SIGNED, SEALED, DELIVERED I'M YOURS -- 06/08/1970

SIGNED, SEALED, DELIVERED I'M YOURS -- 06/08/1970

Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours
Performed by Stevie Wonder and reaching number 15 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 06/08/1970 Duration of dance - 2.34 mins
Dancers: Andrea, Babs, Dee Dee, Flick, Louise, Ruth
Links to the dance:
https://youtu.be/eCxvD3IIA5k
http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=988

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Stevland Hardaway Morris, better known by his stage name Stevie Wonder, had first charted in the US in 1963 with a single that was released when he was just 12 years old. Billed as "Little Stevie Wonder", his record "Fingertips - Part 1 & 2" went all the way to No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 but bombed in the UK. It took three more years before Wonder (who by now had dropped the "Little") made the British charts with "Uptight (Everything's Alright)", peaking at No. 14 in March 1966. From 1966 until 1977 Wonder placed at least one single in the UK Top 30 every year.

"Signed, Sealed, Delivered" was written by Wonder, Lee Garrett ("You're My Everything"), Syreeta Wright, and Stevie's mother, Lula Mae Hardaway. Although recorded before Wonder's so called 'classic period', the song was nevertheless an important intermediate step on his way to artistic maturity as it was the first single he produced on his own.

Pan's People danced to "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" when the single peaked at No. 15. The routine is clearly classic Pan's People with all six dancers performing synchronous moves throughout. However, the theme of the song (...I'm yours!) combined with the seductive nature of this dance, performed so perfectly by our girls without ever being coarse, have made it a favourite of this correspondent during the past years. This is a routine that has steadily grown on me, a real 'sleeper' if you like. I have no idea if this dance will go down well with the rest of the gang, but I won't hesitate to award an enthusiastic rating of

9.5 / 10

DotD: Louise

Re: SIGNED, SEALED, DELIVERED I'M YOURS -- 06/08/1970

PansLegs
Another rare colour survivor from the first full year of Pans on Top of The Pops with a Motown classic providing great backing for our dancers. Dressed in midi length purple satin split skirts and matching cropped tops that reveal a mighty amount of bare mid-riff, the full line-up of six strut their stuff. An interesting set with with foil trees, clouds and blow-ups of the earth, making for a colourful backdrop.

It's the era of the elevated stage routines which provides an altogether more go-go feel to things than later material performed directly on the studio floor. Some wonderful rhythmic gyrations of the hips, shimmying and full stage movement with corresponding tracking by the camera produces a memorable visual accompaniment. Somehow the empowering of these six women in charge of their own destinies, doing exactly what they want to do really comes across in this performance. The occasional lack of unison is the only detraction. 9/10 DotD Dee Dee

Re: SIGNED, SEALED, DELIVERED I'M YOURS -- 06/08/1970

PattiForPM
Big hair abounding, copious visible midsections and boots in a hip-dominated Dance;  what's not to like?  This is indeed a real classic Pans performance and I must say Louise in her slightly lighter hair coulour is giving it that little bit extra (or perhaps a whole lot if you have the same perspective as me) and more than deserves the DotD.  The unison does get a little ragged at times ad I think Babs is dancing to a different Stevie Wonder tune in one or two places but overall this is a very good watch and I do love the outfits too.  I think 9/10  reflects this pretty well as this is one of my favourite early Pans efforts.

Re: SIGNED, SEALED, DELIVERED I'M YOURS -- 06/08/1970

Its a classic from the early Pans period with some great outfits, although I'd have preferred white boots, and the camera work is some of the best amongst these early survivors.  Consequently it adds to an already vibrant performance, especially from the front row girls who put in a cracker with Louise just getting my Dotd ahead of Dee Dee.  However, I'm not over keen on the song which I find soon palls so as a complete package I'm only going to give this an 8.5.

Re: SIGNED, SEALED, DELIVERED I'M YOURS -- 06/08/1970

One of those for me, middle ranking routines i seldom watch. Sure there are quite a few timing issues going on, but that often occurs when any dance troupe performs in a block formation. I do quite like the costumes and the spins are executed quite well, but the song isn't really my cup of tea.

As per usual, great the thing survives for us to watch all these years later.

DOTD--Think i will go with `Dee Dee`.

Rating--By middle ranking i mean 7.5ish, but on watching a second time im going to `8 out of 10`.

Re: SIGNED, SEALED, DELIVERED I'M YOURS -- 06/08/1970

Another outing for the Midnight Rider costumes, although I'm guessing that this dance routine pre-dated that one.
This performance looks like one of the back to basics types that's just dancing on a propless stage, in fairly straight forward outfits, with no fancy dress as such, but it's all made up by so many energetic limbs giving it their all.
One can really tell that the ladies enjoyed doing this sequence immensely.

