Possible missing link

Re: Possible missing link

VintageVideos
Be it as it may, we now have at least two people who independently remember the Bus Stop being danced to by Pan's People. So there must be some truth in it.
Besides, we have a missing week which would perfectly match those recollections.

Re: Possible missing link

Dancer
Which is the missing week - 1975 or 1976 editions?

Re: Possible missing link

VintageVideos
18/12/75

Re: Possible missing link

If it was from Alex Mitch, I'm sure he's been proved right a number of times, plus Jez wouldn't consider it unless he thought it was possible. I'm going to list it until there's some concrete evidence to prove it wrong.

Re: Possible missing link

That was the one I watched.  Remember discussing it with the Christmas tree in the village waiting for the bus.  Maybe liaise with Sue but I am 99.9% sure they did not dance to it.  I don't remember them dancing to Let the Music Play by Barry White but the dresses in one of the screen shots on another page reflect the music very well.

Re: Possible missing link

There is a post by Jez where he mentions Alex on this page:
http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/PANS-PEOPLE-TOP-OF-THE-POPS-DANCE-ROUTINES-tp3990911p4042296.html

Re: Possible missing link

Doc
In the post above that he got 2 routines spot on!

Re: Possible missing link

Dancer wrote
I don't remember them dancing to Let the Music Play by Barry White
But Sue remembers:
http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/4-more-uncertain-routines-74-and-76-tp3302475p3308135.html

Re: Possible missing link

That is an interesting read.  I really doubt the Fat Back Band.  Could imagine them dancing to Duane Eddy though as that was a dancing song which would encourage high kicks but surely they would have appeared with all the rare stuff.  As I have said before on previous topics I remember them not dancing at all in 1975 for one week as Mom told me "they are entitled to a holiday just as much as you" and I reckon it was 1975 show.  Maybe they were going for their Christmas party or rehearsing for the routines for Christmas shows.

Re: Possible missing link

Yes we discussed this last year at the annual event.  There was two consecutive weeks I did not watch it the Barry White week and the Eagles Take it to the Limit week.

Re: Possible missing link

Doc wrote
In the post above that he got 2 routines spot on!
Yes, and even though I've mentioned it before, I will say it again: Alex Mitch was the first to remember "It's Been So Long" as a Pan's People performance at a time when the song was not listed at all on Popscene (because it isn't listed in the BBC database either)! He also remembered "Annie's Song" which has recently proven to be correct as well.

Re: Possible missing link

Dancer
Is that the John Denver track I mentioned when I joined?

Re: Possible missing link

Dancer wrote
Maybe they were going for their Christmas party or rehearsing for the routines for Christmas shows.
I know that Jez had similar thoughts when he left a blank week for 18/12/75. On the other hand, we are pretty sure that Pan's People did not dance for one or possibly two weeks in February 1975.

I value your input as much as anyone else's, Dancer. But I have to make a decision regarding the Pan's People on Top of the Pops list. With two people now saying they remember Bus Stop, I feel I have no choice other than to enter this routine in the table. I could possibly add something like 'probably' in the notes column. Maybe we'll be lucky and further evidence will appear one day.

Re: Possible missing link

AC/PD
Vin, may I suggest the entry receives a single word note such as "Speculative" or "Unconfirmed".

Re: Possible missing link

VintageVideos
Thanks for your suggestions. I think it's best to wait a couple more days to see if there will be any more contributions to this thread.

Re: Possible missing link

VintageVideos
Reading all the old comments, especially about Suefan's notes regarding "public transport", I do wonder if there may have been two Pan's People performances on 15/1/76.

This would explain
- why Dancer remembers the video but not the dance (as he missed watching 15/1/76)
- why this dance was not recorded by the Vicar even though he recorded everything else around that time until the end of 1975

This would also fit in with the entry in the BBC database for that show which lists both Barry White and the Fatback Band as '4' (= disc). And last but not least the dancers would have had their week off which they may have needed to rehearse four (!) christmas routines.

I know that two routines on the same show are unlikely, but, as we know by now, nothing is impossible. Any more opinions?

Re: Possible missing link

VintageVideos
Just to add, I have found the original source for a potential routine to "Do The Bus Stop", a post by Alex Mitch on PP.com dated 9/9/2011. It reads as follows:
"Re: 11 & 18 December 1975.
I believe on the 11th the girls danced to Chubby Checker's re-issue of The Twist/Let's Twist Again, which was shown along with a video clip of the artist. The 18th I'M not sure but could have been to the Fatback Band's Bus Stop, again with a video of the band, though this time they were shown at the bottom of the screen with the film behind them. This performance is listed in some sites for January 1976, but is listed with another performance on the same editon but I don't think they did 2 routines at that period of time until April of that same year. The Squeeze Box routine, if I remember, had them dressed in black outfits similar to the Legs & Co routine for Black Betty in 1977. Recently clips for 11/03/1976 have recently turned up, which could mean the whole editon would be somewhere including the girls routine to Harold Melvin's Wake Up Everybody. That would be another great find like the recent ones.
Alex."
Notice the description "they were shown at the bottom of the screen with the film behind them". In another post he writes that "The 'Bus Stop' was a film of the Fatback band with girls coming in half way through, super imposed on the bottom of the screen of this film."

Re: Possible missing link

PattiForPM
Good work on here.  Alex's descriptions and memories are uncannily accurate and it certainly sounds likely that this Fatback Band song was danced to but the date remains questionable.  I certainly don't think we should be dissauaded just because the Vicar missed it.  Two dances in a Show would be an appealing solution but remains speculative I guess...

Re: Possible missing link

Such in depth research VV and well done.  I don't remember them dancing to it at all but that is not to say they did not dance to it.  I have emailed someone to see if they will respond.  I remember singing along to it but I never bought the record.  I have thought about this all day today doing the housework and nothing is coming to mind.  I must have missed it.  I really admire your research on this.

Black outfits were common place with Pans.  They wore black for Let's Put it All Together which I suppose was good as they morphed into one in the chorus.

Re: Possible missing link

I don't think the Vicar missed anything though did he but it is a busy time for them around Christmas so he may have genuinely missed it.