PLEASE DON'T GO [January]

PLEASE DON'T GO    Dance/performance number 198 by Legs & Co
Performed by  KC & The Sunshine Band   reaching number 3 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  10/01/80  Duration of dance/performance  2.49 mins
Dancers--Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie,Sue

Pauline 179
Sue      178
Rosie    176
Patti     174
Gill       172
Lulu      170
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2fe1dh_legs-co-please-don-t-go-totp-tx-10-01-1980_creation
Images not taken from BBC4 (maybe i should have done) !

KC & The Sunshine band are one of those rare breed of acts that all three of our dance troupes performed to on TOTPs, though this is the only occasion that Legs & Co did. Its a truly lovely record that i consider one of the best from this particular year. As for the routine, well the girls are dressed in wispy white outfits. With the wind machine cranked up, the dancers look like swishing wheat blowing in the breeze. Flicks handed Gill star billing and she takes full advantage treating us to lots of close-ups in amongst her graceful twirls. Gill, like Louise from Pans are what i call real beautiful women and in this Gill is simply that (i think Harry at the end of the performance also concurred with that line of thinking). The routine itself is nothing special, but its not one i dislike.

DOTD--Well its quite obviously `Gill`.

Rating--A routine thats accompanied by a great song which i must admit adds a point on. Im at `8.25 out of 10`.

Re: PLEASE DON'T GO [January]

SuPaLu
I love this one.It's a near perfect marriage of music and dance.They've captured the emotion of the song beautifully.If it weren't for Green Onions and Spirits i think this would be the dance of the month.10/10
DotD:Gill

Re: PLEASE DON'T GO [January]

Gillian's the centre of attention here methinks, although it's a full slate of Legs & Co. dancers, Gillian, seems to be singled out for special attention, as we get more close-ups of her, & she even gets to do a solo piece.
The actual dance routine's a bridal affair, all brides are dancing, presumably one has to choose the bride that impressed the moat, & there's a rather more than subliminal message going out to us to choose one particular dancing bride, & I've duly obliged.

8/10

DotD:-

Gillian

Re: PLEASE DON'T GO [January]

A lovely spot of choreography from Flick who chooses her lead dancer well, for it is in dances such as this where Gill really shines.  This routine was a wow from the moment I first saw it and that feeling hasn't gone away so its the first 10 of the year with Gill my Dotd.

As an aside, which I didn't notice last time, I see that Pauline has stepped into the lead for the busiest Legs dancer so well done to Pauline.

Re: PLEASE DON'T GO [January]

Yes a lovely "marriage" of movement, garb and music is this. (Oops, sorry just noticed I nicked this from SuPaLu)  Gill is simply spectacular at her wistful best and one cannot help but be grateful that we caught the ladies part way through trying on their Wedding gowns.  Seriously though, this is dreamy and magical and clearly took the Singer's breath away too as Ryan mentions.  For me this gets 9.5/10 and Gill for DotD is as clear a favourite as I've seen but I've lost my pocket money a few times at these meets!

Re: PLEASE DON'T GO [January]

bucksby
lovely routine and the ladies look great in white! DOTD who else but the lovely Gill. She reminds me a bit of when she did her final routine on 29-10-81 dancing to the Fureys' when you were sweet sixteen. 8 out of 10 for routine.

Re: PLEASE DON'T GO [January]

Andeebee
First class record followed by a first class routine.

Legs & Co in scant bridal wear dance in the transporter room aboard the USS Heavenly Bodies.

The opening pan up with KC retorting 'I Love you' as Legs come into full view, this boy as well as the others up and down the country replied - 'so do I'.

Again Gill is given a rare focal spotlight (as she did on Baby Stop Crying) all soft focus pouting and eye rolling, with the other 5 lending support, this time with a gentle side to side motion like a 6 headed sexy cobra (if there is such a thing), hypnotizing...yes.

Not the most stylish dance but nonetheless very captivating.....

Scores: 10/10

DOTD: well it has to be Gill

Re: PLEASE DON'T GO [January]

PaulF
Nice interpretation by Flick and beautifully performed by the girls. 8.5/10

DOTD Gill given the lead and doesn't disappoint.
Paul

Re: PLEASE DON'T GO [January]

Young Mister Grace
Administrator
I have to concur with everyone above: an outstanding performance from Gill, in a near perfect routine.

The only thing that mars the perfection is the dratted soft focus. So 9/10

...and Gill is obviously DotD.

