Pans People - David Bowie - Fame

Dancer
This was a very good dance which involved two dancers each bowing their heads with this huge metal head gear on.  Again very good.  The girls were all wearing metallic swimsuits.

Re: Pans People - David Bowie - Fame

Doc
One of the few from '75 that is probably gone for good.

Re: Pans People - David Bowie - Fame

I'd say again fairly well remembered D after all this time.
As it happens this is a routine that has come up in conversation in the past being one that Sue remembers well.  The silver headdresses were quiet large, a sort of upright version of Lady Liberty's crown but resembling more the spiked rays of a sun, although the rest of their costume comprised a long black and silver dress rather than a swimsuit, the dresses being a bit similar in design to the 'Boogie On Reggae Woman' costumes with the draped/wrap around effect.
As for the dance itself it was quite static with lots of dramatic style frozen poses and with some other cut away 'frozen' shots superimposed over the top resulting in quite a graphic effect. A bit like the background image of the Talking Heads number 'Once in a Lifetime '.

Re: Pans People - David Bowie - Fame

katy
That sounds really interesting

Re: Pans People - David Bowie - Fame

Anything like this Suefan?

Re: Pans People - David Bowie - Fame

Suefan
Exactly like that Mikey.

Re: Pans People - David Bowie - Fame

PattiForPM
Nice teamwork lads

Re: Pans People - David Bowie - Fame

Any other similar pictures, or is that all?

Re: Pans People - David Bowie - Fame

Dancer
Yes the above picture is the one.  They were frozen as they danced.  It was a lovely dance.

Re: Pans People - David Bowie - Fame

Hi Doc, thats all i have, unless someone else has something better.

I've updated the entry for Fame to show that a picture survives.

Re: Pans People - David Bowie - Fame

Suefan
Been meaning to post this for a while but kept forgetting or wasn't near a comp.
Elsewhere on the blog there is a suggestion that the ladies clashed their headwear as part of this routine.  Now that wasn't the case and to partially quote one of the dancers involved, "'Fame' ...... There was no clashing of 'headdresses ' either during or after the routine ! ......For starters they were too spiky, and also we were not charging around ...... The routine was more static , a case of dance and dance to a statuesque pose ..... the headdresses were very Statue of Liberty in style and shape ...... Rather large and not particularly comfortable to wear .........

Re: Pans People - David Bowie - Fame

Dancer
The head-dresses did not clash but came very near it - almost six inches apart.  I remember the dance so well and still do the dance with other people at work do's.  They faced other and took strides to the right.