8/10

DotD:-

Flick

Re: SIGNED, SEALED, DELIVERED I'M YOURS -- 06/08/1970

PattiForPM
Although I see what you mean PBP, I think you might be mistaken about the costumes, unless there had been very considerable shrinkage over the 5 years and 5 months between the two performances you mention

Re: SIGNED, SEALED, DELIVERED I'M YOURS -- 06/08/1970

SuPaLu
I particularly love the movements they do with their hips.There's an uninspired moment when all they do is walk to the back of the stage then walk to the front of the stage,but overall i think it's a fine routine.8/10
DotD:Louise

Re: SIGNED, SEALED, DELIVERED I'M YOURS -- 06/08/1970

Gorgeous Daze
Yum. The costumes make me think of a pre-wrapped box of chocolates. But inside is almost empty for me. The dance is classic early Pan's synchronized fayre - great if it tickles your fancy - but it's no secret now I'm not into it. And this song does nothing. The singer was no longer diminutive but little wonder I'm going low. 5/10   DOTD Louise.

Re: SIGNED, SEALED, DELIVERED I'M YOURS -- 06/08/1970

Mikey
Ok, yes this is a fairly typical 1970 style dance, restricted by a small dance area and a little unrefined in places with all those flailing arms and hip gyrations yet even a fairly average affair performed by Pans can ignite a spark to perk me up, and thats what counts for me, nice purple outfits too, 7/10. Louise for DOTD.

Re: SIGNED, SEALED, DELIVERED I'M YOURS -- 06/08/1970

early surviving pans in colour, not really top drawer, but a good fun routine.  Not sparking my fire really thou, but overall some good moves and a funky set, bring back twee Pans.

Scores: 7/10

DOTD: out in front with a lot of front Dee Dee

Re: SIGNED, SEALED, DELIVERED I'M YOURS -- 06/08/1970

Old Grey Whistler
A stereotypical early Pans performance and there is nothing wrong with that. The only problem being that timing issues are easier to spot in dances of this nature, and there are some here.  We don't really see enough of the girls in the back row for my liking, so DOTD has to come from the front trio and it is Dee Dee who gets my vote.
This is one of those mid range dances that I will watch occasionally, but it falls short of being a true classic so I will score 8 out of 10.

Re: SIGNED, SEALED, DELIVERED I'M YOURS -- 06/08/1970

Doc
A pleasant early Pan's dance but I feel it gets a little repetitive after a while a bit like the song. 8/10.
Dotd: Louise.

Re: SIGNED, SEALED, DELIVERED I'M YOURS -- 06/08/1970

Dancer
I did not get this one until quite late and I never really rated the routine.  The outfits never really looked ideal but the song was very good.  I will award this dance eight out of ten and the best dancer is awarded to Dee Dee as she looked beautiful here.

Re: SIGNED, SEALED, DELIVERED I'M YOURS -- 06/08/1970

CoffeeThing
Really liked this one and the tune too. All the girls were great and looked fantastic. 8.5/10 and Flick is DOTD but it could have been any one of them. Link broken on this one too but the PP Archive version is still accessible on YT.

Re: SIGNED, SEALED, DELIVERED I'M YOURS -- 06/08/1970

VintageVideos
I just checked the link and it worked for me (with a British IP).

Re: SIGNED, SEALED, DELIVERED I'M YOURS -- 06/08/1970

Everything'sRosie
I had trouble with the link too, VV. No big problem as I just accessed it from the YT page. This is a routine routine, a bit light and frothy (but I have just come direct from watching the outstanding Make It With You performance so I might not be entirely in the mood for a pop routine) nevertheless, watching this is a pleasant enough way to spend three minutes, just not very memorable. Nice silky garments though.

Marks: 7/10
DotD: Louise.

Re: SIGNED, SEALED, DELIVERED I'M YOURS -- 06/08/1970

mojo2007
 I do not want to be mean to a rare survivor , with the dancers looking lovely, but not much happening. Lets say 7 .

Re: SIGNED, SEALED, DELIVERED I'M YOURS -- 06/08/1970

Young Mister Grace
Administrator
Definitely a 1970 routine, showing the go-go dancing roots of their style: just like Green Riverm, it's mostly unison dancing, with everyone going through the same paces. And there's nothing wrong with that. Can't say I've every like the record, but they use it tolerably well. The outfits are fun and very much of the period: while the set is bafflingly bizarre.

DOTD has to be Dee Dee for extra gusto. And I'll give the routine 7 out of 10.
You've all done vey well!