RUNNIN' AWAY -- 27/04/1972

Runnin' Away
Performed by Sly & The Family Stone and reaching number 17 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 27/04/1972 Duration of dance - 2.43 mins
Dancers: Andy, Babs, Dee Dee, Louise, Ruth
A link to the dance:
https://youtu.be/k_NiFiMS5D4

Sylvester Stewart, better known as Sly Stone, was born on March 15, 1943. In 1967 he founded his band Sly & The Family Stone, which contained several of his family members and friends. The same year, the group enjoyed their first smash hit, "Dance To The Music", peaking at #8 on the Billboard charts and #7 in the UK. In 1968 they went to No. 1 in the US with "Everyday People".

In November 1971, Sly & The Family Stone released what was their fifth studio album, "There's A Riot Going On". Originally intended to be issued as "Africa Talks to You", the record was retitled in response to Marvin Gaye's album "What's Going On", released five months before. After the success of "Family Affair" (their final US #1), the record company decided to lift "Runnin' Away" as the follow-up single from the album. Asked about the meaning of the song, Sly Stone replied, "In those days it was the hippies who cut their hair and ran away from the hippy feeling. It's about how, at a certain time, everybody runs away from something." The best remembered parts of the lyrics though are probably the lines "Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!" and "Hee! Hee! Hee! Hee!", not exactly standard lyrics of soul music, but no doubt adding to the uniqueness of the record. I always felt the song is a bit strange in arrangement and lyrical structure but it does have a certain charme and most definitely didn't sound like anything else that was on the charts.

In the week ending 29/04/1972, the 45 entered the UK Top 30 at No. 29, which typically meant it would be featured on TOTP that week, i.e. on 27/04/1972 which is exactly 43 years ago today. As it seems that Sly & The Family Stone didn't accidentally tour the UK around that time and a video was not available, it was decided that this was a job for Pan's People. In keeping with the title of the record, the five girls ran away from the TOTP studio to a department store, presumably somewhere in London (not even the TOTP2 captions disclosed the actual place). The clip was obviously shot outside business hours, as it is dark and you can see the lights of the traffic passing by. The TOTP episode which contained it was sadly wiped, but the routine has nevertheless survived as an insert.

Pan's People's activity could best be described as "fooling around" while dancing their way through various departments of the store. How many of us have actually dreamed of "running away" and having a store all for yourself, with the chance of toying with the goods as much as you like, I wonder. It seems the girls are particularly fond of cuddly toys and umbrellas! Of course, the clip also contains the iconic scene where Andy is tripping Louise up.

There are some loose connections to the lyrics here and there, with Flick interpreting the meaning of the song in her own unique way, but I don't think you can actually call this a literal interpretation. While choreographically it's certainly not one of their top efforts, I do like the merry, at times even childish, atmosphere of the routine. The costumes are a bit unusual, but I guess they have been chosen to emphasise the playfulness of the performance. Some of the pieces are changed a couple of times if you watch carefully. Anyhow there are a lot of lovely details to discover at close inspection.

I play this clip from time to time and it never fails to cheer me up. It seems as if the dancers had the chance to act very naturally in this performance and they doubtlessly enjoyed it. The song isn't too bad either. I'm giving

8.5 / 10

DotD: Well it's not really about dancing but the trip up scene is so iconic that I just have to pick Andy.

Re: RUNNIN' AWAY -- 1972

PansLegs
An interesting location film shot in Selfridges after hours, where it appears the cleaning ladies may have run amuck! What a great idea for a routine, although quite how closely it fits with the song is debatable. Had this only survived in black & white some of the overhead shots may have appeared like security camera footage monitoring the unusual night time goings on!

It's a lot of fun with some nicely directed shots and I think it shows that everyone was enjoying a diverting evening in a very different setting for a dance routine. Visually there's a fair amount to look at with more colour to it than say Tap Turns on The Water and therefore it is generally entertaining. A good 8/10, and Dee Dee seems to head this one up.

Re: RUNNIN' AWAY -- 1972

While the rolled up Dungaree look is not my favourite and this song does nothing for me, there's no denying the sense of fun oozing from this performance, which reminds me of a group of attractive street urchins who've managed to gain access to a closed Store.  The dress-up and accessory-play are entertaining and the facial expressions add to the package too.  Sly and his folk have been one of those bands I've tried to like over the years, knowing their legendary status, but I've failed and find their stuff a bit tuneless and facile although some of the instrumental parts are ok.  Oh well.  Anyway I think this deserves  8/10  for effort and is priceless for it's off-site location.   DotD is a challenge as all the ladies have good moments but in the end I have to give this to Andi who looks gorgeous here even in that tatty string vest and was lucky not to get a red card for that blatant Louise foul.

Re: RUNNIN' AWAY -- 1972

Pans adventures usually result in an interesting offering and this is no exception as the most attractive group of department store cleaners in history take a patriotic break messing around on the haberdashery floor.  The light hearted routine fits the mood of the song well, although despite Andi's opening Miss Mop moment, followed by that mischievous trip, it never quite sparkles.  The ladies are clearly having fun but more use of that mop, and perhaps a few buckets of water 'thrown' in for good measure would have been the way to go!
While those dungarees and hats were never going to win any fashion awards they fit the dance nicely and, even in those togs and clogs, naughty Andi looks particularly lovely so she gets my Dotd selection with a 7 for the routine.

Re: RUNNIN' AWAY -- 1972

The name of the track being danced to is Running Away, & it really must be the ideal we t escape from the hard knocks of life, for a group of girls to go out shopping together.
The store featured here, looks like it's aimed squarely at international tourists, with much of the merchandise, being quite literally very British in nature, & anybody else in the shop at the time that this dance routine was executed, would've had a bonus experience, with the quintisentially British Pan's People, yeah I know Flick was Amercan, but PP must be, to this day, better known about in Britain than just about anywhere else in the world.
I haven't mentioned the actual dancing, because, it seemed purely incidental, this performance, was primarily about something that many ladies like better than something else, rather more intimate.

