SEPTEMBER -- [January]

SEPTEMBER  Dance/performance number 144 by Legs & Co
Performed by Earth Wind & Fire  reaching number 3 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 04/01/79 Duration of dance 2.18 mins
Dancers - Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie

Pauline 129
Sue      129
Patti     125
Rosie    124
Gill       121
Lulu      120
A link to the dance http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=674

   Well to start us of in 1979, we find Legs & Co dancing to the first of three routines they performed for EWF songs in this year. Unfortunately for all fans of Sue she is on an extended Christmas break, but don't despair, she is back for the next show.The first view of the girls for this year is quite unusual, its of their rear ends as they perform a strange move which looks like they are milking cows but in a raunchy kind of way, if there is such a thing ! The rest of the routine is full of great moves, plenty of high kicks, shimmys, out stretched arms, hopping, skipping all standard Flick fayre.
   The outfits are excellent, dresses in hues of pastel. Dare i say they are fashionable now, as well as back then, though obviously im no fashion expert.  Also take a look at the golden shoes these Cinderellas are wearing, you shall go to the ball. I also don't think ive ever seen the wind machine effects so evident as they are in this, its practically blowing a gale.
   I have to admit this is a routine ive not taken to much notice of over the years, i don't know why, because its entertainment from start to finish, and that is what counts most. Infact ive been watching it a lot lately and my score rating goes up a notch every time. The song bounces along quite nicely as do our girls, with those feet together, hands by their sides jumps. I predict here and now that 1979 will be the best year for Legs & Co. This routine is not their best by a long chalk, but its still going to score well on my chart.

I will give this toe tapper a score of `9.25 out of 10`. (maybe with all six dancers this would be a ten)

Dancer of the day is simply an impossible task. I find my eyes darting all over the place watching these five beauties, each of them staking a claim. In the end i went for `Pauline`, those kicks at the end looked mighty impressive, and quite lethal too !

Re: SEPTEMBER [January] !!!

Suefan
This is a dance I have also somewhat overlooked, doubtless its Suelessness being an important factor in this, but it is a fine number and while I'm not that fond of the opening pose, or the costumes, overall it gets a 7.5 with Rosie as my choice for Dotd.

Re: SEPTEMBER [January] !!!

There's an autumnal theme here, & rather appropriate for the track title September, although of course this dance routine's out of season, but all of the same, it's a very uplifting one, not least because of the high-kicking, & the costumes blending into each other quite nicely, through the middle rainbow colours, but the set let's things down a tad, with it's almost nothingness, apart from the essential studio lighting, there's just a few, what looks like flimzy plastic sheets, suspended above the stage, just a bit higher up than the dancer's heads.

7/10

DotD:-

Rosie

Re: SEPTEMBER [January] !!!

Lookmacinanger
Talk about hitting the ground running, what a superb beginning to Legs and Co 1979 performances. We were fortunate that EW&F’s track September was sitting there mid table in the top thirty along with several other artists who’s memorable tracks are just waiting to be picked off in the coming weeks by the girls and which will give us a real flying start to this year. Although Sue is away her five team mates any fully focused and produce an inspired display which showed they could still be at the top of their game without their on field leader. 10/10, Dotd Lulu

Re: SEPTEMBER [January] !!!

rather pleasant start to 1979, sans Sue, but I won't mark it down because of the no show from Sue...overall a decent romp and kick through the leaves of September (you can sing along on another thread).

So for me I find this charming and a great start to 1979.....ask me again in a few weeks when we view Cool Meditation, if it was a good start and/or a bad end to the month.

Scores on ADB's doors - 10/10 - even with Sue not there, which i would of marked down for, but I won't do that.

DOTD: hard one, shall i go for Patti, nope this time I will go for the sleek defrizzed panther that is Pauline, grrr she does look nice in this (if you are reading this Pauline - sorry)

PS: I think the majority of the views on DM are mine, kept rewatching.....nice

Re: SEPTEMBER [January] !!!

Angie
Last night was the first time I'd watched this routine.......and I like it!

Great tune, and I agree that the opening shot is a bit strange......but turns into great routine.....lots going on, wonderful costumes & nice use of the wind machine.

8/10......(would have been 9 if Sue was present).

DOTD: Rosie

Re: SEPTEMBER [January] !!!

sueforever
We have a great start to 1979. With a great uptempo song from Earth, Wind and Fire. The routine open up on the ladies wiggling behinds. Then the ladies into overdrive with wonderful high kicks and over great movement through out the routine. The ladies are wearing nice pastel coloured dresses. It is a shame that Sue isn't in the routine, but the other ladies do a great performance.

The Dotd could have been any of the ladies, but two stood out for me. These were Patti and Rosie who did some nice solos. So I will say the lady with black hair Miss Patti Hammond.

The score must be 8 out of 10.

Re: SEPTEMBER [January] !!!

You thought the Grinch had settled back into his cave didn't you?  Well no, I'm still here and I am a bit disappointed in this performance I must say.  It's a fantastic bright and beaty Dance song and I just don't think the Dance quite matches up.  The costumes are particularly at fault in my book; the dresses resemble mal-folded kilts and are not consistent with the pleasing top-half design in my opinion.  Then there is the dark tights and light shoes thing which I'm not really keen on either and the result is that the combo acts as beauty-concealment.  Then the Dance and some of it is jolly and light but all this bending over behaviour seems a bit unnecessary.  I know I'm being a bit hypercritical but I had expected a real classic to this great music and it just doesn't happen for me so I can't help myself and what could have been a 9 is actually a 7 for me.  From the waist up all the ladies look as lovely as we have come to expect but I am drawn to Patti and her expressiveness so she must be my DotD.  The Grinch apologises to his favourite Dance Troupe and his homies

Re: SEPTEMBER [January] !!!

