Quantcast

SAVE YOUR SUGAR FOR ME -- 27/07/1972

Save Your Sugar For Me
Performed by Tony Joe White
Original broadcast date 27/07/1972 Duration of dance - 2.17 mins
Dancers: Andrea, Babs, Dee Dee, Louise, Ruth
A link to the dance:
http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=571

Today's featured routine is the second - and last - of the clips produced for the slimming campaign in 1972, and aired on "Nationwide" (for the first, "Coconut", go here). The music is taken from Tony Joe White's third longplayer "Tony Joe", originally released in 1970. The album also contains White's sole UK hit "Groupy Girl" which peaked at No. 22 in the charts in July 1970.

"Save Your Sugar For Me" had been released as the follow-up to "Groupy Girl", but despite an appearance on TOTP, the single went nowhere. It did, however, make the US Hot 100, if only just, peaking at No. 95 in August 1970.

White is probably better known as a songwriter than as a performer. Some of the songs he composed for himself and others include "Polk Salad Annie", "Rainy Night in Georgia" (later recorded by Randy Crawford) and "Steamy Windows" (for Tina Turner).

While "Coconut" is more of a fun offering, "Save Your Sugar For Me" is a very sensual video, showing Pan's People at their sexiest ever. It's a fair bet that this clip would not have been shown on TOTP. If you're a fan of Louise, you better sit down before you watch! Can you imagine those curvaceous women being filmed for a slimming campaign today, in a time when models seem to look like lampposts? Yet it's clear to see that none of them were weighing a single gram too much. Anyway, I digress

I guess it's hardly surprising that I love this clip. Granted, there's not a lot of actual dancing, but then there are plenty of equally inspiring movements. An outside location, loads of close-ups (a real bonanza for screenshots!), even the right kind of music for this clip, so what's not to like?

10 / 10

Dancer of the Day could really be anyone here, but as my favourite dancer Ruth is featured prominently, it's an easy choice for me.

Re: SAVE YOUR SUGAR FOR ME -- 1972

PansLegs
Another existing example of a filmed performance for the Nationwide Slim '72 campaign - no idea how many we're missing but it's a fair bet that there was more than two appearances, including some studio bound ones.

Nevertheless, any survivors are gratefully acknowledged and this is definitely the better of the two. Both this and 'Coconut' are fun and portray messages connected with diet and slimming, so include some exercise style moves as well as normal dance ones. This particular performance has the added advantage of a great guitar track by Tony Joe White, the sort backing that Pans seem to excel at providing a good visual to. There are a lot of great moments here both as a group and singularly, with the mood changing from a good deal of humour one moment to downright steamy sexuality the next.

On this occasion the choreography praise needs to be assigned to Andrea for it was she who constructed this routine not Flick. In fact, I have often wondered how much Flick was involved in the Nationwide performances across the board. Either way, this is a great filmed routine with some oh-so 1970s looking orange trouser outfits plus cropped tops (even though similar outfits were seen in 1969 on London Aktuel) that stand out like a neon light against the green countryside. The purpose of this visual accompaniment was fulfilled brilliantly and then some... so I award an excellent 10. DotD must go to Ruth for the superb and comically brilliant piece of acting involving a sugary drink!

Re: SAVE YOUR SUGAR FOR ME -- 1972

Well this is a heck of a slimming campaign accompaniment, that's for sure.  The ladies look wonderful in their midriff-baring outfits and there's plenty of ab-workouts going on here as well as a "health drink" afterwards.  Then there's that tantalizing Louise section; just breathtaking!  There are some slightly distracting gymnastic moments too and of course, as in all good theatre, there's a balcony scene too.  All in all there's something for everyone and this is so so much better than that spooky coconut thing. A hearty  9/10  from me and I just manage to see past the actress Ruth to the temptress Louise for DotD.  BTW really interesting to hear that Andi had a hand in the choreography.

Re: SAVE YOUR SUGAR FOR ME -- 1972

Very fond of this one.  The ladies look lovely in those fantastic costumes and Andrea's choreography doesn't disappoint either.  At no point does slimming ever cross my mind but this is still an excellent 10 with Andi my Dotd.

Re: SAVE YOUR SUGAR FOR ME -- 1972

There's many elements of a great literal dance routine in this video, & like Coconut, the wacky humour's there for all to see, the funniest part's where Ruth has her snatched from under her nose, but she takes it on her chin, the great natured woman that she obviously is.
I'm not so sure about the orange outfits, it's the colour most associated with gaol inmates.

9/10

DotD:-

Ruth

Re: SAVE YOUR SUGAR FOR ME -- 1972

PattiForPM
For those of you in law enforcement, I just committed a crime and I will keep on re-offending until you agree to incarcerate me with the above inmates for life with no chance in Heaven of parole

Re: SAVE YOUR SUGAR FOR ME -- 1972

Super curvacious and sexy. Why don't women look that good no more ?

Rating--`9 out of 10`

DOTD--`The beer drinker`.

Re: SAVE YOUR SUGAR FOR ME -- 1972

mojo2007
That's a sad comment Ryan. One reason is so few take a pride in their appearance. The streets of Richmond and Kingston were full of beautifully dressed  young women when Ruth ( local girl )  was in that age group. In Leeds in the mid 70's a Bistro had waitresses who wore hot pants and similar Pans inspired outfits.  Back to this item. Clearly a 10 for me with wicked Ruth stealing the beer and the show.

