SILLY LOVE SONGS

Silly Love Songs was written by Paul and Linda McCartney and first performed by Wings  in 1975 in Adelaide, Australia.  It is said to be Macca sticking his tongue out at his detractors (perhaps including his old partner in crime Mr Lennon) about writing lightweight vacuous songs.  In any case it was a multi-week #1 in the US of A and a #2 in the UK so it was certainly a commercial success.  Its claims to other fame include being included in a Singing in the Shower scene in the pilot show for Fresh Prince of Bel Air and inspiring a Valentine’s Show of Glee in Season 2.  As Sir Paul says, you’d have thought people would have had enough of silly love songs but I look around and I see it isn’t so.

           SILLY LOVE SONGS  -  Wings                                                               May 20th 1976

                      DANCERS:    Cherry, Lulu, Patti

       LINK:  http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26bm2z_ruby-flipper-silly-love-songs-totp-tx-20-05-1976_creation

  I’ll choose jaunty this time to describe the song but the highlight here is definitely the three shapely beauties on stage in their striking blue, green and red outfits.  Cherry, Lulu and Patti give us everything here from great smiles to mega hip action and I would describe them as “Ultimate English Rose”, “Cutest Girl on Earth” and “Magma Red Hottie.”  True they don’t move around the stage much but their turns and poses are perfect and just hypnotic IMO.  Lulu is charged with a couple of errors but recovers so sweetly that it doesn’t detract more than a morsel from this performance and her elder siblings are perfect.  DotD for me is clearly between the left and right wingers and I’m going for Magma (Patti as she is otherwise known) over Misty Blue.  This is 9/10 for me and is only missing one item - but she’s an important ingredient by golly.  I totally concur with Diddy in his outro - these girls have indeed made this old man very happy too.  I await your verdict with interest and some confidence I must say…

Re: SILLY LOVE SONGS

BeautifulBabs
My idea of a flipper 10 - absolutely fantastic

Likes :
no boys
outfits
hot pants
spacing of the girls makes them look different heights on a triple podium -Lulu really catches my eye here - looks like she won the gold - cherry silver and patti bronze (no offence intended Babs was retired hurt by then)
girls look gorgeous and v look at us we are the new flipper - like the combination of colours
they don't do much but it doesnt seem to matter
song is ok if a bit dull so you concentrate on the girls

dislikes
no sue but I'm not docking marks as that was the way with flipper were they mixed and matched

so 10 and dotd lulu with her best hairstyle for me

With such a great one to comment on I'll postpone my pans again p4pm - lost all my screenshots in on posting in a nabble and paint crash.

Re: SILLY LOVE SONGS

A nice & simplistic looking routine here, with just three dancers, but of them raise their game enough to provide anything that a full slate of Ruby Flipper dancers even could do, we have three different coloured costumes on display, & there's some very cute looking derrière wiggling taking place throughout the routine.

9/10

DotD:-

Lulu

Re: SILLY LOVE SONGS

A little quirky, but not too much.  Skimpily costumed, but just enough.
This could have been right there amongst my top favourites from the Flippers.  Sadly though Sue couldn't make it.  She's missed her ride, which meant walking all the way back from Soul City and her absence is something of a blow.  That said the three ladies do full justice to the somewhat different choreography and Lulu gets the green light alongside her more experienced colleagues.  So an 8 for the dance with Lulu as my DotD.

Re: SILLY LOVE SONGS

  Yep this is very good indeed and its one i play often. I agree with my learned friends here about this absence of Sue and i can just picture her decked out in a yellowy two piece outfit. Seems Sue drew the Short straw and landed the special assignment for the following week, providing the eye candy whilst our three boys goofed about on the furniture.
   Then again, would four dancers have been to much, probably yes. DOTD is a toughie. Cherry and Patti are bang on form here, looking lovely and seem obviously positioned by Flick out on the wings. I like to think this only highlighted Lulu more and maybe that was the thinking. There can be no doubt about it, `Lulu` was 'uber cute' in this and fully deserves my selection for DOTD, even if she lost her way towards the end.

Rating 9.25 out of 10.

Re: SILLY LOVE SONGS

I like Flick's arrangement here: a beautiful, almost theatrical, setting with the backdrop of candles, and our three heroines always the focus of attention.

I'm chuffed at the love for Lulu here, as she looks bright as a button, and despite those brief lapses, effortlessly makes her way back into the routine - I hope Flick didn't give her too much of a telling off afterwards.  I also love Cherry's smile to camera in the first verse. And for me, this routine is a shining example of Patti being portrayed as a classical beauty.

DotD: Lulu

Score: 9

Re: SILLY LOVE SONGS

Gorgeous Daze
I'm not usually one for silly love songs, but I love Silly Love Songs. If it was a Beatles' song it would be in my top ten. Shock horror, stick that in your hash pipe and smoke it Mr Lennon. Sometimes All You Need Is...a simple routine. There's little latitude, but a host of romantic candles and three beautiful young ladies full of the joys of Spring really does the trick. I don't believe there's any need to say why the costumes are appealing!