8/10

DotD:-

Louise

Re: RUNNIN' AWAY -- 1972

mojo2007
apart from lovely Patti in a garden , did Flick get post-Pans dancers outside ?  Pans on the beach in Africa, now that was a sight. Back to this routine, an middle of the road effort, say 7.5 with Andi shining for me.

Re: RUNNIN' AWAY -- 1972

Nauseating song, but the routine is colorful and fun. I love the `Andrea` trip thing at the start and she gets my DOTD vote.

Rating. Well its provided my with lots of screengrabs for my pic quizzes, so i will be kind and give it `8.5 out of 10`.

Re: RUNNIN' AWAY -- 1972

Gorgeous Daze
If this was Legs & Co larking around on location I would value it. But watching dispassionately as I do with this era it's just another twee routine to a twee song. Fun to be had and an inventive little curio and all that, but nothing that much holds my interest. 'Sly Stone began recording at the age of 4' - this sounds like one of his early efforts. Quite a nice arrangement, at least. In dungarees and with Dee Dee fronting the arms-up I have a flashback to a Homely Girl. Who sadly grew up lacking the ability to match her educational enthusiasm and ended up cleaning the floor. (Yes, this came first, but true to PPCS chronology!). And I'm fast-forwarding to when Dee Dee downgraded to the high street working for Woolworths. Damn Labour.

A likely hit with fans of the Double Deckers, and Double Dee the DOTD.   5/10

Re: RUNNIN' AWAY -- 1972

Numb and insipid on location fodder routine (which thankfully survived the cull).

It has fun moments, but just basically Pans as cleaners larking around in a dreary Department store trying on shoes and stuff, when they should of been working.

Fun to begin with but drones on a bit and I lost interest in the end, Sorry.

I can see why I prefer the later Pans and definitely the Legs material.

This has about the attention span and the cultural impact of a group of char ladies with curlers gossiping about her down the road (me neither), and sadly I was willing it to stop.

Overall a kinda fun and joyful routine that doesn't really bring much to the Pans canon.

Scores: 6/10

Cleaning lady of the day: the ever delicious and cheeky Ruth

Re: RUNNIN' AWAY -- 1972

Mikey
Now this is my idea of a great location shoot. Pans are playing this for laughs from the off, dancing around the aisles with all manner of daft props from the store, Dee Dees mismatching footwear being a great example. The dancing forward and then backward along the creepy wig section is a big favourite as is the pretending to be mannequins bit as they move past the false legs, very silly stuff. As for the song, its ok, but maybe as an instrumental it will have worked just as well. I love all the neat little touches in this and i think Flick makes good use of the setting, 8.5/10. DOTD Dee Dee.

Re: RUNNIN' AWAY -- 1972

PaulF
8/10 Good fun routine.
My personal shopper is Ruth, although my Dotd goes to Dee Dee.
Paul

Re: RUNNIN' AWAY -- 1972

Old Grey Whistler
I do like these location dances but I imagine that they would have caused a certain amount of pressure to get the production completed as soon as possible. Also space in the department store is quite confined, so as a result the actual dancing is not particularly elaborate, but the end result is still quite enjoyable and the ladies seem to be having a good time.
I will score it an 8 out of 10 with DOTD going the way of Dee Dee.

Re: RUNNIN' AWAY -- 1972

katy
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: RUNNIN' AWAY -- 1972

bucksby
I liked this. ok so the song doesn't really do anything for me but I love the department store setting, very Are you being served with the old fashioned scary mannequins shot at the start. Bucks Fizz did a very similar thing for the video of Making your mind up. Routine 9, DOTD Dee Dee

Re: RUNNIN' AWAY -- 1972

Dancer
I was quite amazed at this routine when I first saw it and it really did nothing for me.  I first saw it on TOTP2 with Steve Wright introducing it and to me it looked like students running amok in a Department store (which is Selfridges).  I tended to glance away from the dancers and look at the merchandise and noticing the Carmen stand which was in every Department store in the early seventies as heated rollers were the staple of every woman.

I watched it again but it did not "float my boat".  Steve Wright was quite right (forgive the pun) when he said they could have been dancing to another song.  I liked Andi Rutherford.  She had a lovely cheeky grin on this.  For the dance it is six out of ten and for best dancer goes to Andi.

Re: RUNNIN' AWAY -- 1972

Doc
A fun bit of 'larking about' 7/10.
Dotd: I'll pick Louise, who appears to be wearing her bra on her head in one scene.

Re: RUNNIN' AWAY -- 1972

PattiforPM
Doc wrote
Dotd: I'll pick Louise, who appears to be wearing her bra on her head in one scene.
Best reason for DotD I've heard so far Doc

Re: RUNNIN' AWAY -- 1972

A really fun routine,and quite inventive using lots of different props.I like Andi's trip up moment,and also the conveyor belt part near the end.8/10
DotD:Andi

Re: RUNNIN' AWAY -- 27/04/1972

When I first saw this routine I used to call it "the department store" routine, but sadly after watching it I had forgotten about it and only knew it as "the department store", but when I joined OFTDs and found out how easy it was to identify the routine, it only took minutes to find this and watch all over again! It looks like Pan's have grabbed everything they like and have started to wear it, but I'm surprised they didn't fall into anything with that wild dancing!
I really like this one and it is quite special to me. I will always call it "the department store routine".
Rating: 10/10
DOTD: Andi
Devoted to Pan's People & Legs & Co.