RAZZAMATAZZ [July]

RAZZAMATAZZ   Dance/performance number 273 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Quincey Jones  reaching number 11 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  02/07/81  Duration of dance/performance 2.57 mins
Dancers--Anita, Gill, Lulu, Patti, Rosie, Sue.

Sue      252
Rosie    251
Patti     246
Gill        242
Lulu      242
Pauline  231
Anita        6

Images taken from AC/PDs screengrabs section in `Pictures`
Yeah i know, its impossible to stop your head from rotating in a slow circular motion when watching this. Whos bright idea was that camerawork ? I think that is the only real gripe though about it, as everything else is spot on in enjoyment and entertainment. I think the pyramid setting works well, and how nice is it to see a routine as well lit as this one, with its gold and white hues shining down. The girls slender well tanned bodies are complemented superbly by the scant golden two-piece ensembles, surely right up there with the sexist outfits yet. Its quite a long routine, almost 3 minutes in length and the `white-out` towards the end also works well (even if the dancing went a bit awry in that segment). But what i enjoy most about the routine are the simple dance moves, the arms out stretched with the sudden thrust in motion, the salute, the strutting walk, so many to list. As for the record, well i think i prefer it to the first Quincy Jones track that the girls performed to and looking at the charts, it did slightly better also. Just a mention to the vocalist on the track, Patti Austin, great first name hey !

Rating--This routine hovers around the maximum mark for me, but i cant go as far as that due to the annoying camera work.I do consider this another great day at the office for Legs & Co and it just reaffirms my belief that these girls had loads more to offer TOTPs. I will give this `9.5 out of 10`. Just another of those great shames that this missed the BBC4 treatment due to the Yewtree.

Re: RAZZAMATAZZ [July]

Legsfan
Wonderful routine which compliments the great Quincy Jones song well. Not too keen on the camerawork but that's just someones idea of making things more interesting I suppose. Ai No Corrida and Razzamatazz were made to be danced by Legs & Co I only wish it could have been a longer routine!
Rating: 10/10
DOTD: Rosie

Re: RAZZAMATAZZ [July]

Its a gold medal performance without a doubt, even if the background occasionally slips into silver, with super sexy outfits and a routine that fits them and the song perfectly.  The slanted camera work also works well with the set, the cameraman sensibly majoring on Sue, and so its a resounding 10 with Sue my Dotd.

Re: RAZZAMATAZZ [July]

In this routine, we come to another routine to Quincy Jones tune. Our ladies are in a gold light Pyramid set. We also have strange camera angles. All the way through the routine. The ladies are wearing some of the sexiest garb we have seen. This is gold bikinis that shows off there wonderful tanned toned bodies. That most women would die for, I think. These bikinis goes with the bright yellow lights. We also have light change during the routine. A white light for a floor bit for this routine. A all round fantastic routine, with great arm movements and spins. And some nice floor work near the end of the routine. So high mark by me for this rotine coming up.

The Dotd must go to Sue she looks fantastic. But any of the ladies could have been the Dotd.

The score 10 out of 10.

Re: RAZZAMATAZZ [July]

I'd loosen my tie if I had one too.  The ladies are on fire and the set and costumes are top notch.  They're like the six fair maidens chosen to accompany the Pharaoh to the afterlife and what an incredibly lucky deceased dude he'd be.  I don't really like the song, the rotating camera doesn't add a thing to this spectacle and the Hammond Reverse is not my most savoured moment so I'm well below a max but this is still an extremely enjoyable Dance.  I think 9/10 is fair.  DotD is tricky for me; Sue is absolutely brilliant but for some reason I can't take my eyes off Lulu here so I'm going with my retinas.

Re: RAZZAMATAZZ [July]

Everything'sRosie
The episodes BBC4 had to miss out due to the antics of Sir James Savile OBE is a constant niggle, but every once in a while it turns into a major major disappointment. And this is such a case. I absolutely love this routine, and not being able to see it in digital quality is a catastrophe as far as I'm concerned.

Everything works here. The music, the golden costumes, the moves. There's an Egyptian vibe going on and the girls make extremely fetching handmaidens as they teasingly dance around their own private pyramid while Pharaoh is away. Not sure why the camera angle keeps changing (like in 60s Batman) but I almost expected King Tut to wander on set. Luckily someone on YouTube has corrected this irritant and so the need to move the laptop screen around to keep our girls on the level is eradicated!

