REGGAE LIKE IT USED TO BE

 Reggae like it Used to Be is a song written by Dominic Bugatti and Frank Musker and sung by Paul Nicholas, born Paul Oscar Bueselinck in Peterborough.  Paul started his career as a Pop singer in the 1960s singing obscure Pete Townsend and David Bowie songs at times (the latter song was banned by the BBC rather unnecessarily) then met greater success in Theatre starting in 1970 in Hair then other productions including Jesus Christ Superstar before returning to the Pop Scene briefly to release several singles, this amongst them, and then progressing on to more enduring prominence in Film and Theatre.  His father was an MI6-agent-turned-Entertainment Lawyer to the Stars (including Sean Connery and the Who, as well as Paul’s long term supporter and colleague Robert Stigwood).
 I wondered what indeed Reggae used to be to someone pre-1976, given that it didn’t really exist until the late 1960s and developed from Rocksteady and Ska but the lyrics give us few clues.  It is inseparable from the Island of Jamaica and from the Rastafari, those  lads and lasses who choose to worship the ultra-rich deceased Ethiopian semi-despot Hailie Salaissie for some unknown reason and also advocate for the Spiritual use of Marijuanha for a much better known reason.
 For those of you who are Viz fans, one translation of Reggae Like It used to be is a "Bizarre, almost unattainable sexual position much favoured by Roger Mellie"

              REGGAE LIKE IT USED TO BE  -  Paul Nicholas                              May 13th 1976

                                       DANCERS:      Floid,  Lulu,  Sue

 LINK:   http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26bp4a_ruby-flipper-reggae-like-it-used-to-be-totp-tx-13-051976_creation
  This Dance, like a good black coffee, is after the Hangover and before the Walk and is quite fun but naturally suffers from too many interruptions (featuring Mr Nicholas singing his song).  Floid with Lulu on one side and Sue on the other provide a balanced threesome and the red dresses are pleasing, particularly with the high split sides.  Floid meanwhile is decked out in red shades and yellow slacks and Dances with gusto.  I do spot Patti’s bed off to one side at the beginning and wonder to myself what the lovely lady was up to during this Dance, ahem, but I digress.  I also find myself wondering how the trio interpreted the Beethoven bit but we’ll never know I guess.  DLT is quite funny when joining the Troupe a little ineptly and I like the group hug at the end too.  I do quite enjoy this in some ways but it suffers by comparison to RF’s more accomplished pieces, even in the same Program so I can only award 6/10 and I must give DotD to Sue, who is quite delightful here.  I welcome your comments friends

Re: REGGAE LIKE IT USED TO BE

Andeebee
DLT looks a giant in this, and to be honest that Paul Nicholas does get in the way too much.  Floid looks like he is auditioning for a part in The Fly (maybe where Bono got his idea from)

terrible song - 4/10

DOTD: DLT - I wish I could vote for him but for the extremely high split skirt the shapely pins and the rear wiggle it's Sue for me

Re: REGGAE LIKE IT USED TO BE

This is brisk and enjoyable and while the song is dire the dresses and the wiggles more than compensate so I'm going for a 6.5.  This early in the run Lulu is still finding her reggae feet but still does well, while Floid deserves a hand for wearing those trousers, but for her exuberance and dance ability coupled with outright gorgeousness Sue gets the Dotd pick from me.

Re: REGGAE LIKE IT USED TO BE

PattiForPM
Thanks for your comments guys.  I don't expect this to be the highest scoring performance but the Dancers do a good job with the tools they have been given I think.  The song is certainly not a show-stopper and I wish the Dancers were a little closer to the singer in some ways so that it wouldn't take such a big panning manouvre to get to them but there it is.  I look forward to more strong opinions

