Ruby Flipper All Time Top 10 Dances

I like Ruby Flipper.Yes,it's tough living in the shadow of Legs & co and Pan's People,but they deserve to be remembered as a good group.I know most of us here are fans of the ladies,but the men did a good job too.Some routines work well because there is a man in the group-the devils versus the angels in Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel,and Phillip as a partner to Lulu in The Continental.So,here's my Ruby top ten.
1 - (Shake,Shake,Shake)Shake Your Booty-pure joy to watch.Love Lulu's glances to camera.
2 - You Should Be Dancing - the song and the energy.
3 - Jeans On - love the song.
4 - Rubberband Man - Great colour and energy
5 - Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel - Great routine with many fine moments,like pointing at the devils to go away.
6 - The Continental - lovely dance between Phillip and my number 1 lady.
7 - Young Hearts Run Free - Good routine.Shows the dream(Gavin and Cherry) and reality with the wife and kids.
8 - Silly Love Songs - great McCartney song,and good dance.
9 - Let 'Em In - I like this routine better than the one at xmas.
10 - Love Hangover - good dance,and good song.
I also think Patti in The Wanderer,and Cherry in Misty Blue deserve a mention.

Re: Ruby Flipper Appreciation Club

Great stuff SuPaLu, i will do my top ten later. Though you may want to edit your top choice and rename it `Shake Your Booty` as thats the name of the song.

Re: Ruby Flipper Appreciation Club

As your favourite girl was away doing her exam revision I can understand you not including HOMS in your top ten SuPaLu.  However, with regards to those routines that worked well because of the mixed nature of the group this has to be up there.  Indeed, more routines like "Heart..." and I'd have been knocking on FC's door for an audition!

Re: Ruby Flipper Appreciation Club

Well i like doing top tens so heres my Ruby Flipper ten of the best.

No1--`Shake Your Booty`--Lulu definately is the star for me in this one, 3 months into her Ruby stint and all that early nervousness as dissapeared. I agree with SuPaLu about her smiling look into the camera, it is one of my favourite Ruby moments. I also like the large dancing area here and how they use the space to full effect.

No2--`Heart On My Sleeve`--This once rarely seen dance was the highlight of 2011 for me when it appeared on the reruns of TOTPs. The 4 dancers are faultless in this and this is pushing to be my No 1. Even Sues peach coloured dress looks better every time i view the clip.

No3--`Cant Help Falling In Love`--A great thought out introduction to the 5 new dancers and this is one i never tire of seeing. The contrast between the confidence of Cherry & Sue and the young jittery Lulu is apparent for all to see, but the girl did well, in a way it was a pity the camera caught her nervy glance when she looked down the line.

No4--`Play That Funky Music`--Well ive said before that i think Ruby did there best work as a fivesome and these 5 maybe should have had a little longer to hone their skills. By far their most sexy dance IMHO.

No5--`You Should Be Dancing`--Another sexy dance, well im talking about the three at the back, not the birthdayboy. Love the girls costumes in this. Floid did okay too, though the 3 girls on there own would have suited me.

No6--`Let Em In`--A nice bright colourful set and again its them same 5 dancers who once again proove they were good as a 5some. Great stuff with Lulu & Phil in a clinch, and good close ups of all the dancers, inc sexy Sue.

No7--`Young Hearts Run Free`--Its hard to imagine people not liking this one, but a lot of none dancing fans dissed this one when it was shown last year on the reruns. To me it shows the creative genius of Flick, i mean who else would have dressed a black man up as downtrodden wife, and how well did he play the part.

No8--`Love Hangover`--One for the Patti fans, gotta admit the first 30 seconds to this is very sensual. Again great close ups in this one.

No9--`Rubberband Man`--The famous five again, theres something about sexy girls when they just show a bit of thigh, and in this they do just that.

No10--`TVC 15`--Yes a surprising pick but i cant ignore the dance Sue did to this. To think there was a camera trained on her throughout this and all we got to see was snippits of her on them TVs whilst we viewed the boys goofing around. This was Flick at her teasing best, to think the full sexy dance that Sue did to this was just edited and then the rest binned makes one want to weep, well almost.

Re: Ruby Flipper Appreciation Club

Yes,HOMS did work well.I also think Soul City Walking did too.With 'couples' walking around the city.

