Pans People `Madly In Love` !

A nice and unexpected surprise today at the Kaleidoscope event. The event itself centred around the actress Madeline Smith, and she appeared in every show that was screened. She was also in attendance and was simply fantastic to listen too as she recounted many tails of her time in TV and films. While we are at it, not only was she a real stunner back in the day, what a very handsome woman she still is now in her 69th year.

Right at the start of the day (10am) the announcer was going through the line-up for today's screenings and the words Pans People got a mention. My ears pricked right up as he advised the attendees that at 11.00 the play `Madly In Love` contains footage of Pans People right at the start. Not knowing what to expect, i eagerly waited for the hour to elapse. I also hoped my two OFTDs cohorts GD & ER would also arrive so they could share this too.

The play itself from 1972 starred Richard Beckinsale, bizarrely playing a Scottish doctor. His brief was visit a family and cure the father (Michael Bates) of his nervous tic and to cure the daughter (Maddie Smith) of her insecurities when it came to men. To confound the issue a bit more, Beckinsale played his usual character like in The Lovers, Rising Damp etc in which he always got the girl but never quite got to do the bizzo, so much so in the play he confessed to being a 28 year old virgin.

So whats all this got to do with the Pans People skit ?

Well in the first 10 seconds of the play, the sexually frustrated Beckinsale can be seen in a dream sequence in which he fantasizes about Pans People. He his driven to the family's house in a flash car. As he sits in the back the chauffeur turns around and it is none other than Babs, done up in the full chauffeur uniform and smiling at him. He then looks out of the window to see a scantily clad Dee Dee lying on the lawn. The the pièce de résistance. The five girls, Andi, Babs, Dee Dee, Louise and Ruth, all dressed in black basques/bodices with black tights and hair done up dance to a piece of 1970s instrumental music. I have no idea what the music is though.

This takes place on a lawn outside the house. Id say the whole thing lasts for around 90 seconds. He then comes to his senses and basically wakes up and finds himself at the door of the house.

The play itself was made by Anglia television and the programme number is VTR28395.

It was filmed on 16th May 1972 and screened on 2nd July 1972. Unfortunately it is blighted a bit by having a time-code, but im sure we are all used to seeing those. Sadly my two friends had not arrived by 11am so they missed it. So do this just leave me as the only `dedicated` Pans People fan on the planet to have seen this, apart from folk who saw it 46 years ago that is.

Anyway, there is more. Kal did announce that a lot of tapes from 1971 to 1973 pop shows TOTPs and Lift-off have found there way into their possession. Apparently they contain lost performances of top pop acts and also Pans People, yes thats their words, Pans People. Also announced was the finding of a 2 inch colour tape labelled `Pans People` from 1968. However, this wasn't from the BBC, but ITV and in good condition too.

It appears these will need to be spruced up a bit and it looks they will be shown at BFI & Kal events during 2019. So for our subject, the future does appear to be quite exciting indeed. Its been a bloody great day and it just goes to show that attending none-music Kal events can throw up pleasant surprises.

Re: Pans People `Madly In Love` !

Hanway2
 Those Pan’s People finds mentioned all sound like great news, Ryan. I will look out for the publicity for forthcoming Kaleidoscope events in 2019, Hopefully I can get to any that might be showing any recently found Pan’s footage. It all sounds very promising indeed.
 The piece you saw sounds wonderful too, I hope it can be made more available to the wider world and not just end up in a vault somewhere. What are the records with Kaleidoscope on this? It must be required viewing for any Pans fan out there!

Re: Pans People `Madly In Love` !

WOW! thanks for letting us know Ryan. Like an idiot, I totally forgot about the event until yesterday as I would have loved to have gone.
It is very interesting about the early 70s pop shows, so hopefully it is shown at the 2019 Kal music event. I certainly do hope the PP stuff isn't shown on the 8th December as I won't even be in the country that day.

I can only imagine what that short segment would have been like, but hopefully it is lifted from the archives one day and shown to a wider audience.

Re: Pans People `Madly In Love` !

Great stuff Ryan.  Don't you just love these little surprises.  Makes it so worthwhile to attend every Kal event possible.  Here's hoping it shows up one day so that you don't remain one of only 30 in 7.5 billion

Re: Pans People `Madly In Love` !

Gorgeous Daze
Just to add that these exciting TOTP and Lift Off finds will be screened in 2019 at the BFI Event in London in March and the traditional June music-themed Kal Event in Birmingham. How much at each and how much overlap wasn't made clear.

Must chime in with Ryan about Maddie. A wonderful vivacious lady!

Re: Pans People `Madly In Love` !

If I hadn't mis-read my train timetable I'd have been there for the whole of Madly In Love, not just the last ten minutes. I can confirm Maddy looked gorgeous in it. She really is a wonderful lady and as sweet in nature as those big eyes would suggest.

The news of many cans of missing Top Of The Pops in Kaleidoscope's possession is too exciting for words. Who knows what gems will be revealed that were thought lost forever. To see that Lift Off episode will be very special too, one of those shows that pop fans had resigned themselves to never seeing long ago.

Re: Pans People `Madly In Love` !

PattiforPM
Everything'sRosie wrote
To see that Lift Off episode will be very special too, one of those shows that pop fans had resigned themselves to never seeing again long ago.
 Somebody tell Jez but have a sedative ready

Re: Pans People `Madly In Love` !

VintageVideos
Never heard about Madly In Love but great to know it features PP. Someone please get those 90 seconds!

Is that Lift Off you're talking about the episode from 13/12/72 of which a part was shown on the Native Hue of Resolution DVD?

Re: Pans People `Madly In Love` !

Gorgeous Daze
We were told it's a Christmas show...the 13th doesn't seem close enough.

Re: Pans People `Madly In Love` !

Doc
I like the ‘a lot of tapes from 1971-1973’ bit. I hope they’re not exaggerating. I’ll be watching Kal for announcements.
I’ve added a note for the play to the surviving lists.
Good to see Lloyd back!

Re: Pans People `Madly In Love` !

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Pans People `Madly In Love` !

Thanks for the heads up Ryan.  Sounds like excellent news that more of what was though lost may eventually be found.

Re: Pans People `Madly In Love` !

and there was i in my first post trying not to name the Kal source or the total amount he mentioned due to his sheepish demeanour.

Re: Pans People `Madly In Love` !

Young Mister Grace
Administrator
This is all most encouraging.

I love it when my darkest, pessimistic "it's all been found: nothing left to discover now" thoughts get proven wrong.

I must get my financial act together in the next few months, so can get back to Kal next year.
You've all done vey well!

Re: Pans People `Madly In Love` !

and there was i in my first post trying not to name the Kal source or the total amount he mentioned due to his sheepish demeanour.
Yup, that was a bit clumsy of me, but there were about 70 people in that auditorium at the time so I think Chris probably knew that particular cat was out of the bag. Even so, perhaps we should keep this to ourselves among the members here until there is an official announcement. I'll delete my post now.

Re: Pans People `Madly In Love` !

The Rubberband Man
I heard about this on Saturday night. Sod’s Law isn’t it? The one Kal event I can’t get to and something wonderful like this happens It just shows you can never take anything for granted and something interesting can turn up in the unlikeliest of places.
`Madly In Love` is a brilliant discovery and the announcement of further discoveries is really good news. I’ll be buying my train tickets soon for December, and I hope Kal have a teaser showing of something that’s in line with our primary subject of interest at that event.
All bound for Lulu Land