YMG
You've all done vey well!

Re: PLEASE DON'T GO [January]

Gorgeous Daze
Life's dark clouds gather for even the Sunshine Band and with them comes a seasonal icy blue ambience. Wispy bridal-wear recalls achingly the pinnacle of a union that now hangs by a thread. Visibility is a 'tween world reflecting the point of crisis. Is this night enchanted, a last desperate plea of poignant beauty set to lift the gloom..?

It can rain on the disco parade all day long when the music's this lovely, and the mood is just right. I like the gracefulness, the swaying, the centrifugal spins, the beseeching to the heavens. It's notable that on Gill's last solo she had already gone and this time she's on the verge. It's the loss of a blonde beauty that strikes the greatest chord. I do feel there are dancers more technically gifted for this part, but Gill scores well emotionally and is the DOTD.

A gaffer-cloning 8.25/10

Re: PLEASE DON'T GO [January]

Colm
Once again, Gill's beauty emerges through the art of dance. Her presence is captivating, and she is undoubtedly the right choice to portray the emotion and the mood of the song as the solo lead. That last lingering slot of our Gillian is simply perfect.

Lovely spins from all the girls here too - I wonder if they taught the late Bernie Nolan to spin like she did on their later turn?

Score: 9.5

DotD: Must be the spellbinding Gill

Re: PLEASE DON'T GO [January]

The second routine of 1980 is dominated by Gill. We also have Sue back from her Christmas Brake. We have our ladies in white bridal dresses looking quite fantastic. The bottom half of the dress were been gently blown by wind machine. The ladies do a great job on this song of K C and the Sunshine Band. It really pleased the writer when he saw the routine, when asked by Kid Jensen.

The Dotd must be Gill a really good performance by her. A really great solo by her and the right dancer for this song.

The score will have to be 8 out of 10.

Re: PLEASE DON'T GO [January]

L&C4me
9/10                DOTD:  Gill

This is a beautifully sung track danced beautifully to. There is a ethereal dreamlike quality to the routine. Gill is cast perfectly as the lead dancer to this. Her smooth graceful manner and dance style stand out as does her radiant beauty. She is always able to hold a simple, straight unforced expression that is elegant, graceful and stunning. This works a treat with her  smoothly flowing, twirling, meandering, gyrating dance movements, all done in the most stylish way. She has consistently had these wonderful qualities throughout her years with Legs & Co.

Strange but maybe it's the heavenly element that Flick has choreographed into the routine, but has she confused heavenly with space? I'm convinced she's incorporated the energiser room from the starship USS Enterprise NCC-1701 for the dance floor.
Jim

Re: PLEASE DON'T GO [January]

L&C4me
Additional accolades: At the end of the routine, the artist KC respond when asked about the routine with "fabulous, she's great, beautiful".
Jim

Re: PLEASE DON'T GO [January]

Old Grey Whistler
An exquisite and dazzling performance from Gill who I think was definitely the right choice for the starring role on this occasion. It reminds me of their earlier routine to Talking in Your Sleep, but I feel that this one is a little more polished. At one point I thought she was going to get tripped up by her swirling dress but thankfully not, and of course she gets my DOTD vote, although the others all perform well also.
I will give it 9.5 out of 10

Re: PLEASE DON'T GO [January]

VintageVideos
8.5 Gill

Re: PLEASE DON'T GO [January]

Andy
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: PLEASE DON'T GO [January]

Adorable Gillusion
9/10   DOTD...Gill

Re: PLEASE DON'T GO [January]

brandonb
Ok I'm going to be slightly at odds with opinion here in that I don't like the song. Well that's just me. I do also have a view that the girls should be dancing to funky/disco type stuff that is made for dance - slower more emo type stuff like this without much of a beat works less well for me. THAT SAID - they do a great job despite that. Obviously the centre of attention is Gill as she has the big solo part - however, the others back her up well - the set and the costumes are well done and look good. APART FROM - if it were me I'd have dressed Gill as the soloist slightly differently. The wedding motif with all that lacy stuff hanging down obscures her leg movements in places - especially with the wind machine playing havoc with it - and so I think detracts a touch from what she's doing. But this is a minor niggle.

Overall 7/10 mostly for a well done dance routine and costume/set which rises above the song (for me).

DOTD - well it must be Gill of course.

Re: PLEASE DON'T GO [January]

Rickh69
CONTENTS DELETED