Re: Ruby Flipper Appreciation Club

I almost included Play That Funky Music.It is a shame the camera caught Lulu's anxious look at the end of Can't Help Falling In Love,as she handled her bit at the start well.

Re: Ruby Flipper Appreciation Club

Floid Fan
Good idea for a thread SuPaLu and I'm happy to take part as I don't recall ever expressing an opinion on this particular dance troupe on the forum before Some of my favourites lower down the list tend to change.
Well PopFlipsters, here's my favourite 10:

1. You Should Be Dancing This tune has never dated- And the swirling around and high kicking of the dancers in their skimpy outfits and shorts is full of energy and there's a real feel good vibe to watching this. Your feet and body really feel they should be dancing. Patti the Pout is in her element here. Nice to see Floidy get a chance on his own with the girls.

2. Shake Your Booty Love this ensemble synchronised piece and the dancers' futuristic silver clothes.  I like these kind of routines when the dancers are in a big open area and the audience are all around them. Feels a lot more participatory and fun. Not a great deal of 'booty' shaking, but the troupe got all the right moves to a very catchy tune. Agree about cutie-pie Lulu's sweet look up to the camera.

3. Love Hangover Again, I never tire of watching this. The routine has a lot of variety to keep people interested. There's a lot of funky moving and grooving going on. Sultry looks from Phil and love Cherry shaking her finger  and Mistress Patti sensually slinking around on that furry bed with her exaggerated arm swaying.

4. Heart on My Sleeve Hidden from civilisation for 35 years- what a find!!!! Delicate, understated yet exquisite routine with little steps and shimmying around the stage and close-ups on the different duos and Floid gets a mini solo spot too. And the boy done good. This routine shows the creative genius, versatility and class of Flick Colby'schoreography.

5. Don't Go Breaking My Heart Another routine I never get bored with. Okay, a lot of people would rightly argue that there is very little choreography in this routine at all, but it's a real feelgood performance- love RF standing in a line and doing their high kicks and love the chance to see the fashions and hairstyles of 1976 up close as this is another audience participation number.

6. Sold My Rock and Roll One that seems to usually be undeservedly ignored in discussions of Ruby Flipper dances. I love all the synchronised moving around in a big circle while simultaneously doing those little leg kicks and then different pairs moving into the centre of the circle to do their little turns. Underrated song too.

7. Rubberband Man I've said it many times before, but I'll say it again! For me, this ranks as the most technically complex of all the Ruby Flipper dances. Arms and legs going at lightning speeds and lots of complicated gestures to memorize, which they pull off with aplomb. A nice fun number and shows why the Ruby Flipper era was so brilliantly quirky and inventive.

8. Young Hearts Young Free Audacious, outrageous,  bizarre and mesmerising routine,the like of which no Top of the Pops audience had ever seen before or has ever seen since. The little proper dancing is left to the Cherry and Gavin duet. Everyone else is telling the story of the song in fancy dress.... and Floid starting to make his name as the Ruby Flipper member who 'dresses up' and makes mean use of an iron prop.

9. Jeans On The song is a perennial classic from that legendary hot summer of 1976 and Ruby Flipper do some nice moves in denim as they cosy up to each other on their little podium across from Mr Dundas. Enjoyable routine.

10. TVC15 Has a list of detractors as long as my arm, but is this arguably Flick Colby's forgotten Magnum Opus? , This is an avant garde conceptual masterpiece of the surreal which has been much misunderstood. Sue adds a much needed bit of gender balance here and fulfills her forum nickname of 'the Goddess' by being a remote and unreachable presence on the TV screens, being worshipped by the three lads. I appreciate all the skill involved in the boys' gymastic rolls and splits and of still hitting marks after doing cartwheels and avoiding bumping into each other in that tiny living room set. The costume choices were also pretty distinctive and add to the surrealness. This routine is a real oddity but for my money an extraordinary and unique contribution to TOTP dance troupe routines.
Carl

Re: Ruby Flipper Appreciation Club

    I know you will agree Carl, there is hardly a rotten routine amounst the Flipper set. I could easily have included `The Flasher` for example, i know its not the most techincal of dances but given the humid conditions, poor Floid in his furry outfit played a blinder, think i would have died of dehydration. `The Best Disco In Town ` is another i always play, i love the medley theme to it. Patti doing her`Wanderer` routine is fun, as is Sue,Lulu & Floid Reggaeing like it used to be.

