Questions for Rosie, The answers.

Locked 66 messages Options

Questions for Rosie, The answers.

Rosemary Hetherington
In your time on TOTPs you never got to dance a solo routine. Gill & Pauline got to do two or three, but you missed out. Would you liked to have danced a solo, did you mention to Flick that you would prefer not to dance a solo, or did you not even know this fact ?

You may not have danced a solo, but you danced a superb duet with Sue on `Blame It On The Boogie`. I dont think ive ever seen a Legs lady ever enjoy a performance as much as you in that. Is that one of the routines you remember dancing to and if so, is it near the top of your favourites ?

You were only 16 years and 195 days old on your TV debut with Legs & Co, very young indeed. But you were not even 22 when your time on TOTPs was over. Considering some of the Pans & Legs ladies performed until their late 20s even early 30s did you as a group feel slightly cheated by the fact that Legs time was up on the show and your television dancing days were over when you were still so young ?

Would you like to have had the chance to dance with dancers of the opposite gender more ? I know you did the Ruby Flipper in Germany in 77 and again on the Lena Martell show in 79 and obviously with Floid occasionally on TOTPs pre 79. I guess what im asking is did you enjoy it when Legs performed routines with boys like `Summer Nights`.

Ryan

1) I went to Italia Conti Arts School in London when I was 11 years of age.  It concentrated on dance, singing and acting and not specifically dance so when I joined Legs and Co at the age of 16 I had only had five years of dance training which in the dance world is a very short amount of time.  I was very young and inexperienced and I think Flick could see the 'rabbit in the headlights' look and probably thought better of offering a solo to me.  I was very grateful for this as I lacked confidence and just dancing with the girls was more than enough for me.  Later on though I seem to remember there were solos within a Legs and Co routine such as Bill Withers Lovely Day, Donna Summer I Feel Love and Eagles Hotel California.

2) It's one of my least favourite, in fact I cannot even bring myself to watch it.  What was I thinking!

3) No we didn't feel cheated at all.  We had danced as a group for five years and it's better to leave at the height of your career than drag it on.  I loved the fact that I could start working as a singer.

4) It was always a joy to dance with the other girls as Legs and Co however sometimes the music required male dancers for instance Summer Nights and Lonely Boy.  When this occurred it was a refreshing change but always preferred to come back to the girls.

Re: Questions for Rosie, The answers.

Rosemary Hetherington
(1) What is your favourite Legs & co dance?
(2) Did you watch TOTP after you left in 1981? If so was there a Zoo dance you would have liked to have taken part in?
(3) Who was your favourite TOTP presenter?

Bucksby

Thanks for that Bucksby.  I've been called a few things in my time but never after a dog!

1) This is such a hard question to answer and I know that sounds like a cliché.  I certainly have a list of my favourite top ten routines and if really pushed I could probably give you my top five which are (in no particular order):

Lately by Stevie Wonder, good choreography, beautiful minimalistic set, all girls look beautiful and very classy.
Call Me by Blondie, great set, high energy and modern and up to date.
Heart Of Glass by Blondie, one of Blondie's best tracks.  Trendy, fashionable, serious dancing.  No fluff!!
Let's Go Round Again by AWB, we all looked amazingly slim considering TV puts 10lbs on you.  I'm sure our diet must have consisted of slices of air, some shavings of ice and lots of black coffee.
Can You Feel It by The Jacksons, great track, trendy costumes, no glitter or feathers, high energy and again up to date with fashion.

2) No unfortunately I didn't have a chance to watch TOTP's after we left in 1981 as I joined the singing group Guys and Dolls who were based in Holland where I subsequently lived for five years.

3) Well excluding all the ones that have been arrested I thought Steve Wright was brilliantly funny and still is.

Re: Questions for Rosie, The answers.

Rosemary Hetherington
1) One of my favourite performances of yours is in Supernature. What are your memories of and thoughts on that routine?

2) Just to expand on Bucksby's question, if I may, what are your three favourite and three least favourite Legs & Co. routines?

3) Can you recall any routines where you just couldn't master the steps/moves, and come filming day you had to cover up as best you could? (I can't think of any where it shows!)

4) 'Then' and now, what is your favourite kind of music and who are your favourite artists?

5) If you could choose just one song that charted during your Legs & Co days that you didn't dance to, but you would like to have done, what would it be?

Gorgeous Daze

1) My memories are that I had just come back from holidaying in the South Of France and I was very tanned.  Two days later I was in the studio wearing an extremely flattering suede bikini so didn't need to fake tan!  I remember reading in the paper that Hot Gossip had danced to Supernature on the Kenney Everett Show in the same week as Legs and Co and the comments were very favourable towards us.  I thought it was a great routine and it was a lot of fun dancing to it.

