REUNITED [May]

REUNITED  Dance/performance number 163 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Peaches & Herb   reaching number 4 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  03/05/79  Duration of dance/performance 3.01 mins
Dancers - Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Pauline 146
Sue      146
Rosie    143
Patti     142
Gill       139
Lulu      138
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x24mogb_legs-co-reunited-totp-tx-03-05-1979_creation

         ***  THIS WILL NOT BE SHOWN ON BBC4  ***
One of those uneventful routines and its a struggle to find any talking points about it. For me the song is tedious and it must have been difficult for FC to think up a routine. The pedestrian, almost plodding pace of the dance does however match the song. The dry ice, whilst necessary to give the dreamy effect does nothing to enhance my enjoyment of this. I also like a routine to have some close-ups, this hardly has any. Okay, its clear this has never been one of my favs from this year, but once again the dancers perform well and cant be blamed for my disgruntled view of this one. Maybe you guys see it differently. Even DOTD is not clear cut for me. No dancer stands out and frankly im struggling to pick one. In the end i went for 'Pauline', her smiles at least warmed this one up, a bit.

Rating, yikes don't beat me up guys, im only at '5.75 out of 10'. Ive always found it a bit of a chore to watch

Re: REUNITED [May]

PattiforPM
Well I think I like this one better than you do Ryan but it's not near the top of my hit parade either.  I do like the silver body-suits and the ladies strike some lovely poses but the song is a little dreary and the dry ice seems excessive.  Also I can't quite escape the thought that they're dancing in front of an ancient viaduct for some reason I can't fathom.  I do like Pauline's solo here and her graceful closing hand and arm gesture is almost iconic in its beauty and is the best moment of this performance for me by far.  I'm awarding 6.5/10  as I do find this watchable but it does have flaws.  Pauline easily earns my DotD and I think I'll blame Herb for the music as I can't bring myself to blame anyone called Peaches.

Re: REUNITED [May]

Suefan
This is one of those Legs dances that seems to slip a little under the radar but I like the rather languid moves and the relaxed, dry ice enhanced, ambiance.  The costumes are nice and the performances even nicer so I'm giving this a solid 8 with Pauline just pipping Gill as my Dotd.

Re: REUNITED [May]

JEZ
I like this dance and the song ,im giving it an 8

Re: REUNITED [May]

The dry ice is used to great effect here, creating almost a heavenly, soothing aura, in keeping with the slow, soulful balladic soundtrack, it's one of those dance routines, where everybody gets to shine equally, through their solo dances, the costumes were okay, but whites would've looked better, & the ladies were great dancing in those high-heels, it looked treacherous, not being able to see the ground, because of all that dry ice.

7/10

DotD:-

Pauline

Re: REUNITED [May]

Gorgeous Daze
Banana Splits before Peaches and Herb Reunited. Herb must have fancied a taste of forbidden fruit.

This record clearly pressed the right buttons with the ladies to reach Number 4 in the charts. Left to blokes it would've sold like The Guardian at a UKIP conference. Peaches and Herb indeed. We find our ladies dancing on what resembles the steaming baking tray of an evaporated pudding. The sheer gowns may heighten the mood of floating on the wings of love, but not for the first time just leotards would have looked better. And with a song this dreary I see gunmetal grey more than metallic. At the rise of the day Pauline gets things off to a good start in the circumstances with a nice solo and her characteristic lovely smile. It demonstrates that this would have been all the better for more close ups. The dry ice is excessive. The billows at the point when Patti leads out the line make me itch to reach for an extinguisher. Too much slowing of the film too. Utilized with twirling it's OK, but the slow motion high-kicks don't work for me. There's nothing really memorable about the dancing; it's kind of graceful and romantic by numbers. The best I can say for it is it's right for the song.

DOTD the beautiful Pauline.  Suitably dull. Sorry ladies.  4.5/10

Re: REUNITED [May]

Old Bill
"sold like The Guardian at a UKIP conference" hehehe! :-)

Just pleasant enough a song for it not to be dreary, Peaches's voice is lovely though. But having been so chuffed at their reuniting you'd have thought that they might be a bit more up bit.