  So, onto dead `Ducks`! The appauling `Summer Of My Life` must top this list, not Lulus dancing i must hasten to add, im talking about Mr Mays flat awful singing. I dont mind `Disco Duck`, its a laugh and the corny nature of it makes it pretty good viewing.

Re: Ruby Flipper Appreciation Club

Floid Fan
Agree, Ryan. I was thinking of including 'The Flasher', as I quite like it and it is unusual in having the three girls bobbing about up high, on the boys shoulders. (It was fascinating to see the full context of that edition in the reruns with David Hamilton making multiple references to the heat!! That edition and the Tony Blackburn introduced one with Tubular Bells, epitomise the heatwave summer) Soul City Walk is really impressive too as the seven Flipsters take on a hundred roles in a snapshot of everday street life in New York. And 'You'll Never Find...' is also visually interesting and some searing Latin looks of passion between Phillip and Cherry. I also like Lulu and Sue's hornpipe dancing in the Paul Nicholas number 'Dancing with the Captain'.
Agree too that Disco Duck is a fun routine. Their first and last routines were also classics. Interesting that we had a few Lulu-less weeks (due to her exams) and Cherry-less weeks (due to who knows what) during the Flipper's run.
There are only one or two RF numbers which show some haste and lack of imagination and that's 'The Wanderer' and 'Don't go Breaking my Heart'- but the latter is still one of my favourites. Patti does her best with what she's been asked to do in the former.
Carl

Re: Ruby Flipper Appreciation Club

Well if ever there was a rush job, in my view `The Wanderer` is it. Yes Patti does sterling work on it, but theres something not right about it. Surely one of the boys should have done the solo, afterall its about a bloke on the pull. Then again, as we all know, the boys were hardly flavour of the month, or should i say 5 and a half months were they !

Re: Ruby Flipper Appreciation Club

PattiforPM
I love these lists so thanks for the opportunity SuPaLu and great choices by those who've posted so far I must say.  I am in the group of Duck- and TVC-haters as i think you're all aware by now and I don't like the Flasher much either so I would quarrel with the "no stinkers" statement I am afraid but I totally agree that there's some great stuff in the RF cornucopia.  Anyway here's my choices:

1.  Shake Your Booty  - great group fluidity, the girls are so great I can't recall what the guys did (sorry FF)
2.  Play Your Funky Music - hot and clever and good work by all the dancers here.  Hate those split skirts - NOT
3.  Rubberband Man - as FF says this one has tricky moves and is perfectly executed
4.  Love Hangover - Intro by Patti slays me every time and Cherry triumphs here too
5.  You Should Be Dancing - The three ladies just look lovely and camera work is A1 IMHO
6.  Leader of the Pack - I know it might be in my imagination but sounds too good to miss off this list (eh Steve)
7.  Misty Blue - Looking at Cherry in blue finery for nearly three minutes is such a chore
8.  Silly Love Songs - Great facial expressions and many other good things here! If Sue were there too this is #1
9.  Can't Help Falling in Love - Surely the best first dance of any Troupe and hello dark-haired angel
10. Best Disco in Town - Cherry please don't go!  Didn't she do well though

Re: Ruby Flipper Appreciation Club

OMG, ive just noticed, 4 people have submitted top tens here, 3 of them have `Shake Your Booty` as their first choice and the other has it in second place. For a record that didnt trouble the UK top Twenty, and for quite a simple, relatively easy dance to choreograph this is quite an achievement.

Re: Ruby Flipper Appreciation Club

Suefan
Well I'm going to buck the trend and leave any booty shaking till later.  I can't remember what my previous top 10 Ruby's were but these are my current favourites from the girls and boys:

1.  Heart On My Sleeve (you know why)
2.  Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel (well played by one and all)
3.  Play That Funky Music (what a great way to finish a run)
4.  Morning Glory (well I'm a sucker for silver wellys)
5.  This Is It (well I like it)
6..  A Fifth of Beethoven (what confidence from FC to devise such a routine)
7.  Silly Love Songs (even Sueless this makes my top ten every time)
8.  Misty Blue (one of the best ever solos)
9.  Young Hearts Run Free (quirky and fun)
10.  Soul City Walk (even though that blasted Phil keeps pinched my spot)