A great start to the year with such an uplifting song.The lighting and the pastel coloured costumes give a lovely late Summer/Autumn look.There was an unusual start but i like it.I love all the high kicks,twirls and skips throughout the dance.There are some tricky moves here like when Rosie skips backwards and twists at the same time.I think my favourite segment is when Gill and Patti do a high kick,then Pauline and Lulu come forward and skipping apart followed by Rosie twirling. All in all a most enjoyable routine.
10/10
DotD:Rosie

Re: SEPTEMBER [January] !!!

AC/PD
SuPaLu's correct about the song providing a lovely, uplifting start to the year, which began with heavy snow throughout the country, playing havoc with the F.A. Cup Third Round fixtures where only three survived.
As Mike Read says, the dance routine and song does indeed warm us up. Plenty of perky moments such as the various spins and effortless high kicks.
Although they look heavy, the dresses are suitably split to allow for the aforementioned kicks and the varying pastel colours of each look nice enough.
The ladies must have had a clean start to the year because not only does the dance action where they appear to be wringing out a damp cloth make an appearance, they also appear to start off with the Shake 'n' Vac dance.
Difficult to pick a DOTD. Lulu and Pauline lead the way for a half each whilst Rosemary and Patti get their moments.
8/10
DOTD : Slinky Pauline

Re: SEPTEMBER [January] !!!

Colm
A great start to '79, even if Legs' very own Miss September is absent. I love the intricacy of the spins and kicks.

Score: 9

DotD: I'm most drawn here to Rosie

Re: SEPTEMBER [January] !!!

Mikey
Finally after weeks of waiting a new Legs and Co routine to kick start a new year. Its a lively and vibrant routine contrasing with the muted autumnal outfits and set decor. Its a good track but i prefer Boogie Wonderland.

Nice opener to the year, 7.5/10 as i'm sure there will be more interesting routines coming up (well i know there will be )
DOTD Pauline

Re: SEPTEMBER [January] !!!

PaulF
Even though there seems to be a little something missing this is still enjoyable to watch and a routine worthy of 8/10.
DOTD Lulu.
Paul
Stu

Re: SEPTEMBER [January] !!!

Stu
Where's Sue? I hope she's got a note for missing the first day back at school.  Great start to the year with a very enjoyable song and routine.

9/10

DOTD - Pauline

Stuey

Re: SEPTEMBER [January] !!!

VintageVideos
Good dance but I'm not very fond of the costumes and the rear wiggling. Nice start for the year and certainly much better routines ahead of us.

8 / 10

DotD: Rosie

Re: SEPTEMBER [January] !!!

Gorgeous Daze
The song is a compilation staple, but it isn't on my disco playlist. And suitably I find this one of the most disappointing disco routines thus far. It has a January feel, lacking a certain sparkle. As if anything more glitzy would be out of step with the dreary come-down returning to normal following the party season. The dark, rather austere, set doesn't aid the cause. I'm not taken by the dresses, which are in shades - presumably to symbolize the onset of autumn - that are more suited to soft furnishing than the disco. And like P4PM I will be a retrospective Gok Wan and opine that the dark tights and silver shoes combo is a no, darlings. It has a funny opening that looks like they're doing a spot of formation floor cleaning. Gill, Patti and Lulu reprise this later in side-view and it's quite a cute detail. The dancing is more than acceptable with good high-kicks aplenty and competent spinning, especially from my DOTD Rosie, who looks the most up for it. I can't quite put my finger on why it doesn't ignite for me, but Lulu is unusually reserved and nor does Patti seem to perform with quite her normal relish. An occasional absentee doesn't usually affect my enjoyment, but I do miss our Sue this time.

Too much earth, sufficient wind, not enough fire. 6/10

Re: SEPTEMBER [January] !!!

Old Bill
A lively start to the year, and even though there's no Earth or Fire visible there's certainly a bit of Wind there, judging by the way the curling perms are being blown around. Someone leave the studio doors open?

Yes, the opening is a bit odd and that particular movement pops again a bit late. I wonder if there's a technical term for it?

Lots of nice kicks, twirling and effortless gliding and strutting about. It's nice to see everyone with a different job to do coming together as a team.

Not sure about the dresses though. The zoom in on Patti's bum is completely wasted! No hot-pants here Mr Cameraman!

7.5/10 and Rosie for DotD
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: SEPTEMBER [January] !!!

Old Grey Whistler
I am not a big fan of EW&F but I have to admit they did produce suitable music for Legs & Co to dance to.
From an unusual starting position they produce a fine dance, with lots of high tempo movement and each of the dancers gets a good amount of camera time.
A good way to start the new year and it gets a score of 9 out of 10.
DOTD is difficult as they all perform well, but I am drawn most of all to Rosie so she gets my vote.

Re: SEPTEMBER [January] !!!

bucksby
I didn't like the costumes either a bit bland for me. However the song and the dance are pretty good. Loss of points for no Sue but 8 for the dance & DOTD Rosie

Re: SEPTEMBER [January] !!!

Doc
A pretty good dance without being anything exceptional. I'd still be happy to watch this many more times 9/10
Dotd: Pauline and Lulu ran close for this but I'm going to go for Rosie again.