RUBBERBAND MAN

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

PattiForPM
Thanks BB, always good to see you on the Flipper Thread.  I too really like this song and will have to take a closer look at Phil, who normally behaves himself impeccably

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

PattiForPM
Only another couple of days to get your Comments in here before I start distracting you with another Ruby Flipper performance so my advice is to start posting if you haven't done this already (of course you can always do this later too but never put off today etc etc)

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

Doc
The background is the only real let down in this, the technology of the day wasn't really up to doing it well. A decent penultimate weeks dance 9/10.
Dotd, Lulu looks ultra cute in this one.

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

Lookmacinanger
Fast and frenetic was the order of the day and I’m pleased with the finished product. The track supplied by The Spinners or prefix that with Detroit when they were in Britain and I am sure they would have been delighted with how RF gave this their visual interpretation. Didn’t we almost get an I’m looking over a four leave clover moment, only briefly with those talking hands? Still not too worry a very fine effort 8/10. Dotd, Lulu

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

I'm guessing knitware is not the outfit of choice for most dancers, but here it creates a unique look which weirdly fits in with the blurry "can you guess what it is yet?" psychedelic splodge of a bankground. Oh and nice boots too, mmmm.

Yeah i really like this, the synchronicity of the movements in the wide shot is nigh on perfect, how the heck do they do this??. The other parts are done slightly tongue in cheek, such as the 'laughed so hard', and 'short fat guy' bits but heck why not.

The song is a tad unusual but its fun and funky and not one i was previously familiar with.

Overall its an ace 9.5/10 from me. DOTD Lulu

Hi PattiForPM, many thanks for the welcome, i think i'm starting on a few good-uns here, so will have to get my critical Simon Cowell esque persona on soon

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

PattiForPM
Thanks again Mikey.  Can't wait for you to review Love Me Like Lover Mr Cowell

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

Ha ha yes indeed, and of course what seems to be the king dud TVC15, probably the only routine i've watched and gone, hang on i could do that!...

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

Old Bill
What a wonderful technicolour bouncey rubbery delight!

I LOVE the costumes - the socks and boots and stripes... what a tip-top combo.
And the back ground works for me too, very 8-bit but nowt wrong with that.
In fact the shot of the 5 of on podia, bopping up and down, arms in the hair is one of my favourite images of RF - perhaps all of Flick's routine.

Sue is a marvel as ever and Lulu is at her cutesy best. Phil's close up straight after the girls is hilarious tho!

10/10 and Lulu.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

So bright and colourful.I like most of the dancing especially the chorus and the close-ups.It's so cheerful it's hard not to like,but it's not one of my favourites.
8/10
DotD:Phil

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

PattiForPM
Thanks SuPaLu and belatedly OB for your comments.  Rubberband Man continues to be one of the most popular Flipper performances and rightly so IMHO

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

The Muppets are a gonner P4PM.

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

Amen to that

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

PattiForPM
Yes sorry about that Mikey, I blame the Cookie Monster

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

A fantastic dance routine from Ruby Flipper to the brilliant "Rubberband Man" from The Detroit Spinners.
In fact, this routine and record are so good, I am named after them

The big problem with the routine though, is it starts with a super cute wide smile from Lulu while she makes a couple of moves from side to side, and you just turn to jelly.

However, the vibrant colours from the girls' knitwear, the special effects on the studio background, and the fast action moves of the dance keep your attention focused.
Patti takes centre stage and looks lovely, and her clinch with Floyd was probably quite controvesial in its day.
I also love the Sue / Lulu moment where they dance together.

The routine is over to soon though - really could have done with being a bit longer.

Great dance, great song, nice close ups, and you see the girls' pants. What else do you want ?

So 10/10 - absolutely flawless
DOTD Is Lulu for the impact she has with her smile at the start

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

PattiForPM
Great to see your comments on this Thread TRM and a hearty welcome from me.  Of course what better Dance on which to bestow your first review?  Anyway thanks again and I hope we see your name many more times on all these Threads in the future.  Oh, and don't worry about your Lulu-smitten state, I have survived a closely related ailment for some 39 years and can confidently state that there is no cure but life is enhanced nevertheless.

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

PansLegs
Good track and a highly colourful visual from RF to go with it.. anyone that still had a b&w set in 1976 was missing a lot! A lot of bouncing which works well with the rubber-band theme. DotD Lulu, 8/10

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

The Rubberband Man
Patti's jumper started a fashion trend. It turns up again in the 1976 Christmas Top Of The Pops being worn by Tina Charles.

I hope Tina gave it back to Patti.

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

VintageVideos
The Rubberband Man wrote
I hope Tina gave it back to Patti.
I doubt it would have fit her (anymore).

Seriously though, there it is, the long lost and desperately sought-after connection between Patti and Tina.
(Preparing for the rotten tomatoes now)
Vin

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

Good spot  maybe the Beeb had a job lot of em. I've not seen that Xmas 76 show before except the Legs bits, just skimmed through seems like a decent show, but why is Tina singing on the gantry in an empty studio. That Manorak archive is getting very impressive now, just needs some 1970.

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

VintageVideos wrote
I doubt it would have fit her (anymore).
Seriously though, there it is, the long lost and desperately sought-after connection between Patti and Tina.
(Preparing for the rotten tomatoes now)
Yes well spotted RBM; all sorts of banned comments are going through my mind.  Artist's impression of Vin: