SHAKE IT DOWN

  Shake It Down was a #12 Hit for Mud in 1976 and was a foray into Disco Land for the previously prominent Glam Rockers.  Ah Mud glorious Mud; I was a fan, I must admit, and I loved Tiger Feet to bits, like a million or so others in 1974.   Mud were front man Les Gray, guitarist Rob Davis, bassist Ray Stiles and Rob Mount on drums.  It was born in hopping Surrey in the late 1960s but caught fire with Mickey Most’s RAK label and then ChinniChap and the familiar Teddy-Boy gear in 1973.  After splitting from Nicky and Mike in 1975 they were not quite as hot and the Hits gradually dried up as they searched for a Glam-Morph.  Shake It Down was written by the group’s own Stiles and Davis.  Sadly Les Gray died in 2004 and Rob Mount in 2006.  Mr Stiles continues to play with the Hollies at last count and Mr Davis has perhaps had the most success,  producing and writing successfully (largely in the Dance genre) and wrote Can’t Get You Out of My Head for Kylie Minogue for example and collaborated extensively with a certain Mr Oakenfold.

                    SHAKE IT DOWN      -   Mud                                May 20th 1976

                                              DANCER:     Cherry

 LINK:    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26bll3_ruby-flipper-shake-it-down-totp-tx-20-05-1976-03-06-1976_creation

  I think I’m out of the closet already but I’ll come clean again; I can’t resist Cherry in almost any guise and I know some people are immune but I don’t want that vaccine, preferring to remain vulnerable to the natural disease.  I think in this 30 seconds or so of ‘shaking it down” she is able to dominate the proceedings sufficiently to largely eclipse her accompanying band.  It’s full of sexy, sassy movements and I strain to try to see her lovely features as they remain tantalizingly out of screencap range for the most part.  The mane is everywhere and the dress is tantalizing too and suits the lovely lady well.  I just wish the Mud boys had stayed home but it was not to be and I can therefore only award 8.5/10 and I’m sure you won’t all agree but then that would not be such fun.  Or would it?

Re: SHAKE IT DOWN

Yes this was played to death on TOTPs back then, but i really don't mind the song to much. I agree that it would have been a nice one for Cherry to dance to this as a solo, imagine 3 minutes of Cherry hair swishing !

Its a tricky old job trying to come up with a score rating to this. Cherry is probably on screen for less time than our mate Floid was in his accompaniment with Ms Charles, but the score rating for that was diabolical to say the least.

I guess on the plus side for Cherry is that she far easier on the eye than Floid and she is female, and darn attractive at that, which helps and this song is far better listening.

Oh go on then, i will award our want-away girl a score rating of `7 out of 10`

Re: SHAKE IT DOWN

There's not really much  that I can say about Cherry's performance here, she only fleetingly interrupts the camera time enjoyed by Mud, but at least when we do see her, (although if you blinked, then quite literally, you miss her), wearing that fiery-looking costume, she looks rather sultry, & especially during her latter appearances, when she's dancing somewhatmore frantically.
I would've rated this dance routine higher, if Cherry played a greater part than she actually did.

Re: SHAKE IT DOWN

Andeebee
Prefer to spend a minute looking at Cherry rather than two mins of Les Gray.

Not much to say, so so end of a career Mud track, lots of hair swishing (does that for me as well), Cherry looking divine.

ADB's scores on the doors: not gonna be a stick in the Mud, but 7/10 - would be more if this was three mins of frantic hair swinging.

Re: SHAKE IT DOWN

Suefan
Cherry looks gorgeous but that aside this isn't shaking anything so just a 5 from this viewer.

Re: SHAKE IT DOWN

PattiForPM
Thanks for the comments lads.  I thought this one might bring mixed emotions and so it proves.  I hope there are others willing to pitch in however as surely Cherry deserves some consideration for trying to elevate this ditty

Re: SHAKE IT DOWN

PattiForPM
I know we're living in the Year of the Lulu but please friends don't forget to comment on the Group in which she got her first break

Re: SHAKE IT DOWN

Andeebee
you have my full attention Sir

Re: SHAKE IT DOWN

bucksby
good track and Cherry looks fab. Problem is we dont see enough of her. As for Cherry herself I certainly will not hold anything against her despite what she said in the book, she is a great dancer and I am sure is a lovely person and she is entitled to her views. I just hope mud doesn't stick (ho ho!) Btw Les Gray dies in 2004 not 2002

a mark for Cherry? how about a 7

Re: SHAKE IT DOWN

PattiForPM
Thanks Bucksby for the comments, your impartiality and for the Les Gray correction too.  Not sure where I got 2002 from except perhaps a fast deteriorating number of grey cells.   I'll amend the first post accordingly.  More corrections and comments would be more than welcome

Re: SHAKE IT DOWN

Mikey
Is this Muds attempt at disco then?, its certainly quite a lively track by them and not at all what i would have expected.

