Questions For The Forum- 4.

Hanway2
   Q. 4  THE GO-JOS- Should They Have Survived Longer on Top Of The Pops?
      Perhaps not many are that interested in The Go-Jos, but I certainly am, and I think that it is a shame that the have been largely forgotten as a dance troupe on Top Of The Pops. No doubt this is partly because there is only one surviving routine, that we know about, for Reflections by The Supremes, and also because of the enormous fame and popularity of the group which followed them- Pan’s People. I have wondered if The Go-Jos could have kept going on the show, at least a year or two longer. Pan’s People were not weekly regulars until the beginning of 1970, nearly two years after their first appearance. The Go-Jos final one was, it is stated, in June 1968. Could the two dance groups have worked in tandem for a period of time, alternating each week, or each fortnight, for another year or so? I like the idea, and I would like to be able to see more TOTPs routines by The Go-Jos, such as their long lost interpretations of ‘These Boots Are Made for Walkin’’ and ‘Jumpin’ Jack Flash’,  but that seems impossible now. How typical was the ‘Reflections’ dance and costumes to their general oeuvre? As much as I love Pan’s People, it is sad that the predecessors have been mostly written out of the programmes history. I feel they have been overlooked, but clearly the suggestion of having two teams of dancers on the show would NOT have worked in my opinion, and one had to go. It is right that Pan’s People, the newer and more modern troupe survived.

Re: Questions For The Forum- 4.

Mikey
Yeah, we dont know enough about this group and the reasons for the changeover to do any analysis on this, a lost era indeed. Im just glad Pans did ultimatley win the battle and manage to stay on the show for an impressive 8 year run. I wonder what prompted them to hire the GoJos in the first place as they didnt start until the end of the 1964.

Re: Questions For The Forum- 4.

Willoway
Mikey wrote
 I wonder what prompted them to hire the GoJos in the first place as they didnt start until the end of the 1964.
Jo Cook describes how she got the gig on another site

And every night we'll have a dance
Cause what's a vacation without romance

Re: Questions For The Forum- 4.

Hanway2
     Thank you very much for that detail, Willoway. Could you let me know which website it is from as I would like to have a look round there?
  I was going to answer to Mikey's post that I thought the history of The Gojos time on Top Of The Pops is now rather cloudy and I was wondering how the group managed to procure the position on the show. That does go a long way to clear that up. But I am still interested in learning more if there is more to learn.
  We know that the Gojos were not given a regular weekly spot, like Pans and Legs were to have later. But Alan Freeman's introduction to the 'Reflections' routine clearly implies that they were a well known part of the programme- certainly at that point, Christmas 1967. So must have been seen often enough on the programme to be established in their position.
  Also, I would like to know more about the exact circumstances why their tenure on TOTPs came to end and Pan's People became the new thing on the show.

Re: Questions For The Forum- 4.

Willoway
Hanway2 wrote
Thank you very much for that detail, Willoway. Could you let me know which website it is from as I would like to have a look round there?
The site is in the link.

Hanway2 wrote
Also, I would like to know more about the exact circumstances why their tenure on TOTPs came to end and Pan's People became the new thing on the show.
The transition is always a bit difficult to pin down and has been discussed a lot in the past. Interesting quote from the site above giving Jo Cook's perspective
Jo told me that she was at home one evening when she recieved a telephone call from Linda. Linda said to Jo "Are you watching Top of the Pops? There's a new group of dancers on there!". This was the first time that Jo, or any of the Gojos, knew that they had been replaced. The BBC didn't bother to tell them. It was the BBC that edged them out - not Pan's People.
Linda is Linda Hotchkin, in my avatar.
They carried on for a few years in any case, including Morecambe and Wise and Val Doonican shows.

And every night we'll have a dance
Cause what's a vacation without romance

Re: Questions For The Forum- 4.

Hanway2
  Thank you for pointing that out to me, I had missed that link to the old website when reading your message. Going through Jo Cook's interview on that page has cleared up a few of the queries I had about the Gojos on TOTPs and other programmes, but there is another more general thought I have about the whole issue of the dancers on the show in the 1960s.
  There is the report that in about May 1968 two, or possibly three, members of PP were asked to perform to 'Young Girl' by the Union Gap- which then helped lead to the group becoming the regular troupe on the show. How often would that happen on TOTPs that a small number of professional dancers would be asked to appear during the 60s- away from the regular teams of The Gojos and Pan's People?

Re: Questions For The Forum- 4.

Willoway
Hanway2 wrote
  There is the report that in about May 1968 two, or possibly three, members of PP were asked to perform to 'Young Girl' by the Union Gap- which then helped lead to the group becoming the regular troupe on the show. How often would that happen on TOTPs that a small number of professional dancers would be asked to appear during the 60s- away from the regular teams of The Gojos and Pan's People?
Sure there must be a few, but definitely Diane South appeared in early '68, and possibly Sandy Sargeant later on that year, separate (probably) to the GoJos and PP.

Here's a history on the details of the switchover to PP, it may or may not be accurate. So you can add Janie or Janice Kells and Jackie Dalton to the list.
http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Pans-People-pre-June-1974-tp4062102p4094076.html
And every night we'll have a dance
Cause what's a vacation without romance

Re: Questions For The Forum- 4.

Mikey
So The GoJos didnt do anything wrong but the irregular nature of their performances and somewhat relaxed attitude to allowing other dancers to perform in 1968 helped Pans get a foot in the door and the rest is history.

Re: Questions For The Forum- 4.

Willoway
Mikey wrote
So The GoJos didnt do anything wrong but the irregular nature of their performances and somewhat relaxed attitude to allowing other dancers to perform in 1968 helped Pans get a foot in the door and the rest is history.
I think the die was cast when the BBC held an open audition with a new choreographer to perform for a particular song (Simon Says) - I wonder if this was due to GoJo unavailabiilty. Strange the GoJos didn't have any idea this was happening, based on the Linda Hotchkin quote; you'd imagine BBC auditions would always be known to all dancers/choreographers.

Possibly a new group of dancers may have emerged round the choreographer used for this routine, however the Pans People members managed to get the next performance to just themselves, including choreography.
And every night we'll have a dance
Cause what's a vacation without romance

Re: Questions For The Forum- 4.

Mikey
Theres an interesting stat on this page of the 'dont throw it away' brochure, where they claim by June 1969 they appeared on 81 tv shows (1 every 9 days), what happened to all this? . Anyway given this prolific workload it could be that doing TOTPs was another string to the bow rather than expecting it to turn into a serious commitment at this early stage (thus grabbing the dancers spot from the GoJos), but they managed to do it at the right time. Just a thought.

Re: Questions For The Forum- 4.

Dolly
Wow. It's hard to believe this picture is 50 years ago! Sometimes I forget how vintage these pictures and routines are. The ladies seem so timeless.
Dolly💋