Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

VintageVideos
I've gone through my copy of the (now defunct) BBC database for TOTP and added a reference in the notes whenever the database makes a specific mention of a Pan's People routine for the song.

This has lead to the addition of two further entries:
18/06/1970 Fleetwood Mac The Green Manalishi
04/04/1974 The Chi-Lites Homely Girl

Pan's People also danced to "The Green Manalishi" on German TV. I think it's fair to assume that the routines on both occasions would have been largely identical. The same, by the way, goes for "Bad Moon Rising".

The mention of "Homely Girl" in the database for both the 04/04/1974 and the 11/04/1974 is a bit puzzling, as it was quite unusual that the same record was featured on TOTP in two consecutive weeks. However, it did happen. Leo Sayer's "Long Tall Glasses", for example, was featured two weeks in a row: as a promo video on 20/09/1974 and as a live performance on 27/09/1974. Similarly, the video for KC & The Sunshine Band's "Queen Of Clubs" was shown on both 13/09/1974 and 20/09/1974.
Nevertheless, I've marked the entry for 04/04/1974 as 'doubtful'.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Willoway
Hi Vin,

I think the GoJos name was owned by Jo Cook so would be surprised if there was a performance not involving her as the choreographer and her pool of dancers under the name GoJos. I think the GoJo's Simon Says performance was meant to have been later in the April. It feels like 1868 rather than 1968, it seems all so obscure and confused.
...is she really going out with him?

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

VintageVideos
Well, that's the way Ruth tells it in "Our Story", p. 60:

"We were there for just the one show. So, funnily enough, the first number that we ever did on Top of the Pops, on the 4th of April, was not with Pan's but The Gojos, dancing to 'Simon Says' by The 1910 Fruit Gum Company. We hated it...."
Dee Dee also mentions that the routine was choreographed by Virginia Mason, who was the regular choreographer for Top of the Pops.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

JEZ
Yes this pp list looks a lot lot better than my other two databases were set out ,but bear in my mind when I first attempted to try and compile a more accurate pans list than could be found on the net I had very very limited info on what to list it took years of hard researching and pestering people to try and help me list even the small amount of info I could find 'to find confirmation of just a song that we didn't know about was like finding gold for me ,I'd personally like to thank all the people who I asked for help in trying to help me sort a reasonably accurate as possible database ,sue ,Ruth dee dee ,suefan ,corner shop,Alex and the wonder full research from my friend William on missing episodes who agreed to research any info on the dancers for me ,and of course everyone else who helped with their input over the last 5 years or so ,as for pop scene they have copied the pans entries at least twice over the years that I'm aware of ,like I say the list is very much improved but that just shows how rubbish I am at presenting anything but the main thing was it was as accurate as I could get it compared to info anywhere else

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

JEZ
I first had the info for the box tops song from an interview flick once did and she said she did a routine on the first show to cry like a baby she said that they used the same moves as a dance they had done to Aretha franklins respect but changed a few of the steps

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Hi Jez, I'm glad you like the new list. I am certainly the first to acknowledge that the info is very much based on your research during the past years, so without your hard work and persistance this table would not exist as it is. If you find anything that you think is not correct, then please make a comment.

Hi vin yes its a great improvement on my last two attempts ,there are most likely mistakes vin I've made on entries its been so hard to try and put some of the songs in the exact correct week ,but I suppose we are never going to get it 100 percent correct

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

VintageVideos
In the light of Sue's recent comment about "Annie's Song", I decided to remove that routine from the list.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

PansLegs
Looking at your excellent list again Vin, would it be best to use the term film not video for the non-studio items? As it suggests a video recording and we know it was actually film. When TOTP repeated performances from previous shows that was a video recording. Also, for "Having a Party" Pans appeared at the back of the stage with the 'cast' of performers in front of them not in the audience.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

VintageVideos
Thanks for your suggestions. I've amended the table.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

JEZ
My friend from missing episodes has come up with a bit more info for a pans listing and that is for the 13th Jan 1972 edition and stay with me by the faces

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Doc
I'd rather watch Pan's cavorting than watch a perfectly good film of The Faces Jez!

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Doc
Pan's made an appearance with Clive Dunn, unlikely to be any dancing but it is a performance all the same.
Clive appeared on TOTP
10/12/70 wiped
07/01/71 wiped
14/01/71 exists in the BBC archive
21/01/71 wiped, listed as video.
Pan's don't appear in the surviving footage so that counts out 14/01.

As the 14th Jan appearance is a repeat from the 7th, I would say the first date is most likely to have involved Pan's People.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Doc
That's what I was thinking as well.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Doc
Looking in the picture section I found this from ADB  http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Pans-People-pre-June-1974-tp4062102p4094423.html
It says that 26/11/70 was Chairmen of the Board - You Got Me Dangling On A String, Popscene show this as crowd dancing!
Any thoughts?

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

VintageVideos
Popscene lists it as 'crowd dancing' because it was labelled 'disc' in the BBC database. But it may well have been a PP performance. Unfortunately I don't know why Andee was so sure about the picture.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Doc
This article in Record Mirror 07/09/74 confirms Baby Love.
http://www.panspeople.com/?q=node/687
I wonder if that's a picture from the routine?

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

VintageVideos
No that's a picture of the existing "I Think Of You" by The Detroit Emeralds from 31/08/1973.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Doc
To add to the uncertainty Dee Dee said in 1974 that Union Gap were doing their thing with Young Girl the first time they did TOTP which suggests they didn't dance to it
http://www.panspeople.com/articles/1973_09_15_record_mirror_1800px.jpg