Proposed Pans People yearly polls ?

Heres an idea based on our successful Legs & Co monthly `favourite routine` polls that we conducted over the past 5 years or so. I thought it was quite an achievement to whittle it all down to an overall winner. Pans People have been a bit neglected in terms of this and id like to conduct something similar, though obviously not in terms of monthly winners, instead yearly winners. Here is what i propose, id be happy to hear from anybody else with ideas for this or maybe to improve the format before i unleash it.

I will again be using the Nabble poll feature.
Every Sunday evening for the next seven weeks id introduce a poll that asks you to pick a favourite Pans People routine or routines from the year in question. Id naturally begin with 1970, ending with 1976 on the seventh week.
The polls would be pinned, and last five days in total.
The polls would be `blind polls`,  in other words the result will not be revealed until the following Friday evening when the poll ends and it automatically appears.
All routines that will be offered up will have to be in the public domain. By that i mean be available on either the OFTDs blog, Youtube or Dailymotion.  This sadly eliminates a lot of the routines we have in our private collections, but i cant see a way we can include then if they are not available to everyone.
Only full routines will qualify, no 30 second snippets.
Only routines that were shown on TOTPs will qualify.
I intend to make the polls multiple choice, by that i mean you can vote for more than one. I propose to offer around 25% choice on whats on offer each year. By that i mean if say we have 12 routines on one year, you an vote for three routines. I will make this clear on each year as this will change year by year.

I realise some years are scant indeed on whats on offer, 1972 immediately springs to mind, so im guessing it will only be a single vote on that year.
I really hope our Legs & Co fans (who can be a little shy on matters Pans) will embrace these polls and i also hope this may go some way to revitalize the Pans People comments section, which is still very much active and in need of more traffic, as is our Ruby Flipper section.
When in seven weeks time we have amassed the seven yearly winners, we will obviously have a big poll to determine an overall winner.

One thing that folk may have found surprising on the Legs & Co yearly winners poll was that the winning routine `Heart Of Glass` only sits in third position in our top 100 Legs list in the comments section. I wonder if we will get a similar outcome with Pans People. Currently the leading routine on the Pans People comments section `Average dance ratings` chart is "Loves Theme" and it will be interesting to see if that also comes top when we consider our `favourites` as opposed to how we score individual dance routines.

Ive always maintained that in our comments section score ratings, we are rating it in terms of choreography, production and dance execution, and that sometimes our favourite routines can be a tiny smidgen shy of ultimate perfection.

But favourites is what these polls will be all about. So you need to select routines that put a smile on your face and routines that you find yourself playing more than most. I know straight away what my choices will be. Anyhow, any comments on this will be appreciated and i intend to press ahead this Sunday evening.

I also have an idea for future polls based on the music used for Pans, Legs & Ruby, so thats something for after these polls are finished.

Re: Proposed Pans People yearly polls ?

Everything'sRosie
Great idea, Ryan. I'm all over the place when it comes to watching Pans, so it would be nice to apply a timeline as to when particular dances took place. I know Cherry started in 73 and Sue replaced Louise the year after. And Mary and Lee joined after Dee Dee quit, but I'm pretty shaky otherwise. The elephant in the room, of course, is that (unlike with Legs) many of the routines no longer exist  but I'm sure this can be worked around. For me it would be a great opportunity to put the dances into a chronological order, so count me in.

Re: Proposed Pans People yearly polls ?

PattiForPM
Good idea Boss.  We deserve a Pan Champ and annual Medal Winners and it's another opportunity to watch these fine dances of course.  I'm already wondering how best to canvas for my besties....  My only regret is that I rather like ranking my top dances rather than just picking a few but I know this isn't possible with the blinded Nabble method which is, I agree, the best

Re: Proposed Pans People yearly polls ?

What a great idea Ryan, so I will enjoy voting for Pans routines.

Re: Proposed Pans People yearly polls ?

Its good to hear you want to improve your Pans skills ER. I, like you am very much in the Legs corner when it comes to dance routines, but its always nice to diversify. Not sure im the man to preach Pans, others are far more well equipped, but i do hope the polls in some way help.

Re: Proposed Pans People yearly polls ?

The Rubberband Man
Anything that helps boost my exposure to Pans People and to my knowledge of their routines is welcome Ryan.
Bring it on!

Re: Proposed Pans People yearly polls ?

Legsfan
I can't wait! it sounds like a really great way to discover the routines and find out which one is our voted favourite

Re: Proposed Pans People yearly polls ?

CoffeeThing
Brilliant stuff, thanks Ryan. Doubly good for us newcomers who missed so many polls in the early years.

Re: Proposed Pans People yearly polls ?

VintageVideos
Of course I'm in favour of anything that would bring Pan's People routines up for discussion. I'm currently preparing something that will possibly be published on the blog and might come just in time for your 1974 poll. Won't say no more because it's in an early stage right now.
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: Proposed Pans People yearly polls ?

Sounds like a great idea Ryan so count me in.
And in the interests of accuracy may I correct a post earlier in this thread.  Mary and Lee joined once Babs had left and not Dee Dee.  Dee Dee remained a member of the troupe for several more weeks dancing with M&L on six occasons on the show before she also called it a day.

Re: Proposed Pans People yearly polls ?

VintageVideos
Yep and Cherry actually started in 1972...

All this info and more can be found in the "Pan's People on Top of the Pops" list.
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: Proposed Pans People yearly polls ?

VintageVideos wrote
Yep and Cherry actually started in 1972...
I find it quite profound to think that Cherry began her Pans stint at 17 years and 10 months old. Yet poor Mary 4 years later ended her Pans stint only one month older at 17 years and 11 month.  Total waste i say.

Anyhow, im looking forward to beginning these polls tomorrow evening, kicking of with 1970. Hope lots of us join in and cast votes.

Re: Proposed Pans People yearly polls ?

Doc
I would have been heading for Jamaica in 1970, unfortunately it won't be in the poll.
Sandy Borne Appreciation Society

Re: Proposed Pans People yearly polls ?

Mikey
Glad this is multiple choice, just thinking about 1970 alone there is 2 i absolutely love.

Re: Proposed Pans People yearly polls ?

I know what you mean Doc, but sadly the poll rules dont allow it. Its very colouful and a nice tune.

Re: Proposed Pans People yearly polls ?

Those first 3 years are going to be a bit of a struggle for me and I think I'd batter start re-viewing now....

Re: Proposed Pans People yearly polls ?

Gorgeous Daze
One imagines voting on our fave RF routine will naturally follow once we've crowned the ultimate Pan's offering, Ryan? Possibly excluding routines beyond a certain position in the ratings table lest it be too unwieldy otherwise.

And then perhaps- shock horror - a poll to find our fave Zoo routine? Maybe based on nominations put forward by members.

With RF, we should do monthly polls, followed by the yearly poll.

Good idea!

Re: Proposed Pans People yearly polls ?

PattiForPM
I'm in