Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Doc
KAL said that the BFI were given a video tape copy of what the BBC hold of the show.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

saintsray
27-2-75: Presenters: Dave Lee Travis & Jimmy Savile O.B.E. (Wiped)

(NEW) THE RUBETTES – I Can Do It
(27) JOHN LENNON – No. 9 Dream (video) This exists is private collection. The silent promo film has been dubbed with the track as per the  PasB notes at BBC Caversham
(30) SHOWADDYWADDY – Sweet Music This exists as part of the Showaddywaddy n1500 Collection that a member of the band taped.
(4) MUD – The Secrets That You Keep
(NEW) HUES CORPORATION – Love Corporation
(NEW) THE SHADOWS – Let Me Be The One
(NEW) DUANE EDDY – Play Me Like You Play Your Guitar
(5) FOX – Only You Can ®
(24) SUPERTRAMP – Dreamer ®
(25) THE ARROWS – My Last Night With You ®
(7) FRANKIE VALLI – My Eyes Adored You (video)
(1) STEVE HARLEY & COCKNEY REBEL – Make Me Smile (Come Up And See Me)
(22) AVERAGE WHITE BAND – Pick Up The Pieces (crowd dancing) (and credits)

If the BFI do have a tape of it, please let me know....
But I reckon it's just the insert tape.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Mikey
So it looks like the BFI listing is indeed wrong then, well a generic description in any case. I'm guessing the Popscene list is not the actual broadcast order, with 3 repeats in a row and a video.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Doc
They're not the only ones to describe the whole program when they only have a bit of it. Chris Perry is convinced that it's the insert tape that the BBC gave to the BFI. The Kal database isn't complete for the partially surviving shows as they only list what they have or what the BBC have told them they have. In most cases they don't show performances that survive by being repeated or in footage held privately.
For most of the missing shows the Popscene running order is an educated guess, so the odds are it will be wrong.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

VintageVideos
Doc wrote
For most of the missing shows the Popscene running order is an educated guess
To be fair, they had no other choice than to guess the running order because the BBC database simply lists the artists alphabetically for each show.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

saintsray
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Doc
Do you mean Caversham?

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

PansLegs
I've recently obtained a TOTP still with Pan's People dancing on stage while Lance Le Guilt sings with a guitar. I can only surmise it must be the 10/12/70 performance of "Cannikin Clink" as the style of the background graphics are still very much 1970, with the oil/light show etc. So it's a backing dance but a very prominent one.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

VintageVideos
Thanks PansLegs. Just to be certain, it's not like one of these, is it:

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

PansLegs
VintageVideos wrote
Thanks PansLegs. Just to be certain, it's not like one of these, is it:
Nope. I have that Knokke awards thing. The costumes are similar but it's definitely TOTP and Lance has a cowboy hat on.

Ah great, will add it then!

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Mikey
This was identified as being that particular week, so presumably the outfits are the same. Any chance we can see this picture?

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

PansLegs
Mikey wrote
This was identified as being that particular week, so presumably the outfits are the same. Any chance we can see this picture?
The outfits are different.
Sure, when I get around to scanning it... along with some other 1970 ones.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

JEZ
Thank you once again panslegs for the info ,much appreciated as ever .I don't suppose there is any more info coming your way about the songs that were danced each week ,you know you posted the songs from 1973 and 1974 a few months back.they were of great interest and value to us .

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Thanks, i looks forward to seeing the pics.

I was looking at this one last night, also said to be from 1970, but was not able to match the background, although it does look similar to one used later in 1973, i don't think enough of it is visible to really get a clear idea of what it is.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

JEZ
I'm almost sure it's the Feb 1972 pic of what was thought to be mother and child reunion mikey

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Doc
Looks right.

Thanks JEZ. I know of a source of information that spans about Autumn 1970 to mid 1974 but it's not a situation that can be rushed, so I've just got to be patient.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

JEZ
That's great panslegs ,any info as you know is greatly appreciated by us ,so it doesn't matter if we have to wait ,the most important thing is that there is a chance that there may be info still out there ,that otherwise we would probably never find out .it would be one of my biggest ambitions to try and get the pans database as complete and accurate as we can .Then I think we can all say we've done our bit to keep the memory alive of pans people ,for future generations to look back on the history of TV dance troupes of the past , because I think the only place a full pans people database as ever been done is on one for the dad's .so thank you once again pans legs ,you're input as been amazing.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Thanks Jez, i forgot about than one.