Questions For The Forum- 3.

Hanway2
  Q. 3  LEGS AND CO.- An Unseemly Hasty Demise- and Punishment?
   I think that everybody on here, and in the wider world, should think that Legs and Co. were despatched far too early. Yes, the music scene was changing and videos were becoming much more prevalent, so that the unavailable could be shown on Top Of The Pops in a style and weight like never before. But most would have liked for Legs to have continued for a little while longer- three or four years perhaps!  Was this all the fault of one person, Michael Hurll, or was it agreed that dance teams on the show had outlived their usefulness and necessity? Was Flick happy that this course of action would unfold? I, for one, am happy to lay the blame entirely on the shoulders of Mr. Hurll, so my thoughts on him were this. On the Day of Judgement, when we are all asked to explain and justify our individual actions, it is obvious that Michael Hurll will be found wanting. What punishment should be appropriate from the Powers That Be, for him to suffer for all eternity? Is it to push a rock up a hill, which will always roll back to the bottom, or live in a sea of salt water and not be able to drink one drop? Or possibly to be forced unavoidably to watch ‘The Smurf Song’ routine on a constant and perpetual repetition, until the end of time? A befitting punishment methinks, for his crime against humanity. But could an even more appropriate torture be his by right?

Re: Questions For The Forum- 3.

TheOtherOne
I'm feeling a bit sadistic (sorry Mr Hurll wherever you are) so will suggest the entire Stock, Aitken and Waterman back catalogue played on an endless loop for all eternity, accompanied by all that whooping and party atmosphere he seemed so keen on. Yeah, that ought to do it...

Re: Questions For The Forum- 3.

PattiforPM
My attitude to Mr Hurll has softened a bit over the years (maybe partly our own Mr Hurll's fault!)  I do think he played his evil part in the end of my favourite Dance Troupe and lacked due respect for our the Dancers but I have come to see that some kinds of change was going to happen even though Legs & Co had many miles left in their creative and entertaining collective tank.  Even Flick seemed to embrace the change somewhat.  As for a punishment I think perhaps Mr Hurll could have been forced into some kind of post-Max-Headroom role, perhaps Minimum Legroom, presenting slow unpartyable non-charting ballads from the past to a tiny unfaithful audience in Black and White on BBC2.

Re: Questions For The Forum- 3.

Hanway2
PattiforPM wrote
  As for a punishment I think perhaps Mr Hurll could have been forced into some kind of post-Max-Headroom role, perhaps Minimum Legroom, presenting slow unpartyable non-charting ballads from the past to a tiny unfaithful audience in Black and White on BBC2.
 I quite like the sound of this programme though, P4PM, it would be the sort of thing I would watch.

Re: Questions For The Forum- 3.

PattiforPM
LOL must admit I did have you in mind H2

Re: Questions For The Forum- 3.

Everything'sRosie
I think Sue should shoot him with a compressed gas bullet, like James Bond did to Dr Kananga in Live And Let Die. Hurl would then blow up like a balloon and explode on the ceiling of Studio 1. Then after blowing on the gun barrel, Sue would give a wink to camera and quip sardonically: "Well, he always did have an over-inflated opinion of himself."

Re: Questions For The Forum- 3.

Doc
I think the record companies slow uptake in realising the power of the video possibly gave us a year or two extra of L&C. The end was coming anyway but Hurll’s need to continually tinker with things hurried it up a little.
I’d make him have to be a cheerleader on the show with another Michael Hurll ordering him to be happy and cheerful.
Still living in 1979

Re: Questions For The Forum- 3.

AC/PD
Punishment for Mr Hurll?
Being coerced into dancing along to The Birdie Song on a loop, only being allowed to stop through either exhaustion or a smile breaking out on his face,,,the former being the more likely of the two.

Re: Questions For The Forum- 3.

We will all be found wanting H.

Re: Questions For The Forum- 3.

Mikey
Ah yes Michael Hurll, who said in this interview the first thing he did was get rid of Pans People!, have you seen this Hanway, very cringey. The first thing?, it was well over a year Michael and it was Legs & Co.

https://youtu.be/ylSKCYST3fY?t=212

He seems like a typical tv exec, probably more interested in chasing ratings than the music. If this was his decision to 'get rid of the dancers' then hes also forgotten Zoo. On that point Im sure Flick was keen in having carte blanche to pick and choose whomever she wanted for the Zoo format, its intention was to reinvent the dance item on the show, which ultimatley failed and was gone with 2 years was probably thought as being progressive, but more Legs & Co would have been just the ticket for me.

Re: Questions For The Forum- 3.

AC/PD
When watching the BBC4 repeats (and filling in the Savile/DLT gaps where necessary) what's apparent is that Legs & Co. most definitely moved with the times, becoming in the process more than adept at being relevant to the changing music/broadcasting scene in 1981.

Re: Questions For The Forum- 3.

Hurll's attitude towards female dancers meant he would get rid of Legs & Co sooner rather than later.I think they had a very good run but  had absolutely had no future with Hurll.I wonder if it might have been wiser had Legs left the show earlier when they knew Hurll's attitude but that might not have been possible given they were BBC employees.
As for 'unseemly' demise,i do wish they had been given a good song to end on,but Hurll was sidelining them as cheerleaders just like Zoo in order to change the audience perception of 'dancers' then slowly drop them when nobody would care.

Re: Questions For The Forum- 3.

Dolly
I think L+C should have continued.
What a mistake! I think it was a dumb idea to drop them just at their height! They looked better than ever and danced better than ever. Think about all the hit songs they could have performed to, all the fantastic routines we could have seen. Personally, I think Zoo was confusing. There were too many people on stage, too much going on at once. Plus they weren't as personable as the ladies, they didn't smile or look as though they were enjoying themselves.
I don't think Zoo was necessary. There was already a party atmosphere called L+C!
Dolly💋

Re: Questions For The Forum- 3.

Its easy for all and sundry to blame the Executive Producer for Legs demise on the show, and i have no problem making him the fall guy for it. But lets also remember that our esteemed choreographer was also ready for a bit of a change and openly welcomed and encouraged the chance to work full time once again with a mixed-gender dance troupe. I suppose it offered new challenges for her and new people to work with. So as far as im concerned Flick is also in the blame game.

But as Dolly has just pointed out and many others too, Legs & Co we're just coming on nicely to the boil when the the kettle was switched off as it were. I doubt they had reached any way near their peak. I do though also take onboard that promo pop videos were becoming more and more prevalent on TOTPs, and, as shown by Zoo's ultimate passing, Legs & Co or any resident dancing troupe would have ended by 1983 anyway.

Re: Questions For The Forum- 3.

Forcibly diluted by backing dances though she was, at the time her third troupe got Hurlled off the show Flick's choreography was as strong and inventive as it had ever been. And the talent and beauty of her selected six remained entirely undimmed. Certainly they should have continued, it wasn't as if dance routines were disappearing from the show quite yet. Instead we're left with two years of hit and miss experimentation from performers largely lacking the charm and personality of Legs & Co or enough exposure to enter the nation's heart.

To name one recently considered song as an example of what we lost, imagine the likely effervescence and joy-spreading of a Let's Groove interpreted by Legs & Co, and compare to the somewhat more niche appeal of Zoo's offerring.

I think though Mr Hurll wasn't quite the autocrat some imagine he does shoulder most of the blame for Legs getting their cards. But I'm prepared to let bygones be bygones. I think the party atmosphere worked very well actually, once he had toned it down a bit and it wasn.t too OTT.
Steve