SAY WHEN [June]

SAY WHEN   Dance/performance number 169 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Lene Lovich   reaching number 19 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  14/06/79  Duration of dance/performance 2.45 mins
Dancers - Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Pauline 152
Sue      152
Rosie    149
Patti     148
Gill       145
Lulu      144
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ysu8s_legs-co-say-when-totp-tx-14-06-1979_creation

We are treated here to a double dose of Legs & Co in two ways. Its one of those rare routines in which we see a change of costume (another possible target for my lists that) and talk about err, lucky numbers, thanks to a bit of camera wizardry at times we get to see 12 dancers to this upbeat little ditty from Ms Lovich `Say When`. Surprised this only just crept into the top 20, its a decent enough tune, guess around this time there was some fine songs around the charts though.

I think its quite obvious from the off that the dancers are enjoying this routine, with each of them being given the chance to throw a few funny faces into camera. I particularly enjoy all the movements in this, the hands on hips walk, the aerobics, the surf board moves, the hamming it up theatricals, the flexing of biceps, the marching on the spot with thrusting elbows, need i go on. But there are are few minor niggles. I'm not so keen on the BA Baracus jewelry the girls are wearing around their necks when they have their blue costumes on and was it really necessary for the camera to keep focusing in on Patti's lower torso.

For my DOTD, well for her sheer energy and enthusiastic over acting, its`Rosie` who always makes me smile when watching her in this, so she is my choice.

Rating, i'm at `8.75 out of 10`.

Re: SAY WHEN [June]

Colm
I always like routines where the entire song encompasses the whole routine - and this one stands out for its sense of fun and freedom.

I love the Gill solo/Sue and Lulu pairing/Pauline, Rosie and Patti trio during the verses, and the movement in the group shots is slick. I wonder if the close-up we get of Pauline towards the end was a nod to her big moment in the days after the routine was recorded?

DotD: For putting the most fun into the routine, Rosie

Score: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-TEN - why not? I love song and dance.

Re: SAY WHEN [June]

Certainly an unusual song but one that sort of grows on me and probably deserved a higher chart placing. The dance was probably nowhere near the most complicated that the ladies performed but it's a really fun routine to watch. My only critiscism is as Ryan said the zooming in on Patti, I don't know about you but I wanted to look at the other 5 girls and would have preferred a bit more of the long shot. Well worth a 10/10.
Dotd: Gill starts the routine off very well and certainly challenges for the accolade then there's fine work in the middle by Sue and Lulu but the very slightly mad Rosie just blows me away in this one!

Re: SAY WHEN [June]

VintageVideos
This dance is full of energy, fun, and sensuality (dare I say sex appeal?). Great dresses, lots of smiles, and what's wrong with Patti's midriff, I ask myself. Extra points for a real good proper ending, not another of those shoddy abrupt fadeouts. I must admit I couldn't remember the song but it's not too bad either. The routine suits it just perfectly. Some of the best three minutes I've spent recently.

10 / 10

DotD: Gill

Re: SAY WHEN [June]

Suefan
The ladies certainly enhance this song with some entertaining moves.  Smashing gold costumes and a great sense of fun make this an 8.

Re: SAY WHEN [June]

AC/PD
Nicely nutty start to this particular routine with the robotic hands-on-hips walk with steps. in time to the beat of the intro. The ladies have the loopy Lene Lovich feeling from the off with amusing expressions filling the screen. Gill shines, inevitable in a routine which utilises one of the classic Legs & Co. costumes consisting of sparkly sequins, and she's pretty game marching along to a song which contains traces of the famous Bo Diddley beat, later to be heard in Bo Wow Wow's 'I Want Candy'.
Great to see Patti's count filling the screen and she certainly looks bizarre enough when zipping through 1-10. However, Rosemary's start-stop stint spearheading the two brunettes certainly appeals. She oozes sexiness in the eye-rolling, straight from the Lulu book of eyeball techniques, offers us a good Jazz hand, looks like she's been bingeing on the BBC coffee for the first time since 1978's Blame It On The Boogie for the head-shaking freak-out moments and then instructs us all to calm down with a Jimmy Cagney impression straight out of Rosie's days at the Italia Conti Academy.
8/10
DOTD : Rosie

