RUBBERBAND MAN

Rubberband Man was written by Thom Bell and Linda Creed and sung by the Spinners (Detroit prefix added in the UK to avoid folk-soul confusion).  Thom reportedly wrote the song for his son, who was being ribbed in school for being overweight but the lyrics seem to largely skirt this issue.  Backing instrumentals were by MFSB.  It hit #2 in the Billboard Hot 100 and featured Phillipe Wynne on vocals.  The Spinners were a very long lived band with chart success only in the 70s and 1980 really and might have been chauffeurs and chaperones for the 60s Motown Stars for all we (or I) know.  The song was covered quite passably by Lynda Carter (yes, Wonder Woman) on the Muppets here (at about 7:35 to 9:35); https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raDEGOuNFjQ (6:30 onward)  and later by the great Youssou N’Dour.

              RUBBERBAND MAN    -    Detroit Spinners                                  Oct 7th 1976

                                  DANCERS:      Floid, Lulu, Patti, Phil, Sue

   LINK:   http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x265r38_ruby-flipper-the-rubberband-man-totp-tx-07-10-1976_creation

 This Dance is performed at quite a frenetic pace for the most part and the ladies are wearing lovely multi-coloured self-knitted Winter sweaters and matching leg-warmers but tragically there was not enough time for the skirts to be finished.  The boys seem to be on their way to watch Rugby and Horse Racing meanwhile but look quite natty in their own way.  The close ups are quite wonderful here and all three ladies have great moments.  I also really like the full on “Karaoke for the Deaf” section at 1:45 but my favourite bit is Patti and Floid in their little clinch (all right I admit it’s Patti I’m watching).  I’m interested in the bright red background pattern when the group is on their platforms with the oscilloscope readings behind them;  does anyone know what it represents?  It looks maddeningly familiar to me but our household was unable to find the answer.  Anyway all three ladies could be champion but it’s Patti front, centre and really into the groove who gets my DotD here.  As for a score, this is one of my absolute faves and easily gets 10/10 from me as a bright colourful and thoroughly galvanizing spectacle.  Now I wonder what the rest of you will think and whether a certain host will try to get an 11/10 past the judges…..

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

Paperboyplod
The most obvious feature of this routine, is the dress-code, rubber bands, come in the same colours, & from afar, it looks like everybody's wearing gigantic waist-size elastic bands, as the whole group dances frantically atop of their individual podia, although some of the special effects going on behind them, looked a bit to garish for my liking, but I've quickly gotten over that, also that's a nice pleasant touch, having Lulu open the routine with one of her trademark beaming smiles, she, like the other dancers, was so obviously enjoying partaking in this routine.

9/10

DotD:-

Lulu

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

A bit like the choice in the Pans People section for this week, we have another routine that i'm struggling to find fault with, yet don't feel i can award it the maximum ten. Our host has covered a lot of what id like to say about this, and i also think the close-up shots of the dancers are wonderful. There are not many routines were they are seen at such close proximity, `Chanson D'amour` being a good example.

I always think there must be a tinge of sadness during this though, as by now the remaining five members of the dance troupe would know their fates regarding Totps. I quite like this set-up, 3 girls and 2 boys and ive often wondered if this combination was adopted by Flick at the beginning if this would have appeased the masses/BBC big wigs etc.

Any how, id like to award this `9.5 out of 10`

DOTD is truly difficult. Its gotta be `Sue` though, even if her hand signals at the end look a tad rude.

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

Short shorts, long socks what else does a growing boy need. Yes three lovely girls and two chaps (thankfully almost lost within a sea of long limbs). All three girls look appealing, young Lulu and Patti give it their everything, whilst Sue steals the show.

The highlight of this is the lovely lovely ladies against the TOTP-O-Tron background, the song is catchy, the whole thing is wonderful to behold.  If I could vote this 11 I would, but will give it 10/10 (first of a few from me)

DOTD: has to be the truly sexy Sue, I can't resist her in shorts and long socks......yummy

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

Colm
This is now my favourite RF routine, and what a lot to love here. The bits I love most:

0:00 - a tease of an opening shot from Lulu

0:18 - the first of those flawless fast and frantic sequences

0:28 - an ace zoom into the lovely Sue, crowned by a sweet smile

0:45 - Lulu and Sue could chat all day in that pose

1:14 - perhaps the cutest of Lulu's "Cutie Pie" moments

1:20 - a classic Hammond pout

Everyone gives this 110%, and to me, they deliver 1100% of entertainment.

DotD: Sue (with Lulu hot on the heels)

Score: A deserved 10!

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

PaulF
Seems to have everything, lovely close up shots, cutie pie moments, sexy smiles and the famous pout, and the girls were not too bad either.

Can't find fault so 10/10
DOTD Sue.
Paul

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

Well i gave the Pans People comment a bump last evening and it seemed to yield a few more comments, so i will also give this a bump. Come on chaps, this fine dance needs your comments and ratings.

Pans People & Legs & Co fans, this means you.

