RIVER DEEP MOUNTAIN HIGH -- 01/07/1971

Re: RIVER DEEP MOUNTAIN HIGH -- 1971

PansLegs
Several times during the first couple of years when Flick was still dancing, we had five dancers as opposed to the full compliment of six and almost always the alternating personnel were Andrea and Flick. We can understand why Flick felt it was easier to choreograph and then direct the rest of the troupe and although there were still many more examples of the full line-up still to come, I wonder if this was a last minute substitution on Flick's part due to some obvious uncertainty at times. The still image at the start of the performance looks like it could be Andrea herself!

They look quite hippie-ish in their shawls, but I'm not too keen on the dark orange lighting and that coupled with the muted colours of the outfits creates a blandness to the visuals. I'm surprised Flick didn't take centre stage in her light tanned shawl in order to balance things up with everyone else in darker colours, possibly it was because she was less rehearsed.

There's some nice dance moves with a lot of arm and hand movement - poor Ruth makes an uncharacteristic error in timing, ending one of the moves too early and almost saying "oops" to herself.  Judging by some shots where the studio wall clock can be seen in the background, it appears the performance was recorded at about a quarter past eight in the evening.

6/10, with Dotd Louise.

Re: RIVER DEEP MOUNTAIN HIGH -- 1971

Old Grey Whistler
I was expecting to like this a bit more than I do. The song is good although I much prefer the Ike & Tina Turner version. Although the dancing is good there is nothing that makes it very memorable and I don't particularly like their costumes either which look a bit restricting. It is all just a bit too orange also.
Despite all those negative thoughts, the dance still has some appeal but there are many other 'Pans' performances that I prefer, so I will score it 7.5 out of 10 with Louise as DOTD.

Re: RIVER DEEP MOUNTAIN HIGH -- 1971

SuPaLu
This is probably my favourite of what we have from 1971 and is in the top 10 of best Pan's People dances ever.This to me is real dancing.The inate raunciness of the music is pouring through all of the dancers here.Just once the BBC should show this instead of 'Get Down' and then people will get a better idea of what these dancers could do.100/100
DotD:All of them,oh go on then - Flick.

Re: RIVER DEEP MOUNTAIN HIGH -- 1971

PattiforPM
It seems I have misjudged this Dance and on further consideration I would like to change my "stingy" rating of 5/10 to a much more healthy 8/10 if the Host allows.  I am not sure why I goofed but now I see some lovely vintage Go-Go moves and the facial expressions are great too and the clothing suddenly seems more appropriate.  Reading SuPaLu's preceding comment I think he's much closer to the truth than I was previously.  Oh well, sorry ladies!

Re: RIVER DEEP MOUNTAIN HIGH -- 1971

VintageVideos
PattiForPM wrote
if the Host allows
Of course he does

Re: RIVER DEEP MOUNTAIN HIGH -- 1971

mojo2007
The  greatest  Ike and Tina version is in the film Soul to Soul as Tina rips into it before an African audience.  Makes Pans look very lady like .  Why is the so much garbage on TV when films like Soul to Soul get few airings, even in its edited form. ( Roberta Flack is cut from some transmissions. )   I agree that Nutbush gets closer to the music than this item.

Re: RIVER DEEP MOUNTAIN HIGH -- 1971

mojo2007
I forgot to give a score, old age again. I feel about 8 is appropriate and Flick repeatedly catches my eye

Re: RIVER DEEP MOUNTAIN HIGH -- 01/07/1971

I will get round to watching this one day,
Edit: That day is today! Comments coming this evening.

Re: RIVER DEEP MOUNTAIN HIGH -- 01/07/1971

CoffeeThing
Like a few others here, I look at the earlier dances differently and score accordingly. The style is very late 60s  early 70s and often less complex than many of the later routines. For me it's a lovely insight into days when I really was too young to be watching. 7.25 and Flick fir me.

Re: RIVER DEEP MOUNTAIN HIGH -- 01/07/1971

VintageVideos
... and welcome to the Pan's People Comments Thread, CoffeeThing! It's great to notice that Ryan's 'campaign' of featuring a daily routine on the main page has encouraged a couple of members to join in the ratings of some of these classic routines!

Re: RIVER DEEP MOUNTAIN HIGH -- 01/07/1971

Dancer
This is such a beautiful version and one which I find is better than the original Phil Spector produced Ike & Tina Turner version.  The voices on here are tremendous and I am so pleased I was able to buy the boxed CD set.  The dance itself I was not too keen on at first but after watching it about three or four times it certainly grew on me.  Ruth's hair lacked volume here but the routine was quite good and the outfits looked quite discomforting.  I will award best dancer to Flick as she did seem to be enjoying herself and the dance itself I will award eight out of ten.

Re: RIVER DEEP MOUNTAIN HIGH -- 01/07/1971

Legsfan
I love this routine. It has one of the best Pan's People line-ups (I have to say that, so I don't upset Cherry/Sue fans!) but it was a shame Andrea isn't in this one, but appears in picture only at the beginning. I noticed some errors in the routine and Babs really looks like she is struggling to keep up and it looks like she improvises for a second when she makes a mistake. I'm glad this survived the wiping and wasn't taped over with Nationwide.
Rating: 10/10
DOTD: Louise

Re: RIVER DEEP MOUNTAIN HIGH -- 01/07/1971

   More Motown genius from the hand and mind of Flick. And all the five girls here looking stunningly beautiful. But then they, and the later members, ( nearly ) always do whatever the style of dance, clothing- fully clothed, as here, or not- and period. Everybody has their own idea of beauty and what would be their ideal for a partner or wife or husband. And surely one of the attractions of these dancers was that they were beautiful, but accessible. You could dream about them in a perfect reality without the reality being too far-fetched. ( I am planning to tell you my ideas of beauty, but am saving that for review of a routine that took place in 1976- I will reach there soon enough ). And perhaps this was why our dancers were so very popular in the Services and prisons, where people could dream about and idolise them. This popularity has been mentioned many times before, possibly because they were ordinary girls with a super ordinary talent to enchant.
   I enjoy this routine very much, it has much going for it, in my opinion. As it is always a pleasure for me when the Pan’s girls provide ample examples of hair tossing and body shaking, this dance is another winner in my book. This is a very Pansesque routine with the girls in lines or rows, moving up to allow the camera to linger for a moment on each member, or when they move across the stage, one coming forward or two or three in a group. Things I always enjoy when watching Pan’s dance. Although more static than some of the other routines from 1971 still available, this is still an excellent dance. There are plenty of the typical wondrous arm and leg gestures to be found here, and some lovely pelvic thrusts at about 00.44, and then from about 01.50 to 02.00 when first Flick and Babs, then Louise and Dee Dee come to the front to entrance in movement. A visual delight to be sure. It may seem that I laying lavish praise on all the routines, but it needs to be understood that this period of Pan’s is one that holds me firm in raptures like few others, and fulsome words are very much merited here.
   As can be surmised from the above this is another ‘hippy style’ performance which I like so very much, and is guaranteed to be a big plus in my heart and certain to garner praise and high marks from me. Why do I like that style so much? I cannot say for sure, and probably nothing less than deep analysis of my inner Psyche will reveal the answer, but I do. All the girls look attractive in their outfits here- again something that could be worn outside the studio, so outfit not costume. All in a hippyish style of various different pieces, different shades of floral dress-like covers, shawls and beads. And lots and lots of fringing. Fantastic!! In particular, Flick shimmers in a pale white haze with large shawl and beads throughout. But they all appeal to my inner 60s flower child watching this routine over again. Even the orange lighting adds to that at first, but is ultimately annoying. How I would like to see this better lit, or in a higher definition. But I am now in an unidentifiable time of cliched hippydom, and I do not wish to return- no never.
   We have five of Pan’s People on show here. It is a shame that Andi is missing because one feels the style and rhythm would have suited her admirably. But all the others enthral in this very sumptuous routine. Ruth starts of being prominent but rather gets lost after the first minute as the camera does not give her too much attention after that, but the four remaining Pan’s remain in the foreground for the remainder of the routine. Which aspects attract me in this dance? Louise’s delicious smile about 00.16, Ruth’s cute pout and appearance from about 00.23 to 00.31, and the whole of Louise’s part leading up to 01.22. In fact, as is often reported about a football match being a game of two halves, this to me is very much a routine of the same. Louise stars with a vibrancy in the first part, as stated, but from about 01.25 another takes centre stage in my eyes. Dee Dee steps forward with an exemplary display of all that I enjoy from a Pan’s People performance. Her hair and body shaking are wonderful about 01.40 and when at 01.45 she turns to the front and shimmies side to side then forward and back, I am transported to some supreme Pan’s People hippy Heaven. And from then on in it is impossible for me to keep my eyes away from her immaculate performance, especially around 02.00 with Louise in tandem at the front, more body shimmies of the highest class. Simply effortless and perfect shaking! These are some great moves by Dee Dee. She outshines everyone else in this, I feel, with Louise running her oh so close. And I have not even mentioned Babs here, rocking the Poncho look. If the others were not so good, she would still be starring in her own right. Nevertheless, her time to come forward will arrive ere long.
  DOTD- Dee Dee for me. Hair tossing and body shaking to perfection and makes this old boy very happy indeed. A mistress of her craft. Then as now.
  The routine 9.5/10  Very, very good and most appealing to re-watch repeatedly. Only the poor lighting and orange glow detracts. Transports me to 1971 every time.
     The marks for each dance now;-
             Andi- 5, Dee Dee- 4, Flick- 4, Louise- 4, Ruth- 4, Babs- 2.
12