Questions for Lulu Cartwright (her answers begin on page 2 of this thread)

Locked 91 messages Options

Questions for Lulu Cartwright (her answers begin on page 2 of this thread)

I have the great pleasure in announcing that Lulu has decided she would like to take part in a question and answer thread on OFTDs. This is great news for not only the site here, but for all fans of TOTPs dancers. I invite you all to ask her questions.

EDIT--now unlimited amount of questions.

Lulu will become the third member of Legs & Co to take part in a Q&A session on OFTDs. The two previous occasions with Sue & Pauline were a tremendous success. But the good news does not stop there for our site. A fourth member of Legs & Co has also agreed to take part in a Q&A on OFTDs. This will take place in February, but i'm not prepared to name her just yet.

So, i will start the ball rolling. Lets give this a week, or until a time when it looks like there are enough questions to keep Lulu busy.

Id like to ask you a few questions about your time in Ruby Flipper if i may.

Q1--Do you still have fond memories of watching your TOTPs debut back then ? Did you watch the show with your family and friends all gathered around the TV set ?

Q2--One of my favourite Ruby routines is of you and Phil dancing The Continental, just like Fred n Ginger. Did you find that a particularity difficult routine to do, it wasn't a style of dancing that 16 year olds would normally do. I have to say that for someone so young you made it look so effortless.

Q3--For the next two shows after you danced The Continental you were absent from TOTPs, towards the end of June. Its widely held belief on here that you were maybe sitting school exams. Could you confirm this for us Lulu, or were you just taking a holiday ?

Q4--Another thing that we all notice, especially in your early years was your tendency to sing along as you danced. Was this something you did to help you focus, or was this just a natural thing you did, subconsciously almost ? Did Flick ever notice you singing along, did she ever try to dissuade you from doing so ? We think your singing along just added to your youthful charm.

Q5--When the news filtered through that Ruby Flippers TOTPs days were almost numbered, did you know straight away that you would be retained for the next dance troupe, the all girl Legs & Co. Would you have liked Ruby Flipper to have carried on a little longer. Did you then feel a sense of relief knowing that you were in a all girl dance troupe that promised longevity.

I now invite the forum to submit their questions for Lulu.

Re: Your Questions for Lulu Cartwright

Angie
This post was updated on .
Awesome Ryan!

Hi Lulu,

Many thanks for agreeing to do a Q&A session for us........VERY much appreciated!

Five questions for you if I may:

1, Is there a piece of music, whether it be pop, classical, jazz etc. that you would have loved to have performed to during your dance career but didn't?

2, During your tenure on TOTP the charts and indeed the records you had to perform to seemed to change a great deal.....dancing to say, Paul Nicholas' 'Reggae Like it Used To Be' in '76 through to Madness' 'Shut Up' in '81! Looking back do you have a favourite era and/or style of music at all?

3, Who were your influences as a performer throughout your career?

Two questions from my Husband, Dave!

4, As you were quite young when you joined Ruby Flipper, how did your family react to you appearing on such a high profile programme, in the public eye as it were?

5, After Legs & Co., did you consider moving over to other performing arts i.e. acting?

Bless you Lulu!

Angie

Re: Your Questions for Lulu Cartwright

Paperboyplod
First of all thanks so much for your interest in OftDs, my wish has come true.

You started out on TOTPs with Ruby Flipper, as somebody that looked nervous, & needing guidance, but as time progressed, you became visibly more confident, & you really blossomed, during your time on that programme with Legs & Co.

My question is:-

Did you wish that you'd performed a proper solo dance routine, like Sue for example, & had the whole stage to yourself, throughout the performance.

Re: Your Questions for Lulu Cartwright

Old Bill
Woo ooh! Brilliant, nice one Ryan. And thank you Lulu! You star.

As two of the questions concerning your delightful singing-along and what your family thought at the time have already been asked, all I now think of is:

1. How did you cope with the pressure of such a high profile so young, and also fitting in your O-levels at the same time?
2. Were you tempted to think "I'm in Legs & Co now...! Who needs O-levels?"
3. Which was your favourite hair-style?
4. You're my favourite :-) Sorry, that's not really a question, I just thought I'd mention it!

xxxxx
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: Your Questions for Lulu Cartwright

Lulu Cartwright
Hi to all Legs and Co fans and Ruby Flipper fans, great to have been asked to contribute to the forum and looking forward to reading your questions, hopefully I can answer them all, thank you

Re: Your Questions for Lulu Cartwright

Hi Lulu

first of all, may I take a moment to thank you for gracing these pages, and it is an huge honour to have such a formidable and well loved dancer (along with Sue & Pauline) to take time out to answer questions from this rabble. LOL.

1) Lulu, as we have seen you grow from a shy teenager and blossom into a fully confident dancer, how was your first experience in front of the camera  with Ruby Flipper in 1976 compared to your final outing with Legs & Co in 1981.

2) Do you remember your audition for Ruby Flipper and the record that was playing and how soon after your audition did you find out you were in Ruby Flipper.

3) Doing your time with Ruby & Legs there was a radical change of music - compared to Pans People time, more punk, New Wave, electronic music, and of course Disco, did you find the shift in different dance styles and music a problem and how did you and the girls and boys cope with this shift.

4) I guess you were born Louise and Lulu is a childhood abbreviation of your full name, how did this come about and you stuck with the moniker throughout and not change back to Louise, did the other members of Legs have other nicknames for you and for each other on and off stage?

5) Your beloved appearance with Ruby with your 1920-esque flapper haircut, was this your choice or something you wanted to do whereas other girls at the time had 'flick's' or 'bangs' haircut or what style Farrah Fawcett had, as your hair is a natural curl you decided you grow it out, did you regret cutting it at the time (as it most of been a nightmare to style)

6) In your early days with Legs & Co there are times where you seem to be paired off with Sue for dances, was this something that happened or was this planned by Flick, and what was Sue like to work with (as she was the seasoned pro by then) did she take you under her wing and give you confidence in the early days.

7) Could you sum up each member of Legs & Co in less than a sentence (this was something we did back on the forum awhile back, which needs to be resurrected)

8) I read somewhere that the costumes for 'Born To Be Alive'  were I guess embarrassing were there other times where you thought I have to get on with this regardless of the costume or music as it's a job.

9) Were you disappointed at the time that Ruby ended so suddenly, did you think that was it for me as a dancer now, and what was your take on the Flipper demise.

On another note what was it like to work with three boys, especially Floyd as that was pretty radical thing for the BBC to do at the time to have a mixed troupe.  Do you think if Ruby had hung on alot longer it would of been a success.

10) (a) Were you still with Legs when they officially or unofficially became the name 'Night Moves'.

     (b) What did you think of the routines you did for 'The Video Entertainers' as 'jail-bait' was alot more raunchier than the other TV work that Legs did at the time and did you like this change of direction especially coming from the wholesome family orientated BBC.

     (c) What were your memories of appearing as Ruby Flipper in Germany in the late 70's dressed in Indian outfits, or 1920's clothes for the Eurovision programme.  Were there any other TV shows you did out in Germany or Europe.

    (d) Did you get a personal meet and greet with Basil Brush when you did his show.

    (e) What name was chosen for Legs & Co at the end ot the TV-Am show you did

    (f) What was it like working with Lena Martell on her TV show

and finally

11) Were you prepared mentally, physically and emotionally for life on the road and as a part of a cabaret act with Ruby Flipper & Legs & Co at such a young age, and would  you of done anything differently throughout your whole tenure with Ruby & Legs.

Thanks again Lulu.......

Re: Your Questions for Lulu Cartwright

It is great news that Lulu will be doing a Q&A. Thank you very much for doing this Lulu. Now I must try and think up some questions for Lulu. But the other members are far better at asking questions. Ryan you have only two more of the Ladies to get on the site. You've done wonderful job, this must make us the best site.

Re: Your Questions for Lulu Cartwright

I asked Lulu about her singing in my opening post. Maybe it would be wise for folk to read the questions that have been asked!

Re: Your Questions for Lulu Cartwright

AC/PD
A very warm welcome to you, Lulu.
It's a lovely surprise to read that you've agreed to participate in an OFTD's Q&A session.
No doubt Sue and Pauline have given you the gist of this place and verified our integrity.
In a nutshell, thanks for mixing with the great unwashed!

1) It has been a constant source of amusement to myself, amongst others, that you are prone to singing along to the songs during routines. Out of all the ladies in Legs & Co. which member has the most capable set of lungs? Conversely, which one would not be at the front of the queue when it comes to singing capabilities.

2) It's incredible to think that a month on from your Ruby Flipper debut, you were sitting your O' Levels. Did the distraction of the sudden advancement in your dancing career have any effect on the exams you sat or did you pass them with flying colours?

3) Your time in Legs & Co. was just one aspect and period of your working lifetime. Did you ever find it a burden to be reminded of this particular period throughout the 1990's onwards and wished for your association to remain in the past?

4) Do you ever catch the BBC4 repeats and if so, do you ever receive any amusing comments from members of your family relating to clothing, dance moves, scenarios , facial expressions etc?

5) If you could pick a couple of Desert Island routines for you to treasure forever, due to the pleasure and professional satisfaction they gave you, which ones would you choose?

Re: Your Questions for Lulu Cartwright

PattiForPM
Hi Lulu and thanks so much for agreeing to answer our questions.  I can't tell you how much I value seeing your name come up as a contributor on this forum.  Here go the questions:

1.   We have often discussed your driving on here as you were so great in RoadRunner.  Are you actually a good driver and do you recall why Flick chose you for that role? (I might be nicking this question from SueFan and if so I apologise!)

2.  Recalling your Ruby Flipper days, can you identify any particular Dances which were really enjoyable or satisfying for you?