Lulu is noticeably less assured than her two seniors, but in a way it only makes her even more luvvable. It's the dancers fan's equivalent of going gooey over the early attempts at joined up writing of a child who went on to become an Grade A student. The then current Grade A student was Cherry, who gives a prime demonstration of her special ability to seem to flirt directly with the viewer. I generally like the movements, particularly the ups and downs and the poses. The Pan's-hangover finger wagging to playfully reprimand us that love 'isn't silly', I could do without. Along with some other semaphore. But this is but a quibble and all in all it's a delightful performance.

DOTD the inimitable Cherry.  9/10

Re: SILLY LOVE SONGS

Andeebee
Lovely routine that would of got full marks if Sue was added, shame really.

But the routine is pleasant enough to a rather not annoying Wings tune (for once - that was saved for 1977)

The top totp totty for today is young Lulu place right in the middle of this Ruby sandwich, and it's Lulu you get drawn to (long legs, first flutterings of dance troup success, and growing confident everytime)

9.5

DOTD:- Lulu
Hopelessly Devoted to Sue

LNV

Re: SILLY LOVE SONGS

LNV
Three of out of the four Ruby Flipper lovelies dancing to one of Macca’s more completely thought out songs, with a prominent in the mix bounce-along bass-line.
Lulu is placed centrally and is as has been observed already, becomes the centre of our attentions, what a cutie-beauty Lulu is. In watching Lulu I am aware of how very young looking she is in the dance. Did Lulu still have an O’ level exam or two left to sit before the summer’s end I wonder ?  It doesn’t hurt Lulu’s appeal either that on closer inspection, purely for review purposes only you understand that Lulu’s lower bikini panties are noticeably tighter at the back, so cheeky of you Lulu ! It has been said that Babs from the Pans’ era was the cameraman’s favourite, who were only too pleased when asked, to follow in with a close up. I rather think after that time Lulu became the twinkle in the cameraman’s eye or lens should that be, hehe.

9/10
No curve ball ideas from Flick this time around in her choreography, just good old fashioned but timeless jaunty dance moves that are performed in a relaxed and cheerful manner; as evinced by those smiles to camera, show those good teeth Girls ! [Now there’s a question to chew over, did the three here have the best Teeth in the Troupes ?]

DotD: Lulu.
Very close between all three, but Lulu really beyond her obvious charms appears to work that little bit harder. The slightest of more pronounced hip thrusts and so on with the other moves, gives her the top spot.

Re: SILLY LOVE SONGS

PattiforPM
Some really interesting points made here I think.  Would four dancers and Sue's presence have made this an even better spectacle?  I'm not totally sure but I just know Sue would have looked the bee's knees and I would have loved to have seen in that yellow outfit Ryan mentions.  I must admit I had underestimated the appeal of the lovely Lulu in this one but she certainly does suit this song and dance.  This one is looking like a possible table-topper so, please, those who haven't voted yet, cast away.....

Re: SILLY LOVE SONGS

bucksby
Excellent routine. I love Cherry's face at 0.42, would make a great avatar picture. I keep thinking Patti's top looks like it is going to fall down! As for dancer of the day for me it is lulu. Considering she is only 16 here her confidence is great. I don't like the colour green but I haven't let that put me off! 9 out of 10 for the routine.

Re: SILLY LOVE SONGS

VintageVideos
Very good routine, although not one of my top favourites (goes to show how good RF actually were!). Nice & colourful but lacking a bit in variety. Still enough for 9 /10 and DotD Patti.

Re: SILLY LOVE SONGS

PattiforPM
Good to see the German jury back at the table and a Patti vote never goes amiss on this Thread either.  Good point about the Cherry close up Bucksby.  Actually I'm quite shocked that Cherry hasn't garnered more votes for this performance but young Lulu has become a force to be reckoned with on here.  I'd love to increase the pool of voters deciding between these three lovelies

Re: SILLY LOVE SONGS

With the four ladies dancing to this the dynamic would certainly have been a little different but my ticker could have coped just, I think!

Re: SILLY LOVE SONGS

I think this is a clever routine in that the dancers don't really move around alot but they still manage to get in lots of dance moves.It is also a great showcase for the two new dancers,letting the audience see what Lulu and Patti can do.I like the stage set-up too,with the dancers bathed in light surrounded by darkness save for some candles.Fine song by Wings too.
10/10
DofD: Lulu

Re: SILLY LOVE SONGS

Lookmacinanger
Very easy on the eye, an original piece of thinking by keeping everyone literally rooted to the spot. Another good track to work with and the overall interpretation produces an excellent routine. Dotd Cherry 9/10

Re: SILLY LOVE SONGS

Thanks for returning to these Threads to vote SuPaLu and Mac. I totally agree that Cherry deserves more recognition for this dance so I say good for you.  Thanks too for another max SuPaLu, the more I watch this Dance the more I enjoy it and I might just consider taking it to my Dessert Island

Re: SILLY LOVE SONGS

Andeebee
gimme the man with the clarinet and Sidney

Re: SILLY LOVE SONGS

PattiforPM
You can have the clarinetist ADB but Sidney is not available

Re: SILLY LOVE SONGS

Doc
Love the dance, it works really well with the song. So I'll give it a 9. Dotd: Despite the mistakes it's hard to resist Cutie Pie in this one.

Edit: What was I thinking giving it a 9. I always enjoy watching this so it's got to be 10!!!