Questions for Anita Chellamah (her answers begin on page 2)

Locked 70 messages Options

Questions for Anita Chellamah (her answers begin on page 2)

I have the great pleasure in announcing that Anita has decided she would like to take part in a question and answer thread on OFTDs. She will become the 5th member of Legs & Co to do so. This is great news for not only the site here, but for all fans of TOTPs dancers, as she was the last to join Legs & Co before their demise in 1981.

I invite you all to ask Anita questions.

I understand that she will be answering these questions within the next few weeks, so I do hope we can come up with quite a few for her to reply to. I will go first.

Hi Anita. Can I thank you for taking part in the 5th of our Legs & Co `Q&As`.

Its truly an honour to have you aboard.

I think the members here will have lots of questions for you, but i will start by asking some.....

1 - How did you come about auditioning for one of the most famous dance troupes on TV, as when Pauline left in March Legs continued on for two months without a new member.

2 - How was your first day with Legs & Co, I would assume being the new girl (and having some big shoes to fill after Pauline's departure - not saying Pauline has big shoes) it was nerve wracking especially as the five girls have been dancing together since 1976.

3 - Did you have to audition again for Zoo or was it a transition from one troupe to another, whereas the other 5 Legs didn't go on to be in Zoo. Were you single out by Flick to continue??

4 - Can you sum up the other five girls of Legs & Co in one sentence or less.

5 - Were your talents always dancing and then gravitate to singing, or was singing your first love

6 - I do own the Toto Coelo LP (for my sins - great track is Dracula's Tango) how did this come about, as the previous year you were dancing with legs & Co and Zoo dancing to records on TOTP, the next in a band singing on TOTP.

7 - As Ros Holness was in the band, did you every meet her dad and were you tempted to ask 'Can I have a 'P' please, Bob?'

8 - My favs from 1981 are 'One Day in Your Life' - Hands Up (Give Me Your Heart) - 'You'll Never Know' to name three - are their any personal favourites from your tenure that you like and dislike.

9 - I would assume you were disenchanted with being relegated to backing dancers in the latter half of 1981, did you think Legs should of continued onwards or did you think it was time to move on after such a short stint as a dancer.

Re: Questions for Anita Chellamah

Hi Anita. Thanks for agreeing to take part in this.

1--What memories do you have of your audition. Were any of Legs & Co in attendance as well as Flick ?

2--When you made your debut with Legs on 28th of May 1981 did you have a feeling of inevitability that their Totps days would soon be over or was the feeling that they still had a few years left in them on Totps ?

3--Had you appeared on TV before you was with Legs & Co, maybe in other television dancing ?

4--Anita, if you need a reminder of the dances you took part in during your spell with Legs, then please refer to this list i prepared.
http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Routines-on-TOTPs-that-feature-Anita-with-Legs-Co-tp4007530.html

Ive always enjoyed you taking the lead in `Rainy Night In Georgia` and how you timidly handled your gun in `Hands Up`. Do you remember both those dances ?

Re: Questions for Anita Chellamah

bucksby
Oh great news. I have been absent from the blog most of last week as my sister in law is over from the states. anyway I will get my thinking cap on!

Re: Questions for Anita Chellamah

bucksby
Hello Anita!

Great to have you on here. I believe we have communicated on Facebook a bit (my name is Carl)  Am I right in thinking you are from Newcastle originally? I am from Hartlepool so quite close!

Anyway here are some questions from my little grey cells:

(1) Who was your favourite top of the pops presenter (I always ask this as I am a big fan of the show)

(2) What was your favourite Zoo routine? and is there a Zoo routine that you would have liked to have taken part in but didn't for example a routine done after you left.

(3) How did Toto Coelo come around? Do you remember much about your Totp performances? (on 12-8-82, 26-8-82) I do own I eat cannibals & Dracula's tango on 7" & 12"

(4) Do you prefer singing, dancing or acting? (weren't you in the Bill at one point?)

(5) What plans do you have for the future?

thanks for answering my questions Anita. all the best

Stu

Re: Questions for Anita Chellamah

Stu
Hi Anita, great to have you on here, thanks so much for taking part.

