ROCK`N`ME -- [November]

ROCK`N`ME -- TOTPs dance Number 3 by Legs & Co.
Performed by The Steve Miller Band and reaching No 11 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 04/11/76 -- Duration of dance on the blog 2.40 mins
Dancers -- Gill,Lulu,Patti,Pauline,Rosie,Sue.
Link to the dance -- http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x25kjf7_top-of-the-pops-dancers-rock-n-me-totp-tx-04-11-1976_creation

A routine that gets quite a lot of mild criticism for the dry ice overload. But its obviously intentional and the way the girls emerge from it is just all part of the dance. There is a particularly nice scene in this with the three Ruby Flipper girls and ive used it in my screen cap. I also like to look out for Lulu in full lipsnycing mode during her little solo spot half way through this one. All six girls are decked out in differing cute little costumes and its hard to pick a favourite. This song here is perfect for Legs to dance to, or should i still be referring to them as anonymous like Mr Edmonds does at the end. On my watchable ratings i will award this routine a 7.5 out of 10.

Re: ROCK`N`ME

Best routine so far with a good tune, some great costumes and some nifty moves.  All the girls look fabulous and when Sue emerges from the mist all 'come hitherish' up on that podium then I'm rocked.

Re: ROCK`N`ME

bucksby
Very good solid routine no fancy stuff. some great facial expressions from Patti.

Re: ROCK`N`ME

Lookmacinanger
The girls start to make their mark, what a great look and dance to Steve Miller's 'Rock 'N' Me'. I know the dry ice was a new toy around this time and they have appeared to have overdone it slightly, but I think overall it adds to the routine. The interpretation was a perfect fit to the west coast sound of 'Steve Miller' so popular around this time. 9/10

Re: ROCK`N`ME

This is quite amusing really with the crazy hip-thrusts, & the smoke machine seems to have gone into over-drive, but at least the girls are are obviously having fun, judging by their smiling faces!

Re: ROCK`N`ME

Yes i used to hate the dry ice in this one, but the more i view it, the more its an integeral part of this routine. I reckon Flick got this one just about right, but there will be plenty of routines coming up were i will be slightly critical of some of her decisions/choices over scenery/props etc, so dont shoot me if you dont agree.

Re: ROCK`N`ME

bucksby
an 8 from me too then

Re: ROCK`N`ME

PattiForPM
Now THIS is the Biz.  I know the dry ice is troubling but those girls just rock to this and I loved this song and the whole Fly Like an Eagle album back in the day.  Patti just turns on the sex appeal in this one and I have more screenshots from this one than just about any other routine.  For me this is where Legs caught fire and all those differing outfits made it all the more interesting.  Hell Gill even says Hi to us all and forgive me for hardly being able to wait for Northern California at the end.  10, yes I said 10, you heard me.

Re: ROCK`N`ME

I love this one too.Great dancing,and costumes.The dry ice gives the routine an atmosphere.I like watching Gill just dancing away,when on noticing the camera she becomes all animated.Quite a learning curve for them to remember,whilst dancing, to look at the monitor and smile.Flick herself said she found that hard.9/10
Glenn
Stu

Re: ROCK`N`ME

Stu
Like the costumes, like the song, like the routine although not overly complicated. I'm no expert on dance, so as Ryan said on another thread, I think it's best to score them on how much overall enjoyment they give you.

7.5/10

Stuey

Re: ROCK`N`ME

Old Bill
Good grief Miss Hammond!! What are you trying to do to me?! Never mind the tons of dry ice on set - after Patti making eyes at me like this I need a ton of real ice tipped over me!!! Blimey.

Anyways, top stuff! I love this. The song, the moves, the outfits, the wonderful wonderful facial expressions - even Pauline gives us a look.  Every one is spot on. And I like the way that although together as a troupe they at some points are doing their own thing. Wild rock chicks!

This would be a perfect 10, except for 2 things.
Firstly there is too much dry ice - I'd actually quite like to see more of what the feet are doing. Especially in the first half, poor old Lulu nearly disappears altogether! And then at around 2mins and stupid cameraman decides to skim over the top of her and just film the bloody smoke!
And secondly the ending is a bit of an anti-climax - they all seem to be back in the dressing room with another 7 or 8 seconds of the song to go.

So one point is deducted, leaving a it with a 9/10 for our anonymous all lady dance troupe.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: ROCK`N`ME

Andeebee
9 for me

Re: ROCK`N`ME

What a great track that is! You just can't go wrong with a classic like that (well sometimes you can, see 'I Wish'). All the girls perform well in this routine, I just wish they'd stopped that dry ice effect. Still 8.5/10

Re: ROCK`N`ME

Who's That Hurll
Some people have suggested 'Maid in Heaven' was the time the new troupe really put itself on the map.  I disagree;'Rock N Me' was that  momentous occasion. I love the smoky atmosphere, that makes one think of Monster Mash, but their are no horrors lurking here; just six colourful girls giving us a funky routine, where the camera work is impeccable in it's allocation of the spotlight. Ilike it when the camera pans over Lulu as she is engulfed in mist and also the send off, with Patti being left to fight the fire on her own. I think Pauline's outfit suits her nicely and she's DOTD. 9.25/10.

Re: ROCK`N`ME

Doc
I feel that there was a bit too much dry ice and the camera angles used didn't really work well with the dance. The girls do a good job dancing which compensates for the set problems. Has anyone noticed how Gill used to almost overdo the playing to the camera in the early days. A reasonable 8.

Re: ROCK`N`ME

PaulF
Love this one, girls working well together and I like the faces they pull. I was going to give it an 8 because of maybe a bit too much dry ice, then Sue arose from within the mist and mounted the platform for a nice little solo which pushes it up to a 9.
Paul

Re: ROCK`N`ME

They must have had a surplus on the special effects budget or maybe the dry ice was approaching its use by date!
Either way, I think there is a little too much of it, although it does give the routine its own identity and Flick was always looking for ways to do things differently.  I quite like the song as well so I will give this an 8.5  out of 10.

Re: ROCK`N`ME

Super dance routine for so early in their tenure this is worthy of top marks.  A 10 with Sue as my Dotd.

Re: ROCK`N`ME

Colm
This is a good routine to see how Pauline and Gill's confidence is starting to grow - when Gill turns on the smile to the camera, it's a moment to behold. Lulu looks so grown up compared to her recent Flipping, and the moves really match the music. Cool.

Score: 9

Re: ROCK`N`ME

JEZ
i really like this routine,i like the set ,the bit where the girls all pass the camera one by one ,the arm movements and the song ,8,5 for me