SHAKE YOUR BODY(DOWN TO THE GROUND) [April]

SHAKE YOUR BODY(DOWN TO THE GROUND) [April]

SHAKE YOUR BODY(DOWN TO THE GROUND) Dance/performance number 161 by Legs & Co
Performed by  The Jacksons   reaching number 4 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  19/04/79  Duration of dance/performance 2.34 mins
Dancers - Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Pauline 144
Sue      144
Rosie    141
Patti     140
Gill       137
Lulu      136
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2m00j8_legs-co-s-hake-your-body-down-to-the-ground-totp-tx-19-04-1979_school

**********THIS WILL NOT BE SHOWN ON BBC4***********
Well i have to confess this is one of those routines i hardly ever play. Why that is, im not sure. Its a decent enough song, the girls are all performing well, the white costumes are uber cute and the routine itself is very pretty to look at. I think i just find the choreography a bit to busy. How the dancers remembered what moves to undertake in this is quite an achievement. There is hardly a move that gets repeated. Its one of those 'middle ground` routines with no real standout moments, but its at the same time it makes for pleasant viewing. Its a '7.5 out of 10' from me.

For my DOTD, well i will go for the Birthday girl (from previous day) `Gillian`. Not sure what DLT was waffling on about in his outro to this. He seemed to suggest Gill was now 17, which means she would have been 14 on debut !

Re: SHAKE YOUR BODY(DOWN TO THE GROUND) [April]

Paperboyplod
It's an obvious scenario here, how can you not have the dancers quite literally shaking their bodies down to the ground, & they do this in such a way as to look very tasteful, with their cute costumes, emphasising their long legs, the stage set's fairly insignificant, the only notable features are what appears to be a tram way, that the ladies are using as their dance floor.

8/10

DotD:-

Lulu

Re: SHAKE YOUR BODY(DOWN TO THE GROUND) [April]

Frankly I am a bit shocked that this one doesn't light everyone's fire as I just love it.  The song is fantastic IMO and although I've heard before that these rather sheer short dresses don't have universal appeal I think they look wonderful and show off those spectacular legs to great effect.  I love the pairing/tripletting off and the high kicks and down to the ground moves.  THe ladies look quite radiant and my highlights are several but I have to give the highest award to Patti off whom I cannot take my eyes.  This is another one of my faves of the year and it's 10/10

Re: SHAKE YOUR BODY(DOWN TO THE GROUND) [April]

This is one of my favourite Legs dances and not just from 1979.  The choreography is intricate but works perfectly as the ladies perform one of the smoothest routines in their entire repertoire.  Those short costumes highlight the girls gorgeous legs, while so expertly performed and cleverly constructed is this routine that just over the 2.30min mark isn't nearly enough.

So a maximum 10 for this dance, and although all the ladies deserve to be Dotd it is stage front Lulu who gets my pick this time.

Re: SHAKE YOUR BODY(DOWN TO THE GROUND) [April]

Colm
I'll second Suefan's observation on the intricacy of this routine, it really suits the rhythm and goes beyond the basic message to the song. Impressive high kicks, lovely formations, and anyone else spot exacting spins from Sue in the background?

DotD: Patti - she looks stunning here, offers the camera some delightful smiles, and her solo part is divine.

Score: 9.5 - don't think it fully merits a 10 somehow, so I'll give it the next best thing.

Re: SHAKE YOUR BODY(DOWN TO THE GROUND) [April]

Terrific disco dancing from start to finish.There are so many different moves to keep the interest,and the song is great too;although at the time i didn't like it.10/10
DotD:Patti

Re: SHAKE YOUR BODY(DOWN TO THE GROUND) [April]

Lookmacinanger
Another display of pyrotechnics to light up a Thursday evening in April 1979, flawless performance to classic track. 10/10 Dotd, Lulu

( A tragedy this wasn't shown on BBC4, one of the worst casualties)

Re: SHAKE YOUR BODY(DOWN TO THE GROUND) [April]

AC/PD
Oh those legs! Full focus and concentration on the ladies performing this routine, thanks in part to an ideal background which keeps itself literal by offering no real distractions whatsoever, not fighting for attention.
This is a doubly literal performance because not only do we get the ladies doing exactly what it says on the tin, well, the song title itself, but we end up with a clear example of the troupe living up to their title. Copious amounts of Leg on display, the pairs of which are surely all from the same mould.
Very supple and adept at the high kicks throughout this Jacksons dance, as well as supporting the Co. part when performing those hip thrusts, 'those legs' are accentuated by costumes which, to these eyes, could still be worn in any subsequent decade, perhaps with a touch less skimpiness. Mind you, to these ears, the song intro sounds similar to Jonathan King's One For You, One For Me from the previous year.
The camera pans enliven this dance routine with welcome slow reverse swoops, although the stage does look a tad overcrowded on occasion towards the conclusion.
Best moment of the routine is Patti's brief standout solo, followed by the other flitting forward as if they're on tiptoes.
8/10
DOTD: Gill

Re: SHAKE YOUR BODY(DOWN TO THE GROUND) [April]

PaulF
Love this one, great costumes and intricate routine expertly executed by the girls, not quite a 10 but a 9.5

DOTD Another difficult one but Pauline kept catching my eye during this performance.
Paul

Re: SHAKE YOUR BODY(DOWN TO THE GROUND) [April]

Old Bill
Another one sadly missing from they telly and again showing what a good presenter DLT was and obviously a good pal of the girls.