2) Let me just bung in a couple more of my favs - Don't Leave Me This Way by Harold Melvin And The Blue Notes and Ai No Corrida by Quincy Jones and my three least favourites are Ottawan DISCO, Birdie Song The Tweets and If I said You Had a Beautiful Body Would You Hold It Against Me The Bellamy Brothers ( Didn't understand the Teddy Bears then and still don't! )

3) No I don't recall any routine where we hadn't mastered the steps but I'm sure there must have been some routines where we would fleetingly forget the steps.

4) Then - Stevie Wonder, Al Jarreau, Bob Marley, The Stranglers, Blondie, Joan Armatrading, Queen.  Now - Pharrel Williams, The Script, Miles Davies, Billy Connelly, Peter Kay.

5) Any of The Police, Queen.  I would like to have danced to more of David Bowie and perhaps a Rolling Stones number? ( Did they have any hits between 1976 - 1981 though)

Re: Questions for Rosie, The answers.

Rosemary Hetherington
Ryan nearly asked my question ... it's about the boy dancers on TOTP. Obviously Floid made several appearances, but who were the others, and were they one offs or did some return, or perform with Legs & Co elsewhere. There is only one I know the name of; Patti's partner, Martin, in Summer Love and earlier duet. He looked very like the head guy of The Scorpions to me (the rival gang in Grease, not the German heavy metal outfit). But slap on some, er, grease, and I suppose they all look the same .

And an afterthought ... do you prefer Rosemary or Rosie?

DoubleDay

1) Apart from Floid all the other male dancers that danced with us from time to time on TOTP's were one offs.

2) I think I prefer Rosie as I always feel I'm being told off when somebody calls me Rosemary (maybe because my parents always called me that).

I have always regarded my Legs and Co days as my halcyon days.

Re: Questions for Rosie, The answers.

Rosemary Hetherington
My question is this:-
Your part-solo dance in the Hotel California routine, is one of my favourite Rosie moments ever, on TOTPs, but how were you chosen for that role?, as that could've been awarded to any one of you.
Not that I'm complaining of course, I wouldn't change that, even if I could travel back in time, & influence alternative events.

PaperBoyPlod

1) To be absolutely honest with you PaperBoyPlod I do not know why Flick chose me to play that part.  I think I would have much preferred to be the Spanish Gringo that the other girls played but I loved wearing that gold dress.  It was vintage you know Circ 1940.

Re: Questions for Rosie, The answers.

Rosemary Hetherington
I too enjoy watching you perform 'Hotel California'. Your routine was completely different to Pauline, Sue, Lulu & Gill's. They did a marvellous job as did you. It was almost a Solo from you because of the differing routines. Did you see it like that? What is your recollection of it?

You really looked super in the Blondie hits of 1979. Heart of Glass and Sunday Girl seemed to very work well for Legs & Co. Do you feel that the Blondie tracks were almost made to order for your troupe?

What is your story of how you became such an essential part of Legs & Co?

There was a good range of experience in the dancers when you joined. What is your personal recollection of Flicks demeanour toward you when you started? How did the other dancers treat you?

L&C4me

1) As I said to PaperBoyPlod I would have much preferred to sport a beard and a Spanish hat but that's my comedic side coming out.  I suppose it was a solo of sorts.  What I do remember and still do to this day was what an absolutely fantastic track by the ever wonderful Eagles.  'You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!!!!!' Genius.

2) Couldn't agree with you more L&C4me!  I loved it when Flick told us we were doing a Blondie track because I knew we would have trendy modern costumes and really good choreography every time without a doubt.

3) Fluke, right place right time, face fitted, lucky....... I would also like to thank one of the students at Italia Conti called Jonathan Wright who showed me the advert in The Stage newspaper stating 'Flick Colby requires dancers'.  If it wasn't for him I wouldn't be here writing these answers.

4) Yes L&C4me there was a good range of experience in the dancers when I joined.  Again I have to be honest Flick was a taskmaster and was very exacting but I think that proved to be right due to her phenomenal success as a choreographer.  The other girls were and still are sweet, kind, funny and supportive.  As far as I remember there was not a cross word between us in five years.  It was unbelievable.  There wasn't a jealous bone between us.  How lucky was that.

Re: Questions for Rosie, The answers.

