SEXY EYES [April]

SEXY EYES  Dance/performance number 213 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Dr.Hook  reaching number 4 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  10/04/80  Duration of dance 2.27 mins
Dancers--Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Pauline 193
Sue      192
Rosie    190
Patti     187
Gill       186
Lulu      184
Links to the dance

DM-http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2opmyj_legs-co-sexy-eyes-totp-tx-10-04-1980_creation

Blog-http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=434

Well for the second week in a row Legs & Co don more super short dresses. But this time with the wind machine set to `light breeze` the mood is more mellow and gentle compared to the overtly flirtatious offering that so delighted us from 7 days previous.This is the only occasion that Legs danced to Dr Hook as the band often made it into the TOTPs studios themselves to perform, indeed the New Jersey outfit appeared performing this only two weeks previously. Ive often thought to myself that this simplistic routine was a replacement, but i've studied the charts and i can find no obvious candidate it replaced (though i concede i'm rubbish at spotting them).

I wonder how Flick decided that it was the `back from vacation` Patti & nicely crimped Rosie who had the sexiest of eyes and would take star billing in this ? I imagine them all drawing straws, though that obviously wouldn't have happened.

For DOTD there can only really be two candidates PH & RH. Yes they are hard to split so i'm going for `Rosie`. I'm a sucker for blue eyes and also the girl needs a bit of help in 1980 DOTDs (oh and Rosie did give us some smiles). At the risk of taking flak from the Patti squad, her demure sultry style, although sexy, does sometimes not radiate warmth.

Rating-Though the dancers look stunning and easy on the eye, the routine itself is quite basic and dare i say nothing to special. I'm not a fan of all the stills, the slow-mos and certainly not the net curtain wafting at the end (classic Flick that). Though i do admit the routine fits the song perfectly. I'm at about `7.5 out of 10` for this.

Re: SEXY EYES [April]

Colm
To me, Patti and Rosie's roles in the two verses is complementary - Patti represents the initial lonely character we find in the first verse, while Rosie reflects the lovestruck resultant character in the second verse.

Love the stills, love the simplicity, love the costumes - I just love this routine.

Score: 10

DotD: I'm #TeamPatti, purely for those two beautiful glances back at the camera during the rotation sequences in the chorus.

Re: SEXY EYES [April]

This is another of those songs I would pass over if it wasn't accompanied by the most bodacious Dance Troupe on Earth.  The ladies look just fantastic here and of course the two principals are, by the nature of our format, in competition, even though they both contribute tremendously to the enjoyment of this fine spectacle.  The dancing is rather gentle and fits the song to a tee.  OK I'll get right to it now: Patti looks the absolute bomb here.  These are precious moments for any Patti aficionado and she is my DotD for this majestic performance full of loveliness and grace.  The Usain Bolt pose seals the deal.  Yohan Blake was darn good too though of course. As for the Dance itself, I will award 9/10 as I love to watch it but I don't quite rank it with the ultra-elite and I agree the latter portion with the mosquito netting is not quite as fine as the earlier portion from my vantage point.

Re: SEXY EYES [April]

This is a great example, of how one should be using visual effects, as despite all of the tinkering with what's available to the producers, it doesn't impede on our enjoyment at all, or at least not mine anyways, & in fact, my viewing experience is greatly enhanced, the camera angles, the quarter-screens, & the lighting are fantastic, & the close-up camera shots, are some of the greatest that I've seen of Legs & Co.
Yeah, their dresses are skimpy, but tasteful, & I like that after-dinner dance look, of the group camera shots.

9/10

DotD:-

Rosie

Re: SEXY EYES [April]

I like the song and I like this routine, what with its quiet, calm inducing movement, counterpointed by those temperature raising outfits, while the fine use of visual effects adds an interesting angle to the scene.
Once again Flick's sideline as a wholesaler of net curtain material comes in handy and I'm at an 8 for this one, although if Sue had played a leading role then its likely I'd have given this at least another half point, but she wasn't so I haven't.  Either Patti or Rosie could be Dotd as both give us great little solos but in the end I'm swayed by the more ebullient Rosie.

Re: SEXY EYES [April]

PattiforPM
I know the bowling is good but still tough to see another wicket fall so early on..

Re: SEXY EYES [April]

Suefan
Yes, despite previous promises I'm still a candidate for the Primary Club.  Not that I'm not a member already.  Will have to wear said tie, if I can find it, at the next OFTD's get together!

