Questions for Rosemary Hetherington

Locked 52 messages Options

Questions for Rosemary Hetherington

I have the great pleasure in announcing that Rosie has decided she would like to take part in a question and answer thread on OFTDs. She will become the 4th member of Legs & Co to do so. This is great news for not only the site here, but for all fans of TOTPs dancers. Can i also thank Sue for the help she has put into making this Rosie Q&A possible and also with the recent Lulu thread.

I invite you all to ask Rosie questions. I understand that she will be answering these questions next week, so i hope we can come up with quite a few for her to reply to. I will go first.
Hi Rosie. Can i thankyou for taking part in the 4th of our Legs & Co `Q&As`. Its truely an honour to have you aboard.

I think the members here will have lots of questions for you, but i will start by asking four if i may.

In your time on TOTPs you never got to dance a solo routine. Gill & Pauline got to do two or three, but you missed out. Would you liked to have danced a solo, did you mention to Flick that you would prefer not to dance a solo, or did you not even know this fact ?

You may not have danced a solo, but you danced a superb duet with Sue on `Blame It On The Boogie`. I dont think ive ever seen a Legs lady ever enjoy a performance as much as you in that. Is that one of the routines you remember dancing to and if so, is it near the top of your favourites ?

You were only 16 years and 195 days old on your TV debut with Legs & Co, very young indeed. But you were not even 22 when your time on TOTPs was over. Considering some of the Pans & Legs ladies performed until their late 20s even early 30s did you as a group feel slightly cheated by the fact that Legs time was up on the show and your television dancing days were over when you were still so young ?

Would you like to have had the chance to dance with dancers of the opposite gender more ? I know you did the Ruby Flipper in Germany in 77 and again on the Lena Martell show in 79 and obviously with Floid occasionally on TOTPs pre 79. I guess what im asking is did you enjoy it when Legs performed routines with boys like `Summer Nights`.

Re: Questions for Rosemary Hetherington

bucksby
Great news but how did I know it would be Rosie. Educated guess I think!

Hello Rosie!

It is great to have you on board. My dog is called Rosie too.  I first noticed Legs & Co during the UK GOLD reruns in the mid 90s as I was too young first time around. I always loved your facial expressions. I am a huge fan of TOTP so my questions may be more general than some of the others.

(1) What is your favourite Legs & co dance?
(2) Did you watch TOTP after you left in 1981? If so was there a Zoo dance you would have liked to have taken part in?
(3) Who was your favourite TOTP presenter?

Thanks so much Rosie, much appreciated. Now I think I will dig out my Guy n dolls record collection....

Re: Questions for Rosemary Hetherington

Gorgeous Daze
Hi Rosie. Thank you so much for taking part in this Q & A. Lucky us!

My questions are:

1) One of my favourite performances of yours is in Supernature. What are your memories of and thoughts on that routine?

2) Just to expand on Bucksby's question, if I may, what are your three favourite and three least favourite Legs & Co. routines?

3) Can you recall any routines where you just couldn't master the steps/moves, and come filming day you had to cover up as best you could? (I can't think of any where it shows!)

4) 'Then' and now, what is your favourite kind of music and who are your favourite artists?

5) If you could choose just one song that charted during your Legs & Co days that you didn't dance to, but you would like to have done, what would it be?

Re: Questions for Rosemary Hetherington

Doubleday
Thank you, Rosie, for coming on to the forum for Q&A - and to those who made it possible. You were fantastic on the radio recently ...

Ryan nearly asked my question ... it's about the boy dancers on TOTP. Obviously Floid made several appearances, but who were the others, and were they one offs or did some return, or perform with Legs & Co elsewhere. There is only one I know the name of; Patti's partner, Martin, in Summer Love and earlier duet. He looked very like the head guy of The Scorpions to me (the rival gang in Grease, not the German heavy metal outfit). But slap on some, er, grease, and I suppose they all look the same .

And an afterthought ... do you prefer Rosemary or Rosie?

Thank you again, Rosie, and I hope the questions are a nice reminder of times past.

Re: Questions for Rosemary Hetherington

Paperboyplod
Hiya Rosie, & welcome to OftDs.
My question is this:-
Your part-solo dance in the Hotel California routine, is one of my favourite Rosie moments ever, on TOTPs, but how were you chosen for that role?, as that could've been awarded to any one of you.
Not that I'm complaining of course, I wouldn't change that, even if I could travel back in time, & influence alternative events.

Re: Questions for Rosemary Hetherington

It's so exciting to have the wonderful Rosie take part in a Q & A with us ! I'll go away and think of something to ask.

Re: Questions for Rosemary Hetherington

L&C4me
Hi Rosie
Thanks for doing this!

I too enjoy watching you perform 'Hotel California'. Your routine was completely different to Pauline, Sue, Lulu & Gill's. They did a marvellous job as did you. It was almost a Solo from you because of the differing routines. Did you see it like that? What is your recollection of it?

You really looked super in the Blondie hits of 1979. Heart of Glass and Sunday Girl seemed to very work well for Legs & Co. Do you feel that the Blondie tracks were almost made to order for your troupe?

What is your story of how you became such an essential part of Legs & Co?

There was a good range of experience in the dancers when you joined. What is your personal recollection of Flicks demeanour toward you when you started? How did the other dancers treat you?

Thanks Rosie;  you Sue, Lulu, Pauline, Gill & Patti often add additional brightness to my life, when I revisit your dance routines, as you did during my teenage years during the late 1970's. Love and best wishes from Jim.
Jim

Re: Questions for Rosemary Hetherington

Hello rosie and thank you for taking part in answering questions on one for the dads ,it really does mean a lot to us people on here who have been fans for years and years ,also for the newer fans of legs and co that members of the dance troupes have kindly given their time to answer some of our questions ,like ive said to the other legs girls ,id just like to thank you all for making my teenage years something to look forward to on a thursday nights ,you lot were a joy to watch and i very rarely missed legs and co performing each week ,i always remember thinking rosie you seemed to be the bubbly one out of the troupe

could i ask rosie ,i know you went on to sing with guys n dolls but were you ever offered another job working as a dancer at all on tv ,or did you ever think of going for any more auditions for tv work ,or did you join guys and dolls straight from legs and co ,ive got a feeling you did

ive always wondered about this question for any dancer ,anyway when doing a routine on totp rosie ,did you prefer to perform without the studio audience around ,or with the audience around you ,or didnt it bother you either way ,i think if it was me id prefer an empty studio coz id get disracted looking at people in the audience round the stage ,but are dancers trained to switch off what is going on whilst performing ,im sorry for waffling on rosie but i do that quite a bit on here ,anyway i hope you can get what im trying to say

your routines with legs and co were wonderful ,and even 30 odd years later they still look as good if not better today  ,can you think of any dances rosie that you rehearsed as a totp dance and it was thrown out on the last minute as a frisbee ,i know that may be a hard question but sometimes certain things stick in the mind ,and you all might have thought that was a wondeful routine ,and now we cant do it

thanks so much rosie for reading x

ps do you think flick would be pleased today if she knew how many people admired her work as a choreographer and how her name and memory are kept still very much alive with sites like one for the dads ,her name will certainley not be forgotten as she and you dancing girls bought such pleasure to all of us

Re: Questions for Rosemary Hetherington

Lookmacinanger
Hi Rosie,
Thank you for taking time out to answer some of our questions about your time dancing with Legs and Co, your appearances on TOTP every Thursday night are fondly remembered on OFTD.

Firstly may I just ask a question about how you came to choose to pursue a career in dancing instead of singing as you were obviously talented and had learnt both subjects at stage school?

As mentioned earlier you joined up with the group Guys and Dolls after leaving Legs and Co. What inspired you at that point of your career to join a singing group? Did you feel your time in Legs and Co had run its natural course and you wanted to move away from a career in dance? Did you stay on with Legs and Co after they finished their residency on TOTP before reaching this decision to move on?

Are you watching the re runs of TOTP on BBC4? How does it feel to be back on TV again every week and then have a bunch of old fellas from a forum called One for the Dads running their critical eye over your latest dance performance from 35 years ago? (Or did you know we existed even?)

At the moment I think we are going through a golden age of routines by Legs and Co from 1979. Are there any routines that stand out for you Rosie that you can remember from this period? Or are there any tracks that you wished Legs and Co had danced too that you didn’t get the opportunity to?

