SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 28/03/1974

Seasons In The Sun
Performed by Terry Jacks and reaching number 1 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 28/03/1974 Duration of dance - 3.16 mins
Dancers: Babs, Cherry, Dee Dee, Louise, Ruth
A link to the dance:
http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=1576

When Canadian Terry Jacks made the charts in 1974 with "Seasons In The Sun", many listeners in the UK probably considered him a newcomer. Few people would have realized that four years earlier, in the summer of 1970, he and his wife Susan had already achieved a UK Top 10 single under the moniker of the Poppy Family with the song "Which Way You Goin' Billy" (UK #7, US #2). "Billy" remained the family's sole hit though, and four years are a long time in pop music, so Jacks was largely forgotten by 1974.

"Seasons In The Sun" is a song that is based on Rod McKuen's 1965 re-write of "Le Moribond", originally by Belgian singer Jacques Brel from 1962. A version by the Fortunes went to No. 4 in the Netherlands in 1969 but didn't make the UK charts. Before Jacks adapted the song, the lyrics were a bit different, as the third verse told of the infidelity of "Francoise, my trusted wife" whose lover was the friend of the narrator. Jacks replaced this verse with a couple of new lines about "Michelle, my little one".

Terry Jacks' version of "Seasons In The Sun" became the surprise hit of 1974, climbing all the way to No. 1 both in the US and the UK, eventually selling 14 million copies worldwide. It seems that Jacks never performed the song on Top of the Pops. Instead, a video filmed for the German "Musikladen" was shown on most weeks. That video wasn't yet available when "Seasons In The Sun" entered the UK charts, so it was up to Pan's People to perform a dance routine during the week that the single jumped from No. 20 to No. 3.

As the TOTP show for that week was wiped by the BBC, this is another clip that seems to owe its existence to the legendary "Private Video Library". Alas, unlike "Until You Come Back To Me" which had been aired two weeks prior, all we have here is a monochrome recording.

I'll make no bones about the fact that I am not very fond of this routine. First of all, I didn't like the song when it came out and I still don't like it now. I could never understand how this depressing record became so successful. And the performance itself isn't much better really. Granted, it may not be an easy task to think of a routine for such a song. But I wonder if the dance had to be just as depressing as the record. To begin with, there is the scenery which becomes a little too intrusive at times. What's more, I can't say I'm a fan of those dresses. I have no idea how they might have looked in colour, but I doubt they would have been much more attractive than they appear now. Finally, although I'm not all against literal interpretations, in this dance the literal moves are too much even for a die-hard Pan's fan like me. The way I see it, this routine is at least vaguely similar to the "Theme From M*A*S*H" where Flick tried to interpret a likewise depressing - and boring - record.

As this is a routine that was never really discussed here before, I have no clue what other members think of it. For all the reasons mentioned above, I cannot award more than

5.5 / 10

DotD: Louise

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 1974

PansLegs
This is a downer... the chorus is OK but the nature of the song is a ticket to depressedville and the stay is not a good one. Consequently the accompanying routine isn't exactly uplifting either and the now black & white existence of it makes the result even more downbeat.

There are some very good close-up shots even if expressions are sad and a decent amount of speed to movement in places. Things perk up slightly in the latter half with a few more smiles around but generally the performance is not one that would garner much re-watch value. As usual, Flick has done a great job of providing a routine that fits the song very well and therefore I blame the soundtrack entirely for any lack of re-playability. 3/10 Dotd Cherry for some nice smiles.

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 1974

mojo2007
from time to time glum stuff makes the charts, you will be too young to remember Tom Dooley or Green, Green Grass but they are still better than the revolting Grand-dad  and such  sentimental  items. According I will give 6 and take Cherry for her smile.

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 1974

This reminds me a bit of a Yoga tape my wife has.  It has four Yoga devotees of varying proficiency and it is noticeable that the better they are the sadder they become.  The best of them is as flexible and sad as a wet piece of string.  I digress, sorry.  I agree with the commentators so far that this Dance suffers from its soundtrack, which is mopey music.  The Black and White quality doesn't help and it's very hard to choose a DotD but Cherry does inject a little tiny piece of joy and gets my nod for it.  3/10.  I'm off to do the Downward Sad Sap.....

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 1974

One of the most depressing songs in human history this was never going to be the basis for a widely popular routine. The ladies look good in their silk pj's, which in colour (possibly rich magenta) added a little bit of pep to proceedings, but this is only a 4.5 for me with Babs my Dotd.

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 1974

I like the song and always have.The melody is lovely with a poignant lyric.I think the theme of trying to say farewell to friends & family is a universal one much like love/lost love is and everyone can relate to it in some way.Yes it is uncomfortable and sad,but if done right a song can still hit a real nerve;as this record did with 14 million people.The dance routine is interesting too.I like the many different movements in the verses followed by the 'we had joy we had fun' of the chorus.Yet another reminder if one were needed that there is much more to Pan's People than 'Get Down' & 'The Monster Mash'.Such a thoughtful and poignant routine deserves a 10/10.
DotD:Cherry

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 1974

My Idea, for this dance routine was something, a tad brighter, a kind of early morning outdoors scene and in the spring day countryside, so I feel that Flick had missed a trick here, to try & blag an outdoors shoot for this performance, but maybe, because this film's in monochrome, that I'm finding myself to be able very critical of this production.
I do like the playful scenes that these ladies play out, as if they're re-living the days, when these were typical playground activities for them, as the backing track, by Terry Jacks, seems to allude to similar events for him when he was younger(?).
I wonder if the dancers were wearing their regular colours.

8/10

DotD:-

Louise

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 1974

I not only read your informative and well researched intro once Vin, i also read it a second time. I had no idea about Mr Jacks being in the charts 4 years previously with his missus under the name of Poppy Family. On clicking the link, i can honestly say i cant recall the record at all, surprised it got so high in the charts as its not all that good is it.

As for SITS, well its far more listenable and quite a worthy number one, even if the subject of the track is rather depressing. Im not so down on the song or indeed the routine as some. There is quite a lot going on in it to keep the viewer interested, as opposed to the routine our host quotes in `M*A*S*H, in which nothing of interest happens.

I wonder what colour the costumes were, blue, green, who knows ? Thats quite a cool move by the way when the camera picks them up through the intrusive scenery at 1.37 mins on the clip. Proves Flick put some thought into this routine.

DOTD--`Louise`,although none of them had joy nor fun.

Rating--Yeah shame we dont have it in colour, but im happy to give this `7 out of 10`.

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 1974

PattiforPM
I just want to make it clear that I don't mind this song at all, in fact I bought it at the time of release.  I just don't think it was ideal Dance material.  BTW PBP I think these outfits are all the same colour, according to my monochrome vision of course, but I do like your idea of an outdoor, presumably BB-special bikini version

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 1974

VintageVideos
PattiForPM wrote
I don't mind this song at all, in fact I bought it at the time of release.
So you like mopey music!

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 1974

PattiforPM
When the mood is right Vin, yes I do

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 1974

It may have been Seasons In The Sun but early morning outdoor dancing in late March would have been above and beyond the call of duty !  As for the ladies wearing their regular colours I'm confident that they weren't and, as seems to be suggested by the monochrome copy, were all dressed alike.  I'd have seen this one back in the day and although I can't be certain whenever I do play it a rich magenta comes to mind not all that dissimilar to the colour Cherry is wearing for You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet.

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 1974

PattiForPM wrote
 but I do like your idea of an outdoor, presumably BB-special bikini version
Hi p4pm Yes the vicar sent me the bikini version of this and it's less funeral like.Copy in the post along with the full colour version of Jimmy mack. Anyway sorry vin I love this one and will review shortly.

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 1974

Gorgeous Daze
The melancholy playtime gets the tone just right, but sadly in grey the routine becomes a big downer. It feels like a heavier forerunner of Tragedy, admirable but denied by the song from having the lightening quirky edge of that one. I'm not taken with the almost clown-like costumes, but again they would no doubt improve in colour and magenta would be fine.

DOTD Cherry for spinning in a bit of relief. Not what I'd call enjoyable but the good choreography and performance deserve the credit of a 7.5/10

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 1974

Mikey
Try as they might i dont think Pans People can quite convey sadness that convincingly, and nor should they, this a tea time pop show and they are here to entertain and to that end they have got me hooked. The playground whimsy of 'joy and fun' is brought to the full in amongst the scenes of a more sombre nature, a real yin and yang performance, perhaps veering too much into literal territory yet still great to watch. At this point Louise was in her last few weeks as a Pans Person, so for that reason i'd nominate her as DOTD as she is always consistant and a great asset. As routines go id say not a classic but it has its moments and i like it, 7.5/10.

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 1974

Mikey
Noticing a grinning DLT at the start and just skimming through Popscene it seems like DLTs first few years as a presenter are all wiped bar the Xmas specials, which must have been given special protection. Is there any other known footage of his shows in 74 or 5?

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 1974

VintageVideos
A couple of his shows from 1974/75 exist as domestic recordings (which is the reason we have SITS at all). There are also a few isolated clips/inserts.

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 1974

Old Grey Whistler
I like the song. Yes it is sad but sometimes it is the sad songs that seem more meaningful.  Not an easy one to dance to though and I think Flick has done a good job with this. It is a bit literal at times but I don't mind that. The stage scenery is a bit intrusive though. This was never going to be a classic but I think it deserves a solid 8 out of 10.
DOTD is Louise.

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 1974

Thanks Vin, i hadn't realised he had done quite that many shows early on (around the same amount as Noel, Jimmy and Tony i guess), just shows how distorted the wiping makes it look.

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 28/03/1974

nope nope nope nope, I detest this song with a passion, and why Pans had to feign some form of enjoyment out of it I have no idea, and how DLT can glean some kind of happiness out of a depressing tracks beats me.  Shockingly bad, it may look better in colour, but you may find they are all wearing grey (LOL).

Scores: 2/10

DOTD: is there one, more like mourner of the day: Louise - who gives her most usage of pained expressions like she has a bit of trouble with trapped wind, rennies will sort that love (reminds me of that scene in get carter - "you got gut cramp love")