SAVE YOUR SUGAR FOR ME -- 27/07/1972

Re: SAVE YOUR SUGAR FOR ME -- 27/07/1972

Hanway2
    God created women, and beer. If one believes in Creation, at what point was beer first made? Was it before or after the fall of Adam and Eve? Was beer in plentiful supply in the Garden of Eden? And if not created, which wise person first discovered the method to produce a liquid that has provided happiness to Humanity for thousands of years? Whoever it was deserves our utmost adulation and acclaim. Ale or beer in it’s many forms, we salute you! And women who like a pint, we salute you as well!
     Another filmed routine which we should feel fortunate has still survived. In my mind this has the air of being filmed by the banks of the River Thames in South West London, but does anyone know for sure? All five Pan’s dressed very pleasingly in cropped orange tops and slightly flared orange trousers. The girls all give very fine performances, especially together at about 00.30 to 00.45 as they perform some movements in unison and then from 01.20 to 01.25 as the move backwards wiggling their hips. And at 01.56 when the terrible twosome of Andi and Ruth wipe reeds through their mouths before all the team march off into the distance with the birds in the bushes singing in the background. In fact, there is not a large amount of dancing to be seen here, mostly separate scenes of action and movement, but always a great little watch, for the frivolous side of my favourite group of dancers in the whole wide world.
     Do you remember the programme Nationwide, with Michael Barrett, Bob Wellings, Sue Lawley and all? I can remember it very well. It was on from about 6 to 7 every week day evening, mostly. And seemed to last an interminably long time each night. Boredom is what springs to my mind whenever the need to recall the programme arises- like now. Leavened only by a few of the more interesting features, such as this film of Pan’s People now reviewed. Which I can actually remember from all those years ago. The part of Ruth having a drink has stuck with me, as a burgeoning Ruth fan at the time!
     Would Ruth prefer to be down the pub than practising her dancing? And drinking what looks suspiciously like ‘Young’s Bitter’ to me. Her sneering look down at about 01.29 would seem to confirm yes. But right from the very beginning this is a memorable piece, with Ruth then Andi being seen on the banks of the river- and has Andi ever looked more sumptuous than at 00.08 as she turns to look at the camera? And Dee Dee dancing then disappearing into the long grass is another attracting and suggestive moment. Then again Ruth look so divinely appealing at 00.29 as she gazes in my direction from her grassy domain, and she sure looks like she is enjoying her drink at about 01.33. So bad she is interrupted! By her killjoy sisters led by Andi. ( I bet Andi is a red wine girl myself )! Louise’s lovely sensual moments from 01.04 to 01.12 with her hips and thrusting motions and oh so endearing kiss to the camera again attract enormously. Followed by Babs on camera and some- shaky- camerawork. But Babs’ best part is her look of disapproval and admonishment when Ruth is tumbled and her drink taken away from her, at 01.40, bringing out her acting ability once more. These little acting numbers are great to watch over and over, concentrating on a different member of the troupe each time. But, what would you do, stay down stairs with the dancing girls or go and have a drink with Ruth? No contest! Two pints of Young’s, please!
    DOTD.  Real ale drinking Ruth. My kind of girl!
    Dance award 8/10. An enjoyable piece with some lovely scenes, well done to all concerned. On a fine summer’s day in 1972. What a time to be young!
         Andi- 7, Ruth- 6, Dee Dee- 5, Louise- 5, Babs- 3;-  Flick- 6.     ( 32 routines )

Re: SAVE YOUR SUGAR FOR ME -- 27/07/1972

Mikey
This is a very creative video. I thought id take a look at the 2 'film glitches' to see if there was anything interesting within, the first is Ruth lying in the grass, nice but nothing new there, but the second (after Babs is shown holding the camera) shows numerous cuts that whizz by at such a speed you have to use a frame advance to see what they are. It looks like these are possibly unused parts, the first interesting one appears to be an alternate shot of Ruth being deprived of her drink, the image on the left shows Dee Dee and Ruth clearly smiling which what not the case later on in the video (the shot on the right). Also the film is either backward or it was recorded at a different angle, i'm not clear which. Oh and in another shot shows Babs playing with her hair .