Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Mikey
27/11/1975 John Lennon Imagine (Rpt)

This week Pans rehearsed a routine to 'Rocky' by Austin Roberts, they hated it. When the chart was released the record had dropped and was frisbeed. Another routine was mooted but due to Xmas rules this was stopped and the repeat of Imagine used instead.

Pans also rehearsed a routine to 'Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds' this was dropped at Robin Nash's request and they danced to Barry White instead, this was probably the 5/12/1974 show.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

VintageVideos
Great info, Mikey. I've added both to the database.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Dancer
Lovely read VV.  They really played Russian Roulette rehearsing to the Carpenters songs.  Good job I Wont last a day the show was cancelled as the single was dropping down the charts.  This had initially been the b-side to Goodbye to Love and was listed as a double A-side for one week and took a while to break out of the charts.  Hovered at No.40 for three weeks so really people were not going to buy a b-side again unless they were die hard fans.    Interesting about Lucy in the Sky too.  Always thought they should have danced to that one.  Suppose the lyrics were controversial for family TV.  Never heard the Austin Roberts tune.  I get the feeling it is the No.1 in America from early 1976 (theme) by someone else.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

VintageVideos
Dancer wrote
I get the feeling it is the No.1 in America from early 1976 (theme) by someone else.
No this song had absolutely no connection to the "Rocky" movies. It is a very cheesy song about a boy and a girl where the girl has to die in the end. Dreadful to say the least. It made No. 9 in the US in 1975.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Dancer wrote
I Wont last a day (...) had initially been the b-side to Goodbye to Love and was listed as a double A-side for one week and took a while to break out of the charts.
The single version is a bit different from the album version. Many Carpenters compilations contain the album version or even a sped-up (!) album version to match the speed of the single mix. The single version is on the 2CD set "Yesterday Once More" while both "The Singles 1974-1978" and "Their Greatest Hits" include the sped-up album version.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Mikey
I will post the article that talks about the 'Rocky' rehearsal at some point as its a good article, problem is at A3 size its too big for my scanner

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Thanks VV.  I never knew that.  They certainly did some strange stuff with their singles.  The double a-side of Goodbye to Love/I wont last a day without you and then the single release again in 1974 of I won't last a day without you I thought was mad.  Fortunately for me I still have the Yesterday Once More compilation on cassette somewhere.  Must have a listen. I have majority of CDs of Carpenters including From the Top and the The Wedding Album (all their albums in a wedding book).  Their Christmas single too was different to the album version.  Finally the single version of Merry Christmas Darling appeared on From the Top.  I get the distinct feeling their new album which will be released on 7 December this year will be No.1 for Christmas.  So looking forward to that with the Philarmonic Orchestra.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Thanks VV.  I never heard that one at all on the radio.  Will look at you tube.  Regards.

After I'd posted I realized that there were different versions of the "Yesterday Once More" compilation, and not all of them contain the single mix. The single mix of "I Won't Last A Day Without You" is easily identified by the added guitar licks during the choruses (from the second chorus onwards, not in the first one). Those licks are missing completely on the album version.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Dancer
Thanks VV.  It seems you have a keen ear for music.  Most helpful. I will dig the Yesterday Once More compilation out.  The track does not appear on From the Top box set at all.  Regards

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

Doc
I expect you've probably seem Ray's 'Frighteningly boring post' on ME. It looks like the Pan's inserts on Funky Gibbon might have been part of an abandoned Goodies performance for the show as you can see The Goodies in the clips dressed differently. The main part of the song is a repeat from 20/03. The other possibility is they were filming just down the corridor and popped in for that bit, although it seems strange to show so little of them if that was true. Ray's theory is that there was a problem with the filming and the editor chose to only keep a few inserts and reuse 20/03 for the rest.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

saintsray
Doc wrote
I expect you've probably seem Ray's 'Frighteningly boring post' on ME. It looks like the Pan's inserts on Funky Gibbon might have been part of an abandoned Goodies performance for the show as you can see The Goodies in the clips dressed differently. The main part of the song is a repeat from 20/03. The other possibility is they were filming just down the corridor and popped in for that bit, although it seems strange to show so little of them if that was true. Ray's theory is that there was a problem with the filming and the editor chose to only keep a few inserts and reuse 20/03 for the rest.
Thanks Doc!

In the short clip you see of the Goodies filmed on 9th April '75 (for broadcast on the 10th), the Goodies are actually wearing 'Black Pudding Bertha' outfits, which was their next single - the episode Kung Fu Kapers was broadcast on the 24th April 1975, and had the single not presumably been delayed for whatever reason, it could have been a bigger hit than it was....
Funky Gibbon was also much more difficult to do as a TOTP performance than one thinks - the backing track had a clavinet part that the TOTP's orchestra guy famously couldn't play; in addition to this you have the part-live/part-mimed vocals, and 2/3 of the Goodies were, shall we say, not natural singers....

Sorry to rant on about the Goodies.

Definitely should have had an entire pans routine!!!!

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

VintageVideos
Tie a yellow gibbon round the ole oak tree! (a line that wasn't on the original single)

On another topic Ray, is there any news about the 3 Pan's performances the TV Museum have being shown at all? Such as a MBW event.

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

saintsray
I missed this!

Which three!!!!!????? (excitedly)

On Sunday, 11 November 2018, 19:20:19 GMT, Doc [via One for the Dads] <[hidden email]> wrote:

On another topic Ray, is there any news about the 3 Pan's performances the TV Museum have being shown at all?

http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Pan-s-People-on-Top-of-the-Pops-tp4097653p4157923.html
To unsubscribe from Pan's People on Top of the Pops, click here.
NAML

Have a look here: http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/TOTP-ROUTINES-THAT-STILL-EXIST-AND-POSSIBLE-SURVIVALS-tp4009910p4144604.html

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

saintsray
Email me Doc!!!!

I need to contact them and sort something....

On Sunday, 11 November 2018, 20:05:06 GMT, Doc [via One for the Dads] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Have a look here: http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/TOTP-ROUTINES-THAT-STILL-EXIST-AND-POSSIBLE-SURVIVALS-tp4009910p4144604.html

http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Pan-s-People-on-Top-of-the-Pops-tp4097653p4157930.html
To unsubscribe from Pan's People on Top of the Pops, click here.
NAML

email sent (yahoo)

Re: Pan's People on Top of the Pops

saintsray
Replied....

On Sunday, 11 November 2018, 20:53:50 GMT, Doc [via One for the Dads] <[hidden email]> wrote:

email sent (yahoo)

http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Pan-s-People-on-Top-of-the-Pops-tp4097653p4157933.html
To unsubscribe from Pan's People on Top of the Pops, click here.
NAML
1 ... 18192021