The line "foxy lady over there...." who on earth could that be then, ah yes its Cherry dressed in spanish garb and shaking her rather substantial hair. I'm not convinced Cherry is actually there live, but mixed in later to liven up the performance. Whether it really adds anything is a moot point, i mean you could do this to any performance really, although not sure with bands its as useful as solo acts. Still its good to watch Cherry any time so i can't complain really 6/10.

Re: SHAKE IT DOWN

VintageVideos
Earlier in that show we couldn't resist Patti's face, then Cherry, Patti & Lulu were singing silly love songs, and finally Cherry all on her own shaking it down. A good portion of Ruby Flipper in that episode!
As has been said before, the Cherry sequences are far too few and too short to rate this highly, but what is shown is impressive. The song is not exactly my favourite by Mud, but it's ok. All in all I would give this

7 / 10
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: SHAKE IT DOWN

PattiForPM
Cheers guys.  Yes Vin, that 20th May Show was a exclusively RF female and I'm not complaining either.  Mikey I too was straining to see Cherry off to the side somewhere in the Mud shots by I think it was almost certainly mixed in afterwards and someone got the recipe wrong.  Incidentally I notice a lovely black lady with David Hamilton on the intro of this piece who looks a little older than the usual audience member.  Does anyone know if she's a performer?  (or do I need to take my ageometer into the shop for recalibration again)

Re: SHAKE IT DOWN

Lookmacinanger
Mudslinging never goes out of fashion and fortunately Les Gray provides enough of the brown stuff to keep us well supplied. Did they look like successfully making a transition with this attempt to jump aboard the train heading to disco Ville? Rod Davis could have continued wearing his dresses but the sight of Les huge belt straining to hold back his excess waistline certainly didn’t go with their new sound.
Cherry made a superb effort with this assignment and brought a real energy to her performance just delighted her efforts were overlaid on to Mud’s appearance afterwards. 8/10

Re: SHAKE IT DOWN

ok I do think the flipper comments is the hardest to run - so variable and less than a year

likes :
its cherry
song although this is not in the league of tiger feet which is an awesome classic
cherry does not get mauled or touched by mud
raunchy movements from cherry

loses marks for :

have to wait a whole minute until we see cherry
not enough cherry and too much mud
no bikini version
cherry's costume not really in line with the mud glam rockers
Conclusion :
6 but a pro job for cherry under less than favourable circs

Re: SHAKE IT DOWN

Colm
Cherry does a grand job, and for me, enhances the performance.

Score: 8

Re: SHAKE IT DOWN

Gorgeous Daze
By 76 all bands associated with glam needed to reinvent themselves, and I think this was a good, fresh sounding, stab at disco from Mud. There was life in the old dogs yet, and though they probably knew the big time was over this gave them a respectable run in the charts and they weren't to know they were doomed to drown in the sea of new wave along with their faded contemporaries.

They were never dull to watch, but still this decidedly benefits from a light sprinkling of Cherry spice now that Rob Davis is over his dress phase. The flamenco style of her's is ideal for the carnivalesque middle eight. And with the most hair to swish she was the right choice for this part in which she performs, thankfully facing the camera, with sultry perfection. It was also a good decision to have Cherry mixed in rather than on stage. It makes it more heady, as if she's shaking it down live from the samba.

I don't feel I should go higher than 7/10 because there's not a lot in terms of a routine, but I can't fault this.

Re: SHAKE IT DOWN

Old Grey Whistler
This song isn't one of Mud's finest but it is okay. We don't see a lot of Cherry, but she makes the most of what camera time she has, and appears to be doing her best to win herself a shampoo and conditioner advert.  At least we get a proper view of her unlike the miniaturised Floid in Love me like a lover.
I will score this 7 out of 10.

Re: SHAKE IT DOWN

PattiForPM
Thanks again for your comments friends.  Seems there is a concensus that Cherry wrings every last drop of quality out of this Mud outing so I say well done young lady.  Are there any more comments before the unceremonious unpinning occurs?

Re: SHAKE IT DOWN

Doubleday
PattiForPM wrote
I can’t resist Cherry in almost any guise and I know some people are immune but I don’t want that vaccine, preferring to remain vulnerable to the natural disease.
Don't you mean If there's a cure for this, I don't want it