Probable new Pan’s People and TOTP discoveries announced.

Probable new Pan’s People and TOTP discoveries announced.

Just when you thought there may be no more, Kaleidoscope have announced they have been given a lot of tapes recorded from 1968 to 1976. They are black and white 405 line recordings. No details yet but there are Totps, Lift Offs and Pan’s People on some of them! This is no doubt the find that was alluded to at a recent Kal showing.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ELn-duyCrNk&feature=youtu.be#
Still living in 1979

Re: Probable new Pan’s People and TOTP discoveries announced.

The Pan's People dancing to Aretha …. is interesting as the performances either side of it are from 1971. Vin's list doesn't have Pan's dancing to Aretha Franklin that year. Spanish Harlem is listed as crowd dancing in 1971 around the time of the others there.

Sultana, Aretha and Rod are all listed on 7/10/71.
Still living in 1979

Re: Probable new Pan’s People and TOTP discoveries announced.

Doc
One for Jez:

Still living in 1979

Re: Probable new Pan’s People and TOTP discoveries announced.

Doc
The Donny and Marie bit is from the surviving 15/08/74 episode, but was repeated on the lost 29/08/74 show.
Elton's Rocket Man was on several wiped 1972 episodes.

I also noticed Top Pop 27/2/75 on one of the tapes, that's missing.
Still living in 1979

Re: Probable new Pan’s People and TOTP discoveries announced.

Nice to see a bit of Rocket Man, either 27-4-72 or 25-5-72 would need to see more of the set to be sure.

Re: Probable new Pan’s People and TOTP discoveries announced.

Re: Probable new Pan’s People and TOTP discoveries announced.

Doc
I've tried reading some it but with limited success.
Still living in 1979

Re: Probable new Pan’s People and TOTP discoveries announced.

Doc
Apparently they were bought by a woman in the 1980's at an auction. Some years later she took them to an Antiques Roadshow where they told her they were worthless and she should chuck them in the bin! Fortunately she saw Chris Perry on a TV slot and contacted him.
Still living in 1979

Re: Probable new Pan’s People and TOTP discoveries announced.

There is another tape that shows Mungo Jerry Baby Jump and I hear you knocking.

Re: Probable new Pan’s People and TOTP discoveries announced.

Mikey
Presumably these are all from '71

Ooh a test card

Re: Probable new Pan’s People and TOTP discoveries announced.

One set of scribbles details much of the 20/7/73 edition which featured PP performing Spanish Eyes (not listed on the box).

Re: Probable new Pan’s People and TOTP discoveries announced.

I reckon that's a currently unknown Pan's performance!
The next Kal music event and MBW shows could be must attends!
Still living in 1979

Re: Probable new Pan’s People and TOTP discoveries announced.

Doc wrote
The Pan's People dancing to Aretha …. is interesting as the performances either side of it are from 1971. Vin's list doesn't have Pan's dancing to Aretha Franklin that year. Spanish Harlem is listed as crowd dancing in 1971 around the time of the others there.

Sultana, Aretha and Rod are all listed on 7/10/71.
Looks correct shame the image is cut off.

Re: Probable new Pan’s People and TOTP discoveries announced.

Legsfan
One box also had a listing for the 02/11/72 Top of the Pops with Pan's People dancing to Let's Dance, but some of the performances had lines through them like they had been taped over. Pan's People aren't listed on the box from what I can see.
Don't worry I'm still here!

Re: Probable new Pan’s People and TOTP discoveries announced.

There's potentially something in excess of 40 hours of video on the tapes.
Still living in 1979

Re: Probable new Pan’s People and TOTP discoveries announced.

VintageVideos
Interesting news. I agree that the Aretha Franklin routine has to be Spanish Harlem, that's the only one which fits into the time span, most probably from 7/10/71.
The wind blew some luck in my direction, I caught it in my hands today

Re: Probable new Pan’s People and TOTP discoveries announced.

Chris P mentioned these finds to all attendee's at the October Kal event, but did so rather vaguely, so its nice to know they have officially announced it. At that event there was also mention made of a 1968 Pans People performance found on a 2" tape, i think thats a separate entity to this haul.

Re: Probable new Pan’s People and TOTP discoveries announced.

Thats probably enough to keep them in shows for the next 2 or 3 years!. I know these were picked at random but they all seem to be music shows so far, well apart from the Royal Wedding one (time to go to the bar if they put that on).

This tape looks like it contains part of 9-3-72, shown in bold

(7) PAUL SIMON – Mother And Child Reunion  (crowd dancing)  (and charts)
(NEW) CHRISTIE – Iron Horse
(16) DONNIE ELBERT – I Can’t Help Myself  (video)
(30) ARGENT – Hold Your Head Up
(10) LINDISFARNE – Meet Me On The Corner  ®
(NEW) RAY STEVENS – Turn Your Radio On
(23) LES CRANE – Desiderata  (video)
(27) THE SUPREMES – Floy Joy  (crowd dancing)
(2) DON McLEAN – American Pie  (video)
(29) THE HOLLIES – The Baby
(47) OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN – What Is Life
(1) NILSSON – Without You  (video)
(25) THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY starring SHIRLEY JONES feat. DAVID CASSIDY – It’s One Of Those Nights  (crowd dancing) (and credits)

Hopefully they will publish a full list once they have evaluated everything

Re: Probable new Pan’s People and TOTP discoveries announced.

Doc
To quote Chris Perry, it's not all music shows.
"There is a lot on these tapes. He recorded whole shows, parts of shows, continuity, presentation, adverts, comedy sketches, bits of dramas, not just music."

They'll be busy for a while!

Still living in 1979

Re: Probable new Pan’s People and TOTP discoveries announced.

Dancer
Wow what a lovely find.  It is definitely going to happen where some of these people who are not into tech and have some old films lying around that are just perfect for all to see.  Hope we get to see some old stuff especially 1974 and fingers crossed for the missing Ruby Flipper Dr Hook routine which would be fab especially given that one of the group passed away yesterday.