(SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE) SHAKE YOUR BOOTY

This KC & the Sunshine Band song was written by the usual Harry Wayne “KC” Casey and Richard Finch partnership and was their third consecutive US #1 and also had the distinction of being the only US #1 repeating the same word more than 3 times, for you trivia buffs.  I did a little research on the word “Booty” (some of it fruitless as you may suspect) as I wondered if this was one of the earliest song titles to contain it (of course it is rare to find a song that does not nowadays!) but I was not able to find out for sure.  Apparently the word goes back to the 1920-30s and is probably derived from the word buttocks.  I also found out during my booty search that KC and Mr Finch wrote most of George McCrae’s hits including the massive Rock Your Baby, which was apparently in too high a register for KC himself, hence the gift.  But I digress…

   (SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE) SHAKE YOUR BOOTY  -  KC & the Sunshine Band          August 5 1976

     DANCERS:   Floid, Lulu, Patti, Phil, Sue

  LINK:  http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26ad6m_ruby-flipper-shake-shake-shake-shake-your-booty-totp-tx-05-08-1976_creation

     Well I’m going to come right out and say it; I love this one.  I love the song, which would surely get a corpse out on the Dance Floor and I love the tightly choreographed formation dancing sections.  The girls look fantastic, the lads give a great performance and I like the balance of the two skirted ladies, two betrousered guys and the cute Lulu in short shorts.  The little acting sections are great with Floid and his “very well” and Sue and her pointing at Patti as the “best in the World, I can tell” and then there’s “Ryan’s favorite bit” which I’ll let him talk about.  I absolutely love the section where they advance as a quintet towards us then gradually retreat shimmying in unison too and the moves to the chorus are fantastic.  For me this one has no flaws at all and I have to give it 10/10.  I have agonized over DotD and would like to give it to all three ladies but in the end I have to give it to the Dancer in pole position, the hypnotic Patti Hammond

Re: (SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE) SHAKE YOUR BOOTY

Ahh KC & The Sunshine Band, always considered a guilty pleasure by elitist musicologists, but me I don't care, I love the sound of sunny Florida and have most of their output in my CD collection.
Disco records are always a treat to dance to, and this is no exception. Our girls & boys do seem to enjoy their performance. Yes it's fun and stimulating to watch. This includes some real booty shaking and little Lulu (again) singing along. Aww, ain't she cute?
The routine does not quite have the class for a tenner IMO, but I like it enough for 9.5/10.
DotD: Sue

And one final note, both Parliament and Sly & The Family Stone released (different!) songs with the title 'Loose Booty' in 1970 and 1974 respectively. The Parliament track was covered by Funkadelic in 1972. So this expression had some 'funk' history if you like.

Re: (SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE) SHAKE YOUR BOOTY

Oh yes. One of the best from the Ruby Flipper dance-book. Plenty of activity that thankfully doesn't just centre around the title of the song, and so many stand-out moments packed into a short space of time!

I too love the "best in the world" pointing moment - mind you, Sue's twirls just before that moment certainly give her credentials for being "best in the world" too.

It's a shame the audience give up on their moves as the song progresses - I bet if Flick could have been in two places at the same time, they'd definitely keep up the pace.  I also feel for Phil as he doesn't get a proper close-up during the routine.  Because of those two slight niggles, I'll have to dock half a point...

...leaving my score at 9.5

DotD for me is Lulu - sweet, sassy and singing away to her heart's content! When the camera focuses in on her around 1:45, it's truly glorious.

Re: (SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE) SHAKE YOUR BOOTY

SuPaLu
One of my favourite Ruby Flipper dances.I like the audience participation,and that they have the whole studio floor to dance on.It's a glorious piece of music,with some wonderful dancing,and simply makes you feel good.I think they all do a great job in this,and project such joy it's infectious.If i could give it more i would,but 10/10 will have to do.DotD - Lulu.

Re: (SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE) SHAKE YOUR BOOTY

   Cor blimey, first Vin gives us a real cracker in `Barbados` now PattiforPM comes up with this absolute belter, we have certainly been spoilt this week, but thanks guys, two great choices. This has long been a favourite routine of mine and yes i reckon even i could get up and shake my derriere to this. Theres so much to like. The large dancing area is used to the max, has any routine ever been performed over such a large area, dont remember Legs dancing with such ample space.
   The camera panning in on super-cute Lulu with her cheeky smile is a moment to behold, but even better she turns and gives that booty a rigorous shaking, turns back round again and gives us another grin. Its 3 second moments like that, that make being a fan of this stuff so worthwhile.
  Yep all 5 silver clad participants are on top form in this. Its been another long held view of mine that this particular gang of five looked more the perfect mixed troupe, rather than the original seven. This set of dancers finished of the RF stint and in those routines looked pretty sharp.
   Now PattiforPM, you know full well Sue was pointing at all the dancers in the part were the "Best In the World" lyrics were sung, not just PH.

   Dancer of the day. It seems like ages and ages ago i voted for my fav Sue and im feeling rather guilty about it. But i have to give it to the cutey-pie princess herself Lulu, for those super images.

  A rating of 10 out of 10 is what i award to this fine performance from that golden summer.

