Quantcast

SHOW YOU THE WAY TO GO -- [June]

SHOW YOU THE WAY TO GO Dance 43 by Legs & Co
Performed by  The Jacksons and reaching number 1 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  09/06/77  -- Duration of dance 2.26 mins
Dancers -- Gill,Lulu,Patti,Pauline,Rosie,Sue.

Pauline 41                       Lulu 40
Rosie 41                          Gill 39
Sue 41                            Patti 36
A link to the dance   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2WIK0tX0lI

For this viewer there are not to many redeeming features about this one. Although no criticism is to be blamed at the dancers themselves, who as ever do there best, the whole set is a mess. As shown in my screenshot above, the set is hindered by palm trees which constantly block our view of the girls. The camera seems to far away also, was that due to the fact we had audience heads also in the way. Hate the costumes, blue and green should never be seen, especially on beautiful dancers such as these.
  The song itself which got to the top spot isn't to bad. Im not going to be to favourable with my watchable ratings score as i hardly watch this one, so its a low 5.5 out of 10 on this.

Re: SHOW YOU THE WAY TO GO -- 1977

Paperboyplod
For this routine, obviously the Demis Rousos set from earlier in that particular show was re-cycled, & why not?, it saves having to build a whole new set from scratch. I think that the dancing toShow You The Way To Go is top-notch, heaps of joining of hands, referencing ome of the song lyrics, the costimes look nice as well, my only real criticisms are the palm trees that occasionally obstruct the viewing of the dancers, & for a summery desert island scene, is it so gloomy looking, it's basically a twilight zone!

Re: SHOW YOU THE WAY TO GO -- 1977

Suefan
A little too distant to score that highly for me, and for once I do find the audience something of an intrusion.

Re: SHOW YOU THE WAY TO GO -- 1977

PattiForPM
I really like the dancing here and the blue/green works for me Ryan as the ladies look quite beautiful I think.  All this makes the lighting and those darned palm trees all the more intrusive.  They really are a total nuisance in this number and were surely designed for Demis rather than our Queens of the Dance.  Then there's the song: how on Earth did this insipid song reach the top spot?  There are so many Jackson songs that are so muich better and didn't manage the #1, it's a mystery to me.  Must be about time of year or something.  Anyway I have to give Flick and the Dancers credit but there are serious flaws in this as a visual experience and I wonder if this was  the inspiration for the "I love the smell of Napalm in the morning" line?  5/10

Re: SHOW YOU THE WAY TO GO -- 1977

I have re-watched this episode of TOTPs today, and im convinced this set was made for Legs & Co. I feel they just wheeled old Demis out there and told him to perform there. Im sorry but once again im blaming FC for the set, lights, camera angles etc. I know this is considered sacrilege, but the book stopped with her. I think its just a dodgy month or so of poorish decisions, but in the end, she made considerably more good choices than bad.

Re: SHOW YOU THE WAY TO GO -- 1977

74benja81
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: SHOW YOU THE WAY TO GO -- 1977

Kace
love this routine so give it 8 outta 10 xx
ABLE WAS I ERE I SAW ELBA

XxXx

Re: SHOW YOU THE WAY TO GO -- 1977

Andeebee
4 for me, mired dance routine by weaving in and out of the audience...
Hopelessly Devoted to Sue

Stu

Re: SHOW YOU THE WAY TO GO -- 1977

Stu
There's nothing surprising on offer here, but I must see it a bit different to most as I think it's a darn fine performance. Not sure about the palm trees that get in the way at times, but it's a nice flowing easy on the eye routine.

8.5/10

Stuey

Re: SHOW YOU THE WAY TO GO -- 1977

Old Bill
Dreary song but a nice dance. A nice set but it's in the way. Everyone likes a sunset but it's kinda dark.

6/10.

Blacker's stupid name-dropping intro : -1,000,000 / 10
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: SHOW YOU THE WAY TO GO -- 1977

VintageVideos
Now, this one's really getting mixed reviews here, and deservedly so. For once I like the song, but the routine doesn't live up to it. Who on earth put those @*?!% palms there and spoiled the view on the girls? This is worse than "Sunny"! A little change in the scenery, a little more love in the camera work, and this routine could have easily made a few more points with me. Sorry but this looks like a rehearsal to me. And it will be rated as such:
5 /10

Re: SHOW YOU THE WAY TO GO -- 1977

Doc
An OK dance with very little that's memorable. One of the girls loses part of her 'grass' skirt near the end of the dance, possibly Sue, as you can see it on the floor. Another 8.

Re: SHOW YOU THE WAY TO GO -- 1977

L&C4me

I can see what was intended with the scene and it could have looked nice, just like the dancers in their lovely dresses. I believe the cameraman was picking up his glasses in the next studio, but picked up the wrong ones and went back again.
Jim

Re: SHOW YOU THE WAY TO GO -- 1977

bucksby
As I haven't rated this routine I will give it a 6. Too dark for me. shame a great song deserved slightly better treatment.

Re: SHOW YOU THE WAY TO GO -- 1977

Who's That Hurll

Demis Roussos kindly let the girls use his tropical paradise after he'd done his turn, but I'm not sure the setting suits the song.('Show You The Way To Go'- an amiable but undeserved number one for The Jacksons).Being the big lad he is, I had hoped Demis would have uprooted those two palm trees in the centre and moved them to the side out of the way.
5/10  and as Pauline cries "please please" let me be DOTD @1.06, so be it then.
WTH

Re: SHOW YOU THE WAY TO GO -- 1977

Suefan
Too dark and distant to get more than a 6.5.

Re: SHOW YOU THE WAY TO GO -- 1977

Old Grey Whistler
Yet again we have another promising routine which is adversely affected by poor production values.   I have no problem with the dancing, but the camera work is not great, and at one point you could have been forgiven for thinking that you had switched on to Gardeners World rather than  TOTP, such is the dominance of the foliage.  Having part of someone's skirt lying on the floor just adds to the sloppiness of the routine.  I will score it 7 out of 10 but it should have been much higher.

Re: SHOW YOU THE WAY TO GO -- 1977

Colm
For some reason, this screams of "Tuesday replacement". No problems with the execution of the routine, but its literal nature suggests this could have been a hasty arrangement.

Once again, the set undermines the dancing. Just what was going on in that period of 1977?

Score: 6

Re: SHOW YOU THE WAY TO GO -- 1977

Angie
I find the song a bit 'meh' but Flick & the girls have come up trumps! Good routine, set and costumes. Nice!

7.5/10

Re: SHOW YOU THE WAY TO GO -- 1977

Lookmacinanger
This post was updated on .
I assume the budget had been blown on the dresses! Looking back I appreciate the palm trees are an attempt at creating the right ambiance but to me they ended up being more intrusive. It’s a shame as this TSOP classic from The Jacksons could have been so much better. 7/10