Rosemary Hetherington
could i ask rosie ,i know you went on to sing with guys n dolls but were you ever offered another job working as a dancer at all on tv ,or did you ever think of going for any more auditions for tv work ,or did you join guys and dolls straight from legs and co ,ive got a feeling you did

ive always wondered about this question for any dancer ,anyway when doing a routine on totp rosie ,did you prefer to perform without the studio audience around ,or with the audience around you ,or didnt it bother you either way ,i think if it was me id prefer an empty studio coz id get disracted looking at people in the audience round the stage ,but are dancers trained to switch off what is going on whilst performing ,im sorry for waffling on rosie but i do that quite a bit on here ,anyway i hope you can get what im trying to say

your routines with legs and co were wonderful ,and even 30 odd years later they still look as good if not better today  ,can you think of any dances rosie that you rehearsed as a totp dance and it was thrown out on the last minute as a frisbee ,i know that may be a hard question but sometimes certain things stick in the mind ,and you all might have thought that was a wondeful routine ,and now we cant do it

thanks so much rosie for reading x

ps do you think flick would be pleased today if she knew how many people admired her work as a choreographer and how her name and memory are kept still very much alive with sites like one for the dads ,her name will certainley not be forgotten as she and you dancing girls bought such pleasure to all of us

Jez

1) Once I knew my contract was finishing with the BBC I auditioned to join a singing group called 'The Midas Touch' (how very 80s) and they were to appear weekly on the Jim Davidson TV show so I left TOTP's and went straight onto the Jim Davidson Show (if anybody has or could find any footage I would be truly thankful).  Within a few months Julie Forsyth from The Guys and Dolls (Bruce Forsyth's daughter) phoned me and asked what I was doing since leaving Legs and Co.  I had been at Italia Conti with Julie and apparently she had watched Legs and Co every week and then noticed we had finished.  Anyway long story short I left the Jim Davidson Show and joined Guys and Dolls in Holland where they were contracted to EMI.

2) Really good question Jez.  A dancer has to count.  For instance, you have to count in your head each bar of music most pop music is in 4x4 time.  This means there are four counts to a bar. The choreography could be walk four counts forward, 4 counts backwards, step turn, step clap.  So what I think I'm trying to say is (sorry I'm waffling now) that a dancer's head is full of numbers 1-8 then you have to think that on a certain step that Flick has told you to look into camera 2 and then on another step you have to look into camera 5 so the last thing on a dancer's mind is the audience.  One is utterly caught up in the concentration of the routine.

3) We're so old we're retro!  I know exactly what you mean Jez about the last minute frisbee but I honestly cannot remember specifically what favourite routines went down the pan but what I do remember is sometimes feeling so disappointed if it had been a particularly good routine.

Re: Questions for Rosie, The answers.

Rosemary Hetherington
Firstly may I just ask a question about how you came to choose to pursue a career in dancing instead of singing as you were obviously talented and had learnt both subjects at stage school?

As mentioned earlier you joined up with the group Guys and Dolls after leaving Legs and Co. What inspired you at that point of your career to join a singing group? Did you feel your time in Legs and Co had run its natural course and you wanted to move away from a career in dance? Did you stay on with Legs and Co after they finished their residency on TOTP before reaching this decision to move on?

Are you watching the re runs of TOTP on BBC4? How does it feel to be back on TV again every week and then have a bunch of old fellas from a forum called One for the Dads running their critical eye over your latest dance performance from 35 years ago? (Or did you know we existed even?)

At the moment I think we are going through a golden age of routines by Legs and Co from 1979. Are there any routines that stand out for you Rosie that you can remember from this period? Or are there any tracks that you wished Legs and Co had danced too that you didn’t get the opportunity to?

Lookmacinanger

Hi Lookmacinanger (How on earth did you decide on that name?)

1) To be absolutely honest with you when I saw the advert that Flick had put into The Stage newspaper advertising dance opportunities on TOTP's, I was only 15 years old.  I was not in the mindset of forging a career, an opportunity presented itself and I went for it.  Little did I know that I was going to be offered the job and so once this was a reality there was no looking back.  I wasn't really thinking about any particular career path at that stage.  I must say that although I loved dancing and learning and training all aspects of dance at Italia Conti I never dreamed I would follow that path.  But hey that's life and how lucky was I!  I was living the dream.

