Quantcast

RED LIGHT SPELLS DANGER -- [April]

RED LIGHT SPELLS DANGER Dance number 34 by Legs & Co
Performed by   Billy Ocean and reaching No 2 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  28/04/77 Duration of dance 2.26 mins
Dancers-- Gill & Rosie.
The Legs & Co attendance register so far after 34 dances --

Pauline 33                      Sue 32
Rosie 33                         Gill 30
Lulu 32                          Patti 29
A link to the dance--
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x25brqe_legs-co-red-light-spells-danger-totp-tx-28-04-1977_creation

Two of our blonde beauties dancing in perfect symmetry to arguably Billy Oceans strongest ever track. On this particular episode, we had three doses of Legs & Co in some shape or form, this being the middle helping. Here, two of our young goddesses are in skimpy two piece outfits and each looking well at ease. Though the choreography was of a short repetitive nature, its still a delight to view. I think a score from me of 7.5 out of 10 is about right.

Re: RED LIGHT SPELLS DANGER

PattiForPM
The Dancing is not complex i agree but by golly those two smiling delectable blondes in the skimpy black outfits carry this off really well.  I like Billy Ocean and this song too and putting the girls right at the front was a master stroke.  Really a good example of appearing with a Singer and enhancing the whole experience for everyone.  I bet even Billy had a good time.  8/10

Re: RED LIGHT SPELLS DANGER

Paperboyplod
This routine is a perfect example of how to use backing dancers, just make sure that they're at the front of the stage in full view of the audience, I really enjoyed watching this for the first time fairly recently, Rosie & Gillian really work well performing the dance moves whilest Billy Ocean croons out the lyrics on stage alongside them, the girl's cosumes aren't bad either, depicting red lights on them, altough they could've been more reflective against the studio lights, creating more of the affects of red lights flashing!

Re: RED LIGHT SPELLS DANGER

  Yes i agree with you regarding using the dancers to enhance a performance by the performer on stage. By having the girls in front in a prominent position, certainly added a touch of class to the proceedings. It would have been so easy to just shove them to the back behind Mr Ocean and so losing the effect of these two lovely individuals.  Sadly that sort of thing later transpired in the later years of Legs & Co.

Re: RED LIGHT SPELLS DANGER

Suefan
I would also endorse the view that having the girls stage front was a clever move enhancing what is already an entrancing routine.  This line of thought has got me wondering how much improved that "Dancing With The Captain" business would have been if old PN had been shoved to the back of the stage while Lulu and Sue horn piped at the front but I digress.

Re: RED LIGHT SPELLS DANGER

bucksby
A good song (although I prefer Love really hurts..) enhanced by our lovelies. 8 out of 10.

Re: RED LIGHT SPELLS DANGER

74benja81
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: RED LIGHT SPELLS DANGER

I don't think I'll get tired of this routine. Despite this being one of Billys best records I think the girls steal the show and judging by Billys expression early on I think he agrees. One thing to look for near the middle of the routine is Gills 'On no I've gone wrong' moment when she stops for a second but then carries on after it became obvious from Rosie that she was doing it right after all.
After some additional study (which was fun) it appears to have been caused by a slight 'hip-sync' problem.

Re: RED LIGHT SPELLS DANGER

Lookmacinanger
Benja, you put Gok Wan to shame with your assessment of Billy's wardrobe!

I never knew Mr Ocean started his working life next to the Thames ( he must have loved the water) on the production line at Ford's Dagenham plant and I agree I think he must have been given some left over upholstery to make that jacket with.

Anyway this was a great song and Rosie and Gill look stunning and do a superb routine with Billy kept out the way. Part of the great Legs and Co trilogy from this particular show and if I was in charge we would have done this a few more times. 9/10

Re: RED LIGHT SPELLS DANGER

Suefan
I'm of the same view Mac, a few more solos and duos would not have gone amiss with this fan either.  Far back in the mists of time there was one show when Pans split up and made several appearances on the same show but such must have been very time consuming in terms of rehearsal which I guess is one reason why they were uncommon.

If I may Ryan, seeing as how I put down a score for Pauline's solo from this show, could I throw a near perfect nine into the mix for Red Light.

Re: RED LIGHT SPELLS DANGER

Okay SF, i will throw your near perfect score of nine onto the table of averages ( to be found on the 2nd line of this thread )

Re: RED LIGHT SPELLS DANGER

Floid Fan
Well 'Love Really Hurts' was in the charts in Feb 76 I think, so it would have Pans rather than Legs to be given the chance to dance with Billy.  Don't think Pan's did though, did they?
Carl
Stu

Re: RED LIGHT SPELLS DANGER

Stu
This is one of my favourite songs of all time, and whilst it's slightly disappointing we haven't got a full plethora of dancing vixens, our couple of blonde bombshells do it more than justice. Fun routine with a definite sixties feel about it.

9/10

Stuey

Re: RED LIGHT SPELLS DANGER

Andeebee
ok routine 7 for me, would loved to of seen the outfits recycled in Boogie nights thou

Re: RED LIGHT SPELLS DANGER

Old Bill
I hadn't heard this song before the Pops repeats, and thought when it started it was going to be some more dreary soul drivel that abounded at the time. But it's really quite good. A pleasant surprise.

And as a backing dance, i think this is one of the best ones we've got. Such a nice change to have them at the front, it makes Billy look even better too to take a back seat as everyone knows it's still really his gig.

Gill and Rosie look lovely, all smiles and flashes of red. But they look far from dangerous - they look wonderful!
It's a simple dance, but like everyone else has said you don't really care, or even notice - not one to tire off.

I like it. 7.5 / 10.

but Suefan's poetry only gets a 4.5 / 10 I'm afraid! ;-)
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: RED LIGHT SPELLS DANGER

VintageVideos
Not a big Billy Ocean fan I'm afraid, but Gill & Rosie are lovely here. It's just difficult to rate such a performance. As the two manage to always cheer me up whenever I watch this, I won't be Scrooge-like and award 8 /10.
Vin

Re: RED LIGHT SPELLS DANGER

Doc
Probably one of my favorite Billy Ocean songs. So how do you improve it and upstage the singer at the same time? Get 2 of the most beautfiful girls in the country to dance in front of him and don't give them much to wear. I think Billy quite liked this judging by the look he gives Rosie half way through. Ok the dance is fairly repetitive and Gill makes a small mistake in the middle of it, but the girls look unbelievable and I'm mesmerised by them whenever I watch this. There is only one mark that I can give and that is 10.

Re: RED LIGHT SPELLS DANGER

Who's That Hurll
This should be changed to 'Red Hot Spells Danger', as Gill's and Rosie's sweaters appear to have shrunk in the wash and sent temperatures soaring amongst viewers. A striking accompaniment to Billy's urgent vocals.
8/10
WTH

Re: RED LIGHT SPELLS DANGER

Old Grey Whistler
The second 'legs' performance of the show brings the lovely duo of Gill and Rosie together, performing in front of Billy Ocean.  It is a nice routine mainly consisting of hand and hip movements and the two girls  are well synchronised with each other. It is another sign of the growing confidence and maturity of the troupe, that these two relatively inexperienced dancers were trusted to perform this, and they didn't disappoint.  I'm not all that keen on the song but I am happy to award this 7.5 out of 10.

Re: RED LIGHT SPELLS DANGER

Colm
Is this the only song where members of Legs and Co danced to a performance by the TOTP orchestra? I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

Anyhow, Gill and Rosie offer a pleasant accompaniment.

Score: 7.5