QUE TAL AMERICA -- [February]

QUE TAL AMERICA  Dance/performance number 148 by Legs & Co
Performed by Two Man Sound  reaching number 46 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  01/02/79  Duration of dance 2.30 mins
Dancers -- Gill & Rosie

Sue      132
Pauline 131
Patti     128
Rosie    128
Gill       125
Lulu      123
A link to the performance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26p08c_legs-co-que-tal-america-totp-tx-01-02-1979_creation

Who said Belgians were boring. Last year we had Legs & Co dancing with the excitable Plastic Bertrand and now we find Gill & Rosie on stage with this crazy looking bunch. Although i half expect our clever pop historians on here to tell me this lot are not really from Belgium, Plastic Belgians more like !

Some things to look out for. The lead singer balancing on one leg, whats that all about ? The funny little man playing his bongos, note how at times he is struggling to keep them upright. How come in a lot of bands the coolest looking dude is the Bass player. Also listen out for some classic 70s rhetoric from our host Mr Read in his intro and outros.

I have to say i haven't the foggiest what they are singing, but i quite like the tune and the music. I was quite surprised this pleasant ditty didn't at least break the top 40. Anyway, thats enough about this lot, the main attraction was to be found on the right-hand side of the screen. Gill & Rosie blow of the mothballs from their `Is This Love` costumes from 10 months previously and wear them once again to good effect. I know they were there just to add a bit of glamour to the proceedings, but its quite a shame we didn't see more of them. I quite liked the `swimming moves the girls did`

Still i do quite like this, the two girls are nice to watch. I debated whether to offer it up for ratings, but succumbed to Gill & Rosie's charms. 7.75 out of 10.

Re: QUE TAL AMERICA

Suefan
Rosie and Gill are certainly irresistible and deliver the glamour in spades, and boy was it sorely needed at that point in the show.  So a 7 from me for this bit of blessed relief before the main event.

Re: QUE TAL AMERICA

Rosie and Gill look glamours in there pink dresses in this routine. Doing there Latin American movements to this song. The singer isn't a Ian Anderson. A nice starter to full meal later on.

The score is 7 out of 10.

Re: QUE TAL AMERICA

This is basically where Rosie & Gill, are just backing dancers, with an incidental performance, providing some added elegance to the works of Two Man Sound.
They really do look fabulous with their flowing pink bridal style dresses, & it was great that the first camera shot of this act, was of the Legs & Co. pair.

Re: QUE TAL AMERICA

Yup Rosie reprises her Is This Love dress while Gill wear's her friend Patti's outfit and they both put on a good show here, although it's not quite as good to watch as their other backing outing on Red Light Spells Danger IMO.  The song is a bit banal I think but nevertheless the two blondes make this very watchable and I'm giving 7/10 for their trouble and half a mark in this total is for the big bongo player

Re: QUE TAL AMERICA

Colm
No further observations.

Score: 7

Re: QUE TAL AMERICA -- [February]

Quite a jolly little song,but you can certainly see why the producers thought it a good idea to have two attractive dancers there to add a certain glamour.6/10
DotD:Rosie

Re: QUE TAL AMERICA -- [February]

No DOTD for this one Glenn (i know you are a massive fan of Rosie though )

Re: QUE TAL AMERICA -- [February]

Mikey
A bit of an unenviable task for Gill and Rosie dancing alongside this ramshackle bunch. The first time i watched it i hardly noticed them as they get such scant airtime. Can't score this too highly therfore despite their valient efforts and looking great so its 5.5/10

Re: QUE TAL AMERICA -- [February]

Gorgeous Daze
This band do rather invite us to laugh at Johnny Foreigner; it being the seventies and all that. As Mike Read's distantly familiar camp articulation of the Hello Sailor trope reminds us. Me no understand the lingo, but the song could be about all the wonderful K-Tel products that can be sourced from America.

Anyway, it's good Rosie and Gill are there to prettify in pink. And it was a fine directorial decision to open with a close-up of a smiling Rosie playing to the camera. The dancing is nothing elaborate, just light and right for the package holiday sound. Of course we would all like to see more of the girls, but rather than feeling deprived I think of these backing dances as a bonus to the main course. Little did the girls and viewers know that eventually they would become the main course.  6.5/10

Re: QUE TAL AMERICA -- [February]

PaulF
Just about to write much the same as GD, so I will say I concur with the above narrative and score.
Paul

Re: QUE TAL AMERICA -- [February]

VintageVideos
How are you, America?

Me, I'm feeling very well after watching this clip by a group that somehow doesn't live up to its name. Two Man Sound are well-known in Germany for their 1976 smash hit "Charlie Brown" but this is a completely different record with a driving, hypnotic beat. I have to say it grows on me with repeated listening/viewing plus Rosie & Gill look mighty fine here. The bongo player adds a little weirdness, so all in all a very entertaining performance. I'll give this

8 / 10

Re: QUE TAL AMERICA -- [February]

Andeebee
crap song, lovely dancers, Rosemary looks radiant - cheap and cheerful, and plenty of glamour

Re: QUE TAL AMERICA -- [February]

Old Grey Whistler
The song has a calypso feel to it, perhaps not what you would expect from a Belgian band.  I  guess this performance is a foretaste of what we can expect to see in 1981. The girls are looking alluring and I do like those dresses.  They produce some nice movements considering that there wasn't much scope for anything too sophisticated. Would have liked to have seen a bit more of them but still quite enjoyable so will award 7.5 out of 10.

Re: QUE TAL AMERICA -- [February]

Lookmacinanger
Having watched this about what feels like thirty times just to make sure I haven’t missed anything the track isn’t too bad. Rosie and Gill manage to deliver a consummate performance despite the distraction of having a lunatic on bongos and a lead singer hopping on one leg while waving around what looks like a table leg. Great fun, 7/10

Re: QUE TAL AMERICA -- [February]

AC/PD
Just been laughing at GD's K-tel comment....

Rosemary & Gill really do look pretty in pink. Sensational in fact, as borne out by the occasions we actually do see them in shot.
However it's unfortunate that they are not seen frequently enough, due to their supportive nature in backing a band who ought to have brought along a crate so that the bonkers bongo player could reach them properly. Without it, he gives the appearance of an unfortunate victim of the thalidomide drug.
An enjoyable Latin American tune, perhaps it would have been better seeing just the two ladies on the Copacbana dresses, shaking maracas.

Re: QUE TAL AMERICA -- [February]

Old Bill
A tedious but not-unpleasant song. But the Two Man Sound chaps look like they could provide enough stage presence of their own without needing the ladies - but thankfully for us they were called upon, but then sadly not utilised nearly enough.

They look lovely, and the latino moves suit the song. Rosie's smile is as radiant as ever.
But unfortunately they're just bit-parts in this, so 6/10 from me.

DotD is the bongos player, just as well the boy can move as I can't hear any bongos in the mix...
Jeremiah 31:13
Stu

Re: QUE TAL AMERICA -- [February]

Stu
6/10

Stuey

Re: QUE TAL AMERICA -- [February]

Adorable Gillusion
3/10... cos I'm feeling generous tonight

Re: QUE TAL AMERICA -- [February]

Doc
Simple dance but they do look good when we don't have to watch the nutter on the bongos. 7/10 because there's not enough Legs on screen.
Still living in 1979
12