Pan's People My Sweet Lord Version 2?

Legsfan
I was looking around the TOTP 2 Archive website and had a read through Ruth's interview. She talks about the My Sweet Lord performance
"We did 'My Sweet Lord' and we got the audience involved, doing the Hare Krishna clapping. Although it wasn’t a proper dance routine, it really worked and it was quite moving."

Does this mean there is another routine to the song where they are dancing with the audience?

I did have a look to see if this has been discussed in the past, but I couldn't find anything, or did I miss a previous thread discussing this?

Re: Pan's People My Sweet Lord Version 2?

PattiForPM
LF I think Ruth is likely referring to the audience clapping at the end of the performance we already have, although Vin's database has it repeated twice so I suppose it's just possible.....

It's just when she said "Although it wasn’t a proper dance routine" it made me think that there could be another performance possibly with the audience.

Oh I see, sorry I missed that part.  Maybe she's been corresponding with Vin about this favourite dance of his

Re: Pan's People My Sweet Lord Version 2?

Legsfan
Thanks PattiForPM, but I guess evidence shows that Pan's People only danced to this one once.
I'll close this one for now unless one day there is hard evidence to support my statement.

Re: Pan's People My Sweet Lord Version 2?

Doc
Using the Popscene listings we possibly have
21-1-71 danced to by Pan's People.
28-1-71 danced to by Pan's People.
05-2-71 video.
11-2-71 crowd dancing.
18-2-71 crowd dancing.
25-2-71 crowd dancing and credits. (Exists!)

I've not seen the 25/2 one, but I think we'd know if Pan's were involved, so that can be discounted.
The surviving Pan's performance is either from 21/1 or 28/1. I think it's very unlikely they would have danced to it twice, so it's most likely they danced to it on 21/1 and it was repeated on 28/1, making Popscene in error by not showing it as a repeat.
On the third week I'm guessing they made one of those cheap TOTP videos to avoid having to use the same footage again.
For the forth and fifth weeks it's quite possible that Pan's were used as cheerleaders in the audience one of the weeks. The BBC database doesn't give any clue to their 'backing' performance.

So to sum it up, yes it's possible but it's very unlikely it will ever be proved.
Sandy Borne Appreciation Society

Re: Pan's People My Sweet Lord Version 2?

Legsfan
Thank you for the research Doc! I have seen the 25/2 audience dancing, but there is not any sign of Pan's People.
The strange thing about the Popscene listing is that on the 21/1 is has the chart position of seven and that it was danced to by Pan's People, but it doesn't have the 'survived' indication.
I doubt anything will surface to prove that there was another version, but the whole thing is quite confusing with dates and if it was repeated.

Re: Pan's People My Sweet Lord Version 2?

VintageVideos
Popscene's listings are based on the old BBC database (and quite a bit of guesswork!). The BBC database listed a Pan's People performance for both the 21/1 and the 28/1. The trouble is that there is no indication in the database whether the 28/1 was a repeat. So all we can do now is guess that the 28/1 and 27/12 were both repeats of the 21/1. But we do not know for sure and neither does Popscene.
I've still got access to the BBC database because I saved a copy of it, so I can tell you that while on 4/2 it lists a 'video', both the 11/2 and 18/2 are listed as audience/crowd (just as the 25/2). Any of those two could have been with Pan's People backing but we simply don't know.
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: Pan's People My Sweet Lord Version 2?

There's a number of errors in the listings but I don't think anyone is updating them now. In this case there is no absolute proof that they are the same performance. The Pan's performance for 26/12/70 exists but they still show it as wiped even though it was posted that it exists back in 2015! I also know of a show that lists all but 3 of the performance as being wiped when most of it actually survives and there are errors in the running order for a number of wiped shows where there is evidence available to partially correct them. It is still the best reference available though.
Sandy Borne Appreciation Society

Re: Pan's People My Sweet Lord Version 2?

VintageVideos
When Mark still did the updates, he changed a lot of the listings so that they were in accordance with our Pan's People list. But unless anyone specifically mentions an error, there won't be any updates on Popscene's 70s listings right now.

No, sadly he appears to have been hounded off the site by Savile haters after he put a picture of the unmentionable on the listings.
Sandy Borne Appreciation Society

Re: Pan's People My Sweet Lord Version 2?

Legsfan
I never noticed until now that Savile had been removed from the pictures.