Anyways, the first thing that you notice here is the LEGS of Legs & Co. This is what Elaine Coombes was talking about!! Gosh - we've seen them before, but occasionally they still take your breath away, indeed shake your body literally down to the ground.

An excellent complex dance, good team work with people going off doing their thing and half doing this and half doing that all makes for a jolly good show. The kicks, the thrusts, the "group formations" - for want of a better word and indeed the solo spots - are all brilliant. And the little mini dresses just finish it off nicely.

The song by the Jacksons' standards isn't the best, but still good enough for a fine performance from our girls.

8.5/10, but the DotD. Oh dear. Could have been Sue for her usual masterfulness. Patti or Rosie for their solos? Pauline for looking lush with her long straight hair. But I know I'm gonna hear cries of fix! and change the record! but once again it's young Miss Lulu Cartwright who catches my eye through out this. I'm not doing it on purpose, honest!
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: SHAKE YOUR BODY(DOWN TO THE GROUND) [April]

Andeebee
Clever clever routine, and a joyful watch and loadsa fun..

Long legs in skimpiest attire (check), popular disco track (check), six girls present (check), popular DJ present (check) literal routine (check) sexiness abounds (check) phwoooarrr factor (check)

Scores: 10/10

DOTD: Patti

Re: SHAKE YOUR BODY(DOWN TO THE GROUND) [April]

VintageVideos
It's Jacksons week on OFTD with two real crackers on offer (hint hint)! Such a shame we couldn't see this one on BBC4. On top of it, the YT video is blocked here (again!).
Eight years after "Mama's Pearl", the Jacksons are still going strong, and Legs & Co. perform an excellent routine with a lot of niceties. So many moments I love in this one, and the song isn't too bad either.

9 / 10

DotD: Patti

Re: SHAKE YOUR BODY(DOWN TO THE GROUND) [April]

Andeebee
VintageVideos wrote
the YT video is blocked here (again!).
Glad it isn't blocked worldwide

Re: SHAKE YOUR BODY(DOWN TO THE GROUND) [April]

Gorgeous Daze
White is my favourite shade of skimpiness and the costumes are as good as it gets as far as I'm concerned. Our eyes are inexorably drawn to the almost impossibly perfect acres of legs on display: if anybody should dance to Shake Your Body it's this lot.

This complex routine is one which brings it home just what a slick and tight unit Legs & Co could be by now. Often the angel is in the detail in Flick's choreography, like the impact of the first high-kick being amplified by coinciding with MJ's first trademark equally high 'Ooh' after the singing starts. The highlight is Patti's solo, commencing with her in consummate harmony with the strings and culminating with her back arched in a flash at the cue of a stab of brass.

Like SF my only regret with this one is it isn't longer.

10/10  DOTD Patti. Who I fancy. There, I've said it.

Re: SHAKE YOUR BODY(DOWN TO THE GROUND) [April]

PattiforPM
 or  perhaps, I'm conflicted

I knew that would soon get some kind of response from you P4PM.  I hope it helps give others the confidence to come out the closet.

Re: SHAKE YOUR BODY(DOWN TO THE GROUND) [April]

PattiforPM
I wish them all the best GD but seriously glad you're seeing Patti's vast appeal

Re: SHAKE YOUR BODY(DOWN TO THE GROUND) [April]

According to the DotD votes, I am still Patti fan No. 2!

Re: SHAKE YOUR BODY(DOWN TO THE GROUND) [April]

PattiforPM
I know Vin and the Official Patti Fan Club needs a CEO in the UK, in Europe and in N America so we're all in good shape (Ryan is gonna ban me from his Legs Threads pretty soon!)

Re: SHAKE YOUR BODY(DOWN TO THE GROUND) [April]

Mikey
We're back in familiar territory this week with another excellent slice of disco and a return to form by MJ and his brothers. Its another black and white routine, but despite the minimal visuals it still looks great thanks to the pulsating lights (real ones not orangey blobs), and the energy generated by the ladies in white. I'm always impressed by a good old high kicking move, and so this area is more than adequately catered for here, and good use of the arm raising moves on the word 'shout' which seemed to crop up frequently.

Its great exuberant fun, but perhaps not unique enough to raise it into the higher marks, score 8.5/10.
DOTD Lulu