Possible missing link

the spirit of pan
Watching some of the Pans videos I remembered them doing a dance routine waiting at a bus stop and I thought it was to one of the "hustle" tunes that were popular in the mid-70s. Then it clicked that it was "Do The Bus Stop" by the Fatback Band and on checking the charts it was around for a few weeks in Dec 75 and Jan 76. There is no sign of this in the lists but I notice there is a gap on 18/12/75. Could this be the missing link for that space?

Do other members remember the routine?

Re: Possible missing link

Doc
It's certainly the only time that song is listed as appearing on TOTP in 75. It is also listed on 15/01/76 as the playout but we're fairly sure that they danced to Barry White on that show.

Re: Possible missing link

Hi spirit of pan, and thanks for sharing your memories with us. The Bus Stop has been mentioned before on this site as a possible contender for the 18/12/75 by our mate Jez. The original info might have been from Alex Mitch but I cannot find a definite source for the time being. It seems that Sue couldn't remember the dance and subsequently "no routine identified" or something similar was entered into the list. As no new info emerged during the last couple of years, the entry was changed to its current status, "Most likely no performance".
Since you do seem to remember the performance quite clearly, I am inclined to enter it into the table unless anyone objects. As Doc said, the Bus Stop song was obviously featured only on two TOTP editions, 18/12/75 and 15/1/76. For the 15/1/76 we have Pan's dancing to Barry White, so the date has to be the 18/12/75 for the Fatback Band.
Once again thanks for your input.

Re: Possible missing link

Dancer
Pans People did not dance to Fat Back Band Bus Stop.  I remember the Bus Stop performance by the band very well on TOTP.  It was a film of them in concert and in the instrumental break a black girl with a red mini skirt and very tight top with voluptuous bust came on to the stage and danced with the singer(s).

Re: Possible missing link

Doc
Red top not red skirt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeeOPR8bxac

Re: Possible missing link

Dancer
Sorry wrong way round - cant download link.  Remember it very well as the elder boys at school were talking about it on the bus and changed the lyrics to "bust up".

Re: Possible missing link

VintageVideos
Yes I've seen the video before. But it may have been shown on 15/1/76 so you remember it.

Re: Possible missing link

Doc
Loose red top, stripy skirt.

Re: Possible missing link

It was over the credits in 1976.  Remember them performing it when it just entered the charts in 1975.  Pans People never danced to it.  Always queried that one especially when Spanish Hustle was released later and they would have made a good routine out of that one but alas no.

Re: Possible missing link

What is 18/12 shown as on the BBC database? Popscene does not show it as a video.
I think showing as the playout in January is more likely to be a mistake and they showed it then.

Re: Possible missing link

Doc wrote
Loose red top, stripy skirt.

Never mind all that.
Where's the voluptuous bust???

Re: Possible missing link

That is it thanks.  Did she appear midway?  I remember it was a very busy performance in terms of personnel.

Re: Possible missing link

Doc
No she was in it throughout.

Re: Possible missing link

When she comes on the stage and she starts dancing on a side view.  I remember the guys on the bus talking about that bust so well.

Re: Possible missing link

Doc
No wrong again.

Re: Possible missing link

Dancer
Maybe because she was the only woman in the video then.  She certainly could move I remember that.

Re: Possible missing link

Doc wrote
What is 18/12 shown as on the BBC database? Popscene does not show it as a video.
I think showing as the playout in January is more likely to be a mistake and they showed it then.
Unfortunately the BBC database is not very clear about this. Usually they are using numbers 1 to 4 to describe a performance:
1 = studio performance by the artist
2 = video
3 = repeat
4 = disc (e.g. crowd dancing, credits or dancers)

In this case, however, they used a '5'! Whatever that means! For the January performance they used a '4', which is why Popscene lists it as the playout. Though it must be said that those descriptions aren't very reliable. Even a '1' could've been a Pan's People performance. And many performances are labelled as '3' when they had never been shown before!

Re: Possible missing link

Maybe Tina Charles wore her sweater in a later Show

Re: Possible missing link

Doc
Amazing recollection P4PM!

Re: Possible missing link