One I can watch over and over again.

A gilded classic...and a Midasastic 10/10 from me.
DotD? Could be any of them, but that knowing (I won't say dirty) grin from Lulu just edges it.

Re: RAZZAMATAZZ [July]

Everything'sRosie wrote
 Luckily someone on YouTube has corrected this irritant and so the need to move the laptop screen around to keep our girls on the level is eradicated!
Yes ER, our old friend Sneaky Techno has got to work on that. Hes also extended the dance by a couple of minutes too.
https://youtu.be/KaopnXqpZz8

Re: RAZZAMATAZZ [July]

Colm
Rewatching this gives me a new appreciation for the staging - the yellow-tinged lighting creating the effect of a golden room with sun-kissed dancers, and who wouldn't want to have a pyramid room in their dream house?

I also like the use of the "queue" as successfully deployed in the likes of "Heart of Glass", "Off the Wall", "Same Old Scene" etc.

DotD: Sue stands out most here for me, as she gets the best camera exposure and, of course, uses it to everyone's advantage...

Score: 8.5

Re: RAZZAMATAZZ [July]

Forget the search for a Terry's Pyramint - bring 'em back! How much more wondrous one of the seven wonders of the world have become - excavate the golden pyramid and discover half-a-dozen not-so-ancient Goddesses, glorious beings in gold finery moving to the heat stored in their very own pyramid solarium. The soft curves on display contrast sharply with the acute edges and straight lines of the dance environment.
The much admired unity of the dancers is nicely captured by the slow moving exploratory camera, capturing the ins and outs of the glowing routine all in a single shot. However, the depiction of a pyramid seemingly rotating on it's own peculiar axis was a poor decision and - due to the disruption caused to viewing pleasure - is to the detriment of the dance. Kept entirely on terra firma, the dance and set-up would have received another 10. However, through a dotty Directional decision over which Legs & Co. would have had no input, a good few marks are deducted for that choice and that choice alone.
7/10
DOTD: Rosie.

Re: RAZZAMATAZZ [July]

Gorgeous Daze
Fascinating. Here's the finest view that never homed in on the screen of the USS Enterprise. A ship of sun-gold goddesses harnessing pyramid power. Red alert! The tilting course through space works well as an effect but as so often with these things it gets the thumbs down overall as an annoyance that diminishes enjoyment of the dancing. And that they're so hot is no reason for fledgling 'Ealth & Safety to deny us sufficient close encounters. If this wasn't enough they're hampered too by a brush in the space-time continuum with PCS Yewtree Command.

This has a flow and ease of execution that as per norm now says mastery of profession, and it's a tribute to Anita that a game of Spot The Rookie would produce much .  There's a good variety of reaching up to other celestial bodies, prefiguring the euphoria of house music. I like the interweaving, and note that 'Get In There!' elbow move that greets mentions of razzamatazz. And I believe I even spotted subtle jazzamatazz hands.

With a crew this molten something had to give, but even so the scene going white-hot supernova is one of the most dazzling and unanticipated pieces of studio trickery we've experienced. Steadying the ship and hitting the deck for this development heightens the impact and it's the best part of a routine where in truth though the choreography is good it's outshone by out-of-this-world costumes.

Saluting Rosie with the DOTD.   8.5/10

Re: RAZZAMATAZZ [July]

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Razzmatazz is not a great track, it sounds more like an album track or something written for a tv show....but I really loved the dance

DotD Rosie

 out of 10
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: RAZZAMATAZZ [July]

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Only 14 more pages left in my little notebook - so sad :(
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: RAZZAMATAZZ [July]

Doc
Seeing dances like this I have to say I'm thankful that UK Gold showed so many episodes and someone was clever enough to record them. We would be in a woeful position without them. It's just a shame they were probably recorded on the inferior VHS format, hence the fuzzy vision of the encodes. Now a home recording of the original show does exist in much better condition and you can probably get a copy for a Kings Ransom, a 30 second taster has been put on line to tempt you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wfi4wyF4Rg
An even better version exists but has been locked up with no hope of parole just because it was in the same studio on the same day as an unmentionable and the owners are so spineless that they won't show it just in case a shadow or small piece of the person sneaks into shot. Shame on you BBC!
The dance, oh yes, very nice 9/10.
Dotd: Decided before the drumbeat started! Rosie.

Re: RAZZAMATAZZ [July]

VintageVideos
With Swing Your Daddy being one of my favs, I'm not really bothered by the circular motion. However, I do prefer the other QJ record to this one. Having said that this is a fine routine and a really great setting IMO. Yet it doesn't quite grab me as some of the others.

8.5 / 10

Re: RAZZAMATAZZ [July]

Two Quincy Jones tracks, two routines where our lovely ladies are as hot as hell, and two performances that were Yewtreed, life can be so unfair sometimes! I have to say, every one of the girls look absolutely stunning in this performance, well toned and well tanned, and those sexy skimpy gold outfits just set the whole look off, it's one of those where just about everything seems to work, apart from the tilting camera which I can't say I'm a fan of. Great use of the lighting too, I especially like the instrumental section where the whole stage is bathed in bright white light, a great contrast to the yellow throughout the rest of the routine.

Rating 9/10

DOTD Sue

Re: RAZZAMATAZZ [July]

Old Grey Whistler
This is a routine that I was really looking forward to, but sadly the end result left me feeling a little disappointed. I like the pyramid setting , the costumes are great and so is the dancing. What really spoils it for me is the camera motion which makes this quite difficult to watch at times. Thankfully at least the flashing light isn't as severe as on Disco Inferno, as otherwise it would have been a complete write off. However a routine which should have scored a maximum will instead have to settle for 8 out of 10.

DOTD is Rosie

Re: RAZZAMATAZZ [July]

Mikey
Superb stuff from Legs (and the whole team) on this one, i agree the track is a bit average but what a visual spectacle the gold (and occasionally white) pyramid rotating in space is. Has there ever been a routine that uses a single lighting colour throughout?. The theme of ever decreasing costumes perhaps reaches its conclusion here with these nice slinky outfits. Flicks choreography looks great too, plenty of synchronous dance moves, arm waving and even a short floor section, perhaps the only thing it lacks are any real solo parts or close ups. Overall excellent, 9/10 DOTD Rosie

Re: RAZZAMATAZZ [July]

The Rubberband Man
This routine tilts more than a Virgin Pendolino train. Dancer will be getting motion sickness watching this.
Although I do like the optical illusion that’s produced, how much better would it have been if the camera man had just stood still ?

Costumes are gorgeous, and Lulu look incredibly sexy….she is absolutely the DotD here.

Dance is nothing special, the tightness gets lost momentarily when the pyramid turns white, so it’s a 7/10

Re: RAZZAMATAZZ [July]

A great effect with the stage, looking like an open triangle drifting inside a black void, & heaps of gold, making for a nice ce warm glow if you saw it in the night sky. The heat's obviously necessitating a revealing dress code once again, but you can easily picture a group of girls out clubbing, & dancing to a backing track like this, whilest wearing similar clothing! DotD:- Rosie Rating:- 8/10

Re: RAZZAMATAZZ [July]

brandonb
10/10 DOTD: Sue

Another great routine - I love the record, nothing not to love about the girls in this one. The slant shot camera angles didn't bother me. I have noticed that some people when they see slant shot instinctively align their heads with the angle of slants - whereas others (me included) don't. I can imagine if you are one of those who follows the angle of the camera then this would be very annoying and likely give you neck ache. So I totally understand where people who found this bothersome are coming from. Why it doesn't bother me I've no idea? Maybe it's too much seeing the world slanted after one too many drinks when I was younger?

It's another routine that relies on the girls being tight together and Sue really sets the pace for me with her usual precision... hence why she made my DOTD. I did think things had gone a bit pear shaped during the guitar break where everything goes white... but on watching again I'm not so sure. At first I thought they'd lost sync with each other - but watching again I think the idea was half did one thing - while the other did another with their arms vs crouching... hence I'm not sure they lost sync as much as it just lacked the precision of the rest of the routine. This is understandable during a guitar break as the sound ques as to when to move are probably harder to identify... But it was such a minor thing I couldn't detract any points for what was overall another splendid routine and another that leaves me crying into my cup of cha because it was Yewtreed - grrrr.

Incidentally small pedantic point Ryan:

RYAN wrote
ensembles, surely right up there with the sexist outfits yet.
I think you meant sexiest in which case you'd be right ;)
12