RUBBERBAND MAN

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

Doc
Mikey wrote
That Manorak archive is getting very impressive now, just needs some 1970.
Thanks for pointing that out, plenty of shows that the BBC don't want you to see. Shame 23/04/81 is missing.

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

It's a little-known 'fact' that Patti and Tina Charles were good pals, fans and admirers of each other, huge influences, staunch supporters of each others work and talents, bedrocks, equals in taste and style,  'bestest' friends in the whole wide world etc.

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

BeautifulBabs
Pauline's Dimples wrote
It's a little-known 'fact' that Patti and Tina Charles were good pals, fans and admirers of each other, huge influences, staunch supporters of each others work and talents, bedrocks, equals in taste and style,  'bestest' friends in the whole wide world etc.
I'm afraid I don't believe you pd

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

AC/PD
Patti's got all Tina's records, BB.
The point at which the 'facts' fall through?

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

PattiForPM
I thought we were friends PD.  I've just reviewed the Tina Charles Xmas fashion show (for my sins) and can only say that I'm eternally grateful to Robin Nash for insisting that Ms Charles did not fully duplicate the Patti ensemble.  As to why she was up on a distant featureless gantry instead of the Studio Floor I leave that to all your imaginations but have my own theory of course......

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

Old Grey Whistler
It didn't happen often with Ruby Flipper but on this occasion, Floid seems to have the most understated of the costumes. I'm not all that keen on the song but the dance is lively and very watchable.  Judging by the number of times they swap podia, they must have done this in at least two takes, possibly more.
I would say this is good rather than great so I will score it 8.5 out of 10.
Lulu is in uber cute mode and gives some great screen cap moments, but it is Patti who makes full use of the front position and is my DOTD.

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

Dancer
I remember this televised in 1976 and I was in a complete trance watching the girls dance.  The guys did nothing for me at all.

I love the song and is a perfect dance song of the seventies.  It hovered in the lower teens for a while in the chart and I think if a 12" version had been released it would have gone higher.

On re-watching the dance several times and this is one of my favourite dances of Ruby Flipper it sort of grew on me.  The outfits on the girls were lovely.  I called into question Philip's outfit as he looked like he had been kitted out by C&A.  He seemed to have a good time but his trousers were the perfect shape and style alas this did not happen with Floyd.  His trousers were ill-fitting and looked like joggers/pyjama bottoms.  I remember the girls at school discussing Floyd's outfit quite openly in morning registration and mentioning what was happening as he was jumping up and down. You certainly did not get many of them to the pound.  I enjoyed the interpretation of the song as in the second verse they did this literally which was a bit of a let down but the graphics were good.

To score this dance I will give it 9.5 out of ten.  The best dancer is really difficult in this as they all played a part.  I will opt for Patti as she did move well and worked well with Floyd.

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

PattiForPM
Thanks so much for returning to the RF Comments Thread Dancer and for your highly unique perspectives

Re: RUBBERBAND MAN

AC/PD
Multi-Coloured Swap Shop first opened its doors on the Saturday previous to this dance (I phoned up but never got through...the closest I got was hearing the message "All the lines to the BBC Television phone-in are engaged. Please replace your receiver carefully..."). One wonders whether the title had a dazzling influence on Flick's chosen colour scheme for this one. Socks excepted, Phil doesn't exactly jump through hoops with regard to the colour code.
It's a good ensemble routine with Floid's the more fortunate of the males with regard to closeness camaraderie and although I think he veers slightly from the dance hymn-sheet during the verse when he's front-centre of the five, his overall performance is entertainingly amiable enough to warrant a DOTD vote.
Although the song itself grows in stature through repeated exposure, the routine expands less so, possibly lacking in net gains due to the podium scenes caused either by being a touch too static in either the dancing or camera direction departments.
As for the background, it does look like a tribal mask....or a predicted map of a geographically devastated planet Earth in too close an orbit to the sun.
8/10
DOTD: Floid
123