2) Once Flick had told us that our contract with TOTP's was finishing, I heard that ITV were looking for singers to appear in a group to perform on the Jim Davidson Show.  I told Flick about the audition and that I needed to take a day off from rehearsing with Legs and Co to attend the audition, Flick was unbelievably supportive.  I was very lucky to be have been offered the job and joined a group called The Midas Touch.  As I mentioned in my reply to Jez The Midas Touch dovetailed beautifully from the end of TOTP's and the start of The Jim Davidson Show (again I mentioned this in Jez's reply but I have not seen any footage of The Midas Touch since 1981 so if you or anybody else can find something it would be amazing).  During this time Julie Forsyth from Guys and Dolls had been in touch with me and I was asked if I would be interested in joining Guy and Dolls.  I had been at school with Julie and she was a really lovely girl.  I got on really well with the other members of the group so I accepted.  I know that Legs and Co carried on performing after their residency had finished on TOTP's but I didn't stay.  It's funny isn't it this thing called life you just don't know when different opportunities present themselves.  I do remember going to see the girls perform at a gig in London this must have been around 1983 and thinking at the time how surreal it was to be watching Patti, Lulu and Sue from an audiences perspective.  Needless to say they were amazing.

3)  I didn't know anything about OftD's website.  It has only been since seeing Sue last year when we both appeared on Shaun Tilley's TOTP's playback show that she mentioned the forum.  To be absolutely honest with you Lookmacinanger I rarely watch TOTP's on BBC4 because I completely forget it's on and the only time it rings a bell is when I see my monthly payments going into my bank account!! HaHa.

4) 1979 seemed to be a great year for Legs and Co routines.  I particularly liked Sultans of Swing Dire Straits, Heart of Glass and Sunday Girl Blondie, After the Love Has Gone Earth Wind and Fire, Let's Go Round Again Average White Band, Knock On Wood Amii Stewart, Off The Wall Michael Jackson and of course the wonderful Silly Thing Sex Pistols.  I think any track by The Boomtown Rats or The Police would have been fabulous to dance to.  However, it's a bitter sweet thing really because if we'd have danced to them the wonderful Bob Geldof and Sting wouldn't have come into the studio.

Re: Questions for Rosie, The answers.

Rosemary Hetherington
One of my favourite Rosie routines is "Blame it on the Boogie" with Sue. I love the facial expressions and the fun factor you put into the dance but was that just impulse from yourself or did Flick choreograph it in for you. If it was just down to you did Flick "have a word" afterwards or was she happy for the girls to express themselves in her routines.

PaulF

 1) I really don't want to burst your bubble or say anything that will upset you but I'm going to.  I absolutely hate my facial expressions and everything about myself in that routine! (Sorry).  So much so that I have never looked at it or seen it since the day that it was recorded and I watched with horror.  Funnily enough both Flick and Ruth Pearson (Manager) were very complimentary about my portrayal of Michael Jackson's Blame It On The Boogie.  But they hadn't been to Specsavers!!!

Re: Questions for Rosie, The answers.

Rosemary Hetherington
1)  What are your overall lasting memories of Legs & Co and TOTP

2) It must of been nerve wracking to perform in front of the cameras aged 16, how did you overcome the nerves and not be camera shy

3) The famous 'Bermuda Triangle' incident where a fruit word was uttered quite audibly on the soundtrack, was this due to mis timing or was the studio floor getting slippery under that water or did you stub a toe??

Were there any other incidents of fruity words uttered by yourself or the other girls that we would know about.

4) How did you celebrate your 21st after having it announced on TOTP

5) can you sum up your colleagues in one/two words?

6) I have a newspaper clip saying that Legs would become part of Zoo, were you privy this info or told at the get go that legs was over.

7) One of my favourite Legs routines is 'Ai No Corrida', the costumes (forgive me) didn't leave a lot to the imagination, were you conscious of this and were there any costumes you thought was unsuitable to wear.

8) If you continued on with Legs what music would you of liked to dance to.

9) I assume you took holidays during Legs, what was your favourite destination (family/friends or with other Legs) be it abroad or Margate

10) have you visited our two channels to view the old routines and what do you think of them today almost 36 years later.

11) You mentioned on the radio slot that your daughter watches TOTP reruns, is she critical of your work (which ones does she like or dislike - I sense The Smurfs)

AndeeBee

 1) I was living the dream.  My overall memories of Legs and Co and TOTP's are amazing fun, laughs, hard work, friendships and thoroughly wonderful opportunity.  I feel so very lucky to have been part of it all.

2) Although I lacked confidence I wasn't too nervous or camera shy.  Italia Conti had trained me well in bluffing!

3a) All three!

3b) Probably.

4) I invited all the girls and some close friends and family to a swanky hotel in London.

5) Sue - Head Girl, Patti - stunning, Lulu - dry humoured, Pauline - bubbly and kind, Gill - beautiful.

6) We were told that the Legs and Co contract would not be renewed in October 198.  Because I was pursuing other career paths I was not aware of any details regarding Zoo.