3.  Did your susequent ventures with Alpacas have anything at all to do with the wonderful experience with Sue inside a Camel in Egyptian Reggae?

4.  Some of us (or maybe just me!) felt a little miffed with your treatment on Never Mind the Buzzcocks.  How was this experience for you and Patti?

5.  After the TOTP reign was over in 1981 I know you all did some travelling and cabaret appearances.  Sue has spoken of these before on here but I wonder if you recall any specific venues or dates or footage of this time.  How was this time for you?

Thanks again Lulu

Re: Your Questions for Lulu Cartwright

Hi Lulu, smashing news that you have agreed to do a Q&A and if I may ask:

1.  Of all the costumes you got to wear when dancing in Ruby Flipper and Legs which was your favourite?
2.  Your air of insouciance during the Roadrunner routine, while your passengers cavort about the car, has always been a favourite moment but, aside from that Lightning Stripe model, which has been your favourite car to drive for real?
3.  And, staying with the Roadrunner, did you get to keep that rather cute, and I understand one-of-a-kind, chauffeurs hat or any other costume pieces from your time on the show?
4.  That camel assignment!  Did you volunteer or were you conscripted?

Re: Your Questions for Lulu Cartwright

JEZ
what a lovely suprise for one for the dads ,as all the regulars on here will know even though i loved all of the legs ladies ,lulu was my little favourite ,on both occassions when i got married my collection of legs dances that id recorded from may 81 from when i had my first video recorder went with me ,it was in the days before any of legs routines were available anywhere ,so from 81 until a few years ago i used to watch legs and cos last six months of routines over and over again,and my passion for pans people and legs and co never ever went over all those years ,anyway what im trying to say lulu ,is after all these years i never ever thought that one day id be able to ask you ladies from the dance world a question ,ive not thought of one yet ,but id just like to say thank you lulu for all the pleasure you have given to jez over the passing years ,your routines and ability to dance so well have been a delight to watch ,and have cheered up many a dark hour for me ,god bless you x

Re: Your Questions for Lulu Cartwright

A bit of a slow start to this thread, but there is plenty of time yet.

Ive taken the decision to get rid of the 5 question limit, its to restrictive.

So here are some more questions for Lulu.

Q1--We all know that `The Smurf Song` is a routine you dislike, but are there anymore you can recall that also displeased you or that you didn't enjoy doing ?

Q2--After Legs stint on TOTPs had ended, you and girls embarked on your cabaret work. I understand this went overseas. What is the furthest city or country away from the UK you performed in ?

Q3--Before the time you became a professional dancer with Ruby Flipper, what career had you in mind ? A month before your audition for Ruby, would you ever have believed you would become a dancer on TOTPs ?

Q4--We all know you are into Alpacas Lulu. Have you ever visited South America if so, which is your favourite country there ?

Q5--Do you prefer dogs or cats ? There is a famous picture knocking around on here of you with your pet cat when you were in your Ruby days.

Re: Your Questions for Lulu Cartwright

Lookmacinanger
Lulu,

May I thank you for taking the time to join the forum that is OFTD and answers some questions about your career, this decision will have made a lot of members very happy indeed as your popularity on this tribute site shows no sign of wavering.

What did you think when you heard TOTP from 1976 onwards was to be repeated on a weekly basis again?

This repeat run of TOTP has coincided more or less from the time you joined the show and now your back on television most weeks, how have you found this experience?

I hope you have good memories of your time on TOTP, is there one particular highlight you can share with us?

Lulu, looking back at your time in Ruby Flipper and Legs and Co do you have any regrets, is there anything you would like to have changed?

Finally Lulu, what’s your opinion on the routines you performed in when you watch them now?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer some questions Lulu; I’m sure you’ve heard them all before. (Sorry if I’ve duplicated any questions as I’m rushing this a bit). The members on OFTD cannot wait for TOTP 1979 to be shown as we know Legs and Co danced to some memorable music from this year and we can all enjoy your performances again. Your dancing with Legs and Co was the highlight of the programme and I convey my thanks to you all for the memories you left for us.

Re: Your Questions for Lulu Cartwright

Oh my word how exciting and fantastic ! Love you Lulu,i'll go away and think of something to ask you.

Re: Your Questions for Lulu Cartwright

Sorted Ryan, it was a quick post, but done mine now

Re: Your Questions for Lulu Cartwright

I know Lulu was thinking about noting the questions down post by post on a nightly basis. I hope she doesn't miss Andeebee's edited post in which he posted more for her.

Re: Your Questions for Lulu Cartwright

Andeebee
nor me as I slaved over that lot...got typing cramp LOL

Re: Your Questions for Lulu Cartwright

Quick count up, thats 60 questions so far. Hope Lulu doesn't also get typing cramp after we have done. Think once we get to a 100, we had better think about closure.

Re: Your Questions for Lulu Cartwright

Andeebee
Good idea so come on guys get your questions in fast for Lulu....