Re: REGGAE LIKE IT USED TO BE

A white boy just can't reggae. Granted, UB40's first two or three albums could serve as an indication that this statement might not be 100% true, but in this context Paul Nicholas is whiter than white. While his record "Reggae like it used to be" incorporates a few ingredients that may sound vaguely Jamaican to the untrained ear, it's actually as far removed from reggae as Brighton is from Kingston (or, for that matter, Montego Bay).
Trying to make sense of the lyrics is futile as they merely consist of mindless drivel (who is Stevie and how could you possibly reggae Beethoven?), which suggests that the writers of this piece of bubblegum pop may have had at least something in common with the dreadlocks, and that is a preference for psychedelic substances.
This record has one specific quality though, it winds into your "meatus acusticus" (this one's for you P4PM) and refuses to leave it for the rest of the day which is why I normally refrain from listening to it. Even now I find myself humming its catchy little melody. I just hope Paul won't haunt me in my dreams!

With that said, it must have seemed like 'mission impossible' for our troupe. Given the support Paul Nicholas received from Ruby Flipper and Legs & Co., one might even be tempted to wonder if he was the 'Gene Farrow' of 1976, an otherwise bland character who desperately cried out for some spicing up. But enough of him!

Thank you BBC for the wonderful 60 seconds we see of Ruby Flipper here. Honest, the middle portion of this performance is my favourite part by far. It's just too short. And most of the 60 seconds a certain Mr. N pushes himself to the fore.
A complete routine for this song might have scored something above 6 even if only three dancers were involved. I am really trying hard to be objective here (as you will have noticed), but, sorry to say this is not more than

4 / 10

Floid looks really cool so he gets my nod for DotD.

And Gene Farrow beats Paul Nicholas hands down. Seriously.
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: REGGAE LIKE IT USED TO BE

From what we see of the dancers, it could've been heaps more, they looked fairly smart, I think that Floid could've done without the sunglasses, & lucky for him, he was flanked by Lulu & Sue, who looked great in their red dresses, DLT provided the humour with his late joining-in, to redress the gender imbalance.

This routine however, was wasn't so much of one, as a Paul Nicholas studio appearance, with an incidental Ruby Flipper routine that appeared periodically, about half of the 'routine' was just Paul performing live in front of the studio audience.

I'd have marked this routine lower if it wasn't for the entertainment value of RF, (& DLT), when we did see them.

7/10

DotD:-

Lulu

Re: REGGAE LIKE IT USED TO BE

Lulu's slight apprehension is so endearing, Floid's brightness is equally enchanting, even Dave's joining in raises a smile. But for me, the DotD on "Reggae Like It Used to Be" is the glorious Sue.

Score: 7.5
LNV

Re: REGGAE LIKE IT USED TO BE

LNV
This post was updated on .
We’ve got Repetition,…we’ve got Repetition…we’ve got Repetition, I dislike this lazy lyric type of pop song intensely. A polysyllabic -filler. Who have we got up on stage this week ? Well folks it’s that smiling Cheshire Cool Cat, Mr Paul Nicholas in an off the peg showbiz dazzler jacket. He’s rather fun isn’t he, because Mr. Nicholas performs his piece with all the showbiz schtick he knows: Those trade mark bits and pieces that a “personality” uses to sell themselves to an audience: A wink to camera, his curved hands hanging limply in a dad-dancing way and jaunty body movement with the dapper taking off and on of hat on head. Ah who now performs like this on our tv screens or as this is now the 21st Century any type of screen anymore ? We are so knowing and sophisticated to consider what Mr Nicholas offers us as worthy of being classed as entertainment or would pay to watch such a display.

It captures possibly a lost innocence, a simpler time, all those clichés about almost any Yesteryear that we have heard of before.

But by Jove !  What fun for all the family this throwaway tv moment would have been for us watching at the time, and I think can only be truly appreciated and enjoyed as a with the family moment.  Mum’s contented in the kitchen, Dad’s pretending not to be watching the kids show but still keeps his eyes attentive for a lovely lass or two that has caught his interest in the past, the cat stretches and gives a sleepy yawn and sister and I mimic the moves of Travis & Co; only the goldfish look on unconcerned about the family scene before them. Are they only too aware that we are looking at flickering images behind thick curved glass that swirl before our watery eyes?