7) Actually Ai No Corrida is one of my favourite Legs routines as well even though there are only four of us (I can't remember where Gill was, maybe she was on holiday and Pauline had left).  Dare I say it I thought we all looked beautiful.

8) As I mentioned to Gorgeous Daze perhaps it might have been nice to have danced to David Bowie or Rolling Stones or The Jam.

9) We were only allowed to take individual holidays from Legs and Co so never had an opportunity to go away with the other girls but I would go away with my boyfriend at the time to places like France, Spain and Italy.

10)  No I haven't visited your two channels, I didn't know you had them.

11) I think I mentioned on the radio that on rare occasions she has watched reruns of TOTP's.  She's such a busy 17 year old now that she doesn't really pay much attention to what her Mum did 38 years ago.

Re: Questions for Rosie, The answers.

Rosemary Hetherington
What did you want to do when you left the Italia Conti school?
Can you play a musical instrument,and can you write songs?I like Broken Dreams and Phony People.
Who are you a fan of?
How would you describe yourself?
Did you keep those fab bunny ears from Jazz Carnival and Forever In Blue Jeans?
Thank you Rosie for everything.

SuPaLu

 1) My first love was drama and had always thought acting might be my career path but when such an amazing opportunity comes your way as it did with me with Legs and Co things change.

2) I can play the piano badly and I have penned some pretty dire songs of my own.  I like Broken Dreams and Phony People as well.  I wish I'd written them.

3) I think Bob Geldof is pretty cool

4) Funny, don't take life too seriously, loyal.

5) Are you having a laugh!?

Re: Questions for Rosie, The answers.

Rosemary Hetherington
Which of the many costumes you wore on TOTP was your favourite?
Aside from the flying beads in Dancing Queen were there any other costumes that proved especially tricky to dance in.

SueFan

Hi SueFan (Why not RosieFan!!!!!!)

1) Okay, the only ones I can think of off the top of my head were the skin coloured suede tabard we wore on Lately by Stevie Wonder.  Being a branch behind Lulu's rendition of Macarthur's Park by Donna Summer proved a little tricky!

Re: Questions for Rosie, The answers.

Rosemary Hetherington
1.  How did it feel to have the opportunity to be a Smurf?

2.  Did you watch TOTP before Legs & Co and if so what did you think of Ruby Flipper/Pans People?

3.  What did you think of Dances like "Brown Girl in the Ring" and "You're Gonna Get Next to Me" in which you were called upon to Dance with audience members or non-dancers?

4.  In general did you prefer dancing to slow ballads, disco or more rocking/faster songs?

5.  Can you recall any general friendships between the Legs & Co ladies and particular music bands or groups of the time?

6.  When you travelled together as a group I wonder if there was any pattern to who roomed in with who when you stayed in hotels ?

PattiForPM

 1) Do you know what - I loved it.  Honestly I really did.  It was such a light relief to be funny.  I loved the blue face and because I was dating a flutist at the time Flick decided I should be the flute player.  We had such a laugh at rehearsals because we had to practise with those great big shoes.  The great thing that came out of that routine was that ESSO was doing a campaign using the Smurfs and so employed Legs and Co to go all over the country opening Petrol Stations, Supermarkets etc dressed as Smurfs.  It was such a laugh and we earnt a fortune.

2) Yes I absolutely watched TOTP's when I was growing up.  I never missed a single programme.  My absolute favourite was Cherry from Pans People.

3) Again, anything that was a little bit different made a refreshing change.

4) I loved dancing to Earth Wind and Fire, The Jacksons, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder and anything that was funky.

5) As I've mentioned before, we all got on with each other really really well.  I did have a closer relationship with Pauline maybe because we auditioned at the same time and so brought that bond closer.

6) I don't recall any pattern.

Re: Questions for Rosie, The answers.

Rosemary Hetherington
Dear Rosie, Here's a question that's been tormenting me for the past 36 years; What did you do with the big banana after the Supernature routine - Did you take it home as a souvenir?

GaryH

Hi GaryH,

Gary, what have you been doing for the last 36 years.  You must get out more!

Re: Questions for Rosie, The answers.

Rosemary Hetherington
Hello Rosemary!
You've always been my second favourite herb. What's yours?

It's ever so slightly completely brilliant that you've taken the plunge of an OFTD's Q&A session, following in the paths of Sue, Pauline and Lulu, who all lived to tell the tale.

Forum member SuPaLu mentioned your time at the Italia Conti Academy of Theatre Arts in London. Whilst there, do you recall anyone else in your classes who also managed to 'make it' and have success in a particular field?