Re: SAVE YOUR SUGAR FOR ME -- 1972

Old Grey Whistler
At first glance it looks as though the troupe are doing a spot of community service. I suppose they are in a way, although it is probably the male half of the community who benefit the most. As a slimming campaign I'm not sure how effective it was but it was certainly an enjoyable performance, well directed and choreographed, and you get the feeling that they enjoyed doing it.

I will give a score of 9 out of 10 and with Ruth as DOTD.

Re: SAVE YOUR SUGAR FOR ME -- 1972

A very enjoyable routine.Some lovely dancing,and good humour.Louise is fab as usual.The costumes are great,even the colour is appealing.I like the part when they sneak up on Ruth enjoying a swift half.9/10
DotD:Louise

Re: SAVE YOUR SUGAR FOR ME -- 1972

Gorgeous Daze
Easy to see why this is a tangerine dream for the early Pan's posse. It's strong terrain even for this viewer for whom the era doesn't hold the magic. It feels like watching recovered faded footage of a working holiday. Blithe youth, endless summers...proof that the sun didn't always shine. Such visions of loveliness at large on a rambler's path must surely indicate heatstroke though! The song is a prime example of the cobwebs that needed to be blasted away by glam rock, so no hike in my score from that. But the video's a healthy picnic of frolicsome fun and naughtily provocative. Over to Stuart Hall in our Manchester studio, who's vowed to abstain from indulgence for a month.

DOTD Louise.  Edged up from 8 & a half to  8.75/10.  Cheers.

Re: SAVE YOUR SUGAR FOR ME -- 1972

VintageVideos
Gorgeous Daze wrote
The song is a prime example of the cobwebs that needed to be blasted away by glam rock
Although I rarely comment on other members comments, I can't help saying that I disagree with the above. The song is a prime example of first class swamp rock, a musical genre that has always appealed to the more mature generation. A completely different target audience than glam rock was aimed at. Glam rock was ok but it was the music of the kids.

Re: SAVE YOUR SUGAR FOR ME -- 1972

Gorgeous Daze
There's not much right or wrong when it comes to taste. Well not in the timeframe we're interested in anyway. . But glam rock is no doubt enjoyed by people of all ages today far more than swamp rock. Even back in the day, as Slade famously told us, granny coudn't resist a bit of glam rock.

Re: SAVE YOUR SUGAR FOR ME -- 1972

Mikey
Well the healthy eating message is clearly lost on me here but Pans People certainly could liven up what was probably a yawnsom campaign. Visually its mildly psychedelic, with its fast editing, orange glow effects and the soundtrack a grimy slow funk its ticking all the right boxes for me already. The short edited scenes are cut at a frenetic pace as Pans practice their yoga moves and other mini dance sequences all lovingly crafted (although the 'down in the swamps' bit is a cop out) to the lyrics. The final sequence sees Ruth nonchalantly trying to quaff a light ale only to be thwarted because its 'bad for you'!, or some such nonsense. All in all a brilliant performance, 9/10. Drinker of the day, Ruth.

Re: SAVE YOUR SUGAR FOR ME -- 27/07/1972

fun fun in the sun, not to be taken seriously, i think there are other Pans bits to do with the Slimming 72 campaign that may or may not exist, i have the booklet at home (sadly no Pans in it)

great fun and superbly shot.

Scores: 9/10

Slurper of the day: Ruth

Re: SAVE YOUR SUGAR FOR ME -- 27/07/1972

Doc
Rather reminiscent of a Jane Fonda fitness video (not that I've seen one), certainly interesting throughout 8/10.
Dotd: Dee Dee's charms get my vote.

Re: SAVE YOUR SUGAR FOR ME -- 27/07/1972

Everything'sRosie
So this was a sister vid to Coconut, which was professionally shot on quality film stock. I'm guessing this was intended to look amateurish, hence Babs with the cine camera. Not really my cup of tea, to be honest. More larking around than dancing. I like the part with Ruth on the balcony though enjoying a quick Britney.

Marks: 7/10

Re: SAVE YOUR SUGAR FOR ME -- 27/07/1972

CoffeeThing
The future us orange! Nice routine, something a bit different. I liked the close ups and varied moves. 7.5/10 and hard to pick a DOTD as all were great but I think the lovely Ruth just edges it for me.

Re: SAVE YOUR SUGAR FOR ME -- 27/07/1972

PansLegs
Everything'sRosie wrote
So this was a sister vid to Coconut, which was professionally shot on quality film stock. I'm guessing this was intended to look amateurish, hence Babs with the cine camera. Not really my cup of tea, to be honest. More larking around than dancing. I like the part with Ruth on the balcony though enjoying a quick Britney.

Marks: 7/10
This was also professionally shot on the same type of film, it's just a crappy copy on the blog.

Re: SAVE YOUR SUGAR FOR ME -- 27/07/1972

PansLegs wrote
This was also professionally shot on the same type of film, it's just a crappy copy on the blog.
It maybe a crappy copy, but at least its something for us all to view. Why dont you could upload your superior copy.