The Ruby Flipper trio of Lulu, Floid and Sue make their appearance half way through the presentation, Lulu is caught as red handed as she will ever be, monitor watching. She is so without guile and appears to have arrived on set straight from her audition.
Sue tries to give substance to this Flick fluffery. Surely the most candyfloss ephemeral routine devised by Flick, such a lack of choreographed substance to have ever been given to her dancers. A rather untidy affair really. Is Sue here only to look after camera-shy Lulu that capture all her self conscious awkwardness before them ?

As this is such a none performance it is therefore in the tradition of good ol’ Stan Lee that I award all involved an amazing No-Prize, [see YMG for explanation.]

Excelsior !

Re: REGGAE LIKE IT USED TO BE

    Its very difficult to give a rating to this, with the three members of Ruby Flipper being on screen for such a short time. This is quite a jolly little tune, but nothing special and this isn't how i remember Reggae music. As for the three dancers, well Sue just exudes confidence and looks like she been on Totps for longer than almost two years.
    Lulu on the other hand looks a bit of a nervous wreck here and seemed unsure of her moves at times. There is one segment that's most untidy, the part where Lulu goes under Sues arm and the following dance moves. Lulu seems to be looking for guidance off-stage, what was she looking at ?
    Floid looks bright and cheerful, well dosent he always and the girls look delightful in their red dresses. I don't mind the DLT intervention at the end and he seems to be having a laugh with Sue, whos digging the scene. I do however have a reservation about him with his arms round all three of them after the dance, there was a split second of awkwardness and i think the dancers were glad to be off stage.

DOTD, the very capable `Sue`, looking lovely as always.

Rating, well although i do like to watch this one, its not a full on routine. So im going for `7 out of 10`, its still enjoyable.

Re: REGGAE LIKE IT USED TO BE

Gorgeous Daze
I'm not a reggae fan. But if I was I would probably be annoyed at this limp appropriation laying claim to some kind of golden age authenticity. And I'm afraid that, apart from a few wiggles, the dance is as undistinguished as the song.

Ryan has amply covered the jittery mess Lulu gets into. No worry, young 'un. I've a feeling everything will be alright. I don't think the gestures to camera when they're at the side of the stage work very well anyway. DLT's intrusions can raise an uncertain smile, but on this occasion he just compounds the untidiness that Lulu started. (I wonder what Flick thought of his incursions?). He also enters the fray too early, there's little enough that was meant to be entirely Flipper as it is. At least his participation here is in step with the froth of the song, if not the rhythm. A poor showing as far as I'm concerned then. Nice dresses though.

I've given most Ruby Flipper routines a high mark. Though a very low mark might seem harsh given the limitations they were operating under, I feel it's necessary for differentiation.  2.5/10

DOTD can only be Sue.

LNV: I can't think what The Dickies' guitarist has to do with not rating a routine. (But I'm too shy to ask YMG).

Re: REGGAE LIKE IT USED TO BE

Gorgeous Daze wrote

I've given most Ruby Flipper routines a high mark. Though a very low mark might seem harsh given the limitations they were operating under, I feel it's necessary for differentiation.
I think you have got the wording correct here GD, when you say "Ruby Flipper routines". This as we know isn't a full blown routine and there are plenty more of these `accompanying the artist on stage etc` to come. These bit part performances will never score heavily when compared to a full blown routine. Its going to be really interesting though when we get to the solos and part solos and how we score those.

The other problem i think with this particular performance when it comes to scoring is just what are we looking for in regards to rating it. Ive given this 7/10, not because its some kind of masterpiece of choreography which it clearly isn't, ive given it a relatively high mark because i enjoyed watching the three dancers dancing to this merry tune. But it is tricky finding the correct score to to award.

