Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops - STILL IN PROGRESS!

Yep, Vin's list is a great improvement, but kudos to Jez for his initial work a few years ago on OFTDs when he first compiled a list.

Im curious though to just how many shows we have no idea has to what the dancers danced too ? Vin when you have some time, maybe a list in the Pans section that lists the weeks from 1970 to the end of Pans when we have simply no idea to what they danced too.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops - STILL IN PROGRESS!

VintageVideos
Hmm yeah that'll be a good idea. I think I'll make a separate list, and I might even incorporate the Popscene guesses into that list.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops - STILL IN PROGRESS!

Yes and there are other Pans lists you may consider at some stage. Like Artists totals for example.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops - STILL IN PROGRESS!

VintageVideos
Someone on 'Popscene' must have looked at this list. They changed a lot of their 'speculative' entries from (danced to by Pan's People) to (disc)! I guess there's no point in including them any longer

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops - STILL IN PROGRESS!

Thats a good thing though. Lets face it, we are supposed to be the beez-kneez at this stuff so sites like Popscene should be monitoring us. It would be great if Neil would come on here and make mention of your list Vin.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops - STILL IN PROGRESS!

VintageVideos
Yeah it's great. Mark Leech, who posted the episode guide, has already made numerous amendments based on our new list. It seems we're taken a bit more seriously now.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops - STILL IN PROGRESS!

Ive made a post on Popscene. Lets hope some of them click the link and visit not only the new Pans list here, but also OFTDs in general.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops - STILL IN PROGRESS!

Vin, just a thought. Would it be worth adding a note at the beginning of this list advising folk to view the list via the mobile forum, as opposed to the embedded format that a lot of us select to view by. That way all of the info can be read on a single line. Ive noticed some of the song titles/bands have long names and they need a second line on the embedded format. Like i say, just a thought.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops - STILL IN PROGRESS!

VintageVideos
I'm usually viewing it on the embedded format, and I don't need a second line for any of the entries. But it's probably depending on your font size and monitor resolution. I'll add a note to the list as you say.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops - STILL IN PROGRESS!

Doc
YMG widened the embedded forum to allow my lists to fit. I think it's 1000 pixels (including the avatar section). Font size would cause a second line if you have set it to big.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops - STILL IN PROGRESS!

VintageVideos
Some of the entries in your lists need two lines on my PC as well, Doc.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops - STILL IN PROGRESS!

Doc
Some entries in the lists are close to the limit and do go to a second line, hence the recommendation at the top to use the mobile forum. The widening made by YMG was give enough room for the thumbnails to fit without a scroll bar. It's not guaranteed to work because you have no control over the font or zoom used.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops - STILL IN PROGRESS!

Chris
re: Popscene
The listings were only originally based on the BBC TOTP2 forum, so the errors are more down to Mr Piper than Lord Leech

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops - STILL IN PROGRESS!

VintageVideos
I've now added links to the song titles. In doing so, I've also included the latest posts on the OFTD blog.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops - STILL IN PROGRESS!

The extract from The Daily Mirror 15/04/71 I mentioned earlier.

Unfortunately I only found references to 3 dances the other two being Feels Like Making Love and Morning Glory. I looked through The Daily Express and found nothing.

I did find a bit of non PC data about Lee and Mary.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Willoway
Should Green River be noted as rehersal footage, as the actual TOTP performance is lost?
...is she really going out with him?

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Willoway
This post was updated on .
It's also worth me mentioning the Keith Badman article in April 2003's record collector to mark PP's 35th anniversary on TOTP. AndeeBee very helpfully posted it a couple of months ago in the pictures section, though a slightly iffy transcription is available on the internet.

I know the chronology below has already been largely rejected in the discussions on this thread but here it is (Keith is very precise on dates, but he undermines it by presented Pan's People as evolving through the period, whereas in fact they already existed, he also doesn't seem able to count to six).

4-APR-1968: Simon Says - 1910 Fruitgum company
Dancers: Ruth, Dee Dee, Janice Kells, Jackie Dalton
Choreographer:  Virginia Mason

18-APR-1968: Box Tops, Cry Like a Baby
Dancers: Ruth, Dee Dee, Flick
Choreograper: Flick

30-MAY-1968: Elvis, US Male
Dancers: All six
Choreograper: Flick

Dee Dee has described the dresses in Simon Says as like milk bottles, she also said the actual TOTP performance didn’t take place, though rehearsals did.

There's also a picture on PP.com that is offered as a potential picture of the Ruth/Dee Dee/Flick performance, though people with better knowledge than I would have to comment on that.
http://www.panspeople.com/?q=node/856 (near the bottom, if you can get past the pictures of Babs in gold paint). Given it seems to be images of young women however, it may well be Young Girl. Then again, it may be something completely different :-).
...is she really going out with him?

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops - STILL IN PROGRESS!

Thanks, Doc. Every little bit helps. I've added the Daily Mirror source in the notes for "Remember Me".

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Aedred wrote
Should Green River be noted as rehersal footage, as the actual TOTP performance is lost?
Yes of course. Thanks for spotting it.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Aedred wrote
4-APR-1968: Simon Says - 1910 Fruitgum company
18-APR-1968: Box Tops, Cry Like a Baby
30-MAY-1968: Elvis, US Male
Thanks again. I think it's generally accepted that "Simon Says" wasn't yet a 'real' Pan's People dance, as they performed as 'The Gojos' on that show.
We've discussed "Cry Like A Baby" earlier in this thread, and it seems it is an error - even though noone is quite certain about it.

But nice info anyway.

An interesting photo showing early Pan's People. The dresses were obviously used on numerous occasions (for example on both 'Beat-Club' and 'Beat Beat Beat') and seem to have been part of their standard gear in 1968. That's why I think it's impossible to associate them with a specific routine.
The fact that we see Dee Dee, Flick & Ruth on the picture could however suggest that it is indeed a photo of their first performance. Let's just imagine it is!