Questions For The Forum- 9.

    ( This question seems so obvious that I apologise if something like this has been brought forward before. )

   It was a crime and a scandal and it was seen on National Television in front of millions of viewers. The dance team on Top Of The Pops are performing a delightful routine to the Bee Gees song ‘Tragedy’. Then tragedy occurred right in the studio. A gun shot rang out and a dancer slumps lifelessly on top of a chair. A whole country is in shock and disbelief. But, who killed Rosie, the dancer with Legs and Co? Who are the possible culprits?

1- An Angry Colleague?  None of whom showed any inclination to call the emergency services. And Patti seemed to know full well that Rosie would not be able to hold the rose she offered.
2- A Jealous Rival? Were any members of Hot Gossip seen in the vicinity that evening? And do all the members of that troupe have cast iron alibis for their actions and whereabouts at the time of the event?
3- The Spurned Lover? Facing a life of desolation in which his Sweetheart Rosie would be playing no part. Surely enough to drive any man into a state of extreme desperation?
4- A Wronged Wife? Could you name a married man who would refuse an encounter and dalliance with the Fair Rosie? Would not any wife would seek retribution in her despair?
5- A Financial Embarrassment? Did Rosie lend money to a ‘hard luck story’, who now has difficulties in repaying the debt? Is it likely that Rosie would be a hard hearted creditor, or was the man a complete rogue of the highest order?
6- A Wretched BBC Insider? Who knew how popular the dance team Legs and Co were with the nation. Yet was determined to terminate their employment by the foulest means possible, in his state of mental distress.
7- A Case Of Mistaken Identity? Was another member of Legs and Co. the intended victim? And was the assassin confused by the facial make up into the fatal error? Which member of the troupe could be the real target of an assailant? And why?
8- Another Solution Completely? Perhaps not mentioned so far, but could another motive be uncovered that establishes all the known facts without doubt, and brings forward the murderer with total certainty?

To whom will the spirit of the ghostly Rosie, risen in the ultimate moments of the number, point the finger of blame?

    The clues are all there, if only a detective with great powers of deduction and calm reasoning could step forward to unravel the case. Who is the guilty party? Rosie must be avenged.

Re: Questions For The Forum- 9.

Hanway2
   This question was posted briefly on Friday 15th November. Then taken down over a misunderstanding, which has now been cleared up.

Re: Questions For The Forum- 9.

AC/PD
9. Pretence Badly

Re: Questions For The Forum- 9.

Hanway2
AC/PD wrote
9. Pretence Badly
  Yes, I now know what that means. Thanks AC/PD.

Re: Questions For The Forum- 9.

Hanway2
    Early investigations into the dreadful crime have thrown up two more possible suspects that need to be examined closely.

 10- The Disgruntled DJ? Is Dave Lee Travis as jovial and avuncular as he seems? Is he hiding a dark secret within his cheerful and playful disposition? And what exactly was he doing behind the cameras that day?
 11- The Overwrought Choreographer? Has the immense pressure to create original and ground breaking dance routines every week began to tell on Miss Colby? Was she seen acting strangely and out of character, as though she knew something was amiss, that evening. But did she know because the outrage would be set off by her very own hand?

  Are the rest of Legs and Co. in danger, until the perpetrator is brought forward and exposed?

Re: Questions For The Forum- 9.

Kudos to you Hanway for thinking up these well thought out and amusing `Whodunits', but i see only one crime thats been committed in this routine and thats the naff ending. Let me try to explain.

The routine in my mind is to be considered a masterpiece in terms of choreography and deliverance. My only real gripe is the fact that Rosie comes back to life, and to makes matters worse the limp wristed wave only exasperates my frustration. The ending should have concluded with Rosie remaining prone and obviously lifeless on the chair with the camera pulling back slowly and then curtains that close on the scene. For shock value that would have worked and made a lasting impression.

I can only assume that they (BBC/Robin/Flick) considered that vulnerable and feeble minded people at home in television land who maybe could have took the thing as being real, hence the directive that Rosie must come back to life. Heck, viewers of soaps are well known for believing what they see on screen.

It could be though i just do not understand the full Pierrot meaning or indeed the routine meaning. Maybe the resurrection of Rosie is some kind of triumph out of tragedy and im simply missing the point.

Re: Questions For The Forum- 9.

AC/PD wrote
9. Pretence Badly
Never heard of him.
Still living in 1979

Re: Questions For The Forum- 9.

 The origins of Pierrot and his associates like Harlequin and Columbine are rather complicated and  are unnecessary to spend too much time on here.
I agree with you about Rosie’s limp reincarnation and that it would have been more dramatic and a bigger tragedy if she had not stirred and that for that reason she was better off dead. In the routine of course!!
Perhaps Flick wanted to show us that no clowns/Pierrots were harmed in this routine.

Re: Questions For The Forum- 9.

SuPaLu
It's been said that TOTP was very much BBC Light Entertainment,and in that context i can understand why Rosie came back to life.If in some hyperthetical world where Rosie was in a drama like Killing Eve and she got shot then she would stay shot.

Re: Questions For The Forum- 9.

AC/PD
SuPaLu wrote
It's been said that TOTP was very much BBC Light Entertainment,and in that context i can understand why Rosie came back to life.If in some hyperthetical world where Rosie was in a drama like Killing Eve and she got shot then she would stay shot.
Not necessarily.
Villanelle's 'manager' Konstantin survived a Series 1 shooting to appear in Series 2 and it's a fair bet that Eve herself will not allow being shot by her nemesis at the conclusion of Series 2 to prevent herself from appearing in Series 3.

Re: Questions For The Forum- 9.

Doc
If she’d been in Dallas, she would have woken up and found Bobby Ewing in the shower and realised it was all a dream.
Still living in 1979

Re: Questions For The Forum- 9.

The Rubberband Man
Surely no coincidence that the TOTPs episode after the "Tragedy" incident, the girls dance to "I Will Survive"

Re: Questions For The Forum- 9.

PattiforPM
Genius RBM

Re: Questions For The Forum- 9.

PattiforPM
I think the crime was the first in a series of sabotage attempts by a supporter of Lexit, an organization devoted to the 1981 Doomsday theory and who arranged for Legs & Co to back such ugly and subversive acts as Gene Farrow, Fred Wedlock, Bad Manners and Tenpole Tudor in an attempt to associate them with distasteful humans and lessen the blow of their eventual demise.