Re: SAY WHEN [June]

I really like this performance and enjoy the costume change and the doubling of the Troupe too but it is indeed the wonderful facial expressions that win my heart here.  By the way I see nothing wrong with the camera zooming in on the Hammond midsection as I think it's done in a tasteful and abstract kind of way and suits the offbeat song well.  DotD gives me difficulty with Gill's solo competing with Patti's lovely counting and aforementioned camera-dominance but in the end I'm going with the majority and the perfectly proportioned and comedic Rosie this time.  As for a score I am awarding 9/10 and the strong streak of Dances continues

Re: SAY WHEN [June]

Another of the dance routines that blend together, two obviously separate parts of the recording, hence the different costumes between the distance , & closer-up camera shots.
The accompanying track from Lene Lovich, Say When, sounds a bit silly, & the ladies, acted accordingly, as we'd have expected 'em to, the cross-fading works okay here, & the double-visual effects, provide a curious sight, making each one of the dancer look like they've got an identical twin sister, & there's some great gurning by our girls.

7/10

DotD:-

Rosie

Re: SAY WHEN [June]

SuPaLu
There's a lot going on,what with the camera trickery,different costumes and the 1-2-3 combinations.The sense of fun that they all project is great to watch and is most enjoyable.I like Gill's solo bit,and also Lulu And Sue's bit.If Rosie had been on holiday i probably would have gone for Lulu with her double-take looks,telling me i look all big and strong,her wide-eyed look of surprise,not to mention her increasingly fab hair-do.But Rosie is dazzling.A great smile,great sense of fun and a great dancer-she can't go wrong.
10/10
DotD:Rosie

Re: SAY WHEN [June]

Andeebee
I have watched this several times, first batch forfront dancing the other times background dancing.

I tend to like the blue swimsuit background dancing better, it is a strange and bizarre routine, lots of flashing lights from Patti's naval (as she is dressed in blue does that mean there is an immaculate conception LOL). Talking of Patti nice countdown from her, including her engagement ring.

lots of silliness, and military marching on the spot, nice double take from Lulu, it seems Rosie is having the most fun, the giggles, the eye rolling......the routine is as infectious as the song.......but i would think they should of stuck to one costume change thou

Scores on my doors: Un, deux, trois, quattre, cinq, six, sept, huit, nine, ten/ten

DOTD: well it's pretty simple - Rosie

Re: SAY WHEN [June]

PaulF
Not a great fan of cross fading and camera tricks but this routine just gets better and better thanks to the girls obvious enjoyment and having fun. 9/10

DOTD As well as Blame it on the boogie another exuberant  Rosie performance.
Paul

Re: SAY WHEN [June]

Gorgeous Daze
A few years ago Lene Lovich performed a few numbers with Thomas 'Hyperactive' Dolby. When she walked out on stage someone in the audience shouted out (in a nice way) 'are you still mad?' Which drew much laughter, apparently. This zany routine does Ms Lovich proud.

How great it is to hear those vintage electronics unleashed with gay abandon. But how on Earth or in outer space do you dance to such a trebley, frenetic, bonkers song? By having a whole lotta fun on the spot, that's how! No less than 24 carat gold legs are on display at times. This doubling and mixing and switching between two performances in two sets of costumes works a treat with the busy song. As does the vaguely futuristic sartorial weaponry. Now I love every inch of Patti but, hmm, perhaps some regions are more appropriate to focus on than others...but I think it's more that those shots just don't work well for me.