Thanks again Rosie you were part of a very special group of ladies whose weekly appearances made TOTP a wonderful programme all those years ago and I convey my thanks for all your performances during your time with Legs and Co. OFTD will never let those glorious days be forgotten.

Re: Questions for Rosemary Hetherington

PaulF
Hi Rosie thanks for donating your time to OFTD, very much appreciated.

One of my favourite Rosie routines is "Blame it on the Boogie" with Sue. I love the facial expressions and the fun factor you put into the dance but was that just impulse from yourself or did Flick choreograph it in for you. If it was just down to you did Flick "have a word" afterwards or was she happy for the girls to express themselves in her routines.

Once again thanks and welcome, and now we have you please keep dropping in occasionally.
Paul

Re: Questions for Rosemary Hetherington

Hi Rosemary

Thank you so much for taking part in this Q&Q our 4th with Legs & Co.

1)  What are your overall lasting memories of Legs & Co and TOTP

2) It must of been nerve wracking to perform in front of the cameras aged 16, how did you overcome the nerves and not be camera shy

3) The famous 'Bermuda Triangle' incident where a fruit word was uttered quite audibly on the soundtrack, was this due to mis timing or was the studio floor getting slippery under that water or did you stub a toe??

Were there any other incidents of fruity words uttered by yourself or the other girls that we would know about.

4) How did you celebrate your 21st after having it announced on TOTP

5) can you sum up your colleagues in one/two words?

6) I have a newspaper clip saying that Legs would become part of Zoo, were you privy this info or told at the get go that legs was over.

7) One of my favourite Legs routines is 'Ai No Corrida', the costumes (forgive me) didn't leave a lot to the imagination, were you conscious of this and were there any costumes you thought was unsuitable to wear.

8) If you continued on with Legs what music would you of liked to dance to.

9) I assume you took holidays during Legs, what was your favourite destination (family/friends or with other Legs) be it abroad or Margate

10) have you visited our two channels to view the old routines and what do you think of them today almost 36 years later.

11) You mentioned on the radio slot that your daughter watches TOTP reruns, is she critical of your work (which ones does she like or dislike - I sense The Smurfs)

Thanks again Rosemary

Re: Questions for Rosemary Hetherington

Hello Rosie,i'm so happy to have this opportunity to ask you something,you and Lulu are my favourites.
What did you want to do when you left the Italia Conti school?
Can you play a musical instrument,and can you write songs?I like Broken Dreams and Phony People.
Who are you a fan of?
How would you describe yourself?
Did you keep those fab bunny ears from Jazz Carnival and Forever In Blue Jeans?
Thank you Rosie for everything.

Re: Questions for Rosemary Hetherington

Hi Rosie and thanks for joining in on Oftd.  As I see the questions are mounting up so I'll be brief.
Which of the many costumes you wore on TOTP was your favourite?
Aside from the flying beads in Dancing Queen were there any other costumes that proved especially tricky to dance in.

Re: Questions for Rosemary Hetherington

Hi Rosie and thanks once again for agreeing to answer Questions on here, it is very much appreciated as I'm sure you've gathered by now.  My questions are:

1.  How did it feel to have the opportunity to be a Smurf?

2.  Did you watch TOTP before Legs & Co and if so what did you think of Ruby Flipper/Pans People?

3.  What did you think of Dances like "Brown Girl in the Ring" and "You're Gonna Get Next to Me" in which you were called upon to Dance with audience members or non-dancers?

4.  In general did you prefer dancing to slow ballads, disco or more rocking/faster songs?

5.  Can you recall any general friendships between the Legs & Co ladies and particular music bands or groups of the time?

6.  When you travelled together as a group I wonder if there was any pattern to who roomed in with who when you stayed in hotels ?

That's it from me for now Rosie and lastly thanks for playing a part in persuading the lovely Pauline not to waste her time with Tommy Steele instead of joining Legs & Co and thanks for gracing our screens with such fun and humour

Re: Questions for Rosemary Hetherington

GaryH
Dear Rosie, Here's a question that's been tormenting me for the past 36 years; What did you do with the big banana after the Supernature routine - Did you take it home as a souvenir?

Re: Questions for Rosemary Hetherington

AC/PD
Hello Rosemary!
You've always been my second favourite herb. What's yours?

It's ever so slightly completely brilliant that you've taken the plunge of an OFTD's Q&A session, following in the paths of Sue, Pauline and Lulu, who all lived to tell the tale.

