Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

JEZ
I think it's probably very likely pans did Frankenstein vin ,but I wonder if panslegs can add his thoughts to this before you enter it mate.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

It is of interest as it's the first time that someone has put that particular routine on line. Most of the files that he is uploading as his own are from a collection of missing TOTP performances known as the PVL collection. The owner of which wanted the BBC to pay £20000 to return them to them but they refused to pay. Because of this he became associated with someone who digitised a small part of the collection and made individual performances available to those that offered enough money for them. A missing Abba routine was sold to an Abba fan club for £300.
The sad part of the story is when the owner of the tapes died a year or two ago his wife threw the majority of the many thousands of tapes in into the bin certainly losing some unique TV in the process as the person who did the digitisation only did what they thought they could sell. Some 1976 and 1977 TOTPs would have been on these binned tapes.
The better part of the story is a very small number of tapes ended up with Kaleidoscope and these contain most but not all of the missing TOTPs. It was thought that the tapes were recorded by cutting out the DJ but one of the missing shows was publically shown recently (Sue's TOTP debut!) and was seen to be complete DJ and all, so it looks like the programs were digitised in bits without the DJ so they could be sold individually. There is a good chance that the footage Kaleidoscope have will get at least one public showing in Birmingham before being retired to the archive.
Some of the PVL collection has been passed anonymously over the years to OFTD to be shown on the blog and can be seem there in reasonable condition and without an overlay.  (Use the blog search box as they don't usually show up on Google).

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

DiskoBay
I have a remote recollection of seeing Pans People dancing to Frankenstein on Top of the Pops, but on noticing that it wasn't in your list of performances, I started to doubt my memory. However, there's a possibly corroborative piece of evidence here: http://missingepisodes.proboards.com/thread/6203, in which a member of the pop group Hotshots named Alan remembers appearing on the show and meeting Mott the Hoople and Pans People. I'm guessing that would make it the 8th June 1973 episode (and that the Hotshots appearance on 22nd June would have been a repeat showing). That suggests that there was a Pans People routine on 8th June 1973, the date of Frankenstein being played on the show. It's inconclusive, but I wanted to throw in my tuppence-worth in view of the current discussion.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

JEZ
Hi diskobay ,thanks for the info ,any info is gratefully received ,and I think you will probably be right about remembering pp dancing to Frankenstein,I think the only other contender for that weeks edition could be armed and extremely dangerous by first choice,I know popscene have this down as a video ,but sometimes the listings for a video have turned out to be a pans dance.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

PansLegs
JEZ wrote
I think it's probably very likely pans did Frankenstein vin ,but I wonder if panslegs can add his thoughts to this before you enter it mate.
I've only just seen this but I'm afraid I don't have anything to add for or against it entering this.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

VintageVideos
Thanks anyway. I will enter it as "probably" then.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Mikey
Mirror 21-12-71, the old film referenced must be Tap Turns On The Water

Reference to Hot Butter 28-07-72

'My Ding a Ling' Controversy  (taken from 29-11 and 01-12)

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Mikey
Interesting article from the Coventry Evening Telegraph on the recording of a show, given the references used the show is probably 24-1-74 and it also mentions Rock and Roll Baby as the record danced to that week.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Doc
Good work, the only mistake is the title of the song. It's Rockin' Roll Baby, which agrees with Vin's list. Love the description of Cherry and I have to agree with her being stunning.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Mikey
Yeah, the guy probably noted it down wrongly at the time and then reproduced the error in the article.

Vin, did you want to add the Popcorn thing to the list, its not mentioned at the moment?

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

VintageVideos
Thanks for reminding me. I read the article and then completely forgot to add the routine to the list
Great stuff you posted recently here!

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Mikey
No probs, if i find anything else relevant i'll add it.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Mikey
Newcastle Evening Chronicle 08-09-72

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

VintageVideos
Great stuff, no Junior Walker then but The Drifters.

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but if Dee Dee was out with an injury for Louise's last dance and missing from I Can't Stop possibly for the same reason, would she have danced to TSOP in the middle of these two?

http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Pan-s-People-on-Top-of-the-Pops-tp4097653p4140284.html

Oh yes. Alex M has given a confirmation that Dee Dee was missing from There's a Ghost in my House, that's also on that list.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Mikey
Here is another 'reporter visits top of the pops' type article this time from Sounds Magazine, i thought may be of interest. Its not the easiest to read, but I've resized it a bit so its ok. Maybe the people of Popscene might find it useful as it talks about the running order of the show (12-6-75). The picture of Cherry, Babs and Ruth is nice too wish i had a decent copy.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

AC/PD
Mikey wrote
wish i had a decent copy.
If you click on Ebay's Buy It Now option, it's yours for £12 !

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

PansLegs
Mikey wrote
Here is another 'reporter visits top of the pops' type article this time from Sounds Magazine, i thought may be of interest. Its not the easiest to read, but I've resized it a bit so its ok. Maybe the people of Popscene might find it useful as it talks about the running order of the show (12-6-75). The picture of Cherry, Babs and Ruth is nice too wish i had a decent copy.
A right old mixture of pictures there era wise... with JS from 1970 and the multiple DJs from the 500th show.
1 ... 17181920