As detailed by others, it's full of enjoyable moments. What shines through and is lovely is the girls' natural sense of fun. They're all right on the button with all the faces and clowning but you get the strong impression it's much more a case of letting their hair down than the result of hard work mastering it. We've been told that Rosie was the prime comedienne and she'd bounced funny bones with Tracy Ullman. Her comedic talent is very much to the fore in this - she's fantastic! - and it's another DOTD for her.

Re: SAY WHEN [June]

We have two routine, one superimpose on the other routine. We first see four of the ladies with blue bathing suits with a gold sparkly waist bands and gold bling around their necks. The camera move out into a long shot, that brings in the other two ladies. From then on the next routine is superimposed with the first routine. So we first get a shot of the beautiful face of Pauline. We see that the ladies in blue have double to twelves with visual trick. We then get the beautiful face of Sue, then a laughing Rosie. After that Lulu doing a double take with her eyes. Then we see Gill doing a solo wearing a gold bath suit then another with Sue and Lulu. Then we get a miming counting Patti and then the three other ladies dancing away Then the hole ladies dancing together to the end of the routine.

The Dotd will like everybody else said must be Rosie.

The score will be 9 out of 10.

Re: SAY WHEN [June]

Old Grey Whistler
I didn't like this song much at first but I have to admit that it is starting to grow on me.
We see the same 3-2-1 formation that we saw previously in Sunday Girl.
Gill does a great job as the lone striker (sorry, been watching too much World Cup!) and Sue and Lulu together is a combination that always works well. There are some stand out moments. Apart from Gill's solo I like Lulu's double take and Patti displaying her numeracy.  However the stand out performer is Rosie. This routine perfectly showcases her sense of fun and she gets my vote for DOTD.
The score is 9 out of 10.

Re: SAY WHEN [June]

Mikey
Weird and yet strangely wonderful, the routine encompasses a large dose of humour whilst also alluding to the no nonsense bedroom attitude of Lene's lyrics. Musically this is a strange concoction of thumping drums and spiralling synth noises and thus right up my street, with the wayward vocal icing a delicious cake. By now the producers are really getting the hang of those overlays, and the split screen blue vs gold performances are equally good, and the close ups a real bonus, particularly Patti managing to count to 10 using only one hand. For the most part the dancing is kept simple (marching, swaying and some high kicks), but as there are multiple parts of yet another visual treat i can't grumble on that. Love the salute at the end too! 9/10 DOTD Gill

Re: SAY WHEN [June]

VintageVideos
Mikey wrote
DOTD Gill
Whew! I was starting to worry that I might end up being the one who prevented Rosie from having a clean sweep here.

Re: SAY WHEN [June]

Mikey
Its only taken me 6 months to give her a vote.

Re: SAY WHEN [June]

VintageVideos
well for me you were right on time

Re: SAY WHEN [June]

Old Bill
Say when will this god-awful song end?!

Hmmm I may have to buck the trend here I'm afraid.

This one looks great, screen full of dancers - sometimes 14 at a time - is a real treat. And the costumes are great, the blue and gold lame swimsuits?? look super too, and I can't help noticing show off the girls' figures rather well.

Lots of nice close ups, with lots of face-pulling and what have you. And some always-popular literal moves.

But there's a but. The song is unlistenable! Every time I have to hear I'm sure each member of the band if playing a different tune. If they're playing anything at all. Which doesn't help.
The aural-assault of the song then rubs off onto the dance, ending up in something that is punchy and high-energy but too punchy. The moves are all very short and sharp and staccato, almost jarring. But although that no-one's fault but the songs - Flick really couldn't have really much else with this musical-mess - I just can't get into it.

6/10 and despite Rosie's guffaws, and Patti's sums the DotD has to come from that very toothsome-twosue Sue 'n' Lu.
And with the latter's hair being bigger and bouncier than ever, it's the muscle-flexing tongue-in-cheeky Lulu.

Jeremiah 31:13

Re: SAY WHEN [June]

Adorable Gillusion
7.5/10   DOTD...Gillian