Re: Ruby Flipper Appreciation Club

JEZ
yes i must admitt since doing lists in the past of favourites ,choices do change so its good to do these kind of topics

1,CANT HELP FALLIN IN LOVE -STYLISTICS
2,BEST DISCO IN TOWN -RICHIE FAMILY
3,THIS IS IT -MELBA MOORE
4,HEART ON MY SLEEVE -GALLAGER AND LYLE
5,YOUNG HEARTS RUN FREE-CANDI STATON
6,SILLY LOVE SONGS -WINGS
7,SOLD MY ROCK N ROLL -LINDA AND FUNKY BOYS
8,HARVEST FOR THE WORLD-ISLEY BROS
9,MORNING GLORY-JAMES AND BOBBY PURIFY
10,LEADER OF THE PACK -SHANGRILAS--Joke ryan
10,HEAVEN MUSTVE BEEN MISSING AN ANGEL -TAVARES

Re: Ruby Flipper Appreciation Club

Floid Fan
Patti4Pm, with regard to 'Shake Your Booty', I imagine that you couldn't take your eyes of 'the best in the world', I can tell.
This routine has been a bit of a rarity as until recently it wasn't on youtube at all and only on OFTD.
 Ryan, I think the tune is quite well known and it would surprise people to find out it didn't make the top 20. If you look closely at the video, you can see old Jimmy 'As it Appens' in his kilt in the distance on his tod, top right corner of the screen behind the audience, and notice as he slowly shakes his way along and up the steps of the wedding cake stage to take his place ready for the link about three quarters through the song.
Carl

Re: Ruby Flipper Appreciation Club

Yes one thing about Jimmy, he wasnt affraid to have a bit of a dance. Couldnt imagine Tone Blackburn doing that.

Re: Ruby Flipper Appreciation Club

Well most of you on here know ive got a fetish with lists/top tens etc and this thread is no exception. So theres 6 members who have submitted top ten Ruby Flipper routines and ive collated them and put them into list order. Ive used my usual formula to calculate the scoring.

1st   Shake Your Booty                                  39 pts  ( 4 votes )
2nd  Heart On My Sleeve                               33 pts  ( 4 votes )
3rd   You Should Be Dancing                          31 pts  ( 4 votes )
4th   Play That Funky Music                           24 pts   ( 3 votes )
5th   Rubberband Man                                   21 pts   ( 4 votes )
6th   Cant Help Falling in Love                        20 pts   ( 3 votes )
7th   Love Hangover                                      19 pts   ( 4 votes )
7th   Young Hearts Run Free                          19 pts   ( 5 votes )  **
9th   Heaven Must Be missing An Angel           16 pts   ( 3 votes )
10th Silly Love songs                                     15 pts   ( 4 votes )

11th  This Is It                                              14 pts
12th  Best Disco In Town                                10 pts
12th  Jeans On                                              10 pts
14th  Morning Glory                                         9 pts
14th  Sold My Rock N Roll                                 9 pts
16th  Let Em In                                               7 pts
16th  Misty Blue                                              7 pts
17th  Dont Go Breaking My Heart                      6 pts
18th  A Fifth Of Beetoven                                 5 pts
18th  Leader Of The Pack                                 5 pts
18th  The Continental                                      5 pts
21st  Harvest For the World                              3 pts
22nd  TVC15                                                   2 pts
23rd  Soul City Walking                                    1 pt

Notable ommissions from your voting all with zero points--

Aria
Back In The USSR
Dancing With The Captain
Disco Duck
It Only Takes A Minute
Love Me Like A Lover
My Resistance Is Low
Reggae Like It Used To Be
Shake It Down
Summer Of My Life
The Flasher
The Wanderer
Tubular Bells
Youll Never Find Another Love Like Mine

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD YOUR TOP TEN RUBY FLIPPER TO THIS THREAD, I WILL THEN AMEND THE COLLATED LIST

Re: Ruby Flipper Appreciation Club

74benja81
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Ruby Flipper Appreciation Club

SuPaLu
I like many of those,good to see You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine finally getting a point.Disco Duck,what a fun song that is.

Re: Ruby Flipper Appreciation Club

74benja81
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.