When in cabaret, how on earth did you manage to continually perform Happy Feet whilst clad in the most inappropriate footwear of either Dr. Martens or wellington boots? With aplomb or with a blister?

In November 1980, you and the girls were allowed to cross to 'the other side', making a guest appearance in ATV-Land on TISWAS. Besides receiving a collective soaking and custard pie mauling as a result of a crooked quiz, do you have any recollection of performing an actual dance routine on the show?

In this day and age, how often do folk make the connection that you used to be a member of Legs & Co.?

Whenever you and the ladies meet up once or twice a year, which one would you say is the most pleasantly boisterous or are they all demure?

Have you ever considered buying an alpaca?

Thank you so much for persuading Pauline to make the right choice in leaving Tommy Steele at the career-path alter in favour of pushing for a place with Legs & Co. back in 1976.

Pauline's Dimples

Hi Pauline's Dimples!

1) Coriander!

2) Tracey Ullman, Lesley Ash, Jamie Foreman (Eastenders), Julie Forsyth (Guys and Dolls) and David Van Day (Dollar).

3) With a ridiculous grin on my face!

4) No, we didn't dance a routine on that programme, just the custard pie throwing malarkey and shocking soaking was all that was required from Legs and Co that day on Tiswas!! How unfair was that!! Do you think it was a set up ha,ha?

5) Only if I offer that information which I very rarely do.  Once people get to know me and perhaps they find out they might say 'Oh yes, I remember'.

6) When we meet up it's always fun!

7) Are you having a laugh with me, Pauline's dimples?

8) How lucky were we that Pauline decided to join Legs and Co.

Many thanks,

Rosie

Re: Questions for Rosie, The answers.

Rosemary Hetherington
Other than looking slighty apprehensive in the long shots when Ed Stewart was introducing you all in the first show, you always looked to be really enjoying performing with no sign of any nerves. How did you really feel in those first few shows?

It is fair to say that yourself and Pauline always had big smiles whilst dancing whilst the other girls had different styles (ie: Sue - sultry, Patti - pouty, Lulu - cheeky), was this just your personalities shining through or was it encouraged to be slightly different from each other (a bit like the costumes)?

The recently shown excellent 'Heart of Glass' routine has you all unusally dancing with much more moody looking expressions, would this have been something that Flick required for certain performances?

Any near disasters when performing?

Would you consider a return to the frizzy hair style :-).

Sadly Legs and Co were rather allowed to fizzle out by the BBC, would you have preferred to have finished with one more proper performance rather than all the backing parts. (I think that the performance to 'Hands Up' by Ottowan a few weeks earlier would have made a great finale).

Did the end of Legs and Co on TOTP actually come at a good time for you?

Do you still get recognized by strangers in the street?

The name on your costumes was always Rosie, however I think that everytime I've heard you introduced it's always been Rosemary. Do you have a personal preference.

I believe that Sue played a big part in persuading you and Lulu to do these Q&As what did she say to convince you?

One final question, but I don't expect that you'll remember the reason why. Back in 1977 a couple of performances you had costumes that were too short for you, most notably the 'Loves Unkind' costume which had a skirt that was several inches shorter than the rest of the girls. Was this just a measurements error by the costume department or a practical joke by them. (I've added a picture below).

Doc

Hi Doc,

Thanks for your questions.

1) Firstly, I can't believe how posh we sounded when we were telling Ed Stewart our names ( I think we all had our telephone voice on ).  Secondly, although I was nervous I did really enjoy performing but I think for the first few shows it really was an out of body experience, all very surreal.

2) It was absolutely our personalities shining through.  There was nothing contrived.

3) As far as I can recall Flick never influenced our performance.  I think our expressions reflected the mood of the Heart Of Glass music.

4) Yes, I nearly fell off my individual podium in Nights On Broadway by Candi Staton.  There was a smoke machine right by my set and the oil had dripped onto it.  You can see me stumble but thank goodness I recovered very quickly.

5) I think I'm so old now it's naturally frizzy!!!

6) Yes I think you're probably right Doc.

7) Yes it really did although I absolutely loved my time in Legs and Co and had made fantastic friendships with them I had been doing it for five years and I was really ready to try new things.  I wouldn't have had the fantastic experience with Guys and Dolls if Legs and Co had continued.

8) Yes, strangely by 60 years+ people with grey hair and bi-focals!

9) When I first joined Legs and Co they put Rosemary on the credits but then Flick thought Rosie was a nicer name and so did I.  I have been called Rosie ever since and I prefer it to Rosemary.

10) Just monthly payments into my Bank account!

