Question about Abba.

  Just a question for you. Over on Popscene someone there suggested that Ruby Flipper danced to `Dancing  Queen` By Abba, on either 2/9/76 or 16/9/76. Now both these shows are belived to be wiped, and as we nave never got to the bottom of the 2/9 episode and who RF danced to is this a possible candidate ? Im scepticle of this though, any thoughts on this guys or gals ?

Re: Question about Abba.

JEZ
i personally would have thought this very unlikely ,i may be wrong though ,but abba were getting towards their height of their carrer at this stage ,so totp used to try and use as much coverage of groups ,singers as possible im almost sure the promo was used everytime apart from a couple of episodes where the credits rolled and the audience were shown ,no disrespect to the lovely ladies from legs but the only reason they were picked to perform to it on xmas day was abba were all ready on the show singing mama mia and to give the show a bit of glamour and variety legs performed to the song instead ,so im thinking its a big no that ruby performed ,pheraps someone will prove me wrong

Re: Question about Abba.

Cheers Jez, also `Dancing Queen` was number one on both those shows so its unlikely Ruby Flipper would be dancing to it anyway.

Re: Question about Abba.

another fact on the 2/9 edition it was the first week at number one for the group so the promo will have definitley been shown ,so i think we can rule out this edition

Re: Question about Abba.

The 16th ? 3rd week into there 6 week run at number one ?

Re: Question about Abba.

JEZ
im still taking a guess even though i dont like guessing at what ive always said from the start and that ruby performed to loving on the losing side

Re: Question about Abba.

Yes for the 2/9/76 performance, the Tommy Hunt song has also been mentioned on popscene. But the 16th, the Doina De Jade show, could Dancing Queen have been on that show.

Re: Question about Abba.

JEZ
not unless it was done alongside the promo coz it states promo

Re: Question about Abba.

Yes this ones dead in the water. I will inform them they have got this one wrong. Thanks Jez.

Re: Question about Abba.

I'm not entering the debate on whether the Flipsters tried their hand at "Dancing Queen" but was amused by Jez's comment on  the Legs Xmas dance.
I must have been moving in the wrong circles all these years if that was only "a bit of glamour".  Jez, do tell, where are the other founts of pulchritude against which this only measures up a bit ?? :)

Re: Question about Abba.

JEZ
pheraps thats not the word i was after suefan you know im a bit thick with my choice of words sometimes ,i was rushing this post so i could get back on chat ,coz they thought i was sulking on there. Pheraps i should have said ,To add a little more entertainment for mainly the male population ,and to cover abbas second hit of the year ,and because legs were obviously becoming a hit with the public ,hence the 2 routines on each xmas show ,dont forget that 2 routines on both xmas shows had only been done once before on totp with pans people and that was the previous year ,and that is why i think they performed too dancing queen ,does that sound better .only i dont know what suefan means with the word pulchi thing ive never honestly heard of that word ,see suefan thats why i assist people to the toilet and serveout and clear up meals for a living ,i dont need to use words like that in my job ,All the words i need to utter to people are ,do you want to go the toilet yet duck ,or do you want sheperds pie or fish and chips for lunch today flower , lol

Re: Question about Abba.

Suefan
Just teasing Jez.  I'd plump for chips with the shepherds pie but my own pulchritudinous fair maid has me on a strict diet since the Oslo episode - not even a solitary Easter egg in sight so far :(

Re: Question about Abba.

Floid Fan
Hi Ryan,
where is this info about RF on popscene. Is it just the episode lists?
Carl

Re: Question about Abba.

Hi Carl, its somewhere on there `TOTPs Chat`Flick Colby thread. There mistaken with this, but i thought i would mention this on here.

Re: Question about Abba.

Floid Fan
Thanks for this Ryan. I'll check it out.
Carl

Re: Question about Abba.

Floid Fan
So that's rather interesting, then. Some database somewhere must have the Flipsters listed as dancing to Abba's 'Dancing Queen.' for possibly the mysterious Sept 2nd edition that up til now we either thought RF did not appear at all or else Jez thought they danced to Tommy Huntley 'Loving on The Losing Side'. Perhaps the Abba info is wrong but maybe it's right. I wonder where they got it from. I guess with the episode wiped, we are never going to get the answer.
Carl

Re: Question about Abba.

No Carl, i believe somebody on Popscene got the wrong end of the stick regarding Phil Steggles BBC interview he gave on there website about 8 or 9 years ago. This was his quote  to the question asked.

Do you remember your debut?
Definitely, it was a magical time anyway. 'Dancing Queen' was number one, you had Elton and Kiki Dee's 'Don't Go Breaking My Heart', Candi Staton 'Young Hearts Run Free'...tracks you can still hear on the radio everyday.

 I think thats what confussed them on there.

Re: Question about Abba.

Floid Fan
Ah. I see.
Carl