SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 28/03/1974

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 28/03/1974

JEZ
i absolutely love everything about this clip ive always always liked the song ever since terry jacks released it ,i love all the interpretation of the song that pp do ,this is up in one of my favourite surviving pp clips i have no hesitation whatsoever in awarding a definite 10 for this ,i wonder what it would look like in colour

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 28/03/1974

I have to say that this song was the first that I really hated. As an 8 year old fairly new to pop music I couldn't understand why someone would sing such a depressing song. I've mellowed somewhat over the years and I don't mind it now although it's still perfect for making you feel bad. So it's not a record you'll find on my Ipod! It appears that this was probably the last routine that PVL Ken recorded in B&W oddly after recording previous episodes in colour, I wonder if he was using two machines for a short period? As I've said before the lack of colour always detracts from their performance as the outfits were a big part of the routines. Despite all the negatives I quite like this and it's really a case of the ladies making a performance watchable 8/10.
Dotd: I think Cherry just edges Louise here.
Good to see Lloyd back!

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 28/03/1974

VintageVideos
Doc wrote
It appears that this was probably the last routine that PVL Ken recorded in B&W oddly after recording previous episodes in colour, I wonder if he was using two machines for a short period?
I've read that this episode was originally recorded in colour, but due to deterioration only a black & white signal has been able to be dubbed from the original source Reel-To-Reel.

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 28/03/1974

Doc
That's a shame, but better than nothing. It's a pity that the tapes didn't eventually find there way to Kal as they performed near miracles with the Vicar tapes. Although the results would probably have only been archived away from prying eyes. Sadly I've heard that many of the tapes are unplayable now.
Good to see Lloyd back!

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 28/03/1974

VintageVideos
Doc wrote
It's a pity that the tapes didn't eventually find there way to Kal
I thought they did!?

http://www.kaleidoscopearchive.co.uk/kaleidoscope-music-event-saturday-june-7th-talbot-hotel-stourbridge/

"6.20 TOTPVL – compilation of Top of the Pops highlights recovered from the PVL archive by Brett Leslie. The following missing performances will be included:"

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 28/03/1974

Doc
They didn't really say how the performances were acquired and certainly nothing about having the actual tapes. Although it was probably there that I heard that many of them are now unplayable.
Good to see Lloyd back!

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 28/03/1974

Andeebee
they are unplayable as they weren't stored correctly, the 2.5 inch tape does break down after a while.

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 28/03/1974

Dancer
Absolutely love this routine and until I had this in my collection I really hated the song.  It was very depressing and I always wondered who would have purchased it.  It certainly did well in America.  The outfits that the girls are wearing look really good - one presumes it is nightwear but the interpretation of the song was just beautiful.  I will award this one ten out of ten as it is one I could watch again and again and the best dancer is awarded to Babs again for her lovely Bridget Bardot looks.

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 28/03/1974

Dancer wrote
Absolutely love this routine and until I had this in my collection
It would be fascinating to know how this ended up in your impressive `collection` Dancer as this routine as far as i know is a OFTDs exclusive donated by one of us 16 months ago with no download link. It may be that you have amassed your collection with private deals here and there, if so then fine, that would explain that.

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 28/03/1974

Dancer
I never embark on private deals Ryan.

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 28/03/1974

I was just curious how this clip ended up in your illustrious collection thats all, as like i explained its only been on OFTDs for just over a year.

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 28/03/1974

Dancer
Illustrious?  I am sure yours is a lot bigger than mine Ryan.

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 28/03/1974

PattiforPM
Waits for reply....

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 28/03/1974

Doc
Not sure if we've had size comparisons on here before!
Good to see Lloyd back!

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 28/03/1974

CoffeeThing
Brilliant, this is better than old episodes of Crossroads. What a corking cliffhanger!

I must be the only person here without a collection at all and thus entirely reliant on all of you wonderful folk for my viewing pleasure. I sincerely thank all those archiving and caring for this wonderful subject matter.

This tune was inexplicably played at a school assembly circa 1977. I know not why, or at least I cannot remember, but the memory is profound. The song, and consequently watching this routine, makes the hairs on my neck stand up. 8.25 for me and Louise is DOTD for her expressive looks throughout.

Re: SEASONS IN THE SUN -- 28/03/1974

Legsfan
This must be one of the dullest Pan's People routines out there. So the ladies don't smile and have very neutral expressions throughout the routine. The ending is better, but I think that the whole routine just doesn't work with the song. Though I don't think I would listen to the song again unless I wan't to get depressed for a couple of minutes. I don't know what else I can say about this routine, but I do like Louise very much in this routine and she really catches my attention.

Rating: 5/10
DOTD: Louise