RING MY BELL at Xmas [December]

RING MY BELL at Xmas     Dance/performance number 193 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Anita Ward
and reaching number 1 in the UK charts for 2 weeks in total on 16th June 1979
Original broadcast date  25/12/79  Duration of dance/performance 2.16 mins

  **The version in June was 24 seconds longer by the way**
Dancers--Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Sue      175
Pauline 174
Rosie    171
Patti     170
Gill       168
Lulu      166
A link to the dance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN8lYfCQAPA

Legs & Co perform a second helping of the ultimate one hit wonder `Ring My Bell but this time without the hindrance of being asked to do so in the style of Morris dancing. Its not to often i find Christmas re-makes superior to the one done previously, but i have no complaints here. We find our gals on a smokey rooftop, dancing on top of chimney pots which helpfully are flattened off. Also rather conveniently the snow didn't seem to settle on the chimney stacks either !

Flick has dressed the gals in flesh coloured leotards, with sparkly stars and what looks like furry stoat like creatures covered their vital areas. I know some of you dont like our dancers constrained by being rooted to the spot on columns, but i've never minded it. Each of the dancers gets decent coverage here and its easy for the cameraman to pick out nice shots of the dancers (even if i did struggle to get a good capture of Patti){EDIT--i didn't look hard enough, i've now added one in next post}. Lulu provides us with some nice side face shots (i'm sure you guys noticed), the long legged Rosie's done something to her hair which makes her look younger. The revitalized Pauline looks splendid with her trademark smile. This Anita ward song itself weirdly sounds better the more times i play it, though i concede if i wasn't staring at our lovelies on-screen id soon get fed up of it. Also i reckon Powell's intro was slightly bodged, as he was clearly going to say more, like announcing Legs & Co, but the start of the song curtailed that.

DOTD. This is one of those routines were i reckon all six may get a vote. In considering this, i've now made about 4 decisions, but in the end i've gone for the centrally positioned `Sue` on the highest chimney. The way she twizzles that furry thing around, pheww.

Rating--I'm going to `A.Ward` this `9 out of 10`

Re: RING MY BELL at Xmas [December] **SPOILER ALERT**

Omitted a clear image of Patti from my collages above, so here is one. Well best i can find.

Re: RING MY BELL at Xmas [December] **SPOILER ALERT**

Rickh69
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: RING MY BELL at Xmas [December] **SPOILER ALERT**

PaulF
Not much to fault here very enjoyable 9/10

DOTD very difficult to pick but Lulu's cheekiness just sold it to me from the beginning.
Paul

Re: RING MY BELL at Xmas [December] **SPOILER ALERT**

A smashing Xmas routine, every bit as good as the excellent Morris dancing bell ringers even though the girls are each confined to their own chimney pot, and without hesitation this gets a 10 from me.  The girls are so hot all the snow has melted from the top of the chimneys but none are hotter than 'top pot' Sue who is my Dotd.

Re: RING MY BELL at Xmas [December] **SPOILER ALERT**

A sensual song and the ladies manage to make a winter rooftop pretty darn steamy.  Excellent use of the minimalist costumes with heels and overtly imitation furs.  They remind me of a group of deliciously liberated domestic workers who've climbed onto the rooftops still grasping their dusters.  What the heck am I talking about now?  Let's get on with the mark and difficult DotD.  I'm giving 9.5/10 and honestly if the camera had lingered on Patti a few more milliseconds at the beginning I would have given 10.  DotD is very even as mentioned but in the end I have to give an edge to the utterly stunning Sue on the symbolic highest plinth in the whole City.

Re: RING MY BELL at Xmas [December] **SPOILER ALERT**

Colm
It's hard to call who's most smokin' here... on the basis of who attracts the camera most, I'll give DotD to Sue here.

The only duff point of this routine is the amount of occasions the cameras miss the girl's movement, and we just see blank space or bits of fur.

Score: 8.5

Re: RING MY BELL at Xmas [December] **SPOILER ALERT**

It looks like Legs & Co. are on all-night duty as Santa's helpers, but how the heck they're managing to revel in freezing cold temperatures with all of that bare flesh exposed, God ony knows, & notice how the chimney pots are blocked up, so they'll be nobody getting stuck down these chimneys, maybe all of these homes just have electric fires?
This newer version of the Ring My Bell dance routine for me, is rather more enjoyable, & I'm glad that Flick didn't go down the more literal route on this occasion.

9/10

DotD:-

Lulu

Re: RING MY BELL at Xmas [December] **SPOILER ALERT**

We have the ladies moving again to " Ring My Bell ", for the second time. Out of the two version this is the best. Our ladies are on plinth that look like chimmney pots. And are wearing nude coloured leotards with gold and silver decorationon it. And a fur coloured fringe that made it look like they had a busall, with small bells on the end. Our ladies are holding fur material in they hand like hankies. And doing hand movement to the song. All round another great fun routine. By all our beautiful ladies.

The Dotd must like Ryan said go to Sue.

Score must be 9 out of 10.

Re: RING MY BELL at Xmas [December] **SPOILER ALERT**

Like all the other routines when they are stuck on pillars the dancers are necessarily very restricted in what they can do,that is part of the reason i prefer the summer version.Having said that,i still think this is an enjoyable routine.8/10
DotD:Rosie

Re: RING MY BELL at Xmas [December] **SPOILER ALERT**

Andy
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: RING MY BELL at Xmas [December] **SPOILER ALERT**

Andeebee
Purrrrrfect version of the classic disco number, miles better than the previous routine.  What a Christmas cracker of 6 crackers on BBC chimney pots......the jingly tails make me smile everytime.....

Score: 10/10

Christmas cracker: Sue

Re: RING MY BELL at Xmas [December] **SPOILER ALERT**

VintageVideos
Very good routine, no doubt, but I find the furry shaking a bit too repetitive after a while. Besides I just cannot stand the song (never could).

8 / 10

DotD: Pauline
If I only had one love yours would be the one I'd choose

Re: RING MY BELL at Xmas [December] **SPOILER ALERT**

Gorgeous Daze
Legs & Co have escaped the cold for a short tropical break in search of fabled fluffies. Shed tails were collected as trophies, with attached (sleigh) bells clearly to be heard shaking away as they bring the native dance home to the rooftops on Christmas Eve. Was it all a dream or will someone find a fallen appendage in the morning?

Like P4PM on this enchanted night I see said adornments doubling-up as dusters, perhaps a tongue in cheek nod at the domesticity of the song. In common with another of Santa's dads' specials, December 63, it's beholding the girls and their warm demeanour that's key to this ones popularity, not the throwaway choreography. The lovely close-ups for each girl provides a very promising start, and though it doesn't quite deliver on that quite as I hoped there's no arguing it's a festive goodie. I like the squats, I always do. A clean sweep was never going to emerge from those chimneys, this is one of the toughest DOTDs to call of the year. If I could only invite one in out the cold for a glass of ginger wine it would be Patti, Lulu's cheekiness almost swayed me  but Sue and a good amount of camera attention are often unbeatable and she just gets the last award of the decade.

Re: RING MY BELL at Xmas [December] **SPOILER ALERT**

Young Mister Grace
Administrator
Is there something I'm not getting here? All those furry pelts with little sleigh bells on the end: are they a commonly used object it some winter activity I don't know about. I guess they're there to refer to the "Bell" in the song title, but I still don't know what they are.

Anyway, a fun performance. The blocked-up chimney podiums are a fun touch, I guess the dry-ice clouds are supposed to suggest smoke, but they suggest the steam bath and sauna to me.

Hard to choose a DotD, since they're al doing so well: I reckon Lulu has the edge.

10/10
You've all done vey well!

Re: RING MY BELL at Xmas [December] **SPOILER ALERT**

Old Grey Whistler
I think this was possibly the best Christmas dance that Legs & Co had done up to this point, and I certainly prefer it to the Morris Dancer version.  The set looks good although I suppose the dancers are a little restricted perched on top of the chimney pots.  It is well lit and we see lots of lovely smiles from the girls. Patti could maybe have done with a little more camera time.
This hopefully jolted a few people out of their post turkey slumber, but I don't think we are quite in maximum territory so it gets 9.5 out of 10. Sue stands out the most in my view and so gets DOTD.

Re: RING MY BELL at Xmas [December] **SPOILER ALERT**

AC/PD
Jingle bell joy throughout, up on the chimney tops. As crisp and fresh as newly fallen snow, kept warm by the heat they naturally generally. On the spot dance moves  on plinths very similar to those stood upon for the Three Times A Lady of 12 months previously. Picking a DOTD is rather difficult due to the capabilities of all six in this particular routine.
8/10
DOTD: Rosie

Re: RING MY BELL at Xmas [December] **SPOILER ALERT**

Adorable Gillusion
8/10   DOTD...Rosie
Stu

Re: RING MY BELL at Xmas [December] **SPOILER ALERT**

Stu
Find the song annoying, and the only time I'd listen to it again, and again, and again.... is when I watch this. :-)

8/10

DOTD  Rosie

Stuey

Re: RING MY BELL at Xmas [December] **SPOILER ALERT**

Mikey
Ding dong ding....aaaahhhh!, yes squeaky voiced Anita Wards saucy summer hit is back for more Legs and Co dancing, and with furry duster shaking aplenty. I dont have a big issue with the previous version, but this is better, its well co-ordinated and what sprung to mind was the Ruby Flipper dance to 'This Is It' over three years earlier. The chimneys acting as podiums gives it that festive touch, and some nice people in wardrobe have found some nude coloured leotards, thanks!

8/10
DOTD Rosie