Pre-Raphaelite Pans & Legs: The “Our Ladies in Art” Challenge..

Pre-Raphaelite Pans & Legs: The “Our Ladies in Art” Challenge..

Michael
It was Hanway2’s fantastic review of Pan’s People’s routine for “Love on a Mountain Top”, in which he describes Louise as “A Pre-Raphaelite Seductress and Beauty beyond all doubt and comparison”, that inspired this little challenge, which I hope you’ll all join in with.

Being, as I am, an avid admirer of both Pre-Raphaelite art and Louise, I took it upon myself to search for Louise’s ‘Pre-Raphaelite doppelgänger’.

This actually proved more difficult than first thought, though I have so far managed to locate two artworks whose subject’s countenance bares a passing resemblance to Louise’s:

If you fancy joining in with this thread, you needn’t restrict yourself to Pre-Raphaelite works; any period or style is fine.

Happy hunting!

By the way, if you wish to begin your search with Pre-Raphaelite art, this FaceBook page is a great starting point:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1010019165838622/?ref=share

Re: Pre-Raphaelite Pans & Legs: The “Our Ladies in Art” Challenge..

Michael
Though Louise’s art doppelgänger is proving elusive, I did find Cherry’s:

Re: Pre-Raphaelite Pans & Legs: The “Our Ladies in Art” Challenge..

Hanway2
    This gives me a chance to post the painting I referred to in the review, mentioned above;

                                                        WILLIAM HOLMAN HUNT'S-  'THE LADY OF SHALOTT - 1905'

                                                   Not that it resembles any dancer, but the vortex of hair does, to me.

Re: Pre-Raphaelite Pans & Legs: The “Our Ladies in Art” Challenge..

Probably not what you are looking for Michael but i thought it was interesting anyway.

Re: Pre-Raphaelite Pans & Legs: The “Our Ladies in Art” Challenge..

Hanway2
 Very good looking picture, Mikey, and interesting to see that Flick chose the middle Pan’s period to represent the group.

Re: Pre-Raphaelite Pans & Legs: The “Our Ladies in Art” Challenge..

I hadn't seen that artwork before. What a wonderful concept from Flick, I bet she was delighted with the realisation. It really appeals to the romantic pagan in me - I imagine a reproduction hangs in Lord Summerisle's drawing room.

Re: Pre-Raphaelite Pans & Legs: The “Our Ladies in Art” Challenge..

Hanway2
 The picture is quite reminiscent of a scene Sergeant Howie witnesses on his way to visit Lord Summerisle- I think. As I haven’t seen the film for some years.

Re: Pre-Raphaelite Pans & Legs: The “Our Ladies in Art” Challenge..

I want that painting. And I want it now!

Re: Pre-Raphaelite Pans & Legs: The “Our Ladies in Art” Challenge..

Hanway2 wrote
The picture is quite reminiscent of a scene Sergeant Howie witnesses on his way to visit Lord Summerisle- I think. As I haven’t seen the film for some years.
Ah yes, the fire-leaping ritual. Though those maidens are naked! Purely for reasons of safety, so we're told.

Arguably the closest Flick came to this sort of thing in her choreography was with Ruby Flipper's Tubular Bells. Which I've long felt is an under-appreciated piece of work.

Re: Pre-Raphaelite Pans & Legs: The “Our Ladies in Art” Challenge..

           I can see a lot of RUTH in this painting, not least the yellow attire. Or is it my wishful thinking!

                                      JOHN WILLIAM GODWARD-   'GIRL WITH A MIRROR- 1892'

Re: Pre-Raphaelite Pans & Legs: The “Our Ladies in Art” Challenge..

Great Pic and wonderful find Mikey thanks.  I totally agree about GD's Tubular Bells analogy too

Re: Pre-Raphaelite Pans & Legs: The “Our Ladies in Art” Challenge..

 One other thought I have about the picture is that, although described as the ‘choreographer’, Flick is dressed as if ready to take part in the dance herself.

Re: Pre-Raphaelite Pans & Legs: The “Our Ladies in Art” Challenge..

PattiforPM
Is that Tony Blackburn on the Left?

Re: Pre-Raphaelite Pans & Legs: The “Our Ladies in Art” Challenge..

Who's That Hurll
He looks more like DLT to me.

Re: Pre-Raphaelite Pans & Legs: The “Our Ladies in Art” Challenge..

Hanway2 wrote
One other thought I have about the picture is that, although described as the ‘choreographer’, Flick is dressed as if ready to take part in the dance herself.
Perhaps a retrospective regret on her part to completely step away from dancing when she did?

If EverythingsRosie wants this on the wall, better have plenty of space as its 8 feet wide!

Re: Pre-Raphaelite Pans & Legs: The “Our Ladies in Art” Challenge..

Michael
Hello everyone!

My apologies for neglecting this thread (and OFTD) of late. I'm rather busy with the guitar shop at the moment. It's all good fun, if a little time consuming.

While I'm here, though, I'd like to thank you all for your imaginative and interesting responses, with a special mention to Mikey for bringing that wonderful painting to our attention. It's just a shame the quality of the photo isn't a little better.

I do have one question about said masterpiece, though: why did Flick request for a depiction of Kenny Everett eating a sandwich to be included?

One more thing: I've continued my own search and think I might have found Andi's art doppelgänger...

“Persephone, The Queen of the Underworld”

Rebecca Guay (American)

(Dates Unknown)

  It is quite difficult to find exact likenesses. I have seen several pictures lately with a vague resemblance to a member of Pan's- or even Legs- but not close enough to feel that I am not shoe-horning in a pretty picture just for the sake of it. The closest I have come so far is one that reminded me greatly of Anita. Which is the one I am most likely to post.
  I wonder if anyone else will see the similarity, besides myself.

Re: Pre-Raphaelite Pans & Legs: The “Our Ladies in Art” Challenge..

Hanway2

                                                         JOHN WILLIAM WATERHOUSE- 'THE LADY OF SHALOTT' ( detail )- 1894

       A recurring theme for Victorian painters, based on the poem by Alfred, Lord Tennyson. And reminding me much of Anita in the 'Rainy Night In Georgia' routine.

   ( This is not the picture I referred to in the previous post, but I think looks more like Anita ).

Re: Pre-Raphaelite Pans & Legs: The “Our Ladies in Art” Challenge..

Hanway2

                                         JOHN SIMMONS- 'A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM: HERMIA AND THE FAIRIES'- 1861

                  I can see something of Louise in the face of Hermia in this painting.

Re: Pre-Raphaelite Pans & Legs: The “Our Ladies in Art” Challenge..

                                                                                    WILLIAM HENRY FISK- 'THE SECRET'- 1858.

                                                         CHERRY and LULU, possibly- and a whole barrowful of symbolism.

123