PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

PansLegs
Is this really the end? Seems to have come very quickly. Firstly, onto this routine itself - no audience in sight which is good and a decent variety of shots. Despite best efforts it seems to be lacking some pizazz for some reason so doesn't hit quite the right notes with me. Lulu is my DotD mainly for the first moody close-up. Score 7/10.

I have gone through the Ruby Flipper era on TOTP in order as I wanted to see the progression of performances. I noticed Gavin dropped out part way through, Cherry was intermittent at times and missed the last couple of weeks. I think Flick was ahead of her time by introducing a mixed gender troupe with a relatively small number of members on a weekly pop show, but the impact of the two troupes either side of RF means it's difficult for me to adjust to the male presence. Looking back I see that my highest score has been a 9, but I have to rate these performances alongside the others from Pans & Legs. If it was a different show completely, with an all-new line-up then that might not be the case but I realise that RF wasn't really given a fair amount of time to settle in. What was accomplished in the limited time-frame was admirable.

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

Well there's a lot of 10's here. Despite trying I just can't get that excited by it. Supalu used the word disjointed and I tend to agree. During the flipper era the costume quality dropped with them looking like they're wearing the rejects from a jumble sale on several of the dances. A middle of the road 8/10.
Dotd: Floid.
Still living in 1979

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

Gorgeous Daze
If these costumes are rejects then the jumble sale much have been in aid of the Women's Institute.

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

PattiforPM
Yep I thank you sincerely for your comments but I have to disagree here Doc; I think there have always been some "edgy" costumes on TOTP and RubyF were certainly most adventurous but in this Dance they are far far from rummage rejects

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

Doc
The ladies concerned looked good in whatever they wore. They even made a smurf outfit look reasonable.
Still living in 1979

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

PattiforPM
Now we're back on the same page Doc

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

Old Grey Whistler
It's hard to watch this without feeling a tinge of sadness for a troupe cut off in their prime.  It is a little ironic that they are dancing to Wild Cherry given that their own wild Cherry had already flown the nest.
Everyone turns in a fine performance here. The girls all look fantastic and the boys, just minutes away from unemployment, also put in a fine shift.  Floid is my dancer of the day.
Just a word on the guys. Phil was a dancer who I believe was at the top of his game during the Ruby Flipper era. I can hardly remember him putting a foot wrong the whole time. I feel that Floid was serving his apprenticeship during this time. He often ended up with the most ridiculous of outfits, but by the end of his tenure he was really maturing into a fine dancer. I think his best performances were arguably with Legs & Co, and then obviously, Hot Gossip.
My score is 10 out of 10.

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

Old Bill
This post was updated on .
Very clever choreography from Flick, with everyone doing the same thing and then breaking off to do their own little thing. Certainly looks like a tricky one to create and a tricky one to dance, but that's all in day's work for Flick and our boys and girls.

And indeed all the dancers put a stirling faultess effort too with a fast pacey sexy and very funky routine. All super stuff. 9/10.

But the DotD is very tricky here, as is often the case when there's no standout soloist. Sue & Phil's little pick-her-up duet is good - indeed Sue is as usual sue-preme throughout, Floid's definitely a contender, his shrug at the words "white boy" is funny - but what has he got on his feet? They look like some strange platform peep-toe shiny slippers?? Patti unfortunately loses marks for trying to bump Lulu out of the shot at 2'24", Lulu gets extra marks for keeping her cool so well although Patti does try to make up with a long lingering smoldering look to camera at the front of the line up shortly afterwards. But I think I must agree with PBP, Andy and PansLegs. Look again at 1'38" as after giving us saucy little look back to camera with perfect timing she slides between body-popping Phil & Floid without so much as a missed step and a shoulder-barge. Check out the 2 2-second-long little bits between 36"-38" and 1'44"-1'46", look at her moves, look at her looks, look at Lulu.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

AC/PD
A rampant red ensemble piece - and what pieces ! - for the Ruby Flipper finale. Both the men are electric in this one, powered no doubt by the hot floozy element of the strutting, wiggling threesome playing upon a hopefully intended slightly seedy steaminess and evidenced in the quality of the quality. (If not, I've completely misinterpreted the intended theme.).
Although we'd have been denied one final Ruby Flipper pose, I feel a lowered curtain would have been symbolically appropriate and tied in with the back-stepping dance line 10-15 seconds from the end - maybe lifting it for the final shot amid the applause. However, the ending replicates the beginning, commencing paused positions and effectively completes the circle of this particular dance, ending the TOTP incarnation of Ruby Flipper.
9/10
DOTD: Floid

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

The Rubberband Man
Ruby Flipper have been gifted a fabulous record on which to showcase their ultimate and final dance routine. Taking everything to the max (including the split in Sue’s dress), they bang out their final dance number, filled with fantastic choreography and the familiar trademark non-conforming free spirited style that we’ve all grown to love. The showing of underwear, stockings, rouge lipsticks, pouting and stiletto booty shoes all a ravishingly exciting addition.

DOTD to the seductively slinky, sexy, sassy hussy – Lulu. That walk!!!!!
9/10

So it’s adiós, arrivederci, auf wiedersehen, au revoir, shalom, salaam, goodbye and farewell to Ruby Flipper. Thanks for all the fun. Thanks for the duck, TVC15, the see-through jodhpurs, The Rubberband Man, the Silly Love Songs and for Shake, Shake, Shake. And thanks to the host of this sub forum on OFTD’s for all your efforts. In appreciation, here’s a handy timeline reference of the different Ruby Flipper line ups with the help of emojis – Emoji Flipper :-

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

Legsfan
I love the Emoji Flipper, Rubberband Man

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

Haha great stuff RBM.  Gavin should perhaps be upside down and looking a bit uneasy.  You just couldn't resist acknowledging Sue's supremacy I see

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

Lookmacinanger
Goodbye and thanks, to the ground breaking Ruby Flipper V1. Creditable and fluid final track to work with, they know their fate but consequently put on a rousing finale. Everyone gets a decent amount of camera time and Phil and Floid now move on having had a significant impact with their performances. The programmes dancing segment is now taken up again by an all-girl troupe and the 3 remaining Flipper girls are to be joined by new colleagues. But in conclusion, this troupe will never be forgotten and I have certainly appreciated not all but the majority of their routines and still 41 years on enjoy their body of work. 8/10

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

Dancer
This was a fairly good song to end on - a disco classic to many that was always played at any disco and in some cases still is.  The song really did nothing for me and I never bought it.  It did go to No.1 in America and later on I did come to like the song a little more but it is not up there as a classic.  The routine I felt was fairly good.  Not so keen on the outfits but in all honesty it is a difficult to difficult song to dance to.  I liked the girls in this dance and Phil did a good stint as did Floyd but the girls won hands down with me.  Lulu comes through as best dancer to me and I will award the dance ten out of ten.

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

PattiforPM
Thanks Dancer for returning and for your ever-unique viewpoints.  As usual your marks are appreciated and have significantly influenced the points tallies of these Dances.  Now I have to go back to checking if you have finished your tasks on here.....

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

Dancer
I am not sure what I have left to comment on to be fair P4PM.  Can you not export Ryan's excel spreadsheet into here and just amend the titles accordingly for future members as we seem to have a number of new members lately commenting.  Ryan's spreadsheet is so easy to navigate and Doc's too.

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

PattiforPM
You want me to join the 21st Century Dancer?