Radio 1 Vintage

From Saturday morning at 6am, the BBC will launch a 3 day radio station this weekend for the 50th anniversary of BBC Radio 1. It will be called BBC Radio 1 Vintage and can be picked up online and on digital radio. Many compilations of radio programs from the BBC archive will be played from 6am-12am on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. After the station closes on the Monday night, shows will be available on BBC iPlayer Radio for 30 days from first broadcast.
Here is the full schedule

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p059cwkn

Re: Radio 1 Vintage

Doc
No DLT unsurprisingly, but it does appear that an hour of Mike Smith is OK in this case!
I will certainly be downloading some of the shows on Iplayer.

Re: Radio 1 Vintage

Everything'sRosie
Thanks for the nod, Legsfan . Some real blasts from the past there. Kenny Everett back on Radio 1 from beyond the grave, who'd have thought it! I shall be dipping into this, and fully expect to OD on nostalgia. Really looking forward to Ed Stewart too. 'ello darling. Last Christmas was just not the same without Junior Choice.

Re: Radio 1 Vintage

The Rubberband Man
I'm looking forward to catching some of these programmes as well.
It's a pity they are not including some of the shows made by Radio 1 DJ's who are no longer with us - Stuart Henry for instance. I think the BBC owe it to him.

Re: Radio 1 Vintage

Doc
I think they just ran out of space for all of the DJs. Interestingly several BBC stations will have their digital quality reduced for the 3 days to make space for the station, that's also why it will only be transmitted in mono. All being well the IPlayer downloads won't have such restrictions.

Re: Radio 1 Vintage

CoffeeThing
Great stuff, thanks LF, I would have missed thus without your nudge. Most grateful.

Re: Radio 1 Vintage

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
BBC this morning re-broadcast Alan Freeman's October 1977 90 minute show celebrating 10 years of Radio One, no qualms playing lots of DLT footage and mentions of Savile....double standards.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: Radio 1 Vintage

Legsfan
I'm just going to wait until the whole weekend is over then lift the stuff that I am interested in hearing.

Re: Radio 1 Vintage

Legsfan
This famous Noel Edmonds documentary has been uploaded to BBC iPlayer. You'll have to be quick because it is only on there for 28 days.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p05h6ylj/world-of-difference-1978

Re: Radio 1 Vintage

The Rubberband Man
I listened to The Best of The Official Chart earlier today. Classic stuff.
They had Tony Blackburn's infamous mispronunciation of Duran Duran, and Bruno Brookes playing the uncensored version of 'Killing In The Name Of" without any regret or apology. Mad that that was the Christmas No. 1 a few later in 2009.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05g2zvc

Re: Radio 1 Vintage

Doc
Amused that Mike Read's hour ended with Relax!

It's the last weekend to listen to these shows before they disappear from iPlayer.

Re: Radio 1 Vintage

Old Grey Whistler
Yes I listened to some of these shows. It was good to hear Noel Edmonds giving Pans People a brief mention saying that the songs that they danced to tended to stick in his mind. He particularly enjoyed their dance to Stoned Love.
No surprise that DLT didn't feature but I was surprised that Chris Evans was excluded.

Re: Radio 1 Vintage

Doc
On the Simon Mayo hour the first bit they played was on his first day and it included a run down of all the previous breakfast show hosts, except that they edited one of them out.

Re: Radio 1 Vintage

Doc
On the older shows I think they've dubbed over better versions of the songs as the sound improved substantially once the dj had finished talking.