Oh talking of the correct score to award, this is a dilemma i will be facing very soon on BBC4 totps. Im sure P4PM knows which routine im on about. Im already sharpening my knife for it.

Re: REGGAE LIKE IT USED TO BE

PattiForPM
Yes I  know your nemesis is approaching Ryan.  Some interesting comments here chaps.  Mr Nicholas is the target of some rotten fruit here but I think he deserves it too really.  I honestly didn't notice Lulu's trials and tribulations much until you all highlighted them as, fessing up, I was watching Sue most of the time (I know, I know, I'm supposed to be a good host but I'm only a fallible human) but now I do see the hesitant moves.  The song too is like candyfloss and yes Vin it is a bit of an earworm.  I can understand the lower marks, especially as the three Dancers spend only a short time in action and I did even consider not featuring this Dance at all but I think it does deserve an airing and it is part of the preciously small Ruby Flipper portfolio after all.  LNV I too am struggling with the Stan Lee reference.  Is this the Marvel Comics guy?  Please enlighten this poor literary nincompoop and meanwhile all comments are welcome, with or without ratings of course...

Re: REGGAE LIKE IT USED TO BE

  This is your thread P4PM, and im i hope im not sticking my nose in, but i was under the impression you were going to feature all the Ruby Flipper performances, whether they be full routine or bit part. I note you had just said in your previous post that you were considering not featuring this one.
  I do appreciate that it would be difficult to say open a full thread for just Lulu dancing to Simon May, or Floid popping up on Tina Charles. Maybe it would be a thought to group some of these performances on one post and ask folk to submit comments and a rating for each of them. Obviously you are not going to offer up Dotd for solo dances, but it would be a shame if we couldn't at least make comments on them. Im sure you have this all planed out anyway.

Re: REGGAE LIKE IT USED TO BE

PattiForPM
Yes I do intend to provide some kind of opportunity to comment on all the RF outings apart from that controversial "face only" My Resistance is Low Ryan, don't worry.  After all would I want to miss roasting or toasting Tina Charles?  Seriously though I want to present the solos and duets a little differently (and I might need your help there) but they will all be available for review I promise.

Re: REGGAE LIKE IT USED TO BE

Andeebee
Tina Charles definately gets a roasting (and not like that either).

I try and not watch the Paul Nicholas trilogy, very much comparing them the Star Wars epiosde I-III, just can't bare to watch the guy.

It's a shame that RF has a small body of work, but at least we can get to see all their work (apart from some choice nuggets the BBC failed to save), so I do think it is correct in featuring all the performances. In what format that is up to the host himself.

Re: REGGAE LIKE IT USED TO BE

Lookmacinanger
Not sure what to make of this, I personally would have left the artist to get along with his own performance. The highlight though was seeing someone so overcome with Paul Nicholas sing that they had to sit down on Patti's bed (not part of this routine I hasten to add). Dotd Sue 5/10

Re: REGGAE LIKE IT USED TO BE

PaulF
This post was updated on .
Not too much to go on here, but Lulu struggles a bit and Floid is outshone by the perfect DOTD Sue. 5/10
Paul

Re: REGGAE LIKE IT USED TO BE

Gorgeous Daze
I'm hoping this pushes the bold and divisive TVC15 off the bottom of the table. But it doesn't look like it quite will.

Re: REGGAE LIKE IT USED TO BE

Yes GD, I thought TVC15 might have some competition too but this seems to be settling above it by a small but significant margin.  TVC has some vehement detractors whereas this performance doesn't seem to excite quite the same vitriol in most of us.  Thanks and welcome to PaulF as the newest contributor to this Thread.  So good to see a new name here and I hope you have time to look at other Dances here.  No rush though, they're often best savoured like good wine I think.

Re: REGGAE LIKE IT USED TO BE

VintageVideos
Only an accompanying routine will be able to challenge TVC15 (and yes P4PM I know which one you're thinking of right now!).
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red