11) OH DOC, THIS IS THE BEST QUESTION EVER!!!!!  I have not stopped laughing since seeing that photo.  Where on earth did you get that from?  Unbelievable, I mean I know I was the tallest but my skirt looks at least 6 inches shorter than the others.  What is even more unbelievable is that I didn't even notice!  All I can think off is that the BBC bought a job lot of skirts down Shepherds Bush market and one size fits all!

Thank you so much Doc for the laugh - genius!

Rosie

Re: Questions for Rosie, The answers.

Rosemary Hetherington
Hi again Rosie. Id say my favourite routine from 1979 would have to be `Off The Wall`. The song was great and there was so much happening in it, an incident packed performance one may say. I have three more questions for you.

Were you aware of the shenanigans that was going on with the guy wearing the pork pie hat and his mate who fell of the chair at 0.59 seconds on the link below. They seemed to make you laugh.

Also did you ever so briefly touch hands with an audience member at 1.55 seconds or were my eyes playing tricks with me.

Finally, were you aware that on Simon Bates first two shows hosting TOTPs he name checked you on his first and on his second he walked of arm in arm with you. I reckon you may have been his favourite Legs girl!

RYAN

1) Yeah, I liked Off The Wall too.  Where is that guy that fell of the bench?  It's not you is it Ryan or are you the guy with the white trousers and the red jumper on?  Yes I was aware of a guy falling off the bench, I mean it doesn't take much to make me laugh so you can imagine I had to really dig deep and concentrate.

2) Hang on - let me go into You Tube and have a look.  Blimey Ryan, I don't know what you mean.  I think your eyes are playing tricks with you.

3) No idea.

Thanks Ryan.

Rosie

Re: Questions for Rosie, The answers.

Rosemary Hetherington
Hi Rosie, big thanks in advance for tackling these questions.

How did you find the first few weeks at the beeb, were there plenty of do's and dont's to remember as well as trying to learn routines and how things worked in the studio. Was there anything you found particularly challenging you were not expecting, such the short amount of time to rehearse.

Were you initially concerned that Ruby Flipper only lasted a few months, that this may be a make or break time.

Did you have any particular styles of dance you preferred, i guess Flick must have covered them all at some point.

Hi Mikey,

1) I must say it was quite shocking with the short amount of rehearsal time.  Even if the single we were dancing to didn't go down in the charts we only had Monday and Tuesday to learn a whole routine.  The turnover was incredibly fast so you had to have your wits about you.  Safety in studio was paramount, don't trip over all the wires from the cameras.  It too a huge adjustment to dance on individual podiums because they were so high up and as well as wearing high heeled shoes it was all very scary sometimes.  I didn't like dancing with dry ice.  One, because it was slippery and secondly, when you breathed it in it was quite hot.

2) It was a consideration but it all worked out in the end.

3) I liked dancing to tracks that were up tempo, funky and fun.

thanks Mikey.

Rosie

Re: Questions for Rosie, The answers.

Rosemary Hetherington
Hello Rosie, I'm delighted to hear the news you've agree to take part in one of the Q&A's on here.

Firstly, I'd like to say a belated thank you for answering a question I sent in when you featured on Siren FM's Midweek Drive programme with Alex Lewczuk a couple of years ago.

Since then, Alex keeps me updated on when you're going to be featuring on the show, and I pass the word onto the guys here so we can tune in. I think it's safe to say the OftD community have enjoyed hearing you on the Midweek Drive, in particularly the edition when you were a guest in the studio in Lincoln.

As the guys have already put forward plenty of questions, I'll only pose two simple ones:

Do you hope to get involved in any further editions of the Midweek Drive?

What's it been like looking back on your time in Legs and Co, on both Siren FM and on Shaun Tilley's wonderful TOTP Playback series?

Thank you.

COLM

Hi Colm, thank you for your questions.  I have always enjoyed talking on Siren FM's Midweek Drive.  So glad Alex keeps you up to date as to when I will be featured.  I did particularly enjoy going to Lincoln where I met some of the students.

1)  Yes Colm I really do hope to get involved in further editions of the Midweek drive.  It's just up to Alex as to when that will be.  I think I should get the other girls involved as well if they would like to.  Maybe we could do a whole Legs and Co telephonic link up.  What do you think?

2)  Ah Colm it really has been a blast!  I absolutely love the girls to bits and always enjoy seeing them, so to meet up with Sue, Lulu and Pauline last December to record the top 10 Legs and Co routines on Shaun Tilley's Playback series was tremendous.  What we had together with Legs and Co was rare and totally unique to us.  I feel very very lucky to have been part of it.