Re: (SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE) SHAKE YOUR BOOTY

Sue

nuff said LOL

Re: (SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE) SHAKE YOUR BOOTY

The dress code seems to be silver, for all dancers here, & shaking one's backside, is obviously the way to go, it's just a shame that the studio audience had to get in the way at every possible opportunity, but Lulu just looks so cute in this routine.

7/10

DotD:-

Lulu

Re: (SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE) SHAKE YOUR BOOTY

Thanks for your votes and comments friends.  A very popular performance as I suspected; after all what's not to like?  Interesting the way the audience seems to fatigue as some of you have mentioned.  From my point of view it's great to see the audience moving to the music but not getting grabbed to obscure the main action.  I know I was a bit naughty implying that Sue was picking on Patti as best in the world but I have to be allowed some poetic licence as host.  Thanks Vin for the historical Booty clarification, somehow I thought you might be the man for the job!  Any more comments would be much appreciated

Re: (SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE) SHAKE YOUR BOOTY

A most enjoyable dance with everyone on such fine booty form that picking a DotD is beyond me.  There is a nice feel good fluidity to the routine which gets an 8.5 from me.

Re: (SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE) SHAKE YOUR BOOTY

PattiForPM
I do agree with you SF, picking a winner was nigh on impossible in this one.  I must admit I'm going with where my eyes are drawn in some of these and that's going to give Patti a few extra votes!  I'll start the tables for which Dancers each Member has chosen soon, as Vin and Ryan have done.

Re: (SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE) SHAKE YOUR BOOTY

  Your loyalty towards Patti is to be admired P4PM. Alas seems im not the fan of Sue i thought i was. Out of 21 Legs dances from the 3 years we have done in DOTD, ive nominated her only twice, and if i combine the Pans & Ruby dances she appeared in, ive selected her once out of 8 dances.
   Altogether that a crumby 3 votes out of a possible 29. To think i was once accused if being biased towards her !

Re: (SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE) SHAKE YOUR BOOTY

BeautifulBabs
7.5 I like it but...........
Audience on same level as the girls and boys and distracting efforts like grandparents at wedding dancing.
Funky Phil doesn't do it for me in this - sort of poundland version of John Travolta
Bit too much of a girls and boys at a disco routine - a lot of the moves static
Lulu is lovely but who put her in the back row in her hotpants ?

dotd Lulu just love her look and her hair- she was the real change in look that Flick brought with the Flipsters

Re: (SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE) SHAKE YOUR BOOTY

PattiForPM
beautifulbabs wrote
Audience on same level as the girls and boys and distracting efforts like grandparents at wedding dancing.
LOL  - priceless BB thanks!

Re: (SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE) SHAKE YOUR BOOTY

BeautifulBabs
you're welcome p4pm but note that comment referred to the audience only or I'll be thrown off here !

Re: (SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE) SHAKE YOUR BOOTY

Particularly when assessed in the context on that legendary summer of '76, this is an altogether blithesome affair for participants and viewers alike. The extra floor space further enables the sense of liberty; although the studio audience seem rather camera wary! And unfortunately fair Lulu is feeling the heat more than most, that's why she was forced to wear so little. It's a good routine, varying between formation and individual flourishes. My only slight gripe is the raised hand shaking is a little too camp for the boys. The girls silver outfits are fabulous (since joining OFTDs I'm increasingly finding I've got a hitherto latent thing for silver!). I agree with Ryan that Lulu's booty moment is priceless, but I'm giving the DOTD to Sue who for me has it all this time.

8/10 for the routine.

Re: (SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE) SHAKE YOUR BOOTY

Lookmacinanger
This post was updated on .
Dotd has to be Lulu and who am I to disagree. 8/10.

Re: (SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE) SHAKE YOUR BOOTY

JEZ
Although the choreography is very good ,its never been a favourite of mine ,the most off putting thing for me is the audience ,ive never really been that keen on the dancers performing on the same level as the audience ,i really find the audience to distracting in the corner of my eye,having said that ,i do appreciate that flick tried to come up with something different each week ,and i cant knock her for that ,but it didnt really work for me when the audience got involved ,the only exeption to the rule was when legs did you gave me love ,but that is only because legs looked so stunning with their hair and outfits that i just ignore the audience and glue my eyes to legs ,that routine i would give a definite 10 out of 10 ,but get back to the subject jez ,i give ruby flipper 7 and half for shake you booty ,thanks

Re: (SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE) SHAKE YOUR BOOTY

PattiForPM
Thanks for your votes chaps.  I don't find the audience distracting here Jez but I guess it does depend on how much the performance keeps your attention.  For me Shake Your Booty is high quality and plenty good enough to keep my eyes away from the punters and the room to Dance on this relatively huge floorspace more than compensates as GD and others have said but of course you're entitled to feel differently.  I'm trying to recall if Pans People did floor dances too but apart from perhaps one of the Hot Love backing dances I can't think of any others.  Perhaps the experts can assist

Re: (SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE) SHAKE YOUR BOOTY

JEZ
yes im trying to think if i can remember any of the dances that pans did on floor level with the audience ,i think by looking that pick up the pieces may have been done on floor level with the audience surrounded ,im sure i once read that bridget the midget was danced by a member of pans surrounded by audience ,and philadelphia freedom was done on the same level ,but the audience were well out of the way and didnt move as to spoil the dance ,im sure there must have been more though than this

Re: (SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE) SHAKE YOUR BOOTY

VintageVideos
Jeepster