But the dance. It's all rather nice really - slow and fairly uneventful but that's all down to the song. The set to me looks like a BBC scenery vision of a cheap-drama heaven, so instead of a steaming baked pudding GD perhaps it's Ambrosia they're dancing on!

The moves and tune go together well. I like the way that they're split up in to twos, threes and fours ... splitting and then reuniting - see what Flick's doing there! Sort of maybe.

Also GD - I don't think the film is slowed at all, it's jut they're dancing slowly. Which isn't easy!

Bit of slow grower this one. 7.5/10 and Pauline for DotD. The farewell hand sealed it!

Anyone hear some echo on Jim'lls intro? Did it tx like that I wonder, the music is fine...
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: REUNITED [May]

Gorgeous Daze
'Ambrosia'!

Hmm. It could be my connection that's slowing down. I did also hear the ghostly echo of Sir Jimmy though.

Re: REUNITED [May]

PaulF
This routine is not too bad, all girls present and a fine job done to a slow melody.

7.5/10

DOTD Once again Pauline is looking mighty fine.
Paul

Re: REUNITED [May]

VintageVideos
I am definitely not a lady but nevertheless I have a weakness for strong romantic ballads. "Reunited" is a song that I've always liked, even back in 79 when I was an 18 year old hormone driven adolescent. Somehow it pushes all the buttons for me, it's melodic, dreamy, well performed, positive... what more could you want?
And the same goes for the dance: a dreamy and superbly executed routine with some lovely moves and gestures, and one that - finally! - has a proper ending. I can't really fault anything here, even the dry ice just adds to the dreamy atmosphere. No doubt one of my favourites for 1979 so far. Too bad it wasn't shown on BBC4.

9.5 / 10

DotD: Pauline

If I only had one love yours would be the one I'd choose

Re: REUNITED [May]

Gorgeous Daze
What could that be a response to?

Re: REUNITED [May]

PattiforPM
Probably all those poor marks before the German Cavalry arrived to save the day

Re: REUNITED [May]

Colm
Gentle as a breeze. I love the Pauline/Gill and Patti/Rosie combos.

DotD: Pauline - please let her a clean sweep at last... (fingers crossed)

Score: 8

Re: REUNITED [May]

A pleasant enough dance but nothing too exciting.Good use of the wind machine but rather too much dry-ice in places;it must have been murder to dance on.8/10
DotD:Pauline

Re: REUNITED [May]

Andeebee
Nice dreamy piece full of swirling dry ice clouds and the background again going from night to day..........cheesy number from Peaches & Herb, not a great track, but danced effectively with little trouble by 6 silver legged angels......

DOTD: Pauline nips this completely

Score: well it's not top marks and not perfect, but watching it a few times I give this a heavenly 9/10

Re: REUNITED [May]

AC/PD
Although not to the taste of all, this Peaches & Herb love song receives the ideal matching routine as an accompaniment.
Soft, delicate kicks, costumes which flow without impeding the moves and just the right amount of atmospheric dry ice : much more moderate than the Nuclear Reactor Meltdown 'ambiance' of Rock 'n' Me from the early days.
It may well be Legs & Co. themselves who create the steaminess through their own frisson for this particular style of dance which always seems to bring out the delicacy of, and within, double-P.
8/10
DOTD: Pauline

Re: REUNITED [May]

Mikey
I think this is rather lovely. The above the clouds look with the short dance pieces combine well and those tight silver outfits are great, if slightly obscured by the outer material. The slow pace allows all the dancers enough 'strike a pose' moments, but its Pauline that leads the pack with her solo spot and is an easy dancer of the day choice. 7.5/10.

Re: REUNITED [May]

Adorable Gillusion
4/10   DOTD...Gill

Re: REUNITED [May]

Gorgeous Daze
Glad you've finally shown up to elevate me to one above the harshest on this one AG! I knew I could depend on you eventually.  Although that's Pauline's first clean sweep gone.

Re: REUNITED [May]

Adorable Gillusion
You're welcome GD
And sorry Pauline