Many thanks for your questions Colm.

All the best Rosie

Re: Questions for Rosie, The answers.

Rosemary Hetherington
Thank you so much for doing this, we really have been blessed this year with L&C members contributions, and it really is appreciated... thank you.

1. How would you best describe each of your Legs & Co colleagues.
2. Are there people that know you now that were previously unaware of your time in L&C until the recent TOTP re-runs, and if so how do they react about it?
3. What sort of things have you done in your professional life since L&C, and how does your time in the troupe compare with the things that you've done since?
4. Are you aware of the DOTD (dancer of the day) scoreboard on here, and if so how do you feel about it?
5. When you meet up with the other girls do you ever have a dance and see if you can remember any of the routines? If not are you never even tempted...just a little bit?  :-)
6. Delving a little further with PD’s question, has anyone ever tried to sell you an Alpaca?
7. When did you first hear about this website, how long before you checked it out, and what were your first impressions?
8. To redress the balance what would be your question to OFTD's members?

STUEY

You are more than welcome Stuey.  I really do think you need to thank Sue for this as she spoke very highly of OftD's website,

1)  For me the chemistry between the 6 girls was a winning formula.  There was no way Flick would have known if we were going to get on or if there would be any jalousies.  But miraculously because we were all so different from each other visually and personality wise it just - clicked!  Patti was very kind and with her wealth of experience really took me under her wing and helped me settle in.  Sue was an amazing leader, but  never bossy.  I always admired her from afar and what a dancer - sublime!  Dear Pauline just doesn't have a bad bone in her body.  You could not meet a kinder person always supportive, fun loving and sincere.  Lulu was such fun to be with she had and still has a wicked sense of humour.  She is also very sensible and practical.  Gill was also a lot of fun to be with.

2)  Yes I have had friends who were unaware of my involment in Legs and Co.  Their reaction I seem to remember was mostly of fondest.  Everyone of a certain age grew up watching Top's didn't they?

3)  Oh my goodness where on earth do I start.  Well you know about Guys and Dolls.  When I returned from Holland to England in 1986 I joined a vocal group called Cover Girls we toured with Canon and Ball and had a residency at The Skyline Hotel at Heathrow.   In 1988 I ran my own business in retail and opened a shop in Brighton.  It was at this time I met my husband.  I then closed the shop in 1991 and moved up to London and became a free lance singer.  I sang with many different dance bands in London.  I sang right up until I became pregnant in 1997.  I decided to stop singing once I had my gorgeous daughter Florence as I wasn't getting home after my gigs had finished until 2.00am in the morning.  So once my daughter was 6 months of age I took her to a pre-school music group in Brighton.  There weren't very many of these groups around in 1997 and when I saw what they were doing I decided to start my own called Tinkerbells Music group.  The parents would bring their baby to the group where we would all sing nursery rhymes.  I recorded 3 albums of Nursery rhymes and funnily enough I have just recently signed a contract with a recording company - so watch out for these on iTunes.  I sold Tinkerbells 9 years later, and in 2008 I bought a franchise called The Helen O'Grady Drama Academy where I employed 4 teachers to teach 400 pupils a week in the Sussex area.  That was an amazing time as it concentrated on children with low self-esteem and  confidence issues. I'm a huge believer that drama can help overcome these barriers. I sold that business in 2012 and I am now a vocal coach at a school near to where I live called Rok School.  Phew!  Bet you wished you hadn't asked now!!  Ha, ha.

4)  No I'm not aware of DOTD - sorry.  I don't think I'm brave enough to look though. I honestly don't think I'd be up there somehow, not when you've got Sue and Patti to compete with!!!!!!

5)  When we meet up it's always at a restaurant - can you imagine if we suddenly got up and started dancing around I think we'd be thrown out.  Also we must think of the other diners. Perhaps all the girls should meet up at my place put on my 70's vinals and see what happens - it would be a laugh if nothing else.

6)  OK now you're definitely making fun of me - what's the joke??

7)  I'm pretty sure I had heard about your website through Sue maybe early last year.  I have only just checked it out when I knew I was going to be answering questions on the forum.  You all seem very respectful and there seems to be some very complimentary comments about us.  So thank you all very much for that.  Puts a spring in a 50 something year olds step!!!!  Cheers for that very unexpected.

8)  How did OftD's first start out?  Who's idea was it in the first place?  Did you know each other before the website started?  How many are there on the website?  Where on earth do you find all the video's and footage?  Also would you ever be able to find any of the 'outtakes?'

Thank you so much Stuey for your questions hope I haven't waffled on for too long!

All the very best Rosie
1234