Re: SEXY EYES [April]

brandonb
10/10 - DOTD: Patti

After annoying video effects getting in the way for several weeks as Paperboyplod said here's how it should be done. Pretty much all through this the video artistically compliments the dancing without getting in the way or being in your face. Overall I can find very little wrong here. I even quite like the netting play towards the end. The outfits are sexy as per the dancing which is only right for a song called "Sexy Eyes". So all is pretty much perfect as far as I'm concerned. Very hard to choose between Patti and Rosie but Patti had a slight edge for me so I'm siding with her - but a very close thing.

If I had to try harder to find a niggle - the song - I don't really like it much. Also ending on 4 stills of Rosie - think it should have ended either with dancing or with 2 panels of still and 2 panels of dancing as is in the rest of the song. Overall then despite these very minor issues I think it still merits a full 10/10.

Re: SEXY EYES [April]

Perfect and so simple, yet utterly appealing.  Just 6 girls on a brightly lit stage and simple yet sexy costumes.

I find the simple routines more effective and the most rewarding.

Subtle and dripping with allure coupled with teasing glimpses. What more does a grown boy want, I ask you?

Not much else to say. Superb.

Score: 10/10

DOTD: now I'm not sure, first it was Patti and her sad come hither eyes, or Rosemary with her dazzling smile and wind swept hair.  Oh the choices. I plumped for the dazzling and sadly neglected Rosemary

Re: SEXY EYES [April]

LOL, how many tens is that this year Andee. I make it 7 out of 15. You are one mighty generous guy. The kind of guy who would get the first round of drinks in maybe

Re: SEXY EYES [April]

The kind of guy who would get the first round of drinks in maybe
is that a challenge

Re: SEXY EYES [April]

LOL, how many tens is that this year Andee. I make it 7 out of 15. You are one mighty generous guy."/>
got at least one more before the break......

Re: SEXY EYES [April]

The dancing is fine,and the technical aspects like the stills and video over-lays enhance the routine and don't get in the way which i think happened with 'Disco Inferno'.9/10
DotD:Rosie

Re: SEXY EYES [April]

Only one Andee... I'll be catching you as there are four more maximums in my locker before the strike!

Re: SEXY EYES [April]

Remarkably im finding it very difficult to shell out maximums for 1980. I do have a couple or three left in my locker though. Its not that the performances have dipped in quality, i just find myself now more reserved in what i decide gets the the max from me. For example, i just could not at any stage give the same award of ten to `DPIDFI` and then give the same award of ten to `Sexy Eyes'.

Re: SEXY EYES [April]

bucksby
love this, some of the freeze frames may come across a bit on the cheesy side. All girls look stunning, naturally a toss up between Patti & Rosie for DOTD, Rosie just shades it. Routine a 9

Re: SEXY EYES [April]

PaulF
8/10, would have been a maximum if Flick had given all the girls a nice close up but Patti mesmerised me with her sexy eyes  and wins my Dotd.
Paul

Re: SEXY EYES [April]

Suefan wrote
Only one Andee... I'll be catching you as there are four more maximums in my locker before the strike!

Well I was undercutting myself of course there's more

Re: SEXY EYES [April]

Gorgeous Daze
A tale of two halves, four quarters, and a fraction of skirt. Very sexy flimsy little numbers, which to my eyes look likely to come apart no sooner than the two love birds have got together. The girls are moving in a closed circle of friends locking out the lonely Locorriere. They're the first on the floor, shuffling, giggly, deceptively self-conscious. Has one spied a bearded hunk? The night is young...and hope springs eternal.

Oh Patti. Don't feel sorry for Loverboy. A  glancing, nuanced, fine display culminating in a spin at the point of revelation. Rosie takes over with aplomb, bringing that special flowering of happiness seen in a girl her age. She's so delightful it tempts my loyalty. Really. The celestial purple spectrum harmonizes very well with the dresses. In motion the effects layer more sympathetic sparkle, but I do question the point of minimizing into quarters when the shots are all the same. The freeze-frames are dated and clunky, disrupting the mellow flow.

Despair turns into hope turns into reality, so we go into dream-time with wafting slow-motion. Yeeess...but it rather drifts to a conclusion when it might have snapped out of it. A beautiful smile at least brings some succour to and protection from the Mafia, but three girls remain tantalizingly out of reach. You win some, you lose some. Better luck next time. I've got Patti. DOTD.

In a sense this has enough to burst the mercury off the decimal scale, more objectively it's 8.5/10

Re: SEXY EYES [April]

It can be a very subjective business this scoring malarky.... and I'm reasonably confident that one of my upcoming M's will be the only one the said routine gets, but we shall see.