Forum member SuPaLu mentioned your time at the Italia Conti Academy of Theatre Arts in London. Whilst there, do you recall anyone else in your classes who also managed to 'make it' and have success in a particular field?

When in cabaret, how on earth did you manage to continually perform Happy Feet whilst clad in the most inappropriate footwear of either Dr. Martens or wellington boots? With aplomb or with a blister?

In November 1980, you and the girls were allowed to cross to 'the other side', making a guest appearance in ATV-Land on TISWAS. Besides receiving a collective soaking and custard pie mauling as a result of a crooked quiz, do you have any recollection of performing an actual dance routine on the show?

In this day and age, how often do folk make the connection that you used to be a member of Legs & Co.?

Whenever you and the ladies meet up once or twice a year, which one would you say is the most pleasantly boisterous or are they all demure?

Have you ever considered buying an alpaca?

Thank you so much for persuading Pauline to make the right choice in leaving Tommy Steele at the career-path alter in favour of pushing for a place with Legs & Co. back in 1976.

Re: Questions for Rosemary Hetherington

Hi Rosemary, it's really great that you're taking time to answer our questions and it's certainly appretiated.

After being dumbstruck for a few days I've come up with a few questions:

Other than looking slighty apprehensive in the long shots when Ed Stewart was introducing you all in the first show, you always looked to be really enjoying performing with no sign of any nerves. How did you really feel in those first few shows?

It is fair to say that yourself and Pauline always had big smiles whilst dancing whilst the other girls had different styles (ie: Sue - sultry, Patti - pouty, Lulu - cheeky), was this just your personalities shining through or was it encouraged to be slightly different from each other (a bit like the costumes)?

The recently shown excellent 'Heart of Glass' routine has you all unusally dancing with much more moody looking expressions, would this have been something that Flick required for certain performances?

Any near disasters when performing?

Would you consider a return to the frizzy hair style :-).

Sadly Legs and Co were rather allowed to fizzle out by the BBC, would you have preferred to have finished with one more proper performance rather than all the backing parts. (I think that the performance to 'Hands Up' by Ottowan a few weeks earlier would have made a great finale).

Did the end of Legs and Co on TOTP actually come at a good time for you?

Do you still get recognized by strangers in the street?

The name on your costumes was always Rosie, however I think that everytime I've heard you introduced it's always been Rosemary. Do you have a personal preference.

I believe that Sue played a big part in persuading you and Lulu to do these Q&As what did she say to convince you?

One final question, but I don't expect that you'll remember the reason why. Back in 1977 a couple of performances you had costumes that were too short for you, most notably the 'Loves Unkind' costume which had a skirt that was several inches shorter than the rest of the girls. Was this just a measurements error by the costume department or a practical joke by them. (I've added a picture below).

Re: Questions for Rosemary Hetherington

I think that the banana was cared for and continued to grow and finally made a reappearance in 'The Carribean Disco Show' routine in 1981.

Re: Questions for Rosemary Hetherington

Hi again Rosie. Id say my favourite routine from 1979 would have to be `Off The Wall`. The song was great and there was so much happening in it, an incident packed performance one may say. I have three more questions for you.

Were you aware of the shenanigans that was going on with the guy wearing the pork pie hat and his mate who fell of the chair at 0.59 seconds on the link below. They seemed to make you laugh.

Also did you ever so briefly touch hands with an audience member at 1.55 seconds or were my eyes playing tricks with me.

Finally, were you aware that on Simon Bates first two shows hosting TOTPs he name checked you on his first and on his second he walked of arm in arm with you. I reckon you may have been his favourite Legs girl!

Off The Wall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLIpjtHRmt0

Green Onions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MlvZaU0bJY

Re: Questions for Rosemary Hetherington

Mikey
Hi Rosie, big thanks in advance for tackling these questions.

How did you find the first few weeks at the beeb, were there plenty of do's and dont's to remember as well as trying to learn routines and how things worked in the studio. Was there anything you found particularly challenging you were not expecting, such the short amount of time to rehearse.

Were you initially concerned that Ruby Flipper only lasted a few months, that this may be a make or break time.

Did you have any particular styles of dance you preferred, i guess Flick must have covered them all at some point.