1. What was your personal highlight from your time with L&C?
2. Have you ever met Pauline?
3. Do watch the TOTP's re-runs, and if so are you excited/nervous about your upcoming appearances?
4. How did you find out about this website, and what do you think of it?
5. What question would you like to ask the members on here?

Once again many thanks for taking part in this.

Stuey

Re: Questions for Anita Chellamah

Additional from me (post updated as I posted the same question that PD did below me -thought I'd let PD have that one)

10 - As you tour and sing extensive nowadays (please see Anita's Facebook page for details) are you more recognized for your dancing or singing career)

11 - Is there any jokes or japes that were played on each other during your time with Legs & Co (in studio and on tour)

Re: Questions for Anita Chellamah

Thanks ADB for arranging this.

Welcome to OFTD's, Anita : the site where you'll always be remembered!

1) During your early days with Legs & Co. did any of the other five take you under their wing or was it a case of having the necessary confidence and dance ability to literally stand on your own two feet?

2) Do you remember any tips or advice given to you by any of the other ladies when becoming a member of Legs & Co?

3) Were you at any stage given an inkling by any of the others that the Legs & Co./Top Of the Pops marriage might be   heading for divorce and did this prompt you to start looking elsewhere for alternatives?

4) Did you ever fancy a solo dance spot on Top Of The Pops or did you always feel 'safer in numbers'?

5) There was an unusual 'coming together' of Pan's People, Legs & Co and Zoo through the 1983 film Nutcracker. How good was it to dance alongside Cherry Gillespie and Patti Hammond in Joan Collins' 1983 movie?

6) Anita, you certainly possess a decent pair of lungs. Where and when did you train and hone your vocal talents?

7) Have you got any distinguishing features? i.e. dimples.

Thank you for giving up your time to chat to us on here, Anita.

Re: Questions for Anita Chellamah

zenon
1) How did you hear about the audition to replace Pauline?

2) Have you been watching the BBC4 reruns and if so do you have any favourite Legs and Co routines you've seen you wished you had been a part of?

3) What advice would you give for today's young dancers who are just starting out?

4) Can you remember roughly how many other people auditioned against you?

5) What was it like working with Flick?

Re: Questions for Anita Chellamah

JEZ
hi anita thank you for taking part on one for the dads ,it is very kind of you

i believe you danced with dee dee wildes pans people at one time in your career ,when you went for the audition anita ,was flick aware you had danced for dee dee

did you ever work for any other choreographer apart from dee dee and flick on any other tv shows

sometimes the record you rehearsed with legs and co went down the charts on the last minute ,and the song and routine was frisbeed ,can you remember in your time with legs did this ever happen ,and if it did is there any memory of what song this happened to

i know you were only with legs and co towards the last period on totp ,but how does it feel 33 years later knowing that people are still watching your dance career with legs and still appreciate your routines from totp

Thank you so much once again anita ,i know that you have had a big career in singing since your time in legs and co ,but your time with the troupe hasnt been forgoten on one for the dads

Re: Questions for Anita Chellamah

Hi Anita and thanks so much for agreeing to grace our little website (and thereby joining a select group of fantastic dancers who have been kind enough to do the same).  Also thanks to smooth-talking Andee.  I would like to ask the following:

1.  My fave Dance of yours was the splendid performance of "Hill St Blues" with Zoo and I wonder if you have any memories of this particular dance?

2.  In "Hands Up" by Ottawan you gave a great comedic show and we have previously noted a little ladder in your tights (yes, we looked that closely sorry!).  I always wonder if little touches like that were done on purpose or not as they certainly add flavour to performances.  Can you divulge if this was deliberate or not?

3.  As a youngster was your training mainly in Dance or was it just as varied as your latter career suggests?

4.  Did you dance with Legs & Co after TOTP was over (in cabaret for example) or did your Zoo commitments preclude this possibility?

5.  Have you any advice for a roughly 55year old largely uncoordinated male dance fan hoping to appear in a cameo role when the inevitable Legs & Co comeback tour begins?  He would also consider a (distant) backing singer contribution in future music ventures if the right opportunity arose.

Thanks once again for your attention to our questions Anita and hope you have some fun answering them.

Re: Questions for Anita Chellamah

Having not been a founding member of Legs & Co., & meeting a group of girls, who'd all been together for about four, & half years at least, did you feel that you were easily accepted by the other girls, straight away?, especially as you would be seen to be replacing an ex-member of that dance troupe.

Re: Questions for Anita Chellamah

Lookmacinanger
Hi Anita,

Thanks for agreeing to take some questions from the OFTD forum; it’s our pleasure to chat with another member of Legs and Co.

We know you were asked to join Legs and .Co with the intention of replacing Pauline, but at which point after you joined were you made aware of the possible planned changes for using dancers on Top of the Pops?

Did you ever consider staying on with Legs and Co as Sue, Patti and Lulu had decided to carry on after leaving the show?

As you obviously decided to carry on dancing on Top of the Pops working with Zoo, how different was that experience from being in Legs and Co?

What was your own personal highlight from your time on Top of the Pops, Anita?

Thanks again for your time Anita, your time with Legs and Co will never be forgotten.

Re: Questions for Anita Chellamah

Hello Anita,

And welcome to Oftds, and thank you for taking part in our Q&A. Thank you for answering my questions.

1) What his your favourite books, an old and new one?

2) What his your favourite TV show an old and new one?

3) This may be a controversial question, why do you think Sue has won every year on the dancer of the day main leader board?

4) who makes you laugh?

5) And what do you think Strictly Come Dancing as done for dancing?

And thanks again for answering my questions Anita.

Re: Questions for Anita Chellamah

Colm
Hi Anita,

I'd just like to ask, in hindsight, which did you find easier - performing on TOTP as a part of the resident dance troupe, or as one of the musical guests?

Also, what did you think of having John Peel introduce you and your bandmates wearing a bin liner? Did he do this during rehearsals, and could you see a funny side to it?

Thanks for taking part in one of our Q&As and I look forward to hearing your replies.

Re: Questions for Anita Chellamah

Suefan
Hello Anita

1.  Could I ask if you had a particular favourite amongst the dance costumes you wore on TOTP, either when a member of Legs or Zoo?

2.  And of the routines you danced when a member of Legs which was the one you liked the best and which was the most difficult?

Re: Questions for Anita Chellamah

Old Grey Whistler
Hi, Anita, thank you for visiting this site and giving us your time. It is very much appreciated.
Could I ask the following questions please.

1. After you had been told that you had got the Legs & Co job, did you have the opportunity to get to know the girls and bond with them, or was it a case of getting straight down to work?

2. Do you think there was more pressure on you, joining a line up that had been unchanged for over 4 years than if you had joined Legs & Co when they first started, or was it helpful to be joining a troupe that was already established?

3. Do you get nervous before a performance, either singing or dancing, and if so do you have any techniques to combat this?

Thanks again.

Re: Questions for Anita Chellamah

BeautifulBabs
Hi Anita-great that you've agreed to talk to us - were you bribed ?

 i'd love to ask :

were you are fan/or aware of Flick's previous dance troupes Pans People and Ruby Flipper before you joined ?
what was the most embarrassing thing that happened to you/the girls while in legs and co?
favourite drink ?
favourite film ?
favourite holiday destination ?
did Flick ever tell you/the other dancers off ?
what do you think of strictly come dancing ?

thanks - all questions optional and not to be taken too seriously.........

(and btw my forum name is because I'm also a great fan of the pans people dancer Babs Powell...if it wasn't obvious)

Re: Questions for Anita Chellamah

Who's That Hurll
Good evening Anita,  I'd like to know who are your favourite musical acts from past to present?
Have you kept any costumes or memorabilia from your Top of the Pops dancing days?
Sometimes it was difficult to distinguish you from Patti in the routines.  Were you ever mistaken for her by people and did you ever make an effort to look as different as possible?

Re: Questions for Anita Chellamah

Andeebee
Thanks to all the folk that have contributed to the questions on this thread, this thread is officially closed, and I will hand it over to Anita for her answers.

Once again a huge thank you to Anita for agreeing to grace these fair pages.

Re: Questions for Anita Chellamah

Andeebee
Hopefully Anita will get to this this weekend to answer your questions.