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

The Rubberband Man is one the best Ruby Flipper routines. The routine is interesting one. The five dancers are in front of a cso screen On round pilthes in triangle shape. The three ladies are wearing knitted multicoloured long jumpers that went down to there bottoms. they were also wearing long multicoloured leg warmers. Phil is wearing all red with a green jacket. Floyd is wearing a multicoloured tee shirt and white trousers. And both men wearing baseball caps. The dance routine is very frantic and as a usual Fick Coby trick. Where the dancers mime to the words of the song. There are some wonderful close up of the dancers in the routine. I did forget a wonderful moment, Patti did one of her great pouts. And another with a fantastic smile from Sue.

We now come to the Dotd and that will be Sue.

This is one of the best of the Ruby Flipper routines, so the score will be 10 out of 10.

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

PattiForPM
Thanks for all your thoughts chaps.  Some really high marks here and we could see this great Dance challenge the very best.  Please keep your Comments flowing.  No-one telling me about the bright red backdrop yet either....

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

BeautifulBabs
tried playing in train carriage today but youtube police message said content holder wont let it play on a mobile....
not sure if that means adb or the detroit spinners are objecting

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

Paperboyplod
You could've tried downloading the Puffin browser app., if it's available on your device, unlike many other mobile web browsers, Adobe Flash technology is supported, I've had similar problems, especially with Andeebee's uploaded videos, (no offence mate!), using Safari on my iPad, & consequently, I've had to copy & paste the link URL, to my Puffin web browser, & play them over there.

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

BeautifulBabs
thansk pbp i'll try there does seem to be an iphone version

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

What a great record that is. The last of the classic Spinners hits, and one of their best. Unfortunately the UK never gave them the recognition they deserved.
And what a choice for this week's routine. An excellent example of how good Ruby Flipper actually were. From the opening shot of lovely Lulu we're treated with a colourful dance routine which presents us either one, two, three or all five dancers in different combinations during the verses while we can see all five in front of the red/green background (sorry can't help here) during the refrains. Lots of great close-ups and lots of fun as well. Yes I really love that one.
Yet I can't quite bring myself to award full marks here. Maybe it's that the routine is a tad too short and fades out too early for my liking. Or maybe there are just too many RF routines that I like even more. No this is not yet the mythical 11.

9.75 / 10
DotD: Sue

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

bucksby
Pretty good track this, I first discovered it in the mid 90s and I have always liked it. Good routine too, The background looks terrible but the girls and their "jumpers" look good. Patti in particular looks great in hers. I will give the routine 8 and Patti DOTD.

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

Well that background is in danger of giving me a headache !  The girls costumes have certain things going for them but overall I'm not a big fan of this rather lopsided look.  Some fine close-ups, but the song grates, and at times I find the routine a bit over fussy although very well done.  So no more than a 7 from me.

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

PattiForPM
Thanks friends.  Yes, that background is not relaxing but I do think it fits with the general "colour mayhem" of the piece.  Anyway I'd still like to know what the pattern represents (if anything).  Somehow it reminds me of an African relief or something.  Anyway thanks for the ten contributors so far and I will now put Rubberband Man in it's rightful place on the league table although I am still hoping for more sitting in judgement...

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

JEZ
even though i find the dance ok ,i must admitt that ive never minded the graphic background effects at all ,but now im a bit older i do find them a bit hard on the old eyes ,most of the dancing is done on one spot ,the clothes they are wearing are very much trendy for 1976 ,but i can only really award a 7 for this routine

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

Gorgeous Daze
I think the costumes are just one of those curious things we have to file under 'Hey, It's The Seventies'. Though the girls are appropriately dressed for the winter of Ruby Flipper, if it wasn't for the welcome omission of their skirts of course. I've found this one hard to rate and wondered if I was missing something when the early big scores were coming in, but now I'm not the only one who isn't full of praise. I do quite like it, but I've never seen it as crème de la crème material. For example, the sizeable sections in front of the special effects back-drop are little more than a Keep- Fit- To- Music class. The effects are just ok, and neither enhance nor detract from things for me. I can make out what looks like an African mask but whether that's intentional and another one to file with the costumes I don't know. And while the song isn't bad, I'm not a soul man and it has a neutral effect on my opinion of the routine. The abundance of close-ups is pleasing (I can't remember anyone ever complaining that a routine has too many!). For my highlights Ref Colm's list.

DOTD is difficult and I can't fault any of them. At length I just can't deny that sweet smiling face, so Lulu it is.

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

Thanks GD and Jez.  Obviously this performance is not everyone's favourite but remains a high scorer.  Maybe some others can lift (or at least clarify!) it's fortunes once more...

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

BeautifulBabs
Likes
Just love the girls costumes here and the rostrums with the red back ground
My idea of a well dressed flipper lineup both boys and girls
Song

Dislikes
Not much really maybe Phil's sexy look At the camera after that of